Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), January 18, 2018, 7:12am
I know there’s still a fortnight of the window left but I’m struggling to find any positives!! What concerns me more is that I think we will lose our next two games without additions and Slade will then get the boot.  That will leave about 3 days left of the Transfer Window to find a replacement or we are back to where we were with a New Manager not wanting the old managers players!!

Why do GTFC do it this way?? Please get rid NOW and let the rebuild start!!

I am losing hope with my beloved GTFC. Please JF, for once, do the right thing and issue his P45!!!

Currently feeling doomed.......

UTM
Posted by: denni266, January 18, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 1
Yes we need a striker and a left back. but most of all we need a manager who knows what he is doing . this squad is better than slade can get out of them
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 18, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 2
Most of the action happens back end of the window when people move about. Like you I feel Slade might not be around for it, he really needs a result this weekend. That said Thursdays are usually the day signings are announced.
Posted by: golfer, January 18, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 3
The 6th Thursday in the month as far as we are concerned
Posted by: TAGG, January 18, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 4
Don't give the fat useless potato head twit in a hat a penny.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 18, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from TAGG

Don't give the fat useless potato head twit in a hat a penny

Don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think.
Posted by: Kris2, January 19, 2018, 12:06am; Reply: 6
Who wants to come here? Who wants to play for a losing team? Who wants to play for a manager who has no passion and doesn't care anymore? Would you be excited about the prospect of coming to bumblef**k nowhere and playing for a team that's struggling and has the fan base against the manager and chairman? That doesn't sound very good for anybody except mercenaries looking for a pay cheque.
Posted by: heppy88, January 19, 2018, 6:14am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Kris2
Who wants to come here? Who wants to play for a losing team? Who wants to play for a manager who has no passion and doesn't care anymore? Would you be excited about the prospect of coming to bumblef**k nowhere and playing for a team that's struggling and has the fan base against the manager and chairman? That doesn't sound very good for anybody except mercenaries looking for a pay cheque.

Won't be long then before there is a statement from Slade and Fenty blaming the fans attitude for the lack of quality signings.
Posted by: denni266, January 19, 2018, 7:35am; Reply: 8
Mr Fenty is not interested in what the fans do or want, but he has to remember this , if the fans keep walking  so will his chance of getting his money back , The supporters hold the key in there feet , and like mine i aint going again untill he / the club / manager changes, i am not expecting it to change soon
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 19, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 9
Quoted from denni266
Mr Fenty is not interested in what the fans do or want, but he has to remember this , if the fans keep walking  so will his chance of getting his money back , The supporters hold the key in there feet , and like mine i aint going again untill he / the club / manager changes, i am not expecting it to change soon

A dangerous game to play once people who have been fans or worse still die hard fans stop going to games and find something else to do you will lose a % of them probably forever? I honestly believe if Town are not sorted off the field with a clear vision by the start of next Season they are very likely to be bound for relegation only this time their will be no fans left to rally round the flag.Sad times we can all see it coming but ...................

And that`s probably why RS is Manager the team are unlikely to get relegated with him at the helm he should have enough experience to steer us clear? I would love to know his job remit and I have said before my guess is it`s keep the club treading water til the new ground gets delivered on a minimal budget? Now had the Club have been honest and said that was how it was going to be and pleaded with us for patience I could have lived with that it`s a plan and I would have been prepared to suffer a couple of seasons of poor football for the greater good or the long term plan.Honesty Mr Fenty is always the best policy.UTM
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 19, 2018, 8:43am; Reply: 10
Quoted from TAGG
Don't give the fat useless potato head twit in a hat a penny.

Can you not express your dislike for a manager without reverting to childish insults?

We've had someone taking the urine out the way Slade talks, and now about his weight... it says more about the people posting than it does about Slade imo.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 19, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A dangerous game to play once people who have been fans or worse still die hard fans stop going to games and find something else to do you will lose a % of them probably forever? I honestly believe if Town are not sorted off the field with a clear vision by the start of next Season they are very likely to be bound for relegation only this time their will be no fans left to rally round the flag.Sad times we can all see it coming but ...................

And that`s probably why RS is Manager the team are unlikely to get relegated with him at the helm he should have enough experience to steer us clear? I would love to know his job remit and I have said before my guess is it`s keep the club treading water til the new ground gets delivered on a minimal budget? Now had the Club have been honest and said that was how it was going to be and pleaded with us for patience I could have lived with that it`s a plan and I would have been prepared to suffer a couple of seasons of poor football for the greater good or the long term plan.Honesty Mr Fenty is always the best policy.UTM

I don't accept this at all, unless there is a significant change in our fortunes I think we are walking blindly into relegation. The only hope we would have is if other teams don't catch us up which is what the Hartlepool fans were thinking this time last season.

Posted by: grimsby pete, January 19, 2018, 4:25pm; Reply: 12
When Fenty got rid of Bignot he said he wanted us to go in another direction,

We did not think at the time he meant DOWN !!!!!!!!!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 19, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
When Fenty got rid of Bignot he said he wanted us to go in another direction,

We did not think at the time he meant DOWN !!!!!!!!!

Careful Pete! You're still on probation aren't you?  ;)
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 19, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 14
Good to see that the mighty Cheltenham and Forest Green from the wilds of Gloucester are getting players to boost their squads.....

Unfortunately, it seems that GTFC targets are too expensive/don't want to come/have an elderly mother who needs care and attention/can't drive/etc etc.

Frankly I am sick to death about excuses. I want action. And now. And if the current people can't make it happen, please step aside, and quickly.
Posted by: rancido, January 19, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 15
I see that RS said in the GET that the players are too expensive at this time of the year. Which implies they are cheaper in the summer but didn't he say he couldn't get his intended targets in the summer ? Was that because they were too expensive or maybe those quality players  didn't fancy playing his style of football .
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 19, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 16
I've been despondent about Town since Sladeball came back, I picked up a bit when we went on that run where we actually played football and thought Sladeball had abandoned his hoofball but as we now know he can't help himself and resorted back to his engrained tactics.

I am now starting to get worried because as we know, no club is too big to avoid the drop into the abyss
and we saw how Lincoln and Hartlepool dropped from nowhere near the trap door only to go straight through it.

It maybe also that I am getting impatient because I want to see us win games and get away from this horrible feeling of deja vu. The lack of movement and sound bites coming from Sladeball about players costing too much is what I fear is coming from Fenty not putting his money where his faith is in Sladeball. It seems to me that the so called backing from the boardroom isn't really there because they talk about supporting the manger to bring players in so is there an extra budget to get us out of the downward spiral we are in or not John.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 19, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Good to see that the mighty Cheltenham and Forest Green from the wilds of Gloucester are getting players to boost their squads.....

Unfortunately, it seems that GTFC targets are too expensive/don't want to come/have an elderly mother who needs care and attention/can't drive/etc etc.

Frankly I am sick to death about excuses. I want action. And now. And if the current people can't make it happen, please step aside, and quickly.

Sums it up for me...........depressing.

Posted by: TAGG, January 19, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MarinerWY

Can you not express your dislike for a manager without reverting to childish insults?

We've had someone taking the urine out the way Slade talks, and now about his weight... it says more about the people posting than it does about Slade imo.

Boo hooo 😥😥😥😥
In a word no
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 19

Maybe the truth is 'too expensive for what's left of our budget'. I'd have more respect if we were told, the pantry's bare.
Posted by: denni266, January 20, 2018, 5:24am; Reply: 20
Fenty is only interested in his dream Fenty towers stadium, well imo it will never happen in this town with our council , there is no one reliable to finance it or anyone with any cash that would want to work with our board . On the other hand we have Slade,, ruining the team with his hoofball, No one unless they are despairate  will want to come here, Hell even the supporters dont want to come here.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 21, 2018, 8:08am; Reply: 21
I notice Reece Styche is playing and scored yesterday for Dar!o. He had a couple of bad injuries which spoiled his career for a couple of years, but he is 6 feet 1, 28 and certainly knows where the goal is. Would it be worth looking at him as I can't imagine they could afford to turn down a reasonable offer and I doubt he would be on big money there.
Posted by: golfer, January 21, 2018, 9:37am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mallyner
I notice Reece Styche is playing and scored yesterday for Dar!o. He had a couple of bad injuries which spoiled his career for a couple of years, but he is 6 feet 1, 28 and certainly knows where the goal is. Would it be worth looking at him as I can't imagine they could afford to turn down a reasonable offer and I doubt he would be on big money there.

he's played well against us in the past but only been at Darlington for a couple of months so,although he's the type of player we could do with can't see it happening. We should have had the scouts out earlier but left everything too late as usual.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 21, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 23
Hes a good non league player, his few months at Lg 2 level didn't work out (nor did he score any goals), thats why he is still non league and thats probably his correct  level.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, January 21, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 24
Don’t even dare. We need that big sexy f*cker to keep us up.

You can have him for 2 million haha!
Posted by: Cloudy, January 21, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 25
Reece Styche? Seriously? ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, January 21, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 26
8 in 8 for us, fantastic at this level.

Can’t see him being good enough for league 2 though.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 27
Not as good as Vernam from what I've seen so far. He's looking like a good signing from the initial evidence.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 21, 2018, 3:00pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Don’t even dare. We need that big sexy f*cker to keep us up.

You can have him for 2 million haha!

:) :) Sorry Andy I do have a soft spot for Darlo and it's not the manure heap at the bottom of my garden.  :).      I always look for your result. All the best.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), January 23, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 29
The silence is deafening!!

That statement GTFC!!! Awesome!! Well we are 1 week away from the deadline and nothing!!........

I do hope you see sense because, no matter if he turns things around, the opinion is never going to favour RS and it is clear that with him in charge, you will never achieve great attendances!!

What kind of businessman would allow that to happen??!!

LISTEN TO THE FANS FOR ONCE AND LET US KNOW THAT, NOT ONLY CAN YOU HEAR US, YOU OCASSIONALLY LISTEN!!

UTM
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 23, 2018, 8:50am; Reply: 30
Like rabbits in the headlights,this club is sleep walking into the Conference.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 23, 2018, 9:40am; Reply: 31
Why do clubs always wait until the last minute with transfer deadlines? We could sign Messi and Ronaldo at the end of January but we'd never make the play-offs. Had we signed them on 1st Jan we'd have had a sporting chance!
Posted by: oldun, January 23, 2018, 9:58am; Reply: 32
Quoted from friskneymariner
Like rabbits in the headlights,this club is sleep walking into the Conference.

I hope not, but we are in a difficult situation with a manager who's future is uncertain struggling to bring in players to help us and the prospect of wholesale changes in the summer which will be yet another big gamble. Looking at how things have panned out, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the time to make serious investment was immediately after promotion and let Paul Hurst get on with it. I reckon we could have been in the top seven that season.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 23, 2018, 10:04am; Reply: 33
It's beginning to look like Bullshito to me, yellow bamboo chi style.

[youtube]1NlhIuJ-y8k[/youtube]

Once you lose trust....
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 23, 2018, 10:26am; Reply: 34
Simon Jordan (the ex Palace Chairman) was on talkSPORT last night talking about managers.  He said he had worked with many managers and in his opinion all of them were always looking themselves first.  Looking for their next (better) job. Clubs and loyalty don't get much of a look-in then?.  
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 23, 2018, 10:38am; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
Not as good as Vernam from what I've seen so far. He's looking like a good signing from the initial evidence.

Absolutely, it was clear within 5 minutes of his debut that he is a talented footballer. I expect him to do well on his loan, the club not to act fast enough and him to sign for Scunny in the summer.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 36
Quoted from 1542
The silence is deafening!!

That statement GTFC!!! Awesome!! Well we are 1 week away from the deadline and nothing!!........

I do hope you see sense because, no matter if he turns things around, the opinion is never going to favour RS and it is clear that with him in charge, you will never achieve great attendances!!

What kind of businessman would allow that to happen??!!

LISTEN TO THE FANS FOR ONCE AND LET US KNOW THAT, NOT ONLY CAN YOU HEAR US, YOU OCASSIONALLY LISTEN!!

UTM

The statement does not say specifically that we would be signing new players in this window- it is very carefully worded.

To get players guaranteed to be better than what we have and ready to go straight into the team and make a difference, you would have to pay top dollar. Only alternative is loans wholly or partly funded by the other club, or gambling on players from a lower division. Even in the summer, with more time and money, we didn't shop very wisely did we? More failures than successes.

Players that are good enough to improve us, available and wanting to come here will be very rare indeed i would think.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 23, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

The statement does not say specifically that we would be signing new players in this window- it is very carefully worded.

To get players guaranteed to be better than what we have and ready to go straight into the team and make a difference, you would have to pay top dollar. Only alternative is loans wholly or partly funded by the other club, or gambling on players from a lower division. Even in the summer, with more time and money, we didn't shop very wisely did we? More failures than successes.

Players that are good enough to improve us, available and wanting to come here will be very rare indeed i would think.

Agree with your analysis, but why has the board backed a strategy which is not deliverable? You could not make it up!

Posted by: Garth, January 23, 2018, 1:58pm; Reply: 38

Agree with your analysis, but why has the board backed a strategy which is not deliverable? You could not make it up!

Who says its not deliverable, its going to be very difficult to deliver but nothings impossible with our Russ
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 23, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 39
The board say they are backing russ and Wilko in the transfer window and we will be ready again for the playoff push !!!! well you haven’t got long left and there’s no sign of anyone coming through the door barring Kean and Vernam we need more than them to keep us away from relegation never mind the playoffs tick tock !!!
Posted by: oldun, January 23, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 40
They did not say specifically in this window and RS has said several times some players might be available to come in during the summer. This is their smoke and mirrors get out clause.
Posted by: oldun, January 23, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 41
They did not say specifically in this window and RS has said several times some players might be available to come in during the summer. This is their smoke and mirrors get out clause.
Posted by: denni266, January 23, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 42
I cannot believe what Mr Fenty is doing to our club. Running it down again to non league standards from the very top to the bottom .. Hold your head down and hide like you are doing right now.. Holding the club back for a poxy 2 mill. nothing in football terms . We need someone who knows about football , not a gloryfied fish filleter playing look at me.. Every one can see we need players , and yes that costs money , so you are either in or out  
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 23, 2018, 4:14pm; Reply: 43
My biggest worry is this, the players contracted for next season:

Dixon
Rose
Kelly
Dembele (option)
Jones
Hooper
Cardwell
Killip (option)
Osborne (option)

That is desperate stuff if we don't re-sign some of our better players from this season (basically Matt, Mills and Summerfield). We need a whole new squad not a few quality players.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Mariner_09

Dixon
Rose
Kelly
Dembele (option)
Jones
Hooper
Cardwell
Killip (option)
Osborne (option)

That is desperate stuff if we don't re-sign some of our better players from this season (basically Matt, Mills and Summerfield). We need a whole new squad not a few quality players.

Matt isn't ours to sign!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 45
Or it could be seen as an opportunity to clear the decks and have a smaller, better quality squad. First task is to negotiate this season unscathed. Then it's up to those in the boardroom and in management what happens after that.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 23, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from oldun

They did

Jan 9: Board statement
In the wake of growing fan unrest, Grimsby Town directors voted to 'unequivocally' back manager Russell Slade - and give him the financial support needed in the transfer window to improve his squad.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from ginnywings
Or it could be seen as an opportunity to clear the decks and have a smaller, better quality squad. First task is to negotiate this season unscathed. Then it's up to those in the boardroom and in management what happens after that.

I am very much with you on this.

A few weeks ago we may have been able to muse over the future, but all of a sudden survival as a football league club is all that matters.

To be relegated is unthinkable - far worse than last time and that was the worst I have ever felt.

Lets get safe, and then discuss  at length how we can move forward with or without the current board. I would much prefer the current lot to be outed, but it is in their hands if they can find extra inward investment.

The seasons end will also be the time to discuss the new stadium malarky. We would have something heard by now, so if it is a no goer then that changes a lot of things.

My lad and I have often said there is no way Fenty would allow us to be relegated again as he would surely have learned from the previous time! We said we would get top quality players in and quick if it ever looked we might be dragged into a relegation battle...

This is what we are up against - a non chairman who never seems to learn from experience.
Posted by: Badger57, January 23, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 48

My lad and I have often said there is no way Fenty would allow us to be relegated again as he would surely have learned from the previous time! We said we would get top quality players in and quick if it ever looked we might be dragged into a relegation battle..

You would have thought, hoped and expected that at the very least wouldn't you?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Mariner_09

Dixon
Rose
Kelly
Dembele (option)
Jones
Hooper
Cardwell
Killip (option)
Osborne (option)

Just to point out Mr Slade & Mr Fenty, that list will not sell many season tickets for next season, even if we manage to stay up.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from ginnywings

Looking at that list and if the 6 that are deemed to be contracted for next season remain then the squad cannot be too small as most of those aren't deemed good enough by either the fans or Russell Slade.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2018, 11:04pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from arryarryarry

Looking at that list and if the 6 that are deemed to be contracted for next season remain then the squad cannot be too small as most of those aren't deemed good enough by either the fans or Russell Slade.

But could probably do a job as back up to better players.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), January 24, 2018, 6:18am; Reply: 52
It’s really irritating and dishonest to come out with sweeping statements of intent, just to provide a decoy for the real issues! This discontent will not go away with RS at the helm, the opinion is no longer divided, it’s unanimous!!! You lose trust, you just lose trust!!

Absolutely zero news coming out of GTFC which is very depressing. Clutching at stories like ‘when I managed Harry Kane’ or ‘our form earlier in the season (3 games!!)’ is all very boring. Let’s face it, you had nothing whatsoever to do with Harry Kane’s rise to fame so please stop with these tedious links.

It also seems like there is nothing coming out of Radio Humberside either, another burnt bridge I think.

We are a mess of a Club and need of help before it’s too late.

Luton at Home will be more ‘Smoke and Mirrors’ as they will bring a few which will inflate the gate!!

Please, somebody wake me up from this nightmare.
Posted by: chaos33, January 24, 2018, 7:34am; Reply: 53
Yup
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 54
Has anyone seen the lad at Grantham play? Lee Shaw, playing at a much lower lever, but he is banging in the goals. Apparently Scunny are tracking him and I wonder if we are.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 24, 2018, 9:44am; Reply: 55
Sums Slade up living in the past,he time has gone.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 24, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 56
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Has anyone seen the lad at Grantham play? Lee Shaw, playing at a much lower lever, but he is banging in the goals. Apparently Scunny are tracking him and I wonder if we are.

No chance, I understand there is an agreement between him, Grantham and a club already for the end of the season.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 24, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

No chance, I understand there is an agreement between him, Grantham and a club already for the end of the season.

That's a shame. These are the sort of players that can be plucked from a lower level and are happy to stay in the area. We have had our best success in recent years signing players from a lower level. Obviously we did great from the Bogle deal, but players like Pearson, Mckeown and Mills all improved us and stayed with us for more than one season. On that note, I'd like to see Mills stay and hope he's been offered a contract.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:58am