Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 17, 2018, 6:29pm
A club with limited resources, a poor ground in a poor area, inadequate training facilities, a broken relationship between the board & the fans, a squad of very questionable talent & even less passion?

I hate to say it but, even if we survive this season, what next?
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 17, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 1
Despite what’s happening on and off the field at the moment I think we are still a reasonable prospect.

I get it’s a big risk to anyone coming in with our position and relegation a possibility. However if they can come in, smack a few heads together and get a reaction pulling us away to a safe finish this season then they can start afresh next season and put their own stamp on things.

We are a relatively big club in this division (historically) and have fans that most clubs in this and the next league would dream of. Our away following is incredible and there is most definitely potential here if managed right.

Big risk - big reward.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 17, 2018, 6:40pm; Reply: 2
I'd manage GTFC free of charge for the pure satisfaction of telling almost every man in that dressing room how shite they are.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 17, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 3

Would you manage GTFC ?  

Not for me I'm afraid, my knee is playing me up a bit nowadays and I have very little tactical nous.

I prefer to leave it to the so called experts.......anyway I don't think me and John could work together   :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 17, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 4
Too right i would. Big club in League 2 with the opportunity of a clean sweep in the summer and to bring in your own signings from day 1. As said, big reward for someone who can get it right. There will be loads of managers wanting the job. There will be a lot of chaff among them, but i'm sure there will be one or two nuggets, if we identify the right ones.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 17, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Would you manage GTFC ?  

Not for me I'm afraid, my knee is playing me up a bit nowadays and I have very little tactical nous.

I prefer to leave it to the so called experts.......anyway I don't think me and John could work together   :)

Just abit? You sound more mobile than a few on the books, are you available Saturday? 😆
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 17, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 6

Would you manage GTFC ?  

Nor me - I think my days of working for someone like that ended when I got a mind of my own!
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, February 17, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 7
Might as well
Posted by: RoboCod, February 17, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 8

Would you manage GTFC ?  

This knee complaint has reached epidemic proportions amongst Town fans due to our persistent 'knee jerk' reactions to the boards decisions.

#itsallourfault
Posted by: Earnyourstripes, February 17, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 9
I would have a pop at it, as long as Fenty doesnt offer me a drink at a pub in Tetney!
Not to sure i couldnt stop myself from telling him a few home truths, i would start with that bloody leather jacket!
Posted by: LH, February 17, 2018, 6:57pm; Reply: 10
Can I count this thread title as a formal offer?
Posted by: gytone, February 17, 2018, 6:59pm; Reply: 11
Too right I would manager of GTFC, is a great job, in I've applied and expect to be interviewed this week 😁
Posted by: WesternMariner, February 17, 2018, 11:23pm; Reply: 12
The first thing I'd do would be to take the squad in to do an early shift at Youngs and make them do some proper work until they'd earned enough at minimum wage to pay for a trip to watch a football match in Cambridge. Then we might not get smug useless illegitimates laughing at us and pulling male masturbator hand gestures when we've just drunk a days wages up the wall to watch journeymen stealing a wage and raping OUR club in the process. And I'd sack any of the girl privates who refused to do it.
Posted by: Tommy, February 17, 2018, 11:50pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'd manage GTFC free of charge for the pure satisfaction of telling almost every man in that dressing room how shite they are.

A sure fire way to motivate the players you'd be relying on to keep us in the division since the transfer window is closed.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 18, 2018, 2:32am; Reply: 14
Quoted from WesternMariner
The first thing I'd do would be to take the squad in to do an early shift at Youngs and make them do some proper work until they'd earned enough at minimum wage to pay for a trip to watch a football match in Cambridge. Then we might not get smug useless illegitimates laughing at us and pulling male masturbator hand gestures when we've just drunk a days wages up the wall to watch journeymen stealing a wage and raping OUR club in the process. And I'd sack any of the girl privates who refused to do it.

Then you be sued by every single one of them! Can't see any of their contracts containing a clause saying they have to work shifts in the local food processing factory anytime the manager feels like it.

They are Grimsby Town players, not prima Donna Premier league stars! I'd say they are in touch with the realities of working life!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 18, 2018, 2:35am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tommy

A sure fire way to motivate the players you'd be relying on to keep us in the division since the transfer window is closed.

I wish some of the fans in the stands that hurl out insults to the players realised this and just how counter-productive it is!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 18, 2018, 7:29am; Reply: 16
Think it was Luton that invited a pitch invader into their dressing room after a poor performance. Turned the clubs fortunes round and they aren't doing too bad now
Posted by: lukeo, February 18, 2018, 8:59am; Reply: 17
For a minute I thought this was someone at the club advertising the job to anyone willing to run the club from the fishy reading the title thread..
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 18, 2018, 10:16am; Reply: 18
Course I would. We are a big club in league 2. If and when we get it together (when Fenty is gone), we can pull in 7000 plus crowds and take 1000 plus away. This squad is absolutely shite, scandalously bad and we need a clean sweep. We need a clean sweep of the boardroom, the manager team and the players so we are proper in the excrement.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters
A club with limited resources, a poor ground in a poor area, inadequate training facilities, a broken relationship between the board & the fans, a squad of very questionable talent & even less passion?

I hate to say it but, even if we survive this season, what next?

Add to the above the fact that the best terms you could hope for is a rolling 6 month contract, so....

- If I was working in the EFL as a manager no, why would I?

- If I was working as a manager at a club in the top bit of the NL and had a chance of coming up no, why would I?

- If I was an assistant/academy coach at a big club no I'd probably be earning less at GTFC.

- If I was working in the lower half of the NL, possibly but from our perspective they are working at that level for a reason.

- If I was in the NL North/South possibly but only if I was earning more than working 9 - 5 and getting paid as a part time manager. It would be risky to give up the day job for a 6 month rolling deal.

- If I was unemployed? Yes but managers are not working in the game for a reason.

So there among other scenarios describes our current predicament - We're in deep sh1t!

Personally if I was a football manager I'd run a mile.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 18, 2018, 11:02am; Reply: 20
Talking about knees,

I am sure I put more effort in and was in more pain walking to the away end from my car,

Than most of the players put in all game,

Not many clubs take 800 fans to Cambridge so we are a big club in that aspect.
Posted by: darren9, February 18, 2018, 3:38pm; Reply: 21
I would manage town because I’m a fan and I love the club.

Would I do a good job?

Well, no. I’d be terrible. My experience runs to a couple of seasons on FIFA manager mode. I’d still be better than a slade though.

If I imagine I was actually a manager with a footballing background and badges and stuff then no. I wouldn’t manage town.

At the minute we have a club in free-fall no wins in a number of games (I’ve actually forgot the number. 12? 13?) a team made up of utter dross, a non chairman with a massive ego. A club based in an unfashionable area of the country. ... do we need to go on?

For an up and coming manager it may be seen as a stepping-stone to better things, they could look at how Hurst as climbed after leaving us but he’s the exception to the rule. How many other managers have left us to go into better things?

For an older manager this club has the air of a last job. Can you see slade getting employed again? Who’s going to want “sacked by Grimsby” on their CV in a couple of years time?

All of this is what is so concerning. The next appointment is crucial to the future of the club. I fear the pool of interested parties may be a little shallow.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 18, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 22
Regardless of this we need someone in this week as we can't let another game go by with the same old shite.

New man in sort the excrement heads out who don't give a intercourse and let's go.
Posted by: Cloudy, February 18, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
Talking about knees,

I am sure I put more effort in and was in more pain walking to the away end from my car,

Than most of the players put in all game,

Not many clubs take 800 fans to Cambridge so we are a big club in that aspect.

Which players didn't you think put any effort in Pete?
Posted by: TonySmith, February 18, 2018, 6:22pm; Reply: 24
"I'd manage GTFC free of charge for the pure satisfaction of telling almost every man in that dressing room how shite they are."
Yeah that should do the trick, Lew. Safety is assured.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 18, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from TonySmith
"I'd manage GTFC free of charge for the pure satisfaction of telling almost every man in that dressing room how shite they are."
Yeah that should do the trick, Lew. Safety is assured.

I think you may have been taking things too literally there.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 4:17pm