Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 16, 2018, 12:57pm
If anybody calls you from 02081442050 or a similar number telling you they are from BT,

Ignore then or tell them you know its a scam,

They are trying to access information off your computer,

Non footy but thought as many of you should be told,

I know a lot of you are wise to these merchants but someone on here just might get caught.

I told them I would ring them back then I checked and found out its a scam.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 16, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 1

I've had three BT scam phone calls in the last three weeks, one claiming someone is trying to access my internet from California.

Needless to say I sussed them out straight away.
Posted by: Maringer, January 16, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 2
Thing to remember is that BT is such a massive and disorganised entity, that they almost certainly wouldn't contact you to warn you about any attempted theft of your data/information, even if somebody in the organisation knew about it!
Posted by: LH, January 16, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 3
I got a scam season ticket for a football ground but they don’t play football etc etc.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 16, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH
I got a scam season ticket for a football ground but they don’t play football etc etc.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lkiPq6x.jpg[/img]
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 16, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
If anybody calls you from 02081442050 or a similar number telling you they are from BT,

I know a lot of you are wise to these merchants but someone on here just might get caught.

Thanks Pete.

May I add a scam of mine, well not my scam but one I am aware of.

I get asked about this quite regularly at work, someone has an email from HMRC saying they are entitled to a refund.

It is bollox, HMRC do not do this by email it is just a con to try to get your bank details but it does look genuine. I quite often have to send out national distribution emails warning the staff.
Posted by: Teesknees, January 16, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Marinerz93

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lkiPq6x.jpg[/img]

Ooh Mary!
Posted by: wigworld, January 16, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 7
I don't get it. Why the picture of Mr Fenty?
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 16, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

Thanks Pete.

May I add a scam of mine, well not my scam but one I am aware of.

I get asked about this quite regularly at work, someone has an email from HMRC saying they are entitled to a refund.

It is bollox, HMRC do not do this by email it is just a con to try to get your bank details but it does look genuine. I quite often have to send out national distribution emails warning the staff.

I get emails from "HMRC" quite regularly. The "real" HMRC have an email address to send "phisching" scams to.
Posted by: golfer, January 16, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 9
Believe me it's not a scam-just send cheques to  "GOLFER" c/o "The Fishy-Grimsby"
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 16, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think we've had a call from them yesterday Pete, but thanks for the heads-up.

Also aware that there's a scam by a man called Russell masquerading as a football manager - Trades Description have been informed.
Posted by: Kris2, January 16, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 11
Probably a variation of the old Microsoft scam where they access your PC with remote access and install a bunch of dodgy stuff on it. Nobody for any reason should access your computer, remote access wasn't made for letting any random on the phone use your PC functions through their own. I usually just ignore any calls from a number I don't recognise and then check them in google. Most I get are accident claims and PPI phishing calls or marketing scams.

Don't hand over your information to anyone, don't do anything they ask until they prove who they are and that they have business with you. A company that is legit should be able to send a letter to your home and answer calls on their proper phone line confirming they are trying to contact you. Even with this "we are doing marketing free prize draw" nonsense just put the phone down, they aren't really a marketing company and there is no lottery. They gather information and sell it.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 16, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 12
There is a more sinister one that has been doing the rounds for years and it's so easy to get caught out, it's called marriage. Some men have lost everything, beware!!!
Posted by: wigworld, January 16, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Marinerz93
There is a more sinister one that has been doing the rounds for years and it's so easy to get caught out, it's called marriage. Some men have lost everything, beware!!!

Incredibly, some mugs fall for this one more than once!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 17, 2018, 12:54am; Reply: 14
Quoted from wigworld

Incredibly, some mugs fall for this one more than once!

Rub it in why don't you.
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 17, 2018, 4:10am; Reply: 15
My Dad offered to buy me a season ticket for the registry office.......
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:22pm