Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 13, 2018, 6:59am
If we could win and score goals - we can all wake up Sunday with a hangover, but happy in the belief that Wilko can secure enough points for us this season. That would be something.

I saw Wilko when he started playing for Town - a gangly teenager. My earliest memory was a cold Tuesday night match at BP on a boggy pitch,
Town were up by at least a couple of goals and both sides were accepting it.

Couple of minutes to go, he challenges for the ball, the defender clears and PW falls to the ground ... and stays down.
"Looks like Wilkinson's injured himself" I say......"Run himself into the ground" was the reply from my mate who's never wrong.

I kept watching Wilko, and sure enough he gradually hauled himself to his feet, tried to move but lacked the strength to lift his boots out of the mud -
and decided that standing still taking deep breaths with hands on hips was the order of the day.
"You'll do for me" was my immediate reaction.               (Kids: he was expending his last drop of energy out of pride & passion....not just for money)

Have to say I think the Town fans saying he should have been sacked along with Slade are wrong - even from where I am it was obvious
Paul was uncomfortable/unhappy with the role he was being asked to fulfill.

A win on Saturday and the soul of this club is taken off it's life-support IMO.
Well, we've got a Town legend managing us who's never lost us a game as manager - and fans motivated to travel and be noisy.
Just praying the 'real' GTFC show up on the pitch. I've got a feeling we'll slaughter them.

Posted by: ex-merseymariner, February 13, 2018, 7:14am; Reply: 1
Are you saying that Wilko had his boots stuck in the mud under Slade, and now has a chance to free himself,  take charge, reinvigorate and put some new boots on?!!? šŸ˜†
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 13, 2018, 7:31am; Reply: 2
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Are you saying that Wilko had his boots stuck in the mud under Slade, and now has a chance to free himself,  take charge, reinvigorate and put some new boots on?!!? šŸ˜†

Well,....not exactly.

I'm saying his heart's in the right place so let's give him a chance at managing!
It's pretty much a lottery whoever you pick in any case - every 'safe pair of hands'  manager has been sacked from several previous jobs in order to gain that reputation.

We need to be thinking short-term (survival) right now - so Wilko is clearly a decent shout given that he knows the players.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, February 13, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 3
My hope is that Wilkinson was ignored by slade and is able to have an instant impact with a few.tweaks to the side and in particular the tactics.
My fear is more of the same, so the first team selection and the playing style will be fascinating. ...
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 13, 2018, 7:47am; Reply: 4
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
My hope is that Wilkinson was ignored by slade and is able to have an instant impact with a few.tweaks to the side and in particular the tactics.
My fear is more of the same, so the first team selection and the playing style will be fascinating. ...

That's pretty much what I'm saying - I think Cambridge will give us a strong indication if there are better performances ahead.

I'm hoping the players are enjoying a different mood at the club and that will be reflected on the pitch on Saturday.

(It's the hope that kills you....  ::) )
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 13, 2018, 8:13am; Reply: 5
We have to give Wilko the benefit of doubt let`s see what he can do in the hot seat hopefully it works out and gets us back on track.UTM
Posted by: moosey_club, February 13, 2018, 8:32am; Reply: 6
Surely the only thing matters is that he had a purple Raleigh Chopper when he was younger as revealed by someone the other day ?

Wins is what matter right now....too soon for him to change the overall approach of the team ?? Maybe , but for me if he can make just a single change that indicates he recognises that its not how many strikers you have on the books, its how you create chances for them that matters then i will be very happy.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 13, 2018, 8:46am; Reply: 7
Quoted from moosey_club
Surely the only thing matters is that he had a purple Raleigh Chopper when he was younger as revealed by someone the other day ? .

Choppers were for the phoney tough. . Real rebels had grifters.

And FS1Eā€™s at 16.  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 13, 2018, 12:15pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Civvy at last

And FS1Eā€™s at 16.  ;D

ahhh...the grip twist gear change....mates little brother had the junior version Boxer(?) with the in pedal rear brake, great for drifting and speedway on Trin field...... Budgie ..the copper coloured smaller version of a Chopper......and Honda Camino's all the rage in my hood...

Posted by: moss_side_mariner, February 13, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 9
Looking forward to this game now. I hope it's as good as last seasons trip to Cambridge. We came away with a 1 - 0 victory after Dom Vose crossed for Berrett to head in. The drummers were non stop and the faithful followers were loud. Chants of "Paul Hurst's black and white army" went on for 20 minutes. (It turned out to be his last away game in charge). The win took us up to 6th. place,  firmly in play off territory.

I hope Wilco can release the squad of the Slade shackles, but as already stated, it's the hope that kills you.

UTM.

And the smaller Raliegh chopper was a Raliegh chipper.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 13, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 10
We will see how much input Paul had with Slade when we see the team Paul puts out at Cambridge,

My wife even remembers Paul making his debut for Town as a 17 year old all arms and legs running down the wing and scoring to make it 1-1.

When I told the wife who has not been to a game for 30 years that Paul has taken over from Slade,

She said " Is that the Paul Wilkinson I know "   :)

So he must have stuck in her mind all over the years.

Well done Paul her memory is not normally that good.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 13, 2018, 1:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

UTM.

And the smaller Raliegh chopper was a Raliegh chipper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323063349327?chn=ps&adgroupid=46781198765&rlsatarget=pla-403984088834&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=119204569&poi=&googleloc=9046240&device=c&campaignid=974199509&crdt=0

I think Chipper sat in between Budgie and Chopper ,  bit like the Strika sat between Boxer and Grifter .... happy days.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, February 13, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club

So where does that put the burner?šŸ˜‰
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 13, 2018, 1:41pm; Reply: 13
I think it likely in excess of 800 will travel that will be enough to spur the lads on to victory.
Posted by: Badger57, February 13, 2018, 3:13pm; Reply: 14
The only "Chopper" in my youth was Ron Harris of Chelsea. Right dirty illegitimate but I loved him! šŸ˜€
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 13, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last

And FS1Eā€™s at 16.  ;D

I had a Honda 50 :)
Posted by: lukeo, February 15, 2018, 7:16am; Reply: 16
Sadly I can't go but I urge every tom male private and Harry to go to this! Our last away flowing was dismal (I don't blame anyone for not going!) so let's show the player, wilko and mainly Fenty what we can give as fans and do when we are thought of. UTM
Posted by: TAGG, February 15, 2018, 8:41am; Reply: 17
This is going to be a big game but the next home game IMO will be the most important of the season.
I am hoping that we can get loads through the gate and create an atmosphere that shows the players just what this club means to us fans UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 15, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from arryarryarry

I had a Honda 50 :)

So did I ..... at 15 so could only use if off road at the back of the land behind Yarborough school and the Freshney

Good times!  :)
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 6:57am