Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 11, 2018, 4:09pm
YES!
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 1
This better not be a wind up !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 2
Thank God only 6 month rolling contract.
Posted by: LH, February 11, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 3
flipping GET IN THERE TOWN!
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 11, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 4
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/board-of-directors-statement---russell-slade3/
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
This better not be a wind up !!!!!!!!!!

Official statement from board.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 11, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 6
Wilko in temporary charge, a bit strange given Wilko has sat back and gone along with the shite on the pitch.
Posted by: sutton mariner, February 11, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 7
YESSSSS
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 8
Its 33 games too late but at least we are moving forward in the right direction. I can understand Wilko taking charge, Dave Moore has always said he doesn't want the job so Wilko is the only choice really as they would never of given the job to Woods again.

I don't think we should expect any immediate changes though, Slade has assembled a very poor squad and we are rather limited with having a thousand strikers on the books and not really anything else anywhere else.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from pontoonlew
Wilko in temporary charge, a bit strange given Wilko has sat back and gone along with the shite on the pitch.

If the rumours are true maybe that's why they did not get on because Slade did not take any notice to Wilko's advice.
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 10
Thank God. Wilko should've gone too, but let hope we can stop the rot in the next game or two.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 11
Great stuff. Few weeks late but better now than never. And what a surprise that the 4 year deal rumour was a load of balderdash!
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, February 11, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 12
(groupwave)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 11, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoonlew

Well that’s what it looks like to us fans but I guess we are going to find out in next couple of games if he is a man with his own ideas and way of playing.

Now the guessing starts of who will come in, Simon Grayson may be an option if we want some experience and has had a few successes and guy in charge at Macclesfield has done a good job on what must be a tight budget.
Posted by: barrattstandman, February 11, 2018, 4:21pm; Reply: 14
Don’t forget the manager decides tactics etc, assistant can only go along with what manager wants. Can only hope this is the turning point
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 11, 2018, 4:21pm; Reply: 15
Fantastic! Back to Blundell Park next Saturday. VERY happy.
Posted by: mimma, February 11, 2018, 4:21pm; Reply: 16
You assume that Wilko was responsible for the tactics along with Slade. He was probably as p1ssed off as us having to watch the God awful tactics Slade was responsible for.

Good riddance
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well that’s what it looks like to us fans but I guess we are going to find out in next couple of games if he is a man with his own ideas and way of playing.

Now the guessing starts of who will come in, Simon Grayson may be an option if we want some experience and has had a few successes and guy in charge at Macclesfield has done a good job on what must be a tight budget.

Taken over at Bradford.
Posted by: supertown, February 11, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 18
Great
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 11, 2018, 4:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MarinerRob
Fantastic! Back to Blundell Park next Saturday. VERY happy.

You’ll be on your own! 😂
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 11, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 20
phew!
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 11, 2018, 4:25pm; Reply: 21
Just realised that. The excitement got too much. How about Cambridge then?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 11, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19

Taken over at Bradford.

Missed that been out all day. Oh well Big Sol Campbell then, he could probably afford to buy the club as well should he not get on with the board.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 11, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerRob
Just realised that. The excitement got too much. How about Cambridge then?

Already got the tickets 🙂
Posted by: Hagrid, February 11, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 24
Wilko shouldve gon too but thank intercourse!!
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 11, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 25
Time and results will tell if it was too late especially when he should have gone before the transfer window.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 11, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 26
The right decision but overdue.

Now GTFC have to get this appointment right - immediately discounting in-house appointments
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 11, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 27
Strange. I was just going to post "Why do they not do board meetings on a Sunday at BP?" Thank fcuk for that, let's rebuild, let's move on. UTFM!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 28
Good news, bit concerned about the Wilko bit in the statement.
Posted by: TAGG, February 11, 2018, 4:31pm; Reply: 29
Big breath.

Let’s move on, get behind the team in numbers and pack out BP
UP THE MARINRS 👍🏻
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 11, 2018, 4:32pm; Reply: 30
At least 6 weeks too late, but at least it's the right decision, hopefully scrape enough points this season to survive, whilst allowing for the right appointment to be made, for the hope of pushing on next season...UTM
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 31
Glad he was only on a six month rolling contract. Shows how reliable golfer is with his info  ::) . Never believed he was on £138K a year for four years or whatever it was that was being bandied about, even Fenty isn't that stupid.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, February 11, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 32
Thank God. Finally some sense.

Should have pulled the trigger a month ago but hey.

13 games left. Need 14-15 pts. Convinced we would not have got them under Slade.

Let's see what Wilko can do. I have been critical of him as i questioned the input he had on team affairs. We shall see if he did have some ideas or whether his opinions were just ignored .

If nothing else it gives the fans a glimmer of hope. Let's put Fenty to one side for now (but his position is still an issue to be resolved at a later date) and unite behind the team over the upcoming games and hopefully get us out of the mess we have got into.

UTM
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 11, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 33
Just bought ticket for next Saturday at Cambridge. A new dawn - let's hope.
Posted by: TAGG, February 11, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Good news, bit concerned about the Wilko bit in the statement.

I’m not that happy about it but ye never know he may turn out to be good at the job without Slade in the way.

What does this mean.
Are we moving swiftly or we can’t be rushed???
Contradicting or what. Can they make it any more confusing??

A competitive recruitment process will now take place until a suitable replacement is found. This is one of the most important appointments in the long history of the club and cannot be rushed, but it is important that we move swiftly with a new leader to turn around the current form.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 11, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 35
I always feel that there must have been differences between an assistant and the manager when they are not sacked together.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 11, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 36
This news has made my Sunday, I was a bit down after yesterday’s result, let’s hope we can kick on from  here and ensure we beat the drop, staying in league 2 is now the ultimate aim. UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 4:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from friskneymariner
Thank God only 6 month rolling contract.

Despite what "reliable source" kept telling everyone on here.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 38
The board have finally snapped out of the mass denial that had overcome them  :o

Sadly it's going to take a long time to get rid of Slade's legacy. Another year down the drain  :)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 39
Thank God it's over. Time to consign this period to history and start over with a clean slate. Pack the park and up the Mariners!
Posted by: GyMariner, February 11, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 40
Am I right in saying wilko has experienced promotion from this league? Which might indicate he never had a great input with russ
Posted by: Perkins, February 11, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 41
"We wish Russell all the best for the future and thank him for some of the improvements he has implemented on and off the field."

What? Anyone notice?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 11, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 42
Better late than never , well done john .

Now let's get behind the club and look forward , I have no doubt this would have been a very hard decision for john as he had backed him all the way and one thing you cant deny is the support he gave Russell at this club.

It needed to be done as we were sinking like a stone from top to bottom.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, February 11, 2018, 4:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted Text
The Board would like to thank Russell for his efforts and hard work and are bitterly disappointed that this did not turn out differently. He had a strong working relationship with the Board and all involved are disappointed to see a good, hardworking and honest man, who cared intensely about the club, lose his job.

Nah you can intercourse off Slade.

Hopefully we can now consolidate our position and move forward and not dig up relics from the past like Slade.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 11, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 44
Should have happened weeks ago but fair play to John and the board for finally admitting it wasn’t going to work.

Now let’s really get behind the team and be part of turning this club back around!!!

Up the mariners!!!!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 45
Typical. I go out for a walk along the prom to clear my head and miss the big announcement. Whilst i was out i was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that he would have to be sacked, either today or tomorrow. The club had no options left and the board had to act. I also got to thinking that if the rumours are true of Slade and Wilko not getting on, then maybe Wilko would be spared and given the team to look after until a new No1 could be recruited. He is the assistant manager after all. I don't think it matters who is in temporary charge if the new man is installed fairly quickly. Wilko, Andy Warrington and Dave Moore have the experience to keep us ticking over for now.

As for the rumours of the massive contract, it was just crazy to even think that the board would sanction that, and so it proves.

Please, please, please get this next appointment right.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, February 11, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 46

Up to now I had felt resigned to the fact Town were going down.  I had given up on any hope under Slade. At least with him gone I have some renewed optimism.

Lets give Wilko a chance and see what the longer term solution is. First things first ...lets get a win soon and hopefully get some confidence back into the players (and supporters).

3 pts at Cambridge would be fantastic but is maybe a big ask. But an hour ago i had zero hope of getting anything on Saturday...at least now I can dream.
Posted by: TAGG, February 11, 2018, 4:56pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Perkins
"We wish Russell all the best for the future and thank him for some of the improvements he has implemented on and off the field."

What? Anyone notice?

Doesn't matter now mate.
He's gone and anything he implemented can soon be ironed out 👍😀😀
Posted by: Hagrid, February 11, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 48
Made my hangover feel 10X better
Posted by: fleabag1970, February 11, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 49
Brilliant ... I have no problem returning to Blundell park now
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 11, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob
The board have finally snapped out of the mass denial that had overcome them  :o

Sadly it's going to take a long time to get rid of Slade's legacy. Another year down the drain  :)

You say a similar thing every time we change the manager. There is no master plan we are working to, its just the norm. To be fair it is the norm for most clubs. It is not a year wasted, its just another year in the roller coaster ride.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 51
Sonic please tell John we the posters on here have hundred of years  of accumulated football knowledge.

We are not against him personally,but neither will we be fed any management speak bullsh**te.

Tell him to engage with us constructively he will be very pleasantly surprised by the response he gets.
Posted by: EY Mariner, February 11, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 52
I take no pleasure in the announcement this afternoon. I never wanted Russell Slade back in our dugout in the first place, but I still wanted things to work out better than what they did. However, it's clear to me that the main person he has to blame for his departure is himself. When he came in, he had a promising group of players to work with. It was a group who, with the right additions in the right areas of the field, could have challenged at the right end of the table this season. Instead, he tried to fix something which was nowhere near as broken as the level of change we have seen suggested and I'm afraid he, but more so we, have paid for that.
Posted by: sam gy, February 11, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 53
People annoyed about Wilko being in temporary charge: maybe just stop moaning for a bit and get behind the man. Slade has gone.

Also, stop pretending that you have any idea about how his working relationship was with Slade and how much input he had. You don’t know.

Yes, he has been the ASSISTANT to a very unsuccessful manager, but he’s still had a great coaching career and is better placed than Dave Moore to take temp charge.
Posted by: sam gy, February 11, 2018, 5:17pm; Reply: 54
(Obviously not taking anything away from Dave, who is an absolute hero)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 55
So if it was a 6 month rolling contract all the time why did the club just not come out and say it, ?

Maybe Slade did not want it known.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 11, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from chaos33
Thank God. Wilko should've gone too, but let hope we can stop the rot in the next game or two.

If Wilkinson is running the show now I fear relegation just as much.

I had hoped they would wait until the end of the season before jumping in (yet again) with both feet and signing yet another duffer but if its to be Wilkinson then the sooner a new man (and NOT Wilkinson) is appointed the better.

Wilkinson can't lose, if we go down he just blames Slade,. Bet he can't believe his luck just keeping his job.
Posted by: d3d4, February 11, 2018, 5:22pm; Reply: 57
Plenty of good candidates and if you can stay up, which you should, then whoever is chosen can assess the squad ahead of the summer.

Brian McDermott would be a good choice - smart, good tactics, good contacts too.
Phil Brown - has had great success elsewhere but I think you could get better
Chris Hargreaves - excellent coach with Bristol Rovers Academy and knows the club - bit inexperienced perhaps.

any thoughts?
Posted by: Vance Warner, February 11, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 58
Remember when we had Rodger as caretaker manager and beat Barnsley 6-1. We then got Nicky Laws in and got relegated. We need the best person for a short term impact if that turns out to be Wilko then good luck to him.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from sam gy
People annoyed about Wilko being in temporary charge: maybe just stop moaning for a bit and get behind the man. Slade has gone.

Also, stop pretending that you have any idea about how his working relationship was with Slade and how much input he had. You don’t know.

Yes, he has been the ASSISTANT to a very unsuccessful manager, but he’s still had a great coaching career and is better placed than Dave Moore to take temp charge.

You do realise that Dave has a hell of a lot more experience as a manager than Wilko or are you too young to remember that far back.  :) Certainly sensible though giving Paul the reigns for now
Posted by: Badger57, February 11, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 60
Hallelujah 🙌 Hallelujah 🙌 Hallelujah!  🙌
Nothing more to say right now. :-)
Posted by: RonMariner, February 11, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 61
At last.
Posted by: Bignic69, February 11, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 62
Time now for all those who said they wouldn't attend BP while Slade was in charge, to turn up and encourage the lads on the pitch and more importantly show Fenty that we as supporters. don't speak out our arses and are true to our word.  
Posted by: toontown, February 11, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 63
Massively relieved that useless lump has gone. He was given enough money in my opinion so can have no complaints - he chose to spend it on vast quantities of dross and on paying off players signed by previous managers, rather than on adding quality players to those here. Utterly outdated tactically too.
Board have shown themselves right up to have left us in this situation of the window having just slammed shut when we finally get rid of slade. Right decision but nobody can claim it should not have been taken earlier. Whoever comes in now has one hand tied behind their back.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 11, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 64
Despite all the statements of support for RS I would hope that the board were prepared for this moment and have already done some due diligence on prospective candidates.
Posted by: DaleGTFC, February 11, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 65
Long long long overdue, but finally it is done.

I still don't forgive the man after 2006, he was quick to go and loved handpicking our players at the time, in our revenge I hope the man never manages again. It always catches up with you in the end Russ.. you had a good run I suppose.

Devastated at some of the players he let go but we can't dwell on it as we have to stick together and move on now and secure this status for another year. In doing so, a big clear out has to happen.

See you all at Cambridge

UTM

Posted by: Ipswin, February 11, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from DaleGTFC

See you all at Blundell Park vs Cambridge

UTM

Next season you mean?
Posted by: sam gy, February 11, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Madeleymariner

You do realise that Dave has a hell of a lot more experience as a manager than Wilko or are you too young to remember that far back.  :) Certainly sensible though giving Paul the reigns for now

No, I’m more than aware! But, he has not been a coach/manager for a LONG time and I’m sure is more than happy being a physio. No doubt he’ll muck in whilst we don’t have a permanent manager too though.
Posted by: DaleGTFC, February 11, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Ipswin

Next season you mean?

Hope so! Thought we were at home for some reason.

It's that champagne mate. What a relief.
Posted by: chicaneuk, February 11, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 69
Needed to happen really. This losing streak has been truly shocking. Hope the players have it in them to turn it around under a new manager.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 11, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from DaleGTFC
Long long long overdue, but finally it is done.

I still don't forgive the man after 2006, he was quick to go and loved handpicking our players at the time, in our revenge I hope the man never manages again. It always catches up with you in the end Russ.. you had a good run I suppose.

Devastated at some of the players he let go but we can't dwell on it as we have to stick together and move on now and secure this status for another year. In doing so, a big clear out has to happen.

See you all at Cambridge

UTM

I'm devastated at some of the crap he has left behind.
Posted by: heppy88, February 11, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 71
Well done to the board in making the right decision. A decision that would have been backed 100% by the fans. The decision could not have been easy for the board and especially Fenty. Their public backing of Slade and his "building for the future" b0ll0cks left them in a no-win situation, as either decision left them with egg on their faces. This will I’m sure will take some of the pressure off the board though, especially if results are favourable.
Good luck to Wilko and his team. Please get us out of this dire mess we find ourselves in.

As for Mr Fenty please, please, please take your time, carry out due diligence and get the right man in. Even if that man will occasionally question YOUR decisions, it's not a failure to take advice from others and it can save you a lot of strife and heartache in the long run! UTMM!!!!
Posted by: Garth, February 11, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from pontoonlew

I remember a quiet man who had little to say whilst his co manager ruled the roost (Paul Hurst) he turned out working on his own OK, Time will tell
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 73
We are still in big trouble even without him. A huge period of instability in what is a massively important end of the season.

Terrifying.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 11, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 74
Phew..
Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 11, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 75
joy joy it's made my weekend after that tosh yesterday I can see a possible light at the end of the Tunnel after sufferIng the mental torture of  Yeovil and Crawley away totally unacceptable  THANK YOU MR FENTY ;D
Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 11, 2018, 6:40pm; Reply: 76
yep headingly we are up against it it could go badly wrong for us with out him but I couldn't see it getting better  so I'm happy for Town to take their chances It's up to us the fans to help and get behind our Club.
Posted by: Pontooner, February 11, 2018, 6:47pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We are still in big trouble even without him. A huge period of instability in what is a massively important end of the season.

Terrifying.

Totally agree.

13 games to go and the Board intend to go through a competitive recruitment process. So it could be two, or three games before a replacement is installed.

Were in real trouble now, but if Wilkinson can't pick up some points before then, the replacement will walk into a full on crisis.  
Posted by: golfer, February 11, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 78
Don't know what the guys done to deserve the sack :)  As a reward I think we ought to ask J.S.F. if he wants to be Chairman.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Pontooner

Totally agree.

13 games to go and the Board intend to go through a competitive recruitment process. So it could be two, or three games before a replacement is installed.

Were in real trouble now, but if Wilkinson can't pick up some points before then, the replacement will walk into a full on crisis.  

I don't think we are.......yet. A point a game over the rest of the season will probably be enough. The situation is bad, but not yet dire.
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2018, 7:03pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from golfer
Don't know what the guys done to deserve the sack :)  As a reward I think we ought to ask J.S.F. if he wants to be Chairman.

Least he'll have got a nice big pay off from his £138K a year, 4 year contract eh?
Posted by: rancido, February 11, 2018, 7:10pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from mariner91

Least he'll have got a nice big pay off from his £138K a year, 4 year contract eh?

Exactly - from the person who was supposed to know something we didn't! It seem to me all golfer knows is jack sh*t.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 11, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from rancido

Exactly - from the person who was supposed to know something we didn't! It seem to me all golfer knows is jack sh*t.

This
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from rancido

I think a lot of golfer's posts are done tonque in cheek   ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think ALL GOLFER'S posts are done tongue in cheek. :)
Posted by: Caveman, February 11, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 85
Perhaps they'll let the new chairman pick the
next manager.
Posted by: northbankmariner, February 11, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 86
Like everyone else on here I am pleased that the town board have decided enough is enough and with 13 games left it is enough time to steady the ship, if and only if the right appointment is made.
What I can see happening is town fans having unrealistic expectations of who we could recruit as the next manager. Anyone decent at the job is already employed, and town will not have the money to pay compensation.  Do we go for an up and coming non league manager ?, Bignot was not a great success. An experienced steady old hand, mmmm that was Slade  wasn't it ? An ex town player, no thank you.  I do not have the answer and am making no suggestions but I hope that whoever is appointed as the next manager gets the full backing of everyone connected with the club. But we need to be realistic as to who we can attract and the style of football that is going to be asked of lower league footballers.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 87
Will Matt Dean be allowed back now?
Posted by: Davec, February 11, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 88
My concern is that Wilko wins the next 2 and he gets given the job permanently but then after that it all goes to pot and in 9 months time Wilko is sacked...
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 11, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Davec
My concern is that Wilko wins the next 2 and he gets given the job permanently but then after that it all goes to pot and in 9 months time Wilko is sacked...

If I was the board, considering the situation the club find themselves in, I would be looking at the situation on a game to game basis. But you also have to have a manager in position ready to take his place if things aren't going well on the pitch.
But if there isn't anybody in place what do the board do if we are still losing?
Do they let Paul carry on, do they install another caretaker manager or do they make another rash full time management decision?
Let's hope we start winning and start pulling away from the relegation zone.
Unless of course they already have someone in place and Paul is just there to manage the training over the next few days.

Posted by: forza ivano, February 11, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 90
Whatever we might think of jf he isn't stupid, he's a cunning individual. IMHO was intrigued to hear that Phil brown was on radio humberside last week. Think there is a ready made replacement just waiting to be asked. One final thought .if it was only a 6 month rolling contract like everyone else's why was jf so reluctant to confirm it? My suspicion is that there has been a little deal behind the scenes which leaves everyone happy
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 11, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from forza ivano
Whatever we might think of jf he isn't stupid, he's a cunning individual. IMHO was intrigued to hear that Phil brown was on radio humberside last week. Think there is a ready made replacement just waiting to be asked. One final thought .if it was only a 6 month rolling contract like everyone else's why was jf so reluctant to confirm it? My suspicion is that there has been a little deal behind the scenes which leaves everyone happy

Like the not so stupid , cunning.behind the scenes decision to appoint Russell Slade. That said Iwouldn't have any problem with Phil Brown.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Will Matt Dean be allowed back now?

Matt Dean was never banned!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I never said he was ;)
Posted by: golfer, February 12, 2018, 7:39am; Reply: 94
Quoted from rancido

A fool is a fool who believes everything that a fool foolishly repeats what a fool told him about a fool  P.S. if you believe that statement issued by GTFC you are definitely fools. A deal was done on condition that participants keep it a secret so that somebody could keep face. Another manager already lined up-similar scenario to last debacle
Posted by: golfer, February 12, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 95
Quoted from promotion plaice

It kept the Fishy conversation going when nothing much coming out of B.P.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 12, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 96
Quoted from golfer

A fool is a fool who believes everything that a fool foolishly repeats what a fool told him about a fool  P.S. if you believe that statement issued by GTFC you are definitely fools. A deal was done on condition that participants keep it a secret so that somebody could keep face. Another manager already lined up-similar scenario to last debacle

I don't know if you do know stuff or are just bullshitting but am inclined to believe the scenario you describe. When will Phil brown be announced then?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 12, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 97
The Cardiff and Coventry fans are delighted for us.Can anyone recall any other Manager as unpopular as Slade either at Gy or anywhere? The past Month I cannot recall a single person other than JF backing him that in itself is very unusual and must be Slade`s last job in football management.
Posted by: Tommy, February 12, 2018, 9:58am; Reply: 98
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

He wasn't banned from entering the ground, but he wasn't allowed access to speak to the manager or any players. So yes, that's a ban in my eyes.
Posted by: Skrill, February 12, 2018, 10:16am; Reply: 99
This is nice news to hear! (sweatdrop)
All we ask is to avoid the drop, for the love of all that is HOLY, don't guide us back into the wilderness again
Posted by: ginnywings, February 12, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 100
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The Cardiff and Coventry fans are delighted for us.Can anyone recall any other Manager as unpopular as Slade either at Gy or anywhere? The past Month I cannot recall a single person other than JF backing him that in itself is very unusual and must be Slade`s last job in football management.

Mike Lyons. Not only did he think he could manage, he also thought he could play centre forward in a Roy of the Rovers type way.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 12, 2018, 11:08am; Reply: 101
Quoted from ginnywings

Mike Lyons. Not only did he think he could manage, he also thought he could play centre forward in a Roy of the Rovers type way.

Lyons time here was similar to Slades in that he was just a wrecking ball. Good intentions but a wrecker. Yet even under Lyons we had some genuine excitement, not least the Arsenal home game, Charlie Nicholas and all.
That game still stands out in the memory, Slade leaves here with nothing, no great one-off games to think back on, just bad feelings amongst the fans.
Awful appointment, can't begin to fathom the reasoning behind it.
Posted by: rancido, February 12, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 102
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think ALL GOLFER'S posts are done tongue in cheek. :)

....and tongue in cheek could be interpreted as lies.
Posted by: rancido, February 12, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 103
Quoted from golfer

So within that first sentence you admit to being a fool!
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 12, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 104
Quoted from rancido

....and tongue in cheek could be interpreted as lies.

So are you intimating that golfer is that well known bloke from the Town board, whose name escapes me ? 😉
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 12, 2018, 11:37am; Reply: 105
Quoted from RoboCod

Lyons time here was similar to Slades in that he was just a wrecking ball. Good intentions but a wrecker. Yet even under Lyons we had some genuine excitement, not least the Arsenal home game, Charlie Nicholas and all.
That game still stands out in the memory, Slade leaves here with nothing, no great one-off games to think back on, just bad feelings amongst the fans.
Awful appointment, can't begin to fathom the reasoning behind it.

Well the win over Spurs in his first spell was up there in fairness but I know what you mean.Lyons was a big name when we got him and I recall it caused a lot of initial excitement.Not sure if I have this right but he had a coach to start with called Terry Darracott and all was well then he left and ML took us steadily downhill to relegation?
Posted by: RoboCod, February 12, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well the win over Spurs in his first spell was up there in fairness but I know what you mean.Lyons was a big name when we got him and I recall it caused a lot of initial excitement.Not sure if I have this right but he had a coach to start with called Terry Darracott and all was well then he left and ML took us steadily downhill to relegation?

Exactly right. Darracott was well regarded, Lyons based his entire move here on the back of him joining him but he bailed out and stayed in his old position. Could have worked out had this not happened, imagine Buckley Mk I without Arthur Mann as his right hand man.

Lyons did have the off-field aspects of the club down well though, always getting the players down the docks and around the town, he appreciated the fans commitment. Slade Mk II was too busy messing up doing the clubs PR on the field to bother with all that.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 12, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah. And all of those forward forays (we were habitually chasing games under him...) included at least one pathetic, theatrical dive in the box.

On at least two occasions - before my eyes - when there was no opponent in touching distance!

Lyons was awful in every way....but then he  had an agenda to be awful (allegedly).
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 12, 2018, 11:31pm; Reply: 108
Some views from Coventry fans :-

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/slade.84097/

Slade on the other hand, was just a clown. The only buzz he brought to the club was the buzz of the life support machine being switched off come February, with his horrendous tactics and diabolical signings. We were dead and buried by February thanks to him.

Well not quite but not that far off.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 12, 2018, 11:49pm; Reply: 109

Oh well........that's the end of Gary Gaffer        http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6573
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:25am