Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, January 11, 2018, 7:33pm
Nice to see an article earlier from the Grimsby Telegraph explaining that the majority of town fans aren't upset about the amount of points we have, but we're annoyed at the way we are playing. I've openly said it many times on here, we're exactly where I expected us to be points wise but in regards to the way we are playing it's terrible.
Is everyone's feelings on here the same? If Slade was trying to get us to play decent football would you be satisfied where we are in the league at the moment?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 11, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 1
Given that the minimum expectation this season was top 7 I am not satisfied with the current league position and points tally.

If I could see progress I would be happy but Slade has a worse points per game ratio than Bignot and in my book that is not progress!
Posted by: Grantley, January 11, 2018, 7:57pm; Reply: 2
If we aren’t winning, we could at least be playing semi-decent football - we’re doing neither!
Posted by: lukeo, January 11, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 3
Minimum was 7th? says who? Look at the size of the club, the quality of the management team, the quality of the squad the budget etc. There are probably 15 odd teams who I'm sure have atleast one eye on the play offs and hope to get into the lottery of it.
Posted by: Biccys, January 11, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 4
Allegedly the playing budget is "top 7"
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 11, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from lukeo
Minimum was 7th? says who? Look at the size of the club, the quality of the management team, the quality of the squad the budget etc. There are probably 15 odd teams who I'm sure have atleast one eye on the play offs and hope to get into the lottery of it.

Slade did on his first interview on his appointment.

Got to say we are a little higher up then I thought we would be, but in no way shocked about the "quality" of the football.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Biccys

I don’t have the evidence to either support or dismiss your comment but logic dictates that a large squad takes some funding, even at our level.  
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 11, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Biccys

Based on what JF said in RS’s first press conference?
Posted by: UTMAdinfinitum, January 11, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 8
I'm content to watch a team that tries to play passing football and there is demonstrable effort from the players, if this means at the minimum mid-table.
Obviously, if you're in the mess of a relegation battle it's all hands to the pump and points at whatever cost.
I've witnessed this situation away at the Champions elect Ipswich when AB was manager, a battling 0-0 by the 'red army's left me and my father totally mentally drained but so proud of the players.
But that was necessary.
I don't feel any belonging to the current playing 'style', it's awful and depressing even when we win.
I've never felt this low!, except after relegation to the conference and the Bristol Rovers Wembley defeat at Wembley.
But both of these occasions I was inwardly angry, determined and wanting to fight! But now I feel like it's groundhog day and I'm low on reserves.
I'm another season ticket holder of 30+years, and I don't want to go in Saturday.
Not out of a boycott or protest but because I can't do it to myself.
Those of you that do go, you have my admiration.
Posted by: UTMAdinfinitum, January 11, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 9
Sorry for the odd typo
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 11, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from lukeo

Russell Slade said it in the press conference when he was appointed. So against the target that he publicly set we are currently failing.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 11, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 11
It makes Hurst’s fundamentallly conservative observastions and realistic targets look quite sensible now doesn’t it? Not dour and unambitious, just sensible.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Biccys

If so why did the latest statement say that they were making an injection of money in order to make the budget competitive?
Posted by: Biccys, January 11, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 13
From what we were told earlier in the season. Tbf the board haven't, as far as we're told, ever refused any manager a portion of that budget, whoever it was. Wth this budget we should be top 7. We aren't and don't look like being any t soon. Failure thus far, whichever way you want to spin it.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2018, 11:00pm; Reply: 14
It might be top 7 in quantity but it's not in quality.

I'd be flabbergasted if it was top 7 given that in the division below we were struggling to each make the top 7 and the directors are not pumping in huge sums every year (unlike some clubs in the division).
Posted by: Biccys, January 12, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from forza ivano

If so why did the latest statement say that they were making an injection of money in order to make the budget competitive?

Because this idiot manager has frittered it away on crap. Nobody can tell me all the players he's brought in are better than those he cast out. The top 7 budget is a direct quote from his Nibbs. So wth the extra, it is probably top 5. So much for building the team eh?
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 12:54am