Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, January 25, 2018, 7:20pm
Heard from a trusted source with a good ear around Brunton Park Carlisle that a forward was about to sign for  Carlisle United today on loan from a Championship side for the rest of the season - until Grimsby came in for him.  Apparently he will be signing for the Mariners tomorrow.  

Please do not shoot the messenger.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on the Fishy.

UTM
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 25, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 1
Sounds possible. At Leeds so geography might suit him more. On loan to Accrington until start of Jan and did score a few goals for them. Only 19.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 25, 2018, 7:28pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner
Heard from a trusted source with a good ear around Brunton Park Carlisle that a forward was about to sign for  Carlisle United today on loan from a Championship side for the rest of the season - until Grimsby came in for him.  Apparently he will be signing for the Mariners tomorrow.  

Please do not shoot the messenger.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on the Fishy.

UTM

Is it Mallik Wilks by any chance ?  :)

Posted by: oochiad, January 25, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 3
Mallik Wilks
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 25, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 4
It’s wilks been tweeted by a respected Leeds journalist
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Sounds possible. At Leeds so geography might suit him more. On loan to Accrington until start of Jan and did score a few goals for them. Only 19.

How did you figure out who it was from the first post?
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, January 25, 2018, 7:38pm; Reply: 6
Apologies guys for the repeat!

UTM
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 25, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 7
Leeds gave him a 4 year deal last year, so they must rate him quite highly.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 25, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

How did you figure out who it was from the first post?

I'm not sure but I think the original thread title was Mallik Wilks. Or I'm psychic. Probably the latter ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2018, 7:44pm; Reply: 9
Apparently being tracked by Everton and had something of a super-sub reputation at Accrington, scoring 5 goals in 23 appearances. Never heard of him to be honest until i had a text from someone about half hour ago.
Posted by: mariner91, January 25, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 10
Another forward coming in, is there maybe some truth in Jones to Scunthorpe then? Least he's supposedly quick, we've been desperately lacking some pace.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not sure but I think the original thread title was Mallik Wilks. Or I'm psychic. Probably the latter ;)

Right you are, psychic it is then.  ;)

Had a text earlier naming him as a possible signing as i was sitting down to eat. Seems lot's of people getting the same info.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), January 25, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 12
Dembele the other way??

Jones to Scunny??

Town trying to get bums on seats before letting someone go!!!!!
Posted by: RoboCod, January 25, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 13
Sounds like a character out of Emmerdale. Sounds promising, hopefully he could slot in with Vernham and both score bags of goals. Prompting a GET headline about 'Towns Loan Rangers' or similar.

Cautiously optimistic over this, we really are in need a boost.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 25, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 14
Hopefully 22nd time lucky for Sladeball
Posted by: Bigdog, January 25, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 15
https://twitter.com/jlongstaff31/status/956621793409818627
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 25, 2018, 11:48pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings
Apparently being tracked by Everton and had something of a super-sub reputation at Accrington, scoring 5 goals in 23 appearances. Never heard of him to be honest until i had a text from someone about half hour ago.

A striker with that ratio of goals?! I suppose it's some sort of improvement  :(
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 25, 2018, 11:52pm; Reply: 17
So has Sam Jones got a dose of "transferitis" which has made him unavailable?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2018, 11:55pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner

A striker with that ratio of goals?! I suppose it's some sort of improvement  :(

Think a lot of those were sub appearances. Don't forget, Accy have one of the best strike forces in the league ahead of him. Kee and Jackson have 26 between them, so his game time would have been limited. Probably why Leeds wanted him back to send somewhere he was likely to get more game time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 26, 2018, 12:03am; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

Think a lot of those were sub appearances. Don't forget, Accy have one of the best strike forces in the league ahead of him. Kee and Jackson have 26 between them, so his game time would have been limited. Probably why Leeds wanted him back to send somewhere he was likely to get more game time.

True. Just jaded with the whole thing.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2018, 12:12am; Reply: 20

True. Just jaded with the whole thing.

Feel your pain, but Vernam is looking the biz so far and this Leeds lad is highly rated, with a bit of experience of the league. I'm trying to stay positive.

Trying...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 26, 2018, 12:31am; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Feel your pain, but Vernam is looking the biz so far and this Leeds lad is highly rated, with a bit of experience of the league. I'm trying to stay positive.

Trying...

You have more moral backbone than me.

Nerr, you're probably right. Haven't seen Vernam yet. Haven't been since Luton before Christmas so don't know how good / bad it is.

On the upside, I met an Israeli this week who'd heard of Town and knew we'd been in the National League. I always thought we were the modern Jews.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 26, 2018, 1:07am; Reply: 22
Apparently, his brother "Raheem" was killed a year ago today :( Gang shooting in Leeds.
Posted by: Father Christmas, January 26, 2018, 6:49am; Reply: 23

You have more moral backbone than me.

Nerr, you're probably right. Haven't seen Vernam yet. Haven't been since Luton before Christmas so don't know how good / bad it is.

On the upside, I met an Israeli this week who'd heard of Town and knew we'd been in the National League. I always thought we were the modern Jews.

Should he be on the naughty or nice list? Is he a Stafford Israeli?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 26, 2018, 7:44am; Reply: 24
[img]https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/Mallik-Wilks-877429.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 26, 2018, 8:12am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Welwynmariner
So has Sam Jones got a dose of "transferitis" which has made him unavailable?

If he has the same flu bug I, and many others have had, he will not feel like doing anything for a month. Only silver lining was I missed the last 3 home games so hopefully my return tomorrow will inspire town and we have a well deserved, or even lucky, victory😄😄
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 26, 2018, 9:28am; Reply: 26
Hopefully he can do a job and add some pace. As Ginny said he's been bit part for Accy and it shows how we are struggling when we are signing players that can't get in Accy's side. That doesn't mean he won't be a good signing, I just find it hard to see this as real intent or investment. Him and Vernam will probably improve us, but they are not the established quality that would require investment. What worries me about these young lads is that if they're successful in their loan it will be very unlikely we can sign them permanently and the club has a real history of missing opportunities to sign promising loanees. Wouldn't it be better to try and develop our own players?

Looking at Kayden Jackson and the excellent season he is having just reaffirms my view that Bignot was a disaster. He was excellent here for them the other week and Bignot sent him back early after signing Yussuf. He's the sort of player we could've signed permanently.
Posted by: golfer, January 26, 2018, 9:30am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin
Leeds gave him a 4 year deal last year, so they must rate him quite highly.

Hope he's better than our 4 year signing from last season
Posted by: mariner91, January 26, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 28
Just been announced on twitter. Welcome young man and good luck.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 29
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/leeds-frontman-joins-town/

Now official. Welcome Mallik.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 26, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 30
Good luck Mallik - welcome to the pleasuredome!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 26, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Hopefully he can do a job and add some pace. As Ginny said he's been bit part for Accy and it shows how we are struggling when we are signing players that can't get in Accy's side. That doesn't mean he won't be a good signing, I just find it hard to see this as real intent or investment. Him and Vernam will probably improve us, but they are not the established quality that would require investment. What worries me about these young lads is that if they're successful in their loan it will be very unlikely we can sign them permanently and the club has a real history of missing opportunities to sign promising loanees. Wouldn't it be better to try and develop our own players?

Looking at Kayden Jackson and the excellent season he is having just reaffirms my view that Bignot was a disaster. He was excellent here for them the other week and Bignot sent him back early after signing Yussuf. He's the sort of player we could've signed permanently.

To be fair Hurst got very little out of Jackson and I do not remember any outrage on here when the loan was terminated nor when he signed for Accy in the summer. He looked a gem on debut but IMO did nothing to really impress during the remainder of his stay always looking a little lightweight whereas he appears on tv to have bulked up a bit this season.

Sometimes certain clubs suit certain players with Mendocca a prime example and Blades fans must have wondered why he was allowed to leave them.

Posted by: oochiad, January 26, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 32
Welcome and good luck Mallik! UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, January 26, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 33
Good stuff. A lot of strikers now, hopefully Hooper can be shipped out before Wednesday, even if it's only on loan.
Posted by: golfer, January 26, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Abdul19
Good stuff. A lot of strikers now, hopefully Hooper can be shipped out before Wednesday, even if it's only on loan.

Who's going to want them-West Marsh Rovers >  We only got them  'cos that's all that was left
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 35
Probably moves Asante further from the squad. Think he will go, if anyone.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 26, 2018, 4:23pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
Probably moves Asante further from the squad. Think he will go, if anyone.

huge shame that he has not been given even a sniff
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 26, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 37
Just seen his iplayer interview, a really chatty lad is Mallik  :P
Posted by: Skrill, January 26, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 38
Happy with this signing, all we need is a little more passion, hunger and pace, Wilks could be the asset.
Posted by: Croxton, January 26, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 39
Looks like he has a good left foot. Hopefully he and Vernam can feed off each other . If only we had Podge to guide him like Bogle had.
Collins and other seniors have a responsibility here. Start him and trust him . Could be the difference.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 26, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 40
He MUST start tomorrow!
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 8:54am