Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, February 6, 2018, 11:10am
Not only are they floundering around in regional football they are in a right mess behind the scenes:

http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/thread/59545

There but for the grace of God....
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 6, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 1
Would be a tragedy if some bigger club came in and paid out a small fee for their manager after he's started to turn things around, sounds like they need all the money they can get in these desperate times.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/york-city/form-guide/eight
Posted by: Abdul19, February 6, 2018, 11:43am; Reply: 2
Losing £900k to be 122nd in the pyramid?  :o
Posted by: barrattstandman, February 6, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 3
Still some are in denial that it could be us .
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 6, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 4
One of my favourite awaydays Bootham Crescent. Clubs need to be more prudent I agree but the biggest problem with teams below the Championship is the paltry amount of money fed down.You only have to look at how teams that get relegated from the Prem get on ala Sunderland they have players on huge wages they can`t get rid of and they often drop to League 1 before they steady the ship.At least they had the money to waste FFS teams like GY and worse still the ex league teams below get next to nothing back it needs addressing BUT money talks so it won`t happen.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 6, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 5
Went to see York playing at Chorley earlier this season, and they still have some players who apparently cost them four figure sums still in the National League North. Madness.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, February 6, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 6
Doesn’t help that Jon Parkin is on 2k a week apparently and the knobhead manager they have (Martin Gray) splashing the cash like there’s no tomorrow. I ain’t surprised they are having financial problems. The bloke has to turn and sign a new player (normally strikers), everytime they fail to win a game.

They’ve got some massive players on huge wages still. Can’t see this ending for them unfortunately.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 6, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 1mickylyons
One of my favourite awaydays Bootham Crescent. Clubs need to be more prudent I agree but the biggest problem with teams below the Championship is the paltry amount of money fed down.You only have to look at how teams that get relegated from the Prem get on ala Sunderland they have players on huge wages they can`t get rid of and they often drop to League 1 before they steady the ship.At least they had the money to waste FFS teams like GY and worse still the ex league teams below get next to nothing back it needs addressing BUT money talks so it won`t happen.

Always used to win at York too. I think we must have gone about half a dozen games on the trot there in the 80's  and won every time.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 6, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 8
I posted similar comments earlier today about York City.  This was on a "Fenty" thread.

Being a Town exile living in York, I find all this very sad for York City.    Particularly for their long-suffering loyal fans. Their fall from grace (with the same owner) is bad enough to bear.

What makes their position worse is it exactly mirrors GTFC (and vice versa).  In that a "sole owner/Chair/non-Chair" can repeatedly mess the fans and the Trust about to try and get what he wants. Money and power are usually 2 of the root causes.    
Posted by: Cloudy, February 6, 2018, 2:49pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from barrattstandman

it sure could.

Maybe this will put a bolt into JF to start to work WITH the fans to ensure nothing like this ever happens to GTFC rather than trying to run things alone
Posted by: Teestogreen, February 6, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I remember (before the days of SAT NAV), trying to find Bootham Crescent (without success) and driving round the York one way system, then spotted the Town team coach - so followed that and the coach driver didn't seem to know where he was going either and went round the same system we had just been round. Finally got there - remember it was FA Cup and we lost 4-2 in the snow - with a little bouncy midfield player called Jimmy Thompson (with a 'tash' - bit like Kenny Ball' - signed him from the North East) scoring both goals.  

Posted by: moosey_club, February 6, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
I ain’t surprised they are having financial problems. The bloke has to turn and sign a new player (normally strikers), everytime they fail to win a game.

Fancy that ...what a ridiculous strategy  :o
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 6, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Teestogreen

I remember (before the days of SAT NAV), trying to find Bootham Crescent (without success) and driving round the York one way system, then spotted the Town team coach - so followed that and the coach driver didn't seem to know where he was going either and went round the same system we had just been round. Finally got there - remember it was FA Cup and we lost 4-2 in the snow - with a little bouncy midfield player called Jimmy Thompson (with a 'tash' - bit like Kenny Ball' - signed him from the North East) scoring both goals.  

I was at that game. I travelled by train with a long walk over a bridge by the river to Bootham Cres. I think, but of course it was about 45 years ago isn't it?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 6, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from barrattstandman

What, you mean a chairman demanding free shares from the Trust otherwise he throws his toys out of the cot.

Nah, could never happen here.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 6, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

What, you mean a chairman demanding free shares from the Trust otherwise he throws his toys out of the cot.

Nah, could never happen here.

Absolutely. Another rich bloke crushing the life out of a club.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 6, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 15
I hope they (York City's supporters trust) learn from our example and tell him where to go. If they're in the excrement financially because of mismanagement, it won't go away by giving the man who presided over it more control.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 7, 2018, 8:44am; Reply: 16
Is he the same bloke they sold to years ago?
Posted by: barralad, February 8, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Teestogreen

Remember it well. First Round F.A. cup so November in the days when you could just about guarantee snow on the ground before Christmas. I was 13 and remember being amazed that the group of fishermen Town fans stood near us were wearing jeans and t-shirts and no coats. I suppose it must 've been 10 degrees warmer than on a trawler off Iceland...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 9, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 18
Talking of getting lost in York,  I went with my dad to a game there about 1970.  It was heavy snow coming out and we ended up on the A64 going to Scarborough (instead of towards North Lincs).  You could hardly read the road signs. I said that unless they have suddenly built a bridge from Scarborough to Lincolnshire then we are going the wrong way.

Big away wins were rare many years ago.  I think that it was in the late 60s, or early 70s, that Town won 5-2 at York.  Stuatr Brace score a hattrick.  I could not wait to read about in the Football Telegraph.  No other media around then.  
Posted by: barralad, February 9, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talking of getting lost in York,  I went with my dad to a game there about 1970.  It was heavy snow coming out and we ended up on the A64 going to Scarborough (instead of towards North Lincs).  You could hardly read the road signs. I said that unless they have suddenly built a bridge from Scarborough to Lincolnshire then we are going the wrong way.

Big away wins were rare many years ago.  I think that it was in the late 60s, or early 70s, that Town won 5-2 at York.  Stuatr Brace score a hattrick.  I could not wait to read about in the Football Telegraph.  No other media around then.  

That was the re-election season. My first. I remember my old man sending me to the papershop for the Football Telegraph such was the momentous nature of the result.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 9, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 20
Went with my missus to a York match,I went to the game she went shopping.She lost the car park,some interfering policeman help her find it.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 4:21am