Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Shilts, February 12, 2018, 8:43am
Of all names mentioned already my vote goes to Craig Elliot at Boston.

Sick of journeyman players and managers on the merry go round. Why get a bigger name manager that had success once with a club in league 1 but has since been hired and fired from 5 different jobs in the last 10yrs.

Instead get a winner from leagues below (Lincoln should know that), and all our previous best came as winners from below, Buckley and Hurst were nobody's till they came here (when I say nobody's, I mean managers on the up with proven records, but as yet unknown to us)

There's plenty out there that know only success and promotion, a la cowleys.

It would be a rapid rise for elliot, he was managing Shaw Lane a season ago!!!

But won 3 promotions with them in 4 seasons and left for Boston when they were 3pts off top with games in hand.

Now he's completely turned Boston round from a situation just like oirs currently. Want a bit of that.

Someone use to a budget as well and knows the lower leagues.

Not another Slade type.

If Fenty can't get an appointment right or do the relevant checks, clearly the Boston chairman can, and has an eye for a manager (Hurst, now Elliot), so if we poach their managers u know that the manager has been vetted by a competent chairman also.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 12, 2018, 8:51am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Shilts

Sick of journeyman players and managers on the merry go round. Why get a bigger name manager that had success once with a club in league 1 but has since been hired and fired from 5 different jobs in the last 10yrs.

Instead get a winner from leagues below (Lincoln should know that), and all our previous best came as winners from below, Buckley and Hurst were nobody's till they came here (when I say nobody's, I mean managers on the up with proven records, but as yet unknown to us)

But won 3 promotions with them in 4 seasons and left for Boston when they were 3pts off top with games in hand.

Now he's completely turned Boston round from a situation just like oirs currently. Want a bit of that.

Not another Slade type.

If Fenty can't get an appointment right or do the relevant checks, clearly the Boston chairman can, and has an eye for a manager (Hurst, now Elliot), so if we poach their managers u know that the manager has been vetted by a competent chairman also.

Dare JF go back to Boston Utd after last time?
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 12, 2018, 9:08am; Reply: 2
Quoted from arryarryarry

Dare JF go back to Boston Utd after last time?

Money talks, thing is does Fenty feel enough shame for the state the club is in to put it right regardless of personal cost to him, ie no more benign loans to sort out the excrement he has created.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 12, 2018, 9:18am; Reply: 3
All you have to do is look at the Cowley brothers for me and it's proof it works.

Let's get an upcoming fresh manager and not one that's been sacked a thousand times.
Posted by: Cloudy, February 12, 2018, 9:24am; Reply: 4
Quoted from jonnyboy82
All you have to do is look at the Cowley brothers for me and it's proof it works.

Let's get an upcoming fresh manager and not one that's been sacked a thousand times.

Or look at Bignoit as proof it doesn't?

McMenemy had been sacked by Doncaster.

Dave Booth appointed from within as was Woods and Rodger

There is NO right or wrong as to their background.

The only way to improve your chances of getting it right is to do thorough research and even then I bet the success rate wont be above 25%
Posted by: UTMariners, February 12, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Shilts

Not another Slade type.

Just had a further read about this guy and like the sound of him..
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 12, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 6
Buckley had done an exceptional job at Walsall and was doing good things at Kettering when Town got him.
Posted by: UTMariners, February 12, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 7
Boston fans seemingly worried...

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a4f032a4e125e18527b23fa7a0e12da4&topic=7026.0
Posted by: Abdul19, February 12, 2018, 9:43am; Reply: 8
Don't know anything about this chap although his career does look impressive to date. The Lincoln example isn't really right though as they took a manager from above them in the same league.
Posted by: Mariners_15, February 12, 2018, 9:48am; Reply: 9
He's only been managing at that level for a few months, to jump 2 divisions would be tough and I'd question whether his knowledge or contacts at this level would be good enough at the minute but certainly one to keep an eye on IMO.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 12, 2018, 9:51am; Reply: 10
He sounds the right type BUT we should bat out the Season with an interim boss from within and then recruit.Anyone coming in from outside will need a lot of experience due to the squad imbalance as long as we can avoid relegation the new man can come in and build .Just such a shame RS was allowed to get rid of 4-5 decent players and bring in dross in their place.
Posted by: benny1618, February 12, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 11
I would imagine that the budget he had available to him at Shaw Lane went some way to help the success he achieved . Money talks at those levels.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 12, 2018, 9:59am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Shilts

Not another Slade type.

Might be worth a look, worth noting that the Cowley's walked into a club that yes on the pitch where struggling but off the pitch had an owner committed to taking the club forward and happy to put some money behind doing it.

Off the pitch we are a basket case ATM.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 12, 2018, 10:01am; Reply: 13
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I think a lot depends on how much the club owner is willing to put in. Lincoln were able to attract the Cowleys because of that

As far as we are concerned no more non-league managers please (Hurst might have worked - eventually. Bignob did not) we can't afford to risk a non league bloke from a little club at this moment (although he might be useful if we go down)

Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 12, 2018, 10:11am; Reply: 14
I like the sound of him think we need someone who is on the up rather than on there way down the league's and just sees us as a last payday before retirement
Posted by: Grimal, February 12, 2018, 10:15am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mariners_15
He's only been managing at that level for a few months, to jump 2 divisions would be tough and I'd question whether his knowledge or contacts at this level would be good enough at the minute but certainly one to keep an eye on IMO.

What good has Slade done with his knowledge and contacts ?.

Posted by: hheh2, February 12, 2018, 10:16am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Abdul19
Don't know anything about this chap although his career does look impressive to date. The Lincoln example isn't really right though as they took a manager from above them in the same league.

So true, in an alternate timeline Braintree got promoted to league 2, we sacked Hurst and beat the vegans the playoffs after, Lincoln stayed excrement and Shrewsbury stayed excrement.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 12, 2018, 10:24am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Shilts

Not another Slade type.

Alan Buckley
First of all, how you can say Alan Buckley was a nobody before he came to Grimsby is beyond me. Alan was a very well respected professional footballer. Furthermore, although he came to Grimsby from non-league Kettering, he had also had Football League management roles with Walsall. Where he had steered them to the semi final of the League Cup, getting a draw at Anfield against a Liverpool side full of European Cup Winners.

Craig Elliot
Some information for you about Craig. Like Dennis Greene before him, Craig is an unqualified coach as far as Football League rules are concerned. Doesn't have UEFA B License, A License or the Pro License. So I am note sure how he would stand as potential manager. I am led to believe that he isn't much of a technical/tactical coach, and that most of his success to date in non-league, has been a result of pure hard work and being a good motivator of players. Certainly attributes that are important, but pretty useless if that is all he has in his armoury at Football League level.

He is a school teacher with a full time job in PE education. Some might get excited at that prospect, perhaps thinking he might be Cowleyesque. But don't get too excited, as Russell Slade was a PE teacher too

Posted by: mariner91, February 12, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 120790

He is a school teacher with a full time job in PE education. Some might get excited at that prospect, perhaps thinking he might be Cowleyesque. But don't get too excited, as Russell Slade was a PE teacher too

Physical education education? He's training gym teachers?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 12, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91

No, he is a school teacher.

Posted by: mariner91, February 12, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 20
Quoted from 120790

No, he is a school teacher.

Whoosh.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 12, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner91

Bet he says PIN number too!
Posted by: psgmariner, February 12, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19

Hopefully he doesn't do that when he is at the ATM machine.
Posted by: Henryscat, February 12, 2018, 11:53am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

sodomist! I say PIN number and have never thought how stupid I must sound until just then
Posted by: towncryer, February 12, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

What the hell difference does that make. We had been down the likes of your Phil Brown appointment merry go round. Fortunately our chairman/board identified an up and coming manager and took a punt on him and don't forget we just didn't get Danny we got Nicky aswell and that also makes a big difference. Fenty being a dinosaur will go for a dinosaur and the merry go round will continue.
Posted by: mariner91, February 12, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from towncryer

What the hell difference does that make. We had been down the likes of your Phil Brown appointment merry go round. Fortunately our chairman/board identified an up and coming manager and took a punt on him and don't forget we just didn't get Danny we got Nicky aswell and that also makes a big difference. Fenty being a dinosaur will go for a dinosaur and the merry go round will continue.

Have I missed something? Pretty sure we've not appointed anyone yet.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 12, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 120790

Alan Buckley
getting a draw at Anfield against a Liverpool side full of European Cup Winners.

A draw? That's nowt. Lenny won at Liverpool

Posted by: ginnywings, February 12, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 27
If not Craig Elliot, then someone like him is the way forward for me. The fly in the ointment is our current league position and maintaining our league status. Because we appointed Woods over Slade last time we were in the mire and going out of the league, i think the board will this time go for experience over taking a punt, which is a pity as i believe that a team of young and ambitious players, managed by a young and ambitious manager is the way forward. Bignot was the right idea but it will probably be his shenanigans that put off the board from going for another of his type.

I think the younger players we should be looking to recruit, would relate better to someone not much older than them, instead of a Slade type. This has been recently highlighted at Newport with their choice. Thing is though, they had nothing to lose and thought they would be going down anyway, such was their position at the time, and they possibly had one eye on being back in non league.

I've said before that GTFC are stuck between two stools. Some feel we are a big enough club to recruit good league managers and good league players, but i don't think we are, not at the moment anyway. There are teams out there that are less well supported than us, and have no choice but to make the very best of what they can afford player wise. Teams such as Accrington, Morecambe and the team who have just beaten us 3-0. Then there are the clubs like Luton who can afford the better players and that is what they do. We are falling somewhere in between those two set ups. So to me, it's a much better proposition to go for a young, lean squad of players with a point to prove, than carry on with this insane notion that we are a club capable of signing good league standard players, led by a big name manager. We just end up with people that were once capable, but are now not so. We are generally more successful with players and managers from below.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 12, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 28
Suely worth an interview.

As for the UEFA qualifications, he must have some understanding of the tactical and technical attributes of the game to have done as well as he has so far, is he part way to qualifying? I mean how hard can it be some of the ex-pro's that qualify don't appear to be the brightest sparks. Besides we have a proper coaching infrastructure in place now including science, analysis and strength and conditioning.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 12, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from towncryer

Calm down Bob - It's not a criticism of Lincoln! My point (quite obviously) was that it's not a like for like example. Taking a manager from 2 divisions lower is a lot different from taking one who just finished 3rd in the same division.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 12, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Abdul19

Calm down Bob - It's not a criticism of Lincoln! My point (quite obviously) was that it's not a like for like example. Taking a manager from 2 divisions lower is a lot different from taking one who just finished 3rd in the same division.

We all knew what you meant. You'll need large, brightly coloured lettered blocks to explain it to towncryer.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 12, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RoboCod

We all knew what you meant. You'll need large, brightly coloured lettered blocks to explain it to towncryer.

You'd probably be better off explaining it to his mum.  Then she'll have all night to explain it to him in bed  ;)
Posted by: Alfie, February 12, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 32
Only been managing at Conference North level for a few months. Too soon.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 12, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Cloudy

Or look at Bignoit as proof it doesn't?

McMenemy had been sacked by Doncaster.

Dave Booth appointed from within as was Woods and Rodger

There is NO right or wrong as to their background.

The only way to improve your chances of getting it right is to do thorough research and even then I bet the success rate wont be above 25%

That’s right. Do the research, preferably better than was done for Newell or for Lyons. But even if you do ask the right questions and get the right answers that is no guarantee. Appointing from below seems like a good idea but as we found out, it is still a gamble.

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 12, 2018, 3:01pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

A draw? That's nowt. Lenny won at Liverpool

Not against the calibre of Liverpool team that Buckley took Walsall to play against he didn't

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 12, 2018, 3:03pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from towncryer

Hello Steve O'Dare, how are you doing?

Posted by: moosey_club, February 12, 2018, 3:21pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
i think the board will this time go for experience over taking a punt, 1.  which is a pity as i believe that a team of young and ambitious players, managed by a young and ambitious manager is the way forward. Bignot was the right idea but it will probably be his shenanigans that put off the board from going for another of his type.

2. I've said before that GTFC are stuck between two stools.

1. The only problem with that scenario is that you need a young and ambitious board to support them, our board is not young and i think its fair to say they aren't that ambitious either seeing as they have publicly stated on numerous occassions they are fed up and want out !!

2. JF and Marley ?  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 12, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

1. The only problem with that scenario is that you need a young and ambitious board to support them, our board is not young and i think its fair to say they aren't that ambitious either seeing as they have publicly stated on numerous occassions they are fed up and want out !!

2. JF and Marley ?  ;)

:)
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 12, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 38
I have more money in my pocket than Marley has.

Posted by: chaos33, February 12, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 39
On balance, id prefer not to have someone with no coaching qualifications who's managerial experience is all at a level lower than the conference. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it would be insane, given the situation we are in as an EFL club. We're not in the conference any more. Let's have some ambition and vision.
A coaching qualification is a pre requisite for me.
Posted by: LH, February 12, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 40
It’s almost so insane that it’s inevitable.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 17, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 41
Scraped a draw from being 3 nil down last week. Lost today.

Are there still people out there that would like this guy as our manager?

Incidentally, our chief scout was watching Boston United last week. The question is, was he looking at players? If so then who for, as we are managerless? Or was he possibly casting an eye over Elliot’s set up and touchline performance, maybe reporting on what he’s seen for Mr Fenty ???
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 17, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Like Paul Hurst?

You didn’t like him either though did you?
Posted by: Grim74, February 17, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Shilts

Not another Slade type.

intercourse it let's just sign the chairman
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 17, 2018, 11:07pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 120790
Scraped a draw from being 3 nil down last week. Lost today.

Are there still people out there that would like this guy as our manager?

Incidentally, our chief scout was watching Boston United last week. The question is, was he looking at players? If so then who for, as we are managerless? Or was he possibly casting an eye over Elliot’s set up and touchline performance, maybe reporting on what he’s seen for Mr Fenty ???

We have a  chief scout?

If he was involved in signing some of the crap we have  now he should be sacked as well
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from arryarryarry

We have a  chief scout?

If he was involved in signing some of the crap we have  now he should be sacked as well

Yes he's just got his badges for sewing on buttons, bob a job and lighting fires!
Posted by: Davec, February 18, 2018, 7:16am; Reply: 46
Graham Rodger is our chief scout
Posted by: lukeo, February 18, 2018, 7:26am; Reply: 47
Maybe it's just me but apart from going part time to full time what's the different jumping 2 divisions? You can still use the same approach, still have the same amount of players who start a game etc. I can understand a footballer it's a big jump as you're playing against fitter, more experienced players on the field.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 18, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 48
Boston will place a big fee on Elliot after the last shenanigans between Fenty and Boston.

If Fenty wants him he is going to have to dig deep into his pocket something I don't think he will be prepared to do, then he has to persuade him to somehow live on a rolling contract.

Make no bones about it I reckon we are in the shat money wise after this disastrous season.

Even if we survive this season WTF we are going to do next season I don't know, we really are in shitcreek with only half a paddle.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 18, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 49
Quoted from lukeo
Maybe it's just me but apart from going part time to full time what's the different jumping 2 divisions? You can still use the same approach, still have the same amount of players who start a game etc. I can understand a footballer it's a big jump as you're playing against fitter, more experienced players on the field.

Why are you not head teacher of eton, Oxford university or even UWE?

Probably the same jump as you mentioned in jobs
Posted by: 11MARINER11, February 18, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 50
Contact with Boston been made by GTFC apparently ?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 18, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Boston will place a big fee on Elliot after the last shenanigans between Fenty and Boston.

If Fenty wants him he is going to have to dig deep into his pocket something I don't think he will be prepared to do, then he has to persuade him to somehow live on a rolling contract.

Make no bones about it I reckon we are in the shat money wise after this disastrous season.

Even if we survive this season WTF we are going to do next season I don't know, we really are in shitcreek with only half a paddle.

I saw the half a paddle get dropped over the side a bit ago and the plugs got lost WERE DOOMED
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 18, 2018, 8:51am; Reply: 52
Quoted from 11MARINER11

And apparently phil brown was round at Fenty's on friday
Posted by: H19P1, February 18, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 53
Quoted from 11MARINER11

Where's that come from fella?
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 18, 2018, 9:10am; Reply: 54
I was told prior to yesterday's match I was told, that neither Brown, McCall, Stockdale or Elliot are on the shortlist.  Not sure how reliable this info is, McCall, is out so 25% correct as for the rest only time will tell.
Posted by: 11MARINER11, February 18, 2018, 9:15am; Reply: 55
Workmate knows someone at GTFC , get's a lot of info of him , most of which turn out to be bang on !
Posted by: Davec, February 18, 2018, 9:17am; Reply: 56
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I was told prior to yesterday's match I was told, that neither Brown, McCall, Stockdale or Elliot are on the shortlist.  Not sure how reliable this info is, McCall, is out so 25% correct as for the rest only time will tell.

Incidentally I also heard that, I also got told that Mark Warburton has been approached by the club, I really can't see him coming but would be a coup if he did.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 18, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 57
I am fascinated to know who comes up with all the names of managers (not the ones who have put themselves forward by applying of course) who we might approach, after all you could write everything Fenty and Marley know about football on the back of a stamp and still have room to sign it 'Shut Up!'
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 18, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

And apparently phil brown was round at Fenty's on friday

I was told that as well.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 18, 2018, 2:18pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from grimsby pete

I was told that as well.

Maybe they were just playing snooker?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 18, 2018, 2:31pm; Reply: 60
The Phil Brown at Fenty's was on Twitter. Someone spotted a Range Rover with the reg "Phil B"
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 18, 2018, 2:33pm; Reply: 61
I can't help but picture them sat together in matching brown leather jackets.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 18, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

On the snooker table.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 18, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 63

and John saying " I do like your tan Phil where do you go and can you get me booked in ? "   ;D
Posted by: Grim74, February 18, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 64
I'd take Phil Brown now full of enthusiasm and positivity just what we need right now.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 18, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 65

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lkiPq6x.jpg[/img]
Posted by: barrattstandman, February 18, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 66
What about Uwe Rosler, no ones mentioned him now he’s just got the sack at Fleetwood. Another name to add to the list
Posted by: chaos33, February 18, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 67
He's been mentioned on other threads. I'd be more than happy with him.
Posted by: Shilts, February 18, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 68
Mark Warburton would be immense. Surely out of our reach tho?

Everyone else mentioned seems to divide opinion. If Fenty pulled that off surely everyone could get behind it.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 18, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 69
Depends how keen Warburton is to be back in the game but glasgow rangers and forest to us ... I doubt it
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 18, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Davec

Incidentally I also heard that, I also got told that Mark Warburton has been approached by the club, I really can't see him coming but would be a coup if he did.

Cannot see this appointment, he would not come for the dough we would pay, also he would use his loaf and await something better.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 18, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Gaffer58

Cannot see this appointment, he would not come for the dough we would pay, also he would use his loaf and await something better.

He could come on a temporary basis until the end of the season to make sure we're not toast.

Sandwich it in between jobs at Championship level..
Posted by: Abdul19, February 18, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 72
He might struggle to get that championship gig if the sandwich filling is relegation to non league.
Posted by: UTMariners, February 19, 2018, 10:06am; Reply: 73
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05v8p69

Elliot asked about it by Radio Lincolnshire. Not sure who the twit is on there hat said when Hurst and Scott came to us we were a much a bigger club than we are now..
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 10:58pm