Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, January 8, 2018, 3:21pm
hasn't Slade been sacked today.  We are in free-fall, sliding down the table rapidly, losing fans rapidly, and the Board still thinks Slade is the answer.  I will be there on Saturday, but if Slade is still in charge I really hope the crowd is below 3,000.........  this must surely tell the Board all they need to know.  Just what are we paying for when we go through the turnstiles week on week..........  One thing is for sure, if we start next season with Slade in charge I won't renew my season ticket.  There is only so much hoofball you can watch..........

UTM
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 8, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 1
Saturdays gate will be between 2,500 to 2,800 and it will continue to fall in the hundreds until we start winning.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 8, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 2
How many season tickets did we sell?
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 8, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 3
The only Slade that disappers this soon after Christmas is that annoying bloody song!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 8, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 4
Because I'm guessing Slade is on a decent whack and it'll cost a packet. Because he's Fenty's mate. Because were 13 points of relegation and to be fair because the playing budget is distinctively average so I can't imagine we'd do an awful lot better under anyone else.

Unless this streak goes on for a few months then we might end up doing "a Hartlepool" then he Fenty might panic. But otherwise were sentenced to this long ball misery for another 18 months at least I'm afraid.  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 5
My one crumb of comfort is that in Slade's first spell here, we finished 18th in his first season with 58 points, which is what we will get if we maintain our current average. Many fans were calling for his head then too. In his second season, to be fair, he brought in some really good players and we missed out on automatic on the last day of the season, and although i wasn't a fan of his playing style, many fans were and we did score some great goals and knocked a couple of big boys out of the cup. Think he did similar things at other clubs, notably Leyton Orient.

Similarly, Buckley in his first season finished 11th on 61 points, before he got us firing in the second season.

This is what i'm clinging to for now. Although i'm still not a fan of his playing style, it's more palatable if you can win with it.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 8, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from diehardmariner

It was something like 2910 I do believe maybe a little closer to 3000
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
My one crumb of comfort is that in Slade's first spell here, we finished 18th in his first season with 58 points, which is what we will get if we maintain our current average. Many fans were calling for his head then too. In his second season, to be fair, he brought in some really good players and we missed out on automatic on the last day of the season, and although i wasn't a fan of his playing style, many fans were and we did score some great goals and knocked a couple of big boys out of the cup. Think he did similar things at other clubs, notably Leyton Orient.

Similarly, Buckley in his first season finished 11th on 61 points, before he got us firing in the second season.

This is what i'm clinging to for now. Although i'm still not a fan of his playing style, it's more palatable if you can win with it.

Was looking at the contracts earlier today. Currently players retained beyond June include Dixon, Osborne, Rose, Tombola, Kelly, Cardwell, Hooper, Jones and Dembele if we take up the option of extending his contract. Of those 9 it is highly likely that two are going this window and I would only want to be keeping Jones, Dembele, Rose and maybe Cardwell at a push although if he can't break into our match day squad when we're not scoring then is there really any hope for him? Dixon, Hooper and Kelly will be passengers and I bet Dixon and Kelly are on decent wages. Kelly can't even get in our squad at the minute, what an awful, awful signing he has been. If we could offload any or all of them that would be ideal.

Of the players who's contracts are up I'd want to retain Summerfield, McKeown, Clarke, Mills and possibly Karleigh Osborne depending on what wages he's on as I think he's adequate back up. I cant' decide whether I'd keep Davies as he's been a consistent performer this season but isn't getting any younger. I'd probably release Killip, Collins, Berrett, Clements, McAllister, Woolford, Vernon and Asante. Of the current loanees I'd look to keep Matt, I think it's doubtful Norwich would let us have DJ again after not playing that much. All this would leave us with a squad of up to about 13 and 3 of those I wouldn't want in the squad. Which is quite startling when you consider how many players we actually have. And then would you trust Slade to sign good players next season given how appalling it's been this season? I know I wouldn't.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 8, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

We had the FA Cup run to the Wimbledon game to gives up hope for the following season then though, not much hope this season is there?
Posted by: golfer, January 8, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

1 too many--MINE.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 8, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner91

Was looking at the contracts earlier today. Currently players retained beyond June include Dixon, Osborne, Rose, Tombola, Kelly, Cardwell, Hooper, Jones and Dembele if we take up the option of extending his contract. Of those 9 it is highly likely that two are going this window and I would only want to be keeping Jones, Dembele, Rose and maybe Cardwell at a push although if he can't break into our match day squad when we're not scoring then is there really any hope for him? Dixon, Hooper and Kelly will be passengers and I bet Dixon and Kelly are on decent wages. Kelly can't even get in our squad at the minute, what an awful, awful signing he has been. If we could offload any or all of them that would be ideal.

Of the players who's contracts are up I'd want to retain Summerfield, McKeown, Clarke, Mills and possibly Karleigh Osborne depending on what wages he's on as I think he's adequate back up. I cant' decide whether I'd keep Davies as he's been a consistent performer this season but isn't getting any younger. I'd probably release Killip, Collins, Berrett, Clements, McAllister, Woolford, Vernon and Asante. Of the current loanees I'd look to keep Matt, I think it's doubtful Norwich would let us have DJ again after not playing that much. All this would leave us with a squad of up to about 13 and 3 of those I wouldn't want in the squad. Which is quite startling when you consider how many players we actually have. And then would you trust Slade to sign good players next season given how appalling it's been this season? I know I wouldn't.

If we re-sign any of those I will personally go down to the ground and kick old slaphead in the balderdash.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 8, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from mariner91

You would keep Matt?  :o
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2018, 5:46pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin

We had the FA Cup run to the Wimbledon game to gives up hope for the following season then though, not much hope this season is there?

Yes, but it's my crumb of comfort and i'm clinging onto it. Either that or just give up and stop going altogether.  
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You would keep Matt?  :o

Yes. I think with runners around him he'd be effective. He's a nuisance and a difficult player to defend against.
Posted by: rancido, January 8, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Because I'm guessing Slade is on a decent whack and it'll cost a packet. Because he's Fenty's mate. Because were 13 points of relegation and to be fair because the playing budget is distinctively average so I can't imagine we'd do an awful lot better under anyone else

Unless this streak goes on for a few months then we might end up doing "a Hartlepool" then he Fenty might panic. But otherwise were sentenced to this long ball misery for another 18 months at least I'm afraid.  

Sorry but I don't buy into this " average budget " argument. If that was the case then how could we afford the squad we have and why was Slade allowed to sign so many players.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 8, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Because I'm guessing Slade is on a decent whack and it'll cost a packet. Because he's Fenty's mate. Because were 13 points of relegation and to be fair because the playing budget is distinctively average so I can't imagine we'd do an awful lot better under anyone else.

The only evidence we have of the budget this season was from the horse's mouth, JF and RS standing side by side before the season started..

We were promised a fighting fund for a season aim of "definitely top seven".

Now either the budget was a top seven budget and RS is failing miserably, the budget wasn't a top seven budget and JF overestimated RS's abilities, the budget wasn't a top seven budget and RS oversold his abilities to JF or both parties were winging it and hoping for the best..

Whichever one it was, the fans have been massively shortchanged and quite conceivably been sold a pup..

I've seen talk about fans having to be realistic, it wasn't the fans that set this season's target..
Posted by: chaos33, January 8, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 16
Yes it's hard to disagree with that
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 17
Is it a fluffy, doe eyed pup? They always go down well.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, January 8, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 18
The way this club is run, it deserves no support at all.............  Sad to say, but so so true.  GTFC is so important to this Town and it is a crying shame it is been run down to nothing by people that just don't care about the club.  2,800 ish on Saturday and I would imagine a foul atmsophere as well, oh and don't forget the inevitable goal from Paddy.................

UTM
Posted by: hheh2, January 8, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 19
Slade out      
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 1:16am