Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, January 13, 2018, 9:18pm
From the Pontoon seemed to be nothing in it at all...around my position we were as bemused as Matt was ...listening to post match Humberside both Buckley and JT seemed to think he led with an arm.

Any Mainstanders on here offer a view ?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 13, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 1
Looked like he tried to spin the player using his arm as leverage, it didn't seem high enough to catch the player as an elbow, Newport players made a bit out of nearly every tackle though didn't they.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 13, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Marinerz93
Looked like he tried to spin the player using his arm as leverage, it didn't seem high enough to catch the player as an elbow, Newport players made a bit out of nearly every tackle though didn't they.

i heard him squeal like a pig but genuinely saw nothing at all in it from my angle
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 3
Think everyone heard him squeal like a pig and he wasn't the only one from their side. Don't mind losing fair and square but i hate all that gamesmanship bollox. He got Matt sent off and lo and behold, he was then fine to carry on.
Posted by: livosnose, January 13, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 4
Matt unfortunately is a target for refs. He’s had it coming I’m afraid rightly or wrongly
Posted by: GrimRob, January 14, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 5
Has anyone ever come on as a sub, scored and got sent off before?
Posted by: GG, January 14, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimRob
Has anyone ever come on as a sub, scored and got sent off before?

West Brom's Hal Robson-Kanu did earlier this season against Burnley.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, January 14, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
Think everyone heard him squeal like a pig and he wasn't the only one from their side. Don't mind losing fair and square but i hate all that gamesmanship bollox. He got Matt sent off and lo and behold, he was then fine to carry on.

Ref’s in control though. Thought the added time at the end of the Crewe game was the urine take of the urine takes though.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 14, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 8
Looks harsh to me. His arm was up, but doesn't look intentional at all

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11207047/grimsby-1-2-newport
Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 9
Clear cheating. I think there's a bit of (accidental) contact but not enough to make him go down.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 14, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 10
The ref wanted to be star of the show I think.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 14, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 11
This from the player Matt caught after “someone” accused him of getting a fellow pro sent off,

https://twitter.com/mickeyd_09/status/952599964009582592

Sadly I was the accuser, bit embarrassed tbh
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 14, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC
This from the player Matt caught after “someone” accused him of getting a fellow pro sent off,

https://twitter.com/mickeyd_09/status/952599964009582592

Sadly I was the accuser, bit embarrassed tbh

His arm may have caught him but not an elbow in his face, as one of his team mates displayed to the ref, and he certainly made a meal of the contact, so in essence you are correct in calling him out.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
He still squealed so loud that everyone in the ground heard it. I'd have been embarrassed with myself if i had reacted like that on a football pitch.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 14, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 14
Sat in the main it looked very harsh there was absolutely no intent from Jamile.

The player knew time wasting was needed to ease the pressure he went down like a sack of sshit with sound effects on full volume. The other players and management bellowed at the ref.

The ref fell for it and showed a straight red their manager was clapping he knew that was it job done,game over.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 14, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Marinerz93

His arm may have caught him but not an elbow in his face, as one of his team mates displayed to the ref, and he certainly made a meal of the contact, so in essence you are correct in calling him out.

Looked to me like it was Matt's arm across his neck....enough to go down and influence the referee to make a decision on the play acting as much as the action itself.

Would you deliberately try to get a so-called mate sent off? Maybe if he thought there was a chance we were really coming back in to the game, which could have meant Newport squandering their lead. Cheating is maybe too harsh but certainly played the ref if you ask me

Surely though Town have to appeal the decision.... if the FL want a good enough reason to rescind, surely they'll sympathise if we just tell the review panel the only other option we have is to play Vernon until next month?  ;)

Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 16
I doubt it will get overturned as they usually back the ref. If we appeal and lose, don't they add an extra game on?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 14, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
I doubt it will get overturned as they usually back the ref. If we appeal and lose, don't they add an extra game on?

I think they tend to add an extra game when they consider it a frivolous appeal, but I think Matt has a good case for his card to be over-turned

It worked once before when Gary Jones escaped a ban....the Lincoln home play-off semi home game, for an"offence" which was just as innocuous as yesterday's
Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2018, 7:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I think they tend to add an extra game when they consider it a frivolous appeal, but I think Matt has a good case for his card to be over-turned

It worked once before when Gary Jones escaped a ban ( the Lincoln home play-off semi home game ) which was as innocuous as yesterday

May as well go for it then. We won't need him anyway when we sign a striker for £100,000 tomorrow.  ::)
Posted by: Maringer, January 14, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 19
It looked clumsy from the upper findus so I wasn't surprised to see the red card given, harsh as it may have been.

Yesterday, yet another game where the opposition won no end of ridiculously soft free-kicks by falling over whenever there was even the hint of a challenge. On the other hand, we don't go down in this sort of a situation. Well, Davies does, but the rest of them don't.

On the other hand, at some of our set pieces near the end, a couple of players were physically pinning Matt in place, not allowing him to move at all but this sort of thing is never noticed by the officials for some reason.

I hate to see players taking a dive/falling over too easily but the referees at this level fall for it time and again so I wonder how much we're losing out because of it?
Posted by: Bigdog, January 14, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 20
The most damning thing from the whole clip was not an ounce of outrage from any of our players except Matt re the really soft sending off. Shows how fired up they are and how much the game means to them.. They may be on the pitch and putting effort in but are any of them prepared to roll their sleeves up and go that extra mile?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 14, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Bigdog
The most damning thing from the whole clip was not an ounce of outrage from any of our players except Matt re the really soft sending off. Shows how fired up they are and how much the game means to them.. They may be on the pitch and putting effort in but are any of them prepared to roll their sleeves up and go that extra mile?

Interesting point as yesterday at 2 - 0 & 2 -1 we never looked like we had an idea of how to chase the game.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 15, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

May as well go for it then. We won't need him anyway when we sign a striker for £100,000 tomorrow.  ::)

Don’t they say tomorrow never comes…… ::)

Anyway Town have confirmed the appeal

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/club-to-appeal-matt-dismissal/

Fingers crossed then!
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 3:56am