Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 11, 2018, 3:49pm
DRUNKEN ABUSE REMOVED
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, January 11, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 1
Bloody hell, surely you can't have come to the same opinion as a few town fans all the way from Beijing? Surely you are taking their word for it?
Posted by: Grantley, January 11, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 2
I’m very much SladeOut but is it necessary to make fun of the way he talks?
Posted by: livosnose, January 11, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Grantley
I’m very much SladeOut but is it necessary to make fun of the way he talks?

Yes it likes an episode of open all hours..........but without the laughs ...........

Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 11, 2018, 5:09pm; Reply: 4
Ffs has the fishy really come to this !!!
Posted by: sam gy, January 11, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 5
Well the football might be boring, but this forum ain’t any better at the moment.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 11, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 6
Slades comes across as if he's making excrement up on the spot as he tries to regurgitate sound bites which he thinks the fans want to hear.
Posted by: Freemoash88, January 11, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 7
You can have a pop at him for performances but it’s below the bar to take the urine out of stutter.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 11, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 8
He talks so much balderdash, wants a smaller squad and points to the fact two players have already gone out this window, what about the two you just brought in then?  

Talks about a squad of 24 and how we were overloaded when he came in, but seems to have amnesia about the (now) 15 players he has brought in and 6 renewed contracts he handed out.

Every week he says about the opposition "they do the basics well" maybe he should take notice of this himself.
Posted by: rancido, January 11, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Freemoash88
You can have a pop at him for performances but it’s below the bar to take the urine out of stutter.

And yet some fans think it's perfectly ok to have a pop at JF because of his dyslexia. Hypocrisy at its extreme!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 11, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 10
I always thought it was just Slade talking without a script not a stammer.
Posted by: golfer, January 11, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Nah--Its on the pitch where there's no script
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 11, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 12
The guy cant win!! We need players and especially strikers. Hes signed one and it was clear we needed experienced cover for macca as killip wasnt ready for 1st team yet. Yes we need a smaller squad but we also need better quality in the first 11. I expect more to arrive and more leaving in this window but we must remember that Slade had the task of trimming down a squad of close to 40 that Bignot assembled and players dont walk away for nothing!!

Also good to hear that he still wants another striker despite signing Vernum as we are not getting anything from vernon, hooper and cardwell (limited chances). Would also like to see a left back, left wing and central midfielder but suppose it depends on who will move on.

Personally we need to shift.....
Vernon
Kelly
Hooper
Woolford
Berrett
Cardwell
Dixon
Clifton (loan)

Still on fence about...
Clements and mcallister. If they are proving there fitness then should be given chances in the team
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 13

Same. Never even crossed my mind that he had a stutter. It's a classic stalling tactic while he frames his words. Lot's of people under public scrutiny do it.
Posted by: Croxton, January 11, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 14
If Vernam is better than Cardwell then so be it. If not, what is the point of another inexperienced young player? Clifton had a long successful spell on loan last season so give him some minutes as sub in place of Berret.
Not keen on 'marquee ' signings. Raid the U23 Championship squads for a rapid left back on loan.
Slade showed little sign of a stutter when he slammed Matt Dean in the fans forum. Even so, lets concentrate on the content of his ramblings.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 11, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Stew0_0
The guy cant win!! We need players and especially strikers. Hes signed one and it was clear we needed experienced cover for macca as killip wasnt ready for 1st team yet. Yes we need a smaller squad but we also need better quality in the first 11. I expect more to arrive and more leaving in this window but we must remember that Slade had the task of trimming down a squad of close to 40 that Bignot assembled and players dont walk away for nothing!!

Also good to hear that he still wants another striker despite signing Vernum as we are not getting anything from vernon, hooper and cardwell (limited chances). Would also like to see a left back, left wing and central midfielder but suppose it depends on who will move on.

Vernon
Kelly (Slade Player)
Hooper (Slade Player)
Woolford (Slade Player)
Berrett
Cardwell (Slade Player)
Dixon (Slade Player)
Clifton (loan)

Still on fence about...
Clements and mcallister. If they are proving there fitness then should be given chances in the team

Can you see the problem...
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 11, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Stew0_0

Vernon
Kelly
Hooper
Woolford
Berrett
Cardwell
Dixon
Clifton (loan)

Still on fence about...

Bignot did not assemble a squad of 40 players, the squad he had was marginally smaller than it is now. Of those players you mention none of them were signed by Bignot and most of them were signed by Slade!
Posted by: livosnose, January 11, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from livosnose

Yes it likes an episode of open all hours..........but without the laughs ...........

Ronnie Barker didn't have a stutter and neither does Slade ! Stalling tactics as he is always trying to cover his bottom.
Posted by: livosnose, January 11, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from rancido

And yet some fans think it's perfectly ok to have a pop at JF because of his dyslexia. Hypocrisy at its extreme!

Stop talking dribble  :-/

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Stew0_0

Vernon
Kelly
Hooper

Woolford
Berrett
Cardwell
Dixon

Clifton (loan)

Still on fence about...

I have asked this question several times but I will ask it again..............how do we get rid of players on 2 year contracts that it is very unlikely anyone else will want to come in and buy them.

You say we need a left back and strikers but Slade has only a few months ago bought some in.

Are you suggesting he has bought crap players?

As for Clements and McAllister, I would doubt we will see them in the first team again.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have asked this question several times but I will ask it again..............how do we get rid of players on 2 year contracts that it is very unlikely anyone else will want to come in and buy them.

You say we need a left back and strikers but Slade has only a few months ago bought some in.

Are you suggesting he has bought crap players?

As for Clements and McAllister, I would doubt we will see them in the first team again.

Understand where you’re coming from but name me one manager that’s never made a crap signing?
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 139914

Understand where you’re coming from but name me one manager that’s never made a crap signing?

You mean 5 first team players in the matter of a few weeks, that took some doing.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, January 11, 2018, 11:34pm; Reply: 22
He had some assistance from Wilko though Arry - Hooper and Kelly both worked with him before so he had some idea of what we was getting.

I feel sorry for Cardwell to be honest - didn't do too bad pre-season yet doesn't seem to be given a sniff of the first team.
Posted by: Tommy, January 12, 2018, 12:04am; Reply: 23
What is the actual point of the OP in this thread?
Posted by: livosnose, January 12, 2018, 12:38am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Tommy
What is the actual point of the OP in this thread?

Slade doesn't know what he's doing ?
Posted by: Tommy, January 12, 2018, 12:52am; Reply: 25
Just wandered as all the poster has done is quote Slade talking about how Luton's manager has had 5 transfer windows to build his squad. Then pointed out that Luton's manager has had 5 transfer windows (including this one) to build his team. Doesn't really seem like there's any point to the post.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 12, 2018, 5:48am; Reply: 26
I wasn't having a pop at his stutter, actually, I was having a pop at his constant indecision. Does he have a stutter?
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 12, 2018, 5:56am; Reply: 27
Quoted from BeijingMariner
I wasn't having a pop at his stutter, actually, I was having a pop at his constant indecision. Does he have a stutter?

I 'm honestly confused, I thought there were two transfer windows 9 June – 31 August     1 January – 31 January.
If Jones joined in Jan 2016 surely the most he could be claimed as having is 3, including this one.

And, again, for everyone who thought I was being mean, I honestly wasn't making a cheap remark about his stutter, because I didn't think (and still don't)  that it was a stutter, just what it sounds like when someone has no idea what they are going to say next.

UTM
Posted by: ska face, January 12, 2018, 6:27am; Reply: 28

I 'm honestly confused, I thought there were two transfer windows 9 June – 31 August     1 January – 31 January.
If Jones joined in Jan 2016 surely the most he could be claimed as having is 3, including this one.

And, again, for everyone who thought I was being mean, I honestly wasn't making a cheap remark about his stutter, because I didn't think (and still don't)  that it was a stutter, just what it sounds like when someone has no idea what they are going to say next.

UTM

Jan 16
Summer 16
Jan 17
Summer 17
Jan 18

Now, put your hand out in front of you and count on your fingers, how many is that?

You’ve done a great job of illustrating that Slade’s the thick one here. Well done.

Posted by: Davec, January 12, 2018, 6:32am; Reply: 29
I think it is clear that Slades realises he signed a load of players who aren't good enough in the summer, Slade and Wilko are supposed to be shrewd transfer operators so is this poor recruitment a one off or is it down to the fact that both of them are on a downward spiral and as such their "talent spitting" skills are not as they was. If it is the latter is don't hold any hope at all for the remainder of this month or in the summer
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 12, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 30
Quoted from ska face

Jan 16
Summer 16
Jan 17
Summer 17
Jan 18

Now, put your hand out in front of you and count on your fingers, how many is that?

You’ve done a great job of illustrating that Slade’s the thick one here. Well done.

Yes, you are right, I made a mistake and missed out an entire year, That was pretty dim of me. Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted by: Maringer, January 12, 2018, 8:17am; Reply: 31
To be fair to Slade, the January transfer window isn't a 'proper' one unless you've got cash to spend. Players tend to be under contract and you'll only be able to sign them if you've got the cash to buy them or if they aren't wanted by their current clubs.

This is why it is so rare for a really meaningful and season-changing signing to be made in January. Instead, you end up with players such as Mendes, Wright, Peacock etc etc etc.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 12, 2018, 10:19am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair to Slade, the January transfer window isn't a 'proper' one unless you've got cash to spend. Players tend to be under contract and you'll only be able to sign them if you've got the cash to buy them or if they aren't wanted by their current clubs.

This is why it is so rare for a really meaningful and season-changing signing to be made in January. Instead, you end up with players such as Mendes, Wright, Peacock etc etc etc.

And it's the reason i'm not expecting much in Jan. Problem the club has now is that most fans are expecting because of their vague statement. It's another 'hairs on the back of the neck', and will be used to further beat the club with if we don't bring in anyone significant this window.
Posted by: Maringer, January 12, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 33
Yep, I'm just hoping for one or two half-decent signings. Our best hope is probably an up and coming youngster from a big club on a loan deal but it remains to be seen whether any such players are available and willing to come. Harry Kane was eager to go out on loan and play when he was a youngster. Could do with somebody like him!  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, January 12, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 34

If you write down anyone's actual speech it looks ridicuolous. It's a will known lingusitic fact. We don't talk like dialogue in novels would have us think.
Posted by: Maringer, January 12, 2018, 10:50am; Reply: 35
Beckham was a classic example of this back in the day. Watch any post match interview and you'll see he ends every sentence with, "You know".
Posted by: Mallyner, January 12, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 36

You can't tell Talk from Stutter?  :)
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 12, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer
Beckham was a classic example of this back in the day. Watch any post match interview and you'll see he ends every sentence with, "You know".

Hey Rob
You can delete the thread if you like, I really don't mind.
I was wrong about the quote of Slade because I came home from the pub, a bit drunk and missed a year and typed too quick,  especially on the 'post' button obviously. I don't bear anyone on the fishy ill-will, nor Slade, just a drunk town fan posting when he shouldn't because the manager is being a bit excrement right now. Anyway all of you, not sorry, because I didn't mean anything bad, but either way, Bye bye
Posted by: Bigdog, January 12, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 38
Pretty decent CA article today..

Wicklow Diary writes: It has the makings of a Python sketch. Bobby Roberts, Alan Buckley, Paul Hurst and Russell Slade in white dinner jackets sipping Mariners Ale on a sun drenched balcony in Skegness.

"When I arrived, I had no goalkeeper and only twelve players. And one of them was Scott McGarvey. We used to train in concrete 'ole in ground at the local school"

"You were lucky, me and Arthur lived in a Fitties caravan, had six senior pros and a defence consisting entirely of Steve Sherwood's moustache".

"Luxury. Our parachute money was used on mistakenly signing the wrong player on a three year deal and then paying him off. I had to work for two years with a Shouty lunatic without so much as a fitness and conditioning coach. And our fans used to get up twenty minutes before they want to bed to hang 'Hurst Out' banners on t'overpass days before I gave 'em the greatest moment of their lives."

"Right. I inherited a squad of 75 players who were so rubbish I had to get them in for training every Sunday morning. I signed 75 more and by end of season I still only had a five man squad with Sam Kelly, Harry Cardwell and Paul Dixon captained by JJ Hooper’s hair and wearing a kit that we knitted ourselves out of jam. And when we lost, local media would team up with the bullies and the warriors and beat us to death with well-directed criticism delivered with a caustic wit."

If you told the managers of today, they wouldn't believe you. All managers talk nonsense. It's not necessarily their fault. There is a 24-hour clickbait cycle and there are Twitter feeds to fill. Most oblige and Russell Slade is no different. Normally I can ignore it. Speaking yesterday to Radio Humberside (it was Gwilym Lloyd and not Matt Dean before you ask) his waffle went a trifle too far. I'm a builder, not a fixer claimed the man whose similarities to Tommy of the Town's Garry Gaffer are purely coincidental.

Pull the other one, Slades. Including the youth graduates (and someone might as well, it's not as if Slade ever will) 21 players have been signed since April. Let me add vidiprinter emphasis to that: twenty-one. Now brace yourself for three big ifs. If Siriki Dembele doesn't get sold and if we don't mess up the option on his contract and if Sam Jones doesn't get his bus fare home on the ex-Marcus plan, we will have seven players in contract for next season.

The meagre squads they inherited are used to frame the hopeless task facing Roberts in 1987 and Buckley the following season. Ok, Hursty has little to add to that angle but I couldn't do a Yorkshireman skit without including him. Slades? He'll be inheriting his own mess. Put it another way: after a season and a half of Slade's planning and 'building' we will be in a worse state then when Mick Lyons destroyed the club. At least then we still had Super Don O'Riordan.

A board that provides more funds to chuck at a wall to see what sticks isn't backing the manager. It's negligent. Store that negligence away for a laugh the next time you hear a surly board member lecture us about his 'fiduciary duty' to vote in favour of B-teams in the Chicken-Tray Trophy. To follow the comedic theme, if Slade is a builder he's O'Reilly, the slapstick and slipshod stereotype of Fawlty Towers. Russ is busy this transfer window trying to patch over his own botch jobs. In June the roof falls in and the whole charade will begin again.

Unless that rumour about squad numbered bananas is true, Bignot was sacked for a lot less than this. As tempting as it is to get rid of Slade, we all know that would be rolling a loaded dice on which five sides are chaos ending in relegation with the other side chaos ending in more chaos. Still, I can empathise with those that want shot of him; different chaos might be more entertainment than this.

A builder, eh? At the moment we look incapable of building anything. A builder might have shaped his side around Jamey Osborne. Why have we allowed one of our best players to leave? Osborne joins the what the hell were the club thinking of? list with Podge, Arnold, Pearson and others. As bad as the club's PR is, they always manage to put some spiel out when a fan favourite leaves. It's just enough to grease the thoughts of the fans. You've all heard this classic: "If they don't want to be here, good riddance." I've news for you: few professional footballers dream of playing for GTFC. They just sort of end up here. It's the job of the board and manager to entice players here and then fight like hell to keep them if they're any cop.

Slade shouldn't be allowed to bring in anyone else. He should be out on the training ground all day and everyday trying to make Kelly look like a professional footballer. There has to be a player in there. Has to be. It's been said before but it's worth stressing: the players in our squad were the best at their school, the town and the county. They made it through trial after trial and a ruthless youth system. They are the wheat from the chaff, the cream at the top and other such synonyms that say they are in the miniscule percentage that make it in football. He hasn't shown it yet but Kelly is a footballer. Hooper is a footballer. Dixon is a footballer. I may not want to see Slade and Wilkinson sacked but I want to see them do what they're paid for. Get out there and coax the best out of these players so they can show us why you signed them.

Tomorrow, it's Newport County. No fan should ever want to lose to give their 'sack the manager' wish more clout. There is however a confusing emotion that resides in a dark corner of the soul. It surfaced last week against Morecambe. Normally, you feel quietly pleased when you are proven correct. This isn't the case when, as you suspected, your team is getting routinely stuffed. There's no pleasure, just a contradiction of incandescent rage crossed with utter and complete apathy. Know what I mean? I don't want to feel it but suspect I will when Podge kills the game off with the opener after ten minutes and rubs salt in the wounds by making it 2-0 just before half time.

Come on Slades, there's a team in there. We live for this and even though it's a job for you, you can't be enjoying it either. Forget instilling fear by talk of "not conceding the all-important first goal". Tell them to go and play. We're gonna score one more than they do. Reward the faith of the loyal hardcore that are going tomorrow even though logic says they should stay away. Up the bleedin' Mariners.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 12, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 39

Hey Rob
You can delete the thread if you like, I really don't mind.
I was wrong about the quote of Slade because I came home from the pub, a bit drunk and missed a year and typed too quick,  especially on the 'post' button obviously. I don't bear anyone on the fishy ill-will, nor Slade, just a drunk town fan posting when he shouldn't because the manager is being a bit excrement right now. Anyway all of you, not sorry, because I didn't mean anything bad, but either way, Bye bye

Drunk in charge of a computer LOL, I will delete the opening post in the thread since a lot has been added since which is valid
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 12, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 40

Yes, you are right, I made a mistake and missed out an entire year, That was pretty dim of me. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’d have done the same. Keep thinking it’s Jan 2017.

Has anyone made a good offer on Bogle yet? Reckon we should hold our for £2m plus add ons.
Posted by: bawarmy, January 12, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from livosnose

Open all hours isn’t funny
Posted by: Abdul19, January 13, 2018, 6:48am; Reply: 42

I’d have done the same. Keep thinking it’s Jan 2017.

Has anyone made a good offer on Bogle yet? Reckon we should hold our for £2m plus add ons.

This lad we've got from Solihull is the future, I tell ye.
Posted by: hheh2, January 13, 2018, 7:59am; Reply: 43
We should re-sign Bogle, heard Bogle doesn't like the area on a rainy night and he's having family troubles.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 13, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from hheh2
We should re-sign Bogle, heard Bogle doesn't like the area on a rainy night and he's having family troubles.

More likely to sign for Solihull than us ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 13, 2018, 12:22pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from hheh2

Not a Slade type player,

A goal scorer  ;)
Posted by: GTFCChris, January 14, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 46
It’s laughable that some people are taking the urine out of the way he speaks. Some off the grammar on this forum is the worst you will see around.

A 5 year old could construct a proper sentence and paragraph better then some of the incompetent idiots on here!

Posted by: RoboCod, January 14, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 47
(icon_arrowu) (whistling)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 14, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 48
I dont give a intercourse how he speaks but his clear lack of coaching ability flipping annoys me enough to have stayed away yesterday. Slade out and now
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 14, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 49
One of the things which winds me up the most is that he keeps on saying "We know that this group can score goals as they have done it in the past". Bearing in mind we have scored 8 goals since October the 18th and have the 2nd  worst goal scoring record in the league then I can't understand were he is coming from.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 8:11pm