Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 19, 2018, 4:59pm
All this talk of being open to change in the telewag. Would a change of formation be an option for us, not only to stiffen up the midfield but to increase our attacking threat.
Perhaps a 3-5-2 formation with wing backs.  This would allow us to get Dembele in a more central position and arguably more involved with play, a front two with Jones alongside Matt instead of hanging behind and Woolford back where he belongs, back on the bench.

Kean

Osbourne      Clarke       Collins

Mills                   Summerfield                   Davies

Dembele                Vernum

Jones           Matt

thoughts??
Posted by: Maringer, January 19, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 1
We don't have enough pace in the wide positions to play wing-backs. It would end up effectively being a flat back five. I'd rather play 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 and pack midfield so we haven't got too many players too deep.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 19, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 2
If we ever see a centre midfield of Summerfield, Dembele and Vernam I'll give John Fenty my car.

(like his it's got a big scratch)
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 19, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 3
If Slade was going to change the formation it would be,

9 at the back and 1 up front,

Oh he already does that doesn't he ?  ;)
Posted by: Croxton, January 19, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 4
Very brave even if you are not Slade but worth a go. It would give Kean a bit more protection on crosses and allow DJ to give Davies a breather when he tires after 60 min.

Much depends on Dembele keeping the ball moving like Vernam. If he gives the ball away centrally, Summers will have extra to do.
Posted by: mariner91, January 19, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 5
That team would get completely overrun in the middle of the pitch and have very little width going forward. Davies is not capable of being a wing back even though he is a decent enough full back.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 6
Does it matter? It's still the same players and too many of them are average.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 19, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 7
Kean

Mills
Clarke
Collins
Davies

Rose
Summerfield
Berrett

Vernam
Matt
Dembele

Bit of a 433 with Summerfield sitting deeper and getting on the ball with Dembele and Vernam wide of Matt. Target man with 2 pacy, tricky players next to him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 19, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc
Kean

Mills
Clarke
Collins
Davies

Rose
Summerfield
Berrett

Vernam
Matt
Dembele

Bit of a 433 with Summerfield sitting deeper and getting on the ball with Dembele and Vernam wide of Matt. Target man with 2 pacy, tricky players next to him.

Not a bad shout - think Berrett would be the holding player though.
Posted by: mariner91, January 19, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
Does it matter? It's still the same players and too many of them are average.

I'd argue that means it matters even more. If we haven't got any players really capable of winning a game for us, then we need to have a system and a style that suits the strengths of our players in order to get as many points as possible.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner91

I'd argue that means it matters even more. If we haven't got any players really capable of winning a game for us, then we need to have a system and a style that suits the strengths of our players in order to get as many points as possible.

Fair enough. I can't be bothered to think about it in any great detail myself.

I don't think Slade will change anything.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 19, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly, just as the big man said the only point of changing things is if it's changing them for the better, and as it ain't broke why would we try and fix it.

The corners coming up fast and we are gonna turn it. We're gonna turn the excrement out of it. Change pfft.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Abdul19
If we ever see a centre midfield of Summerfield, Dembele and Vernam I'll give John Fenty my car.

But unless you paid £80k for it's not as important.
Posted by: 935 (Guest), January 19, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

Indeed- will be the same starting 11 who will start ok- go a goal down after 15-20 mins and then it'll be business as usual
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Stew0_0
All this talk of being open to change in the telewag. Would a change of formation be an option for us, not only to stiffen up the midfield but to increase our attacking threat.
Perhaps a 3-5-2 formation with wing backs.  This would allow us to get Dembele in a more central position and arguably more involved with play, a front two with Jones alongside Matt instead of hanging behind and Woolford back where he belongs, back on the bench.

Kean

Jones           Matt

thoughts??

I said when someone else posted something similar, the last time Davies played wide as a wing back we got stuffed at Crewe last season.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 19, 2018, 6:32pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Stew0_0

Kean

Jones           Matt

thoughts??

Surely Jones would swap with Vernum? I worry about Davies, he's been fine at left back but don't think he can really do wing back at 36. To be honest 4-4-2 is fine as long you play Jones in midfield and DJ on the wing and buy a better striker.

The main change of formation I would like to see however isn't on the pitch but rather in the dugout, Slade and Wilko out of it!
Posted by: StaffsMariner, January 19, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 16
If Slade ever switches to a 3 man midfield after selling Osbourne then can we take it for granted he Actually has lost his marbles.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 19, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 17
Polishing a turd with this current squad. I would drop the keeper for killip  and Collins would start. Midfield 2 rose and summer field. DJ and dembele on wings, Matt and Vernon up front , woolford and Vernon, Dixon and Kelly to carry kit if enough space on the bus
Posted by: chaos33, January 19, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 18
I'd try 4-2-3-1 with Summerfield and Rose as the two. I'd also try desperately to get the two or three quality players the squad needs. Silk purse sow's ear really.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Zmariner
Polishing a turd with this current squad. I would drop the keeper for killip  and Collins would start. Midfield 2 rose and summer field. DJ and dembele on wings, Matt and Vernon up front , woolford and Vernon, Dixon and Kelly to carry kit if enough space on the bus

Bloody 'ell, we've got two Vernon's in our squad? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Posted by: MacDaddy9214, January 19, 2018, 11:45pm; Reply: 20
Kean
Mills Clarke Collins Davies
Rose summerfield Jones
Dembele vernam
Matt

In a 4-3-2-1. Given dembele the free role to wander and affect the game from everywhere in the attacking third and giving matt 2 pacey players to hold the ball up for.
Use the midfield 3 quite narrow with Jones the more advanced.
I feel this system gives our better players more chance to influence games but also keeps us solid at the back.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 20, 2018, 9:13am; Reply: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry

Bloody 'ell, we've got two Vernon's in our squad? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Double the goals,please accept my apology I meant the new lad
Posted by: Mallyner, January 20, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 22
Quoted from MacDaddy9214
Kean
Mills Clarke Collins Davies
Rose summerfield Jones
Dembele vernam
Matt

In a 4-3-2-1. Given dembele the free role to wander and affect the game from everywhere in the attacking third and giving matt 2 pacey players to hold the ball up for.
Use the midfield 3 quite narrow with Jones the more advanced.
I feel this system gives our better players more chance to influence games but also keeps us solid at the back.

That would be my choice and Jones at last would be in his position. I can see him scoring far more goals from the position than all the other midfielders we are using.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 20, 2018, 11:18am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

He is looking for a new chicken hutch.  :)
Posted by: bedders78, January 20, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 24
I don't think there is much wrong with the current formation as long as Woolford is nowhere near it and we try to play some football.  What the team needs more than anything is confidence
Posted by: immariner, January 20, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 25
                            Kean

Mills.       Collins.     Clarke.      Davies

Summerfield.      Rose

Jaiyesimi.     Vernam.    Dembele

Matt
Posted by: gtfcmd, January 20, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 26
needs change of manager with new ideas before its to late, wonder if this could be his last game !!!!
Posted by: Henryscat, January 20, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 27
Yup playing 5-3-2 looking at today's team
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 11:13pm