Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2017, 8:41pm
I know this has done the rounds but can someone please tell me how Batshuayi, 24 years old Belgian international can play in this comp having been on the pitch in last night's Champions League game?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 6, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 1
Surely then its yet another success for this highly innovative much loved competetion if a player has progressed to the champions league as a result of it ?

Huzzah Mr Harvey !!!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 2
Well it shows what a good job the new format is doing for the development of young players.

The fact that he's Belgian is just a near miss.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 6, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 3
Mr Harvey has elevated the FL Trophy to such a height that last night's CL game was a bit of an inconvenience for young (ish) Michy.
Posted by: Meza, December 6, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 4
Taken from the BBC Football

Leicester City fielded an Under-21 side with six over-age players, three internationals and transfer fees worth around £45m in their 2-1 Checkatrade Trophy second-round win at Scunthorpe.

Nigeria's Kelechi Iheanacho started up front alongside Leonardo Ulloa as City edged past the League One side.

Two youngsters - George Thomas and Sam Hughes - put City into an early lead.

Kevin van Veen pulled one back for the Iron just before the break, although just 824 fans were there to see it.

As well as 31-year-old Ulloa and 21-year-old Iheanacho, goalkeeper Ben Hamer (30), Ghanaian international Daniel Amartey (22), Austria's Aleksandar Dragovic (26) and former France Under-21 player Yohan Benalouane (30) also featured as Leicester made the last 16.

But the other two Premier League academy sides bowed out as the tournament continued to suffer poor crowds.

West Ham's youngsters went down 4-0 at Luton Town in front of just 1,670 fans, while Swansea City's academy side were beaten 3-2 by League One's Charlton Athletic at a sparsely populated Liberty Stadium - the Swans did not release an attendance figure.

Lincoln City had the biggest attendance of the night with 3,026 as they beat Accrington 3-2, while League Two sides Yeovil Town and Forest Green Rovers both had wins over League One opposition.

The combined attendance of the nine games where clubs did reveal a figure was 11,323 - an average of just 1,258 per game.
Posted by: Grimal, December 6, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 5
I noticed FGR player Bennet was sent off in last nights Check Trophy against Swindon,does that  mean he will miss league games ?.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, December 6, 2017, 11:01pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Grimal
I noticed FGR player Bennet was sent off in last nights Check Trophy against Swindon,does that  mean he will miss league games ?.

From the EFL website.

"Any EFL or Premier League player who is serving a ban or is set to serve a suspension for a yellow or red card offence will be eligible to play in this week’s opening group games in the Checkatrade Trophy.

New disciplinary rules for the revamped cup competition mean that cautions and sending-offs are exclusive to the tournament and in normal circumstances won’t affect other EFL or Premier League fixtures."

Was taken from an post in August 2016 mind..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2017, 11:08pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Meza

Lincoln City had the biggest attendance of the night with 3,026 as they beat Accrington 3-2, while League Two sides Yeovil Town and Forest Green Rovers both had wins over League One opposition.

The combined attendance of the nine games where clubs did reveal a figure was 11,323 - an average of just 1,258 per game.

That's shockingly high. The average is propped up by the Gimps. They clearly don't know how to bully people down there.

Probably more at Lincoln than they got the year before last for a lot of league games.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 6, 2017, 11:28pm; Reply: 8
These new plastic fans at Lincoln don't know what it's all about with it being their 1st season of following the gimps. Bless em they'll see the error of their ways as soon as Lincoln revert back to being excrement, they'll be looking over their humps as Harvey uses them as to why Premier B teams are a good idea for the league after the success at checkatrade cup competition.

Fenty stating only 8 clubs need to vote it down, well it wasn't voted down when they flashed the cash, old Marley went weak at the knees, "it's a great idea John the fans will love it", he future allegedly says.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2017, 11:43pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93

Fenty stating only 8 clubs need to vote it down, well it wasn't voted down when they flashed the cash, old Marley went weak at the knees, "it's a great idea John the fans will love it", he future allegedly says.

He was talking about only 8 needed to vote down any proposal to change the League to allow B teams. Though I would prefer to see that confirmed in the League constitution first, and would like to see us being one of the 8.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 6, 2017, 11:46pm; Reply: 10
Bennett is banned for 3 matches and misses the Town game. A big loss for them.
Posted by: sonik, December 7, 2017, 12:13am; Reply: 11
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Bennett is banned for 3 matches and misses the Town game. A big loss for them.

Not sure its a 3 game ban as it was a second yellow for his sending off? At least 1 match then and against us if the competition rules have been changed.

UTM!
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 7, 2017, 5:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He was talking about only 8 needed to vote down any proposal to change the League to allow B teams. Though I would prefer to see that confirmed in the League constitution first, and would like to see us being one of the 8.

It doesn't matter how many are needed to vote it down, the majority of boardrooms are now driven by cash, the soul of the game being sold out decades ago, people like Marley will sell it to the chairman / owners and they'll just see ££ signs, the game dies as they all but one or two vote for it, it won't be enough, money men win.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 7, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I know this has done the rounds but can someone please tell me how Batshuayi, 24 years old Belgian international can play in this comp having been on the pitch in last night's Champions League game?

I've not been too upset about this topic as I would have never gone to a game unless we drew someone close to (my) home or got to the final which I knew wouldn't happen. On top of this I always knew that JF would vote for it as there is a cash incentive and generating income is the boards job in reality,

BUT (time to let Pete back on now I reckon)

The bit in bold is a total fukin p1ss take, feels like it's just an exercise to keep fringe prem players fit.
Posted by: LeeVanCleef, December 7, 2017, 10:01pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's a slippery slope to what we all know to be the inevitable.

Consider this.. There is no way the first season of the competition in this format was a success, so why did the majority of the bigger Prem teams want to become involved when the EFL couldn't sell it to them originally.

Leicester putting out a squad for the game against Scunny with over £45M of value in it, was that just a run out or was it because they wanted to get through to the next round? How do the big teams even view the competition? Are they already thinking about trying to win it? Could we see Vardy and the like's playing for them so they actually can win the later rounds? How long before ALL the Prem teams want to win it and start fielding strong teams with their bench warmers starting in the later rounds? How utterly ridiculous would that be?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 7, 2017, 11:17pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I've not been too upset about this topic as I would have never gone to a game unless we drew someone close to (my) home or got to the final which I knew wouldn't happen. On top of this I always knew that JF would vote for it as there is a cash incentive and generating income is the boards job in reality,

BUT (time to let Pete back on now I reckon)

The bit in bold is a total fukin p1ss take, feels like it's just an exercise to keep fringe prem players fit.

Their job in respect of finances is to try to ensure we are competitive. If everyone gets £30k for entering then everyone is back to square one.
Posted by: Sigone, December 8, 2017, 12:29am; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If everyone gets £30k for entering then everyone is back to square one.

I totally get your point, but 30K although equal means different things to different clubs, e.g (on a sliding scale) Sheff Utd, Grimsby, Accrington.  I would guess 3 totally differing budgets where 30k for Sheff Utd means a new paint job in the board room, 30K for Grimsby means portaloo's in the main stand. 30K for accrington means a couple of youth players from premier league clubs.  It's how its used.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2017, 12:41am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Sigone

I totally get your point, but 30K although equal means different things to different clubs, e.g (on a sliding scale) Sheff Utd, Grimsby, Accrington.  I would guess 3 totally differing budgets where 30k for Sheff Utd means a new paint job in the board room, 30K for Grimsby means portaloo's in the main stand. 30K for accrington means a couple of youth players from premier league clubs.  It's how its used.

That is a fair point.

So the concerns raised about the bogs last Tuesday can be addressed!
Posted by: toontown, December 8, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Sigone

Its not though - the board admitted themselves that Grimsby fans have refused to come to the games - the £30,000 we made from the comp is almost certainly amongst the lowest of any club in League 2. We had our lowest ever attendance for a 1st team match. So actually they have effectively voted for other clubs in league 2 to have a slight financial advantage over us compared to what they would otherwise have been. They seem utterly unable to understand this.

In the eyes of Marley any money is an advantage - but it isnt if the other 23 teams make at least as much or more, it's a disadvantage to the club.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 4:01am