Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /    /  
Posted by: realist, January 24, 2018, 10:38am
All the talk lately has been about the future of Slade.   We must not forget that person responsible for our current position is the antichrist Fenty. The fortunes of the club will not improve until he is and his "benign" debt is gone.   Go away John and don't come back.

Fenty out
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 1
Quoted from realist
All the talk lately has been about the future of Slade.   We must not forget that person responsible for our current position is the antichrist Fenty. The fortunes of the club will not improve until he is and his "benign" debt is gone.   Go away John and don't come back.

Fenty out

I am not sure that sentiment would appeal to his better nature.

Dear John,

Would you please write off your loans and let someone else have a go. Whilst we appreciate your effort, it hasn't really gone very well, the relationship between the board and fans is at an all time low. We have all said some things in the heat of the moment that we probably regret. If we carry on like this it will only be the kids that suffer the most. The relationship is broken, lets call it a day and end as friends.

Yours

The Fishy Five
Posted by: Cloudy, January 24, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 2
Think if there is no progress on his stadium project and the 'abuse' continues then I think he may well fall on his sword and say I have had enough of this.

The big question then revolves around his loans and shareholding- not what some want him to do but what HE wants to do
Posted by: Ipswin, January 24, 2018, 10:58am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Cloudy
Think if there is no progress on his stadium project and the 'abuse' continues then I think he may well fall on his sword and say I have had enough of this.

Well he'd better start sharpening it then, the new ground is never going to happen, its just a pipe dream no further forward now than last month, last year, last century and the abuse certainly isn't going to go away

Posted by: barrattstandman, January 24, 2018, 10:59am; Reply: 4
The moment he goes if no comes in immediately the bank will foreclose on our overdraft facilities as there will be no one to cover them. Result administration or liquidation. Can’t some of you get that into your heads. Too big a Fisk. We could find ourselves back in the conference or worse. Is that what you really want ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2018, 11:08am; Reply: 5
Quoted from barrattstandman
The moment he goes if no comes in immediately the bank will foreclose on our overdraft facilities as there will be no one to cover them. Result administration or liquidation. Can’t some of you get that into your heads. Too big a Fisk. We could find ourselves back in the conference or worse. Is that what you really want ?

Agreed.

It's not a game of footy manager. I'm sure John would step aside if someone came up with a credible alternative.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 24, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 6

There is no borrowing from the bank, the only debt other than day to day trade creditors are the directors loans.

IF JF decided to call in the administrators it would be HE who would lose significantly.

Can you get that into your head?
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 24, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 7
Quoted from realist

Fenty out

Are you going to run the club or know someone who can then ?
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 24, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 8
Cloudy , who do you think has covered our losses with benign loans ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Cloudy

There is no borrowing from the bank, the only debt other than day to day trade creditors are the directors loans.

IF JF decided to call in the administrators it would be HE who would lose significantly.

Can you get that into your head?

But there has to be significant guaranteed sums does there not? Someone has to have the financial clout to run the show.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 10

It's chicken and egg. Who has caused these losses?
Posted by: Cloudy, January 24, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 11

Exactly.

When did we last make a loss?

The club can be run sustainably with fan support and involvement. You just dont go chasing rainbows, overspending, just live within your means
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed.

It's not a game of footy manager. I'm sure John would step aside if someone came up with a credible alternative.

Does that not depend on whether he wants his money back? There may well be a credible altrernative for the club that doesn't give him his money back.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 24, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 13
Look I am no fan of the way our club is being run at the moment I remember a ex player saying to me when mr fenty took over, you can't run a football club like a fish factory and how true those words where, but just be careful for what you wish for look at Hartlepool Darlington Stockport. Just my view
Posted by: Cloudy, January 24, 2018, 11:44am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings

But there has to be significant guaranteed sums does there not? Someone has to have the financial clout to run the show.

Do you mean someone to loan the club money when it is needed? Who do we provide guarantees too?

Financially we live within our means and that means being open and honest and get supporter buy in. I only think we need to provide guarantees if we are borrowing. I believe we can, and should, be run within the levels of our income
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2018, 12:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Cloudy

Do you mean someone to loan the club money when it is needed? Who do we provide guarantees too?

Financially we live within our means and that means being open and honest and get supporter buy in. I only think we need to provide guarantees if we are borrowing. I believe we can, and should, be run within the levels of our income

I have no idea to be honest. I'm sure there are people out there who know more about the finances than i do, but getting from the situation we have now, to the situation you describe doesn't just happen. Someone somewhere has to make it happen. Who/where are these people?

I'm also pretty sure that guarantees of funds have to be in place and that's before we even get to what JF wants. Call him what you will but he has always maintained that he won't put the club in jeopardy, either by calling in his loans or by handing over the club to just anybody, regardless of their intentions.

I'm all for fan involvement, but getting there is not a simple process, if it's even achievable.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings

I have no idea to be honest. I'm sure there are people out there who know more about the finances than i do, but getting from the situation we have now, to the situation you describe doesn't just happen. Someone somewhere has to make it happen. Who/where are these people?

I'm also pretty sure that guarantees of funds have to be in place and that's before we even get to what JF wants. Call him what you will but he has always maintained that he won't put the club in jeopardy, either by calling in his loans or by handing over the club to just anybody, regardless of their intentions.

I'm all for fan involvement, but getting there is not a simple process, if it's even achievable.

Absolutely. I think the end is in sight for the current regime, the relationship with the fans is as bad as it has ever been, attendances are low and news on the new ground has gone completely cold.
I just think it depends on what the split is like, whether it is a dignified and amicable exit or a disastrous and messy divorce.
He's said he wouldn't call his loans in to put us in trouble, but would you realistically expect an interested party to pay them off and buy the required shares? You could be looking at £4million before you've actually put a penny into the club.  
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 17

Whilst I have not been happy with the way this club has been run, I have not called for the removal of JF but that was a bit of a daft comment as with JF in charge we found ourselves in the Conference and if he and RS don't buck their ideas up in the next few days/weeks we could find ourselves there again. :-/
Posted by: Bigdog, January 24, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 18
Other than anyone who watched the Fans Forum or was a behind the scenes business connection approached by one of the board, does the whole wide world know that the club's up for sale? Is it actually up for sale or just lip service? Is it only up for sale if JF gets his £2m back? Is there a compromise price? Is there truth to the rumour that part of the deal is a lifetime seat on the board for JF? How committed are the club to the new stadium? Are the club still actively looking for investors or exhausted their efforts? Have the fans been consulted about whether it's a pre-requisite that the Trust or fan representation of some form have to remain on the board for any deal to happen however beneficial it may be?

If the loans are written off (public declaration of being written off in JF's head), partly written off or set in stone then there's a £2m swing. There's 900k JF shares, yet the club as it stands is over £1/2m in debt. What is their true value with the benign loans taken into account or if they're not? Then there's the £325k guarantee secured on all the club's assets. Would it need to be there if the loans were written off? There's so many swings of value based upon the owner's wishes and all we have had is conflicting messages. The £2m would have been paid to JF from the Americans but supposedly they were already written off in his head so wouldn't the £2m be better invested in the club going forward?

A bit of openness, clarity and an advertised public acceptance of where the ownership of the club is at and a statement of intent might make a huge difference to investment potential. It seems a bit perverse that the only ones trying to find investment are the ones that want to sell rather than a ballpark price announced to take over and level of new investment required for the terms to be met. At the moment, from the outside, there's not a lot of clarity, a lot of emotion and the situation is open to speculation or it just may be that there is no immediate will for radical change at the club by JF or the board..

It's about as clear as the mudflats on Cleethorpes beach..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2018, 2:44pm; Reply: 19

How many times do we have to go over this? The loans are not 'benign' - they sit on the balance sheet as a debt against the club. In contrast, the shares are worth less than the paper they are written on unless someone wants to buy them.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 24, 2018, 3:07pm; Reply: 20
It is time J.F. awoke to the fact that G.T.F.C.is facing an existential crisis,even if we escape relegation this year,if Slade is in charge there will be sub 3,000 gates and I daresay lower.Please wake up and see the writing on the wall and do what is best for G.T.F.C. either undue the purse strings or walk a away.Remember this is your legacy don't let your name become reviled for generations,.
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Cloudy

The big question then revolves around his loans and shareholding- not what some want him to do but what HE wants to do

That good because there will be no Stadium and the 'criticism' of the way the club has been run and the downward spiral we have been on since he's been in charge will never stop so he may as well go now.

As for the loans if he doesn't write em off(which he should) then we go into admin.
Better that than have him running our club for much longer.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2018, 3:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TAGG

That good because there will be no Stadium and the 'criticism' of the way the club has been run and the downward spiral we have been on since he's been in charge will never stop so he may as well go now.

As for the loans if he doesn't write em off(which he should) then we go into admin.
Better that than have him running our clubinto the ground for much longer.

Edit.
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2018, 3:21pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Edit.

Cheers mate 👍
Posted by: Zmariner, January 24, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly, we would end up in a terrible mess. I do not see a queue of suitors. The idea of forcing out the financial guarantor without a plan B blows my brain. I bet J.F. hates this role some days but he sticks at it, a few mistakes for sure but most of us expected Slade to do better than he has utm and to those last looking for such a change be very careful what you wish for
Posted by: Cloudy, January 24, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from friskneymariner
It is time J.F. awoke to the fact that G.T.F.C.is facing an existential crisis,even if we escape relegation this year,if Slade is in charge there will be sub 3,000 gates and I daresay lower.Please wake up and see the writing on the wall and do what is best for G.T.F.C. either undue the purse strings or walk a away.Remember this is your legacy don't let your name become reviled for generations,.

are you advocating an increase in our debt? Just my opinion but as I cannot see JF 'gifting' the club money I would rather we run within our means.

If JF did walk away it would depend very much upon what he took with him!
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, January 24, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 26
The way I see it is JF runs a very tight ship financially, This means we run at a small loss every year, I think its mentioned at the fans forum of about 300k. This is underpinned as a guarantee by JF if the club did  not get any football fortune, The last few years that's been covered by Wembley trips and sell on of players, I don't see that happening again anytime soon,
Some fans don't like that the budget is not larger and more competitive, The issue is if we run with our means on the current gates and sponsorship we would have a bottom l2 budget, If we increase the budget then that shortfall has to come from somewhere.
The idea fans would buy into a fan-owned club and gates would be bigger is great on paper but the bank would not accept that as a business plan and ask for someone to guarantee the shortfall if the money did not materialise.  
The club needs a fool too part with a large sum of cash each year with little to no chance of ever seeing it again and be thick-skinned enough to put up with the abuse (banter) he gets when things dont go so well.

Posted by: Marinerz93, January 24, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 27
The way I see it is JF runs a very tight ship financially, This means we run at a small loss every year, I think its mentioned at the fans forum of about 300k. This is underpinned as a guarantee by JF if the club did  not get any football fortune, The last few years that's been covered by Wembley trips and sell on of players, I don't see that happening again anytime soon,
Some fans don't like that the budget is not larger and more competitive, The issue is if we run with our means on the current gates and sponsorship we would have a bottom l2 budget, If we increase the budget then that shortfall has to come from somewhere.
The idea fans would buy into a fan-owned club and gates would be bigger is great on paper but the bank would not accept that as a business plan and ask for someone to guarantee the shortfall if the money did not materialise.  
The club needs a fool too part with a large sum of cash each year with little to no chance of ever seeing it again and be thick-skinned enough to put up with the abuse (banter) he gets when things dont go so well.

Accrington Stanley, with the way you think, can you explain how they are 3rd and how if we were in their position our gates would be double, Fenty has failed for over a decade and on his watch some of the worst football is being played under his stewardship. Dropping out of the league has been brushed over but we are seeing again the lack of fight he has in putting things right. Fenty can not make things happen in the football world.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 24, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 28

Well next year there will be a bigger loss with significant decline in season ticket sales.
Posted by: Grimsby69, January 24, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 29
This is what town have made/lost in financial terms over the last 6 seasons.

2016/17 Profit £1,069,791 (on the basis of a player sale)
2015/16 Profit £     59,062 With two Wembley appearances
2014/15 Loss  £     78,705 With a large attendance at Wembley
2013/14 Loss  £  227,441  Loss with a after play off & FA Trophy Semi final losses + Small FA Cup Run
2012/13 Loss £  445,471 Loss with a Wembley appearance and Play off Semi Final Loss
2011/12 Profit £ 142,404 ?

I think this shows that most football clubs are in need of a benefactor, so if we are to remove Fenty it can only be done if another investor is guaranteed to step up to the mark as you only get a major sell-able asset every now and again.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 30

It doesn't help the budget when we sign first team players that even the guy who bought them doesn't think they are good enough yet he has been promised more money to spend. :-/
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 24, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 31
This thread and Fenty lovers sum up Stockholm Syndrome.  He's smashed our backdoors in his basement for years now, but we hear the same rhetoric "But he loves and we wouldn't be here without him!" and we are still supposed to love him.  

Time to write off your loans as it is your decisions that have led to 15 years of hurt.  See you later JF (No, not Joseph Fritzl!)
Posted by: Grimsby69, January 24, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 32
Some people use Exeter City as an example of a good fan run club but in the last five season they have finished

2016/17 - 5
2015/16 - 14
2014/15 - 10
2013/14 - 17
2012/13 - 10

most of our fans would be upset with four of those league finishes
Posted by: Zmariner, January 24, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93

Accrington Stanley, with the way you think, can you explain how they are 3rd and how if we were in their position our gates would be double, Fenty has failed for over a decade and on his watch some of the worst football is being played under his stewardship. Dropping out of the league has been brushed over but we are seeing again the lack of fight he has in putting things right. Fenty can not make things happen in the football world.

They get the not quite good Enough from the north west clubs which are very good for L2 and they have a great manager utm

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Grimsby69
Some people use Exeter City as an example of a good fan run club but in the last five season they have finished

2016/17 - 5
2015/16 - 14
2014/15 - 10
2013/14 - 17
2012/13 - 10

I'd rather be a fan-run club in those (generally improving) positions than be a fan-owner run club with hamstrung finances and a board of yes-men.
Posted by: davmariner, January 24, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Grimsby69

2016/17 - 5
2015/16 - 14
2014/15 - 10
2013/14 - 17
2012/13 - 10

That's miles better than anywhere we've finished under Fenty in the last five years.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 36
Let's say we do get a change at the helm. Whose to say they will be any better at picking a manager?

It was Mike Parker who was the driving force behind Woods getting the job, and that decision caused more damage than anything. Without a decent manager getting things moving on the pitch, the fans won't just turn up because of a new regime or because the fans are now running the club. They may do at first but will soon drift away if the team doesn't perform. That's always been the case.

I'm not making a case for or against, just looking at it impartially.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Grimsby69

2013/14 Loss  £  227,441  Loss with a after play off & FA Trophy Semi final losses + Small FA Cup Run
2012/13 Loss £  445,471 Loss with a Wembley appearance and Play off Semi Final Loss

I think this shows that most football clubs are in need of a benefactor, so if we are to remove Fenty it can only be done if another investor is guaranteed to step up to the mark as you only get a major sell-able asset every now and again.

So you've decided that football clubs need a rich benefactor to survive on 6 years of Towns profit/loss and in that time we made a substantial profit?
Posted by: malkamalka, January 24, 2018, 7:18pm; Reply: 38
Apparently, Ronaldo (The Brazilian, not the Portuguese one) is looking to buy a club in England. He has a preference for Championship, but maybe he'd like a real challenge.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from malkamalka
Apparently, Ronaldo (The Brazilian, not the Portuguese one) is looking to buy a club in England. He has a preference for Championship, but maybe he'd like a real challenge.

Think there's more chance of Ronaldo McDonaldo buying GTFC.
Posted by: rancido, January 24, 2018, 7:43pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from headingly_mariner

So you've decided that football clubs need a rich benefactor to survive on 6 years of Towns profit/loss and in that time we made a substantial profit?

But that was due to the exceptional sale of one player. Take that amount out of the equation and we get a more realistic view of the normal operating revenues of the club. If we don't unearth a gem to sell then we have to depend on commercial revenues and ticket /season ticket sales. Without somebody to provide a " safety net " when revenues decline then the financial future could become quite tricky. We have some posters advocating JF to " dip in his pocket " or " slacken the purse strings " and others saying we could be self-sufficient without a benefactor to prop us up. Well, it can't be both so who's right ?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 24, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Marinerz93

Cannot argue with the vast majority of your comments however, I do not share your optimism that a reasonably successful town would attract regular gates of 6500 which is roughly double what we are getting. Normally, we exceed 6000 at holiday times, Xmas/Easter or when there is a pretty decent away following and even in our Championship days average attendances were below 6000. We can get in around 5000 for a winning side and I cannot see this number increasing significantly without a new ground.

I suppose my main fears, as others have said, is that should J.F. walk and we are “run” by the fans what happens if we do say a Bury and go three months without a win and a goal, what will crowds be then? If then we cannot meet financial obligations who will cover the cost, crowdfunding?

Maybe I am just an half empty glass guy and have concerns about failure rather than a possible increase in quality and results. What I do believe is if RS stays and we have a second season results wise, including a nice cup win, as 2005/6 the crowds will return even if football is not of the best quality. The main attraction for those 2000 fans who take attendances from 3 to 5 thousand are results, yes a number want to win playing great attacking and free flowing football but for most all that matters is we win.

If we were miraculously to hit a golden spell this year despite all our frustration and anger at ways the club is run I think crowds would return to match those early season.

Still not likely to find out unfortunately ☹️
Posted by: StaffsMariner, January 24, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 42
WOW! Lets not forget a new stadium on peaks parkway ruins the view from the O/P's house so ulterior motive to start the thread.
And Cloudy, why did you call it his stadium rather than ours? do you live close to realist?

No offence intended.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 24, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grimsby69

What the figures don't show is that at least 500k to 800k of those losses are due to the nett devaluation of Blundell Park, so it is not very accurate to use the seasonal profit / loss figures as a guide. This loss was on paper not normal operating expenses, so that boosts the margin for profitable trading even further and weakens your argument.

Having said that, whether it be a fan led marketing campaign attracting a single new investor or a consortium consisting of fan raised investment alongside new larger investors, either option will have a greater chance of success than poorly funded fan led control of the club. I think we need to aim a lot higher than just replacing JF purely to stop him making bad decisions. Significant funds need to be raised too..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 24, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 44

That’s just BS. We have upper mid table crowds even now with the big downturn. We would have a decent budget and if the club had played its hand properly over the last 18 months we’d be significantly better off.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, January 24, 2018, 11:56pm; Reply: 45
Agree that for the good of our club Fenty has to go. He’s not bankrolling us in the way done believe, the club is more than sustainable without him.

Problem is we could (rightly) sack slade but with Fenty in charge still we’d be in the same position again in 6 months with another manager.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 25, 2018, 6:36am; Reply: 46
Oooooooo is this a pressure group? I’m in.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 25, 2018, 6:58am; Reply: 47
Accrington often mentioned, who the last couple of seasons at least have been challenging at the right end of the table, get gates around 1400. Town get, let's be pessimistic, an average of 3500.

We are told JF runs a prudent ship, with strong financial control nut we budget to lose £300-350 per season!

Stanley, made a substantial profit last season according to their Chairman and expect to do so again this year to the tune of just under £1m

The figures suggest we spend a hell of a lot more money, in lots of areas than Stanley do.

If I had to pick who was being prudent I know who I would pick!

I don't beleive any business should set a budget to lose money as has been claimed. Hoping for fortune isn't, and never will be prudent in my view.

For me I don't care too much who is at the helm but I would appreciate some openness rather than spin. This would undoubtedly help the budget if fans felt some form of involvement rather than the total alienation that many feel today
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2018, 7:12am; Reply: 48
I think it's obvious that the playing budget is not as high as what we would have hoped or led to believe but we better get used to it because with Slade's dire players producing dire performances the gate has dropped significantly and so will season ticket sales and the budget will be even more reduced. Probably to one of the lowest or the lowest in league 2, it's only going to get much worse I'm afraid.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 25, 2018, 7:47am; Reply: 49
Quoted from 75
Oooooooo is this a pressure group? I’m in.

The problem is the mood of the fans is at an all time low.I am being serious when I say such is my dismay with all things GTFC I may well have seen my last game.I have zero enthusiasm for attending games the whole experience is dogsh1t and this was never the case previously. Now I could well be alone in feeling this way but reading countless posts on here I very much doubt it? If these fans are lost who have previously been die hards even a very small % this Club will have huge problems because they don`t have any youngsters coming either to replace us.Over to you Board/Trust you need to sit down talk and come up with a viable plan short and long term that you can spell out to the fans.We are fed up of being kept in the dark and short changed,we want progress on and off the field and we want answers NOW.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 25, 2018, 7:56am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Cloudy
Accrington often mentioned, who the last couple of seasons at least have been challenging at the right end of the table, get gates around 1400. Town get, let's be pessimistic, an average of 3500.

We are told JF runs a prudent ship, with strong financial control nut we budget to lose £300-350 per season!

Stanley, made a substantial profit last season according to their Chairman and expect to do so again this year to the tune of just under £1m

The figures suggest we spend a hell of a lot more money, in lots of areas than Stanley do.

If I had to pick who was being prudent I know who I would pick!

I don't beleive any business should set a budget to lose money as has been claimed. Hoping for fortune isn't, and never will be prudent in my view.

For me I don't care too much who is at the helm but I would appreciate some openness rather than spin. This would undoubtedly help the budget if fans felt some form of involvement rather than the total alienation that many feel today

A first team squad and wage bill for 30 odd players won`t help and could/should be cut to a maximum of 25 ASAP.I can`t see why at the start of January Town never cut their losses in relation to Kelly,Woolford,Hooper,Clements,Cardwell and Dixon and paid them off by mutual consent?A bit of honesty from Slade saying he got it wrong in terms of the quality he had brought in would be fine by me I can accept him making mistakes with players all manager`s do. The main thing is I can`t accept inferior square pegs in round holes and it would be far better to get rid of those 6 off the wage bill and bring in 1-2 better quality players on a higher wage.
Posted by: golfer, January 25, 2018, 8:08am; Reply: 51
How much is the club actually worth? Seems like it's not worth the paper in the Findus toilets--so-----------here's a quid--meet your new Non-Chairman---------------SLADE you're fired for impersonating a football manager---making a profit already---so easy !
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 25, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 52
Quoted from rancido

But that was due to the exceptional sale of one player. Take that amount out of the equation and we get a more realistic view of the normal operating revenues of the club. If we don't unearth a gem to sell then we have to depend on commercial revenues and ticket /season ticket sales. Without somebody to provide a " safety net " when revenues decline then the financial future could become quite tricky. We have some posters advocating JF to " dip in his pocket " or " slacken the purse strings " and others saying we could be self-sufficient without a benefactor to prop us up. Well, it can't be both so who's right ?

I have absolutely no issue with the club living within it's means. Spending based on our attendances and trying to boost our attendances should allow us a budget to compete at this and the level above.

I certainly don't want Fenty to lend the club any more money. If he wants to improve the squad it needs to come from his pocket. It was a massive mistake letting Bignot overhaul the squad last January. A complete waste of money, what is the point of having a rich benefactor if they lend the club money to cover their mismanagement?
Posted by: Zmariner, January 25, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 53
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The problem is the mood of the fans is at an all time low.I am being serious when I say such is my dismay with all things GTFC I may well have seen my last game.I have zero enthusiasm for attending games the whole experience is dogsh1t and this was never the case previously. Now I could well be alone in feeling this way but reading countless posts on here I very much doubt it? If these fans are lost who have previously been die hards even a very small % this Club will have huge problems because they don`t have any youngsters coming either to replace us.Over to you Board/Trust you need to sit down talk and come up with a viable plan short and long term that you can spell out to the fans.We are fed up of being kept in the dark and short changed,we want progress on and off the field and we want answers NOW.

We are rubbish and I donot enjoy going. I am also extremely busy with family and business and my wife gets mad when I am angry with how bad we are. Will I waste another Saturday.afternoon...........of course utm
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 25, 2018, 10:52am; Reply: 54
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I have absolutely no issue with the club living within it's means. Spending based on our attendances and trying to boost our attendances should allow us a budget to compete at this and the level above.

I certainly don't want Fenty to lend the club any more money. If he wants to improve the squad it needs to come from his pocket. It was a massive mistake letting Bignot overhaul the squad last January. A complete waste of money, what is the point of having a rich benefactor if they lend the club money to cover their mismanagement?

It was also unusual giving a Manager that size of financial backing when in effect they didn`t really know him? Also with hindsight maybe a 2 finger salute to PH who they would not give funding to for fitness coaches etc so we were led to believe? Slade not noted for wasting huge sums of money but he inherited a large and very average squad that he has failed to trim in number and added more dross.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 25, 2018, 11:15am; Reply: 55
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Staying away is the only guaranteed way the fans can put pressure on Fenty...which is sad.

Here's an idea: someone (not the Trust, I suggest) makes a batch of conspicuous T-shirts (chocolate and sky blue quarters, anyone? ) with a smallish
W4F2G logo..."Waiting for Fenty to Go". To be worn anytime, but especially around town on Saturday afternoons when Town are at home.
Any profit used to sponsor some youngster(s) at the club.

If we have 500 inside BP, and 5000 people wearing these around town maybe even JF would feel obliged to consider his position.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 25, 2018, 5:36pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from 137

Staying away is the only guaranteed way the fans can put pressure on Fenty...which is sad.

Here's an idea: someone (not the Trust, I suggest) makes a batch of conspicuous T-shirts (chocolate and sky blue quarters, anyone? ) with a smallish
W4F2G logo..."Waiting for Fenty to Go". To be worn anytime, but especially around town on Saturday afternoons when Town are at home.
Any profit used to sponsor some youngster(s) at the club.

If we have 500 inside BP, and 5000 people wearing these around town maybe even JF would feel obliged to consider his position.

I would rather we all go to the game and chant non stop "We want Fenty out" from start to finish.

If we ensure our safety, I hope the pressure on Fenty will not die out; his investment many, many years ago was great at the time, but that goodwill has been used up and some. Someone said earlier he is not bankrolling the club as such, so the obvious conclusion to draw is that he is waiting for football fortune and some way of getting his money back. Like someone else said the loans should be viewed as the cost of his stewardship.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 25, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A first team squad and wage bill for 30 odd players won`t help and could/should be cut to a maximum of 25 ASAP.I can`t see why at the start of January Town never cut their losses in relation to Kelly,Woolford,Hooper,Clements,Cardwell and Dixon and paid them off by mutual consent?A bit of honesty from Slade saying he got it wrong in terms of the quality he had brought in would be fine by me I can accept him making mistakes with players all manager`s do. The main thing is I can`t accept inferior square pegs in round holes and it would be far better to get rid of those 6 off the wage bill and bring in 1-2 better quality players on a higher wage.

But the player would have to accept a pay off, why would he do that? Unless it was the full amount of the contract, in which case he might as well stay! I think Kelly, Hooper and Dixon have almost 18 months left on their deals, which is a concern as I don't know who would take over their contracts. The best we could hope for is for them to find other clubs on frees, and we would probably have to pay a portion of the wages. I am more concerned that Slade has signed them, hardly played them and wasted the budget. I don't trust him not to waste more either.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:17pm