Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 16, 2017, 6:05pm
Well earned point by a well organised Town side and a good marker to how we are progressing.

Would love to talk more about the side but feeling very flat as towards the end the lads behind us who wanted to wind up my lad to the point of an incident, one of them the same te@t who was fighting at half time at Chesterfield. A couple of them well known “faces” who do the same most weeks.

Have a ticket for next week but after that experience with our own “support” doubt I’ll go away for a bit

Anyway we’ll done to the lads.

UTM!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, December 16, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 1
Despite the referee's worst efforts that was a decent game of football and as Herts says, a good way to gauge what our potential is this season.

Started both halves the brighter team - first half particularly - without really creating too many clear cut opportunities.

Defence looked solid and apart from one free header for Ameobi in the second half we marshalled them pretty well.

A bit better quality/decision making in the final third and we'll have a pretty decent shout of the play off's.

Off topic but am thinking of starting a crowdfunder for some medical research into why footballers seem to fall over at the least physical contact and additionally why officials will give a free kick for that sort of balderdash instead of just laughing and waving play on.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 16, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt
Despite the referee's worst efforts that was a decent game of football and as Herts says, a good way to gauge what our potential is this season.

Started both halves the brighter team - first half particularly - without really creating too many clear cut opportunities.

Defence looked solid and apart from one free header for Ameobi in the second half we marshalled them pretty well.

A bit better quality/decision making in the final third and we'll have a pretty decent shout of the play off's.

Off topic but am thinking of starting a crowdfunder for some medical research into why footballers seem to fall over at the least physical contact and additionally why officials will give a free kick for that sort of balderdash instead of just laughing and waving play on.

As officials we’ve had a clear directive to avoid the “get up you puff” line.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 16, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 3
Five of our scrotes thought I was Notts and went for me.
Five eighteen or twenty year olds onto a single fifty eight year old.
Well done girl privates.
They still backed off when given it back.
Cocks.
A van of OB passed and tried not to notice as well.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 16, 2017, 7:55pm; Reply: 4
Not a great game but a decent result. Thought we were the better side, we just lack a cutting edge. If they are top 3 standard, we are not far away. Feel we might need to add 1 or 2 real quality signings though. Great effort from the team.
Posted by: barralad, December 16, 2017, 8:13pm; Reply: 5
Very entertaining 0-0 draw with Town probably just on top overall. Expected better from County who seemed content to launch long balls to Amoebi who was handled very well by Clark and Collins. Only real chance was from Summerfield's deflected effort in the first half although I'm not sure how their keeper ended up with the ball in his hands in a goalmouth melee in the first period.
Bit of a heart in mouth moment when Macca careered out of his goal to bring down their lad who was going away from goal.
Man of the Match....by an absolute country mile Summerfield. Energy, commitment, decent dead ball delivery and some crisp passing. Superb!!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 16, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 6
I’d agree with Barra on Summerfield the way he reads the game and pops up to disrupt opposition attacks or sweep up threatening situations is really impressive and has possibly contributed to a better defensive effort lately.

Not sure if he’s our best player at the moment but he’s certainly the fittest, never stops running.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 16, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 7
My mom was clarke who was immense and won everything at the back. Thought we didnt get our wingers into the game enough today but its a very good point nonetheless, i thought county were bang average and the ref was conned by them time after time
Posted by: LH, December 16, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 8
After a few too many 0-0s this season I never thought I’d be as chuffed tonight as I am but I’d have snapped your hands off for a point today. A good result and felt we were the better team.

Not massively impressed by County and really pleased with our defensive performance that restricted them to 0 shots on target. They did keep us fairly quiet though I’ll give them that.

I think Matt will be kicking himself after pulling out of the aerial challenge with the keeper - and so will the staff and players I should think! Summerfield was ace. Again.

Good away following and noise. Quite happy tonight and strongly considering a jaunt darn sarf next week now.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 16, 2017, 8:37pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH
After a few too many 0-0s this season I never thought I’d be as chuffed tonight as I am but I’d have snapped your hands off for a point today. A good result and felt we were the better team.

Not massively impressed by County and really pleased with our defensive performance that restricted them to 0 shots on target. They did keep us fairly quiet though I’ll give them that.

I think Matt will be kicking himself after pulling out of the aerial challenge with the keeper - and so will the staff and players I should think! Summerfield was ace. Again.

Good away following and noise. Quite happy tonight and strongly considering a jaunt darn sarf next week now.

How many Town there today?
Posted by: LH, December 16, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 10
1500 I think.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, December 16, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 11
Agree with most of the comments...Collins and Clarke were immense and hardly gave them a sniff. And Summerfield is turning out to be our player of the season - energy, commitment, neat passing, and reads the game so skilfully.

Agree we lacked a cutting edge today but it was a well deserved point away to one of the so-called better teams in the fourth division.
Posted by: Croxton, December 16, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 12
Summers and Clarke joint mom. Jones talked his way to another yellow. Got to be cuter than that. Try winding the opposition up instead and then we may get more free kicks FOR us . Yes the ref was useless but we never seem to have as many free kicks whoever the ref is.
Some of our 'fans ' are such morons. Even before the match started an inebriated youth behind me decided to play the drums on my cap. Lads, this time I moved to another row to enjoy the game. Next time I'll not 'keep my kneb out'. Stewards looked keen for some action so don't draw attention to yourselves.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 16, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH
1500 I think.

Ta. Not bad. Given the time of year.
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 16, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 14
A good game were both teams were both defensively strong. You can see why county go direct to ameobi, he's like a magnet. We defended against him really well though, and when he did win a header, our defended was positioned well to deal with it. We definitely need some signings with more cutting edge in January, but for now we're doing well.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 16, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 15
I was impressed by us today

We stood strong in defence when we needed to and made several chances up front, especially in the first half

I was fearing the worst before we kicked off knowing how unpredictable we have been at times this season

All in all though today I thought we rose to the challenge and if we carry on in the same vein I think we might have a pretty successful second half of the season, especially if we manage to attract a bit of quality in next month’s window

Onwards and upwards Town!

UTM GTID
Posted by: moosey_club, December 16, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 16
before the game i would have taken point...after the game i am not so sure....not very impressed with County at all, very one dimensional, seemed to be content to rely on falling over in advanced wide positions to win free kicks and then chucking free kicks into the box.
That could have been as a result of our solidity, Mills and Davies snuffed out their widemen and with Summerfield and Rose busy disrupting their midfield, Collins and Clarke where then left to deal with a physical contest which they are more than a match for.

Felt slightly disappointed that we couldnt have forced the game a bot more and maybe took all three...but Siriki was well marshalled and i thought Jones seemed a little off it again so left us a bit light going forward. When you looked at the bench there wasnt a great deal of hope there that someone could come on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

On paper a decent point so have to be happy really.

January is going to be vital for us....we need some additional pace up front in January to stimulate that attack...while the squad we have has numbers,  beyond the current first 11 there really isnt the quality there to make a huge impact.  Clear out those who you are never going to play Slade and get us a fast striker and maybe a powerful centre mid. Off loading 5/6 of the players you arent interested in using should give some wriggle room for a couple of quality players in.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 16, 2017, 10:43pm; Reply: 17
Fit and firing Osbourne to come back will be like a new signing.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 16, 2017, 10:50pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
Fit and firing Osbourne to come back will be like a new signing.

Jamey & Tombola back add another full back who can play on both sides and all being well a fox in the box and we could be in business
Posted by: Maringer, December 16, 2017, 11:23pm; Reply: 19
I mentioned to the lad standing next to me today that I'd have had Bolarinwa on for the last 20 minutes in an instant, if he'd been available. With Matt, Jones, Jaiyesimi and Dembele all knackered long before the end, he would certainly have given them a lot more to think about.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 16, 2017, 11:31pm; Reply: 20
Good 0-0 against a team that is supposedly playing well, even though I thought they didn't really look much better then a lot of teams we've played this season. Their hoof ball was ineffective against Clarke and Collins, they fell over at the slightest of touches which the Ref lapt up. First half nice passing football and pressed, Matt should of finished one of his 5 or 6 chances  but was always that inch off getting it. second half, we continued to deal with their hoof ball but we seemed to resort to it our selves which was disappointing and it just became a game of tennis which had 0-0 written all over it by that point.

Ref was shocking, blew his whistle every time Notts fell over and was clearly showing some bias to the Home team, I was shocked by the end of the match there hadn't been more yellow cards just because of the sheer number of "fouls" committed.
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 16, 2017, 11:34pm; Reply: 21
To be fair, he was shite all round. The foul count for both teams could easily have been halved.
Posted by: Grimal, December 17, 2017, 12:17am; Reply: 22
Quoted from LH
1500 I think.

For the taxmans benefit but I would say a lot more than 1500 Town Fans.

Posted by: Davec, December 17, 2017, 7:52am; Reply: 23
If you offered me a point before the game I would have bit your hand off, we defended stoutly against an organised outfit, Ameobi coursed Clarke some problems with his strength but otherwise he Marshalled him well and Collins kept Stead very quiet, Davies and Mills defended well when needed albeit the latter's distribution was poor. Rose got through some hard work in the midfield as did Summerfield, Dembele and DJ were snuffed out well by their defence and the damage they could do was minimal. Matt should probably have scored, especially with his diving header 2nd half but I belive it was offside anyway. What is clear with Matt is that he's a big lad but he's not comfortable at winning the ball in the air and he's not as strong physically as he could be. Jones again had a poor game.

On the bench was nobody who could really change the game. Woolford did one sharp turn which got him away from the defenders but his lack of pace was severely highlighted when they easily caught him. Vernon won some headers and Hooper demonstrated his lethargy when Jones went on the counter and Hooper jogged forward in support and when the ball came in the box Hooper was a good few yards away from it. I was extremely disappointed that Hooper didn't bust a gut to get on the end of it.

We need some reinforcements up front for sure as we do lacks quality there, need somebody who can read the game and anticipate things and score goals as looking at our forwards now, neither of them can particularly read the game well.

But overall a very good point for us.
Posted by: lukeo, December 17, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 24
Pleased with a point. Kept an eye on sky sports and aww we where on top and kept them away from our goal with 0 shots on goal. I don't mind a 0 0 especially when town have given it a good go and especially away from home from a club at the top of the league. Well done Slade and the boys. UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 17, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Croxton
Summers and Clarke joint mom. Jones talked his way to another yellow. Got to be cuter than that. Try winding the opposition up instead and then we may get more free kicks FOR us . Yes the ref was useless but we never seem to have as many free kicks whoever the ref is.
Some of our 'fans ' are such morons. Even before the match started an inebriated youth behind me decided to play the drums on my cap. Lads, this time I moved to another row to enjoy the game. Next time I'll not 'keep my kneb out'. Stewards looked keen for some action so don't draw attention to yourselves.

Interesting re your comment about our fans, they say every club has an element which I’m sure is true but some people who follow our team take great delight in winding our own up when they can’t get at the opposing support.

We had an issue just before the end of the game with a load of the usual “casuals” trouble causers which left a very sour taste in the mouth one that has me nervous about going to Luton on Saturday on my own just in case I come across them again.
Posted by: buckstown, December 17, 2017, 9:07am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Maringer
I mentioned to the lad standing next to me today that I'd have had Bolarinwa on for the last 20 minutes in an instant, if he'd been available. With Matt, Jones, Jaiyesimi and Dembele all knackered long before the end, he would certainly have given them a lot more to think about.

I thought last week against FGR. Matt and Jones were out on their feet by 70 minutes but the bench options were mediocre at best. Tombolo would at least bring pace and he would try his best
Posted by: Croxton, December 17, 2017, 9:29am; Reply: 27
Herts. Never been to Luton so unable to comment but that incident would not put me off. I still go where and when I want despite being dumped on the pavement twice on Grimsby Road earlier this season. This time I did not confront the gobshites. Feels bad to just walk away or move seats but better a bruised ego than the real bruises I had.
Crucially, Notts' capacity meant that even our 1500 plus fans had spare room. A couple with an 8 year old girl also moved away from this unpleasant group. If it was a sell out I would ask a steward for access to the family stand and show my bus pass!
At my age, the queue for the gents was the most uncomfortable moment.  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 17, 2017, 9:52am; Reply: 28
Lets face it theyre not really fans, just the typical ignorant knuckledragging p1s$heads you see around Town Centres on a Sat night causing trouble and fighting, then crying and peeing their pants when the OB stick their faces into the pavement and stick the cuffs on behind their back "not so tight it huuurrttts :o."
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 17, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 29
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Interesting re your comment about our fans, they say every club has an element which I’m sure is true but some people who follow our team take great delight in winding our own up when they can’t get at the opposing support.

We had an issue just before the end of the game with a load of the usual “casuals” trouble causers which left a very sour taste in the mouth one that has me nervous about going to Luton on Saturday on my own just in case I come across them again.

Sad state of affairs when our own fans are putting people off going.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 17, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 30
Felt that yesterday the stewarding was pretty poor which didnt help....certain sections were overflowing and others half empty but the stewards werent directing supporters, just continued letting them into the already overflowing sections.

If only we had an SLO for away games.... :-/

Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:41pm