Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 19, 2017, 2:18pm
Barnsley ? Fooking Barnsley ..... just shows investment is out there for UN fashionable clubs
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, December 19, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from fleabag1970
Barnsley ? Fooking Barnsley ..... just shows investment is out there for UN fashionable clubs

Championship side with 14k gates probably attracted them TBH and it looks like a group of venture capitalists so could go horribly wrong :)

Posted by: ginnywings, December 19, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from fleabag1970

Barnsley have been bought by the UN? Didn't think that was in their remit.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 19, 2017, 6:27pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Barnsley have been bought by the UN? Didn't think that was in their remit.

Intervention in destitute parts of the world is exactly their remit.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 19, 2017, 6:39pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MarinerWY

Intervention in destitute parts of the world is exactly their remit.

Fair point.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 19, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 5
Wonder what their stance on fan share ownership and participation in the board would be.
Posted by: golfer, December 19, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 6
Wonder if they have been bought with Benign Loans
Posted by: LH, December 19, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 7
My initial thought was similar to fleabag’s although if they are venture capitalists then no doubt we’ll see them in a couple of seasons time.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 19, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 8
I see one of the new owners is Billy Beane of Moneyball fame. It's an interesting film if you haven't seen it.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 19, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 9

Championship side with 14k gates probably attracted them TBH and it looks like a group of venture capitalists so could go horribly wrong :)

Could go horribly right lucky sods. Still if they'd come to us that 'shut up' Marley geezer would no doubt have turned them down under instruction from you know who

Posted by: Grimal, December 19, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Could go horribly right lucky sods. Still if they'd come to us that 'shut up' Marley geezer would no doubt have turned them down under instruction from you know who

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...,"

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 19, 2017, 10:55pm; Reply: 11

When I think  of Barnsley I always remember going to Oakwell in League Division Four in the 1978/79 season and losing 2-1 in front of a crowd of over 21,000.

We still got promoted though as Runners-Up on Goal difference...........happy days.

(sad old fart just reminiscing   :))
Posted by: Abdul19, December 20, 2017, 12:30am; Reply: 12
I think of that Tony Gallimore penalty.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 20, 2017, 6:48am; Reply: 13
I don't like to mention the fans forum again but Mr Marley gave the impression that although they had looked for a buyer non was forthcoming so they had stopped but, if you have your house for sale surely you leave it on the market as in theory a buyer will always come along eventually, unless of course you have a stupid value.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, December 20, 2017, 7:36am; Reply: 14
We are deluded to think we are a club at the same level as Barnsley.

Whatever we like to think, we aren't a club that is going to be high on anyone's list unless they are local and already have a passion for the club.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 20, 2017, 8:23am; Reply: 15
Quoted from LondonMariner43
We are deluded to think we are a club at the same level as Barnsley.

Whatever we like to think, we aren't a club that is going to be high on anyone's list unless they are local and already have a passion for the club.

You are very probably right but always an outside chance the kid of a Billionaire wanting a football team for a  Xmas Pressie somewhere sticks a pin into a sheet of A4 with the 72 football league clubs on and hits Grimsby.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, December 20, 2017, 11:10am; Reply: 16
Quoted from promotion plaice

When I think  of Barnsley I always remember going to Oakwell in League Division Four in the 1978/79 season and losing 2-1 in front of a crowd of over 21,000.

We still got promoted though as Runners-Up on Goal difference...........happy days.

what about Boxing Day 1979? Norman Hunter sent off. 3-0 win. Happy days!
Posted by: Kris2, December 20, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 17

But can you remember what you got for Christmas that year?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 20, 2017, 12:51pm; Reply: 18

That's one of my most vivid moments watching Town. Still remember Bobby Cumming getting to his feet and winking at us as Hunter was sent off.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 20, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

My best memory of Oakwell was the Mike Brolly free kick the next season ( Easter Saturday )
Posted by: ginnywings, December 20, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

My best memory of Oakwell was the Mike Brolly free kick the next season ( Easter Saturday )

Remember it well. My mate was home from serving in Northern Ireland and got attacked and bitten by a coppers Alsation and fell down the big hill at the back of the stand, landing in some barbed wire, cutting himself in many places. He spent 2 years in Northern Ireland without a scratch.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, December 20, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Kris2

But can you remember what you got for Christmas that year?

If I'm not getting my year's mixed up, I was in the standing area of the Findus for that game, fairly close to the half way line.

There was a guy in there wearing a fancy sheep skin coat (1970s fancy!) and I think he was a Barnsley fan.  He ended up getting a bit roughed up and his coat (which may have been a Xmas present) ended up a bit worse for wear!

Anyway in that part of the ground remember this?
Posted by: golfer, December 20, 2017, 6:30pm; Reply: 22
So it was you. That coat cost me 15 quid !
Posted by: rancido, December 20, 2017, 7:51pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Grimal
"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...,"

I know ! Another thread that starts out about a topic involving a Championship club and leads to another anti-board dig. FFS
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 20, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from rancido

I know ! Another thread that starts out about a topic involving a Championship club and leads to another anti-board dig. FFS

I hope your halo stays in place. There are a lot of people who don't like what's happened to Kristine and Matt Dean and that's just recent history. Expecting the disaffected to go away is not going to happen.
Posted by: rancido, December 22, 2017, 1:17pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I hope your halo stays in place. There are a lot of people who don't like what's happened to Kristine and Matt Dean and that's just recent history. Expecting the disaffected to go away is not going to happen.

It's got nothing to do with halos or expecting the disaffected to go away. It's more to do with every thread being hijacked by anti JF posts. There are a lot of things that JF has done wrong in his time at GTFC but I don't use every thread to highlight these. If, trying to maintain a fair, balanced and unbiased view of these situations means that I have some imaginary halo then so be it. Maybe I should follow the " party line " that some posters seem to want to impose but then again that isn't my nature. I've never been " one of the herd " and never will be.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:48am