Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2018, 7:47pm
So tonight is the night we get it.....

i really think the FA have fcked the implementation of this up....

why just one tie....could either side have a claim if a video refereeing decision costs them a place in the next round ?   Looking at the Notts Forest v Arsenal game yesterday for instance there were quite a few contentious issues which on balance went Forest's way, helping them through to the next round....VAR could have gone in Arsenal's favour potentially saving them .....so could any of the other ties in this weekends cup games....unfair in my opinion that just one tie, just one of two team's future in the competition may swing on a VAR.

If you bring it in then surely has to be on an even playing field where everyone in the competition , whether cup or league has the benefit of the system.
Posted by: dicko995, January 8, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 1
wouldn't affect us, we don't get the ball anywhere near opponents goal
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 2
well an easy ride for the VAR there, nothing to review at all other than goals which apparently it will automatically review anytime ...thankfully too.

Hope the FA get their act together (not holding my breath)  and if they roll this out they do it in a consistent and even manner.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 3

The Palace players moaned to the ref at the end I think that he didn't go to the VAR over Brighton's 2nd goal.

But surely the VAR had looked at it and deemed the goal to stand.

Or am I missing something here.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 4
There seems to be some confusion on the BBC Sports page as to whether it was reviewed or not. Slight suspicion of handball but no-one appears to know anything concrete. They seem to think the ref may have got a word in his ear that the goal was good?
Posted by: topuphere666, January 8, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 5
I hate that stuff like this is being trialled. Football is enjoyable for many reasons but I really like the flow to the game. Adding stop starts for reviews will taint it. How far back do they go for a decision to be changed? Do we wait till the next break in play which could be 2-3 minutes later?
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from topuphere666
I hate that stuff like this is being trialled. Football is enjoyable for many reasons but I really like the flow to the game. Adding stop starts for reviews will taint it. How far back do they go for a decision to be changed? Do we wait till the next break in play which could be 2-3 minutes later?

i think they rolled out a stat pre match from German VAR coverage data which says it has only been referred to once every three games over there
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 7

I'm all for the VAR myself.

The cheating in the game is getting more prevalent and sophisticated now and I see the VAR as the only weapon now to reverse this trend.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 9, 2018, 9:48am; Reply: 8
Quoted from topuphere666

there never is a flow to the game anymore, its always stop start, one minor touch and the ref blows
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 9, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 9
People say it will stop the flow of the game, well if you whatch a premier game there is no flow because every tackle/ touch results in a free kick to someone.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 9, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
well an easy ride for the VAR there, nothing to review at all other than goals which apparently it will automatically review anytime ...thankfully too.

Hope the FA get their act together (not holding my breath)  and if they roll this out they do it in a consistent and even manner.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) technology will be used in both legs of the Carabao Cup semi-final between Chelsea and Arsenal.

The video assistant referee (VAR) will be used in the FA Cup third round replays between Chelsea and Norwich, and Leicester City and Fleetwood Town.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 13, 2018, 11:36pm; Reply: 11

Just seen Watford's equaliser against Southampton, deffo handball that VAR would have sorted out and disallowed the goal.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 14, 2018, 12:04am; Reply: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just seen Watford's equaliser against Southampton, deffo handball that VAR would have sorted out and disallowed the goal.

and this is my point...just having it in selected games will give some teams an advantage...and in a cup competition that advantage could be the difference between a place in the next round or going out.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 16, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 13
Offside decision overturned for the first time in English football, goal given in the Leicester Fleetwood game for the home side.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 17, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 14

Chelsea v Norwich......   FA Cup

I know the VAR would have sorted it out if the ref had got it wrong but a shocking dive by Pedro in the Norwich box and rightly given a yellow for diving.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 17, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 15
Worked perfectly there  :o

Willian fouled in the box and booked for diving!
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 17, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 16
It's already getting out of hand.

Regardless of whether it was a penalty or not, we are already seeing players and managers appealing for its use. We'll be seeing it used for corners soon.

The reason Football is such a great game is because it has all of these incidents and decisions that could go either way. Thy may be right or wrong but definitely provide talking points at the pub.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 17, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 17
Already seen enough of it to think that football is better for referee error. Albeit not on the scale of Carl Boyeson and Graham Salisbury.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 17, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Already seen enough of it to think that football is better for referee error. Albeit not on the scale of Carl Boyeson and Graham Salisbury.

Yep, much better without VAR, the referee errors are part of the game.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 17, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 19
It adds nothing it seems. As seen with the Willian non-penalty it still comes down to the opinion of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It's tough for the ref seeing things in full motion ,no zooms or replays. What's the VAR operators excuse?
I don't know how the VAR panel will explain this away, they've just consigned this to the scrap heap.
Posted by: Teestogreen, January 17, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RoboCod
It adds nothing it seems. As seen with the Willian non-penalty it still comes down to the opinion of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It's tough for the ref seeing things in full motion ,no zooms or replays. What's the VAR operators excuse?
I don't know how the VAR panel will explain this away, they've just consigned this to the scrap heap.

Ditto - the Norwich player was too late with his lunge  - Willian was athletic enough to try and hurdle it but was tripped. Joke decision by the referee backed up by the VAR jokers - all on national TV. Don't see how VAR can continue in terms of player surveillance, with 'flawed' humans ultimately deciding.

I think it works as a ball tracker though for touchline decisions and offside decisions.

Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 1:02pm