Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: geir, January 6, 2018, 2:11pm
We desperately need a striker. And quickly.

Here are some being mentioned in the rumour mill:

Macauley Bonne (Leyton Orient)

Oladapo Afolayan (Solihull Moors)

Mason Bennett (Derby County).

Does anyone know anything? Are the ones mentioned any good?
Posted by: hheh2, January 6, 2018, 2:38pm; Reply: 1
I think Joe Pigott at Maidstone United is a decent young striker similar to Sam Jones from last season
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 6, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 2
Surely Mason Bennett is too close to Derbys starting 11 to be sent out on loan
Posted by: geir, January 6, 2018, 2:44pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Surely Mason Bennett is too close to Derbys starting 11 to be sent out on loan

According to the leader of the Norwegian Derby Supporters club, Bennett still needs to make his breakthrough even though he has been loaned out to a lot of clubs since his debut as a 15-year old.
Doesn`t look like he is ready for Derbys first team just yet.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 6, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 4
Nile ranger. Just released by Southend for disciplinary reasons
Posted by: OllieGTFC, January 6, 2018, 2:48pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Nile ranger. Just released by Southend for disciplinary reasons

We don’t want him then
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 6
I think Ranger deserves another chance. I mean, he's only had 607 of them so far.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 6, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 7
2-0 down at home to the 4th bottom team. Only injyry we have is to a keeper, 2 goals scored since start of December, I dont see anything being built. F00k off Slade, lets go for young manager from the conference again but this time give him a whole season.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 6, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 8
Fenty has to go . Admit you’re a failure and walk .
Posted by: denni266, January 6, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 9
No decent striker is going to want to come here, especially in the position we are in team wise,  we are dire at best. And if i was one of our better players i would want away
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 6, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 10
Good luck attracting any half decent striker .
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 6, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 11
Recon we could get Mickey Boulding or Reddy  to come out of retirement?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 6, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 12
Fu(k getting a striker.....we need a manager first!
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 6, 2018, 5:09pm; Reply: 13
Mr Blobby would be an improvement in most positions
Posted by: Mikoo, January 6, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from monkeyboy
Mr Blobby would be an improvement in most positions

We've already got him, he's the manager
Posted by: gtfcmd, January 6, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 15
striker is from championship club possibly signing/ announced on monday
Posted by: LH, January 6, 2018, 6:22pm; Reply: 16
One rumour is Charles Vernam from Derby. Scunny lad who Slade signed on loan for Coventry last season. Apparently at the game today.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 6, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from LH
One rumour is Charles Vernam from Derby. Scunny lad who Slade signed on loan for Coventry last season. Apparently at the game today.

That's him gone then!
Posted by: oldun, January 6, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 18
At the moment we do not look like an attractive option for any players unless they are out of work.
Posted by: tashee69, January 6, 2018, 6:30pm; Reply: 19
The way we're performing we couldn't attract a cheap tart from "Whorewell" Street
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 6, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 20
Charles Vernam 1 Career goal.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 6, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Whilst I agree he's not the proven goal scorer we should be splashing out on. I do remember Martin Paterson having one career goal before he joined us.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 6, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 22
a new striker isn't going to change the turmoil the clubs in ffs
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
a new striker isn't going to change the turmoil the clubs in ffs

Maybe not, but we still need about 15/18 points to be safe and the sooner we get them the better. Staring to feel a bit Hartlepool tonight.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 6, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

If it's him, doesn't look like he played a game for Coventry under slade. Hardly likely to tear up any trees at gtfc.
Posted by: Garth, January 6, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from oldun
At the moment we do not look like an attractive option for any players unless they are out of work.
are unwanted by other clubs

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from tashee69
The way we're performing we couldn't attract a cheap tart from "Whorewell" Street

Well we've had our fair share from Gropecunt Lane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 6, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Maybe not, but we still need about 15/18 points to be safe and the sooner we get them the better. Staring to feel a bit Hartlepool tonight.

There’s no way slade should be allowed to sign any more players .
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

There’s no way slade should be allowed to sign any more players .

No argument there.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 6, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 29
Funny ting is he's moaning about not having a striker but he has no faith in one he signed. If Hooper was worth a deal then surely he should be worth a run in the team similar to Matt of the "square peg" Jones?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Funny ting is he's moaning about not having a striker but he has no faith in one he signed. If Hooper was worth a deal then surely he should be worth a run in the team similar to Matt of the "square peg" Jones?

This is what baffles me. It just doesn't make sense for either him or Kelly to be deemed not good enough to start, even when we were down to the bare bones at Crewe. I thought they were supposed to be the big summer signings.

Bignot was sacked for less.
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 6, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 31
Where on earth is Asante ?
Posted by: H19P1, January 6, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 32
Surely next week will be very interesting?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from bradzmilne

Is it the capital of Kazakhstan?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 6, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

This is what baffles me. It just doesn't make sense for either him or Kelly to be deemed not good enough to start, even when we were down to the bare bones at Crewe. I thought they were supposed to be the big summer signings.

Bignot was sacked for less.

Hmmm....... I've been guilty of a bit of blind faith up until now but if the manager hasn't got faith in his own purchases it suggests he is paralyzed by fear. I just wonder if the players have got a sniff of this.

Also it feels like some half decent players are being discarded which will not go down well with the rest of the pros.
Posted by: Mariner16, January 6, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from bradzmilne

Not due back for another 10 days
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 36
Just to resurrect this thread and focus on something else.

Do we think the player Slade alluded to signing early next week will be a striker, and if so, what are we expecting?

Permanent signing or loan deal from a higher division? Think it will be a striker on loan myself.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 7, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Do we think the player Slade alluded to signing early next week will be a striker, and if so, what are we expecting?

Permanent signing or loan deal from a higher division? Think it will be a striker on loan myself.

I'd be happy with a young lad from a bigger club a U23?  who knew when to go into the box, we seem to get the ball in decent positions out wide and between the center circle and the opposition D but our strikers are never in the box when we need them to be.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 7, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'd be happy with a young lad from a bigger club a U23?  who knew when to go into the box, we seem to get the ball in decent positions out wide and between the center circle and the opposition D but our strikers are never in the box when we need them to be.

Our strikers are a bit like my sex life.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Gaffer58

Our strikers are a bit like my sex life.

male masturbation?
Posted by: geir, January 7, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

The rumour I have heard is a loan striker from Derby. The one I mentioned at the start of this thread. But who knows?

Posted by: Perkins, January 7, 2018, 7:03pm; Reply: 41
Spoke to a friend this afternoon who is a lifelong Derby fan, says Mason Bennett would be a really good loan for us,  (that's if it is him), said he hasn't seen or heard anything about it at their end. He's seen him play and says he's strong and fast, and only a glut of strikers at the club has stopped him getting in the first team squad.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 7, 2018, 7:21pm; Reply: 42
If Mason Bennett is strong and fast, then he won't meet our criteria for a forward.  
Posted by: StaffsMariner, January 7, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 43
I'm amazed we need a new striker when our current manager brought 3 in during the last transfer window. Cardwell sent out on loan as punishment for looking better than the others in a 10 minute cameo appearance. Asante sent out on loan to get fit looked like he had something about him but will Slade want him.
Currently Slades record for recruitment is shockingly bad as he doesn't seem to sign anyone that suits his tactics and seems incapable of adjusting tactics to get the best out of the players.
Last time he was here we won 2 lost 2 and drew 5 of the last 9 games to miss automatic promotion that at one point seemed guaranteed. 3rd and 4th choice strikers got 2 goals between them in 46 appearances.
I can only guess our next recruit will be close to 7 foot tall otherwise Slades tactics could see league crowds matching checkatrade trophy crowds.
I'd personally get rid and give one of our senior players (not something were short of now) a go, maybe take it in turns since it can't get much worse.

Posted by: OllieGTFC, January 7, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
If Mason Bennett is strong and fast, then he won't meet our criteria for a forward.  

Michael Reddy ?
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 7, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 45

Town reportedly looking at Cody Cooke

http://www.just-football.com/2018/01/cody-cooke-non-league-ace-grimsby-barnet-northampton/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Just-football+%28Just-Football%29
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 7, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think he’s in his mid 30s and is born and bred in Cornwall so this seems a bit unlikely to happen.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 47
...the 24 year old has risen to prominence in non league football...
Posted by: geir, January 7, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 48

I think he’s in his mid 30s and is born and bred in Cornwall so this seems a bit unlikely to happen.

No, only 24, but still a huge gamble. Been playing in lower league for a long time.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 49

Perhaps he can pick Osborne up on the way through?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 7, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Perhaps he can pick Osborne up on the way through?

:) :) :)
Posted by: Meza, January 7, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 51
So 11 in 24 makes him prolific 🤣

Would still like Assnte given a chance.  I hope he returns and proves a few wrong.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 7, 2018, 9:51pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Meza
So 11 in 24 makes him prolific 🤣

Would still like Assnte given a chance.  I hope he returns and proves a few wrong.

Get this in your head, he is NOT coming back
Posted by: Meza, January 7, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 53
I dont know if he's coming back Ive not read anywhere that he isn't and im sure Slade hasnt either.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 7, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Meza
I dont know if he's coming back Ive not read anywhere that he isn't and im sure Slade hasnt either.

Slade's probably forgot where he sent him to  ;)
Posted by: Meza, January 7, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 55
Probably Herts lol
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 7, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 56
Asante not even starting at Solihull
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 7, 2018, 11:36pm; Reply: 57
The lad at Truro is a central midfield player i believe. I think this is certainly one were location would go against us.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 8, 2018, 12:30am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Meza
Probably Herts lol

No Solihull Moors.  ;)
Posted by: golfer, January 8, 2018, 9:42am; Reply: 59
Have been told we had a look at Scott Wilson  Macclesfield--don't know the outcome!
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 8, 2018, 10:26am; Reply: 60
Whoever we sign I hope its a loan deal,

With Slade's record of signing non scoring strikers  :B

Then we will not be stuck with him next season
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:32am