Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, December 5, 2017, 10:36am
The transfer windowis is just 4 weeks away. The chances are we will be a few points off the play-offs when it starts, possibly even in a play off spot who knows! But who should we sign? The last two games have seen hopefully the basis of the team that should play the rest of the season, Osborne J could play a big part as well potentially. A striker is an obvious position where we are lacking. The back 4 have been solid, but do we have the strength in depth? What about the players currently on loan, should they be released or taken on? I think we could do a lot worse than just "re-sign" them. I'd like to see Asante and Clements both given a chance personally in this year's squad. Bolarinwa is a good impact substitute and may complement our two wide players. I'd at most get one striker, one defender, have another look at the loan players when they come back (if they do) and offload anyone who's not going to play a part for the rest of the season.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 5, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 1
Osborne and asante back hopefully will boost us and maybe a very good signing to improve us.
Posted by: golfer, December 5, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 2
I think your post sums up what most people will be thinking Rob.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 5, 2017, 11:05am; Reply: 3
As little change as possible for me, we've had far to much of a merry go round approach for the last 18 months, work with the existing group and maybe offload a couple of the fringe players.

Get the three other young lads out on loan to, hopefully a Conference side would take Clifton for 3 months?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 5, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
The transfer windowis is just 4 weeks away. The chances are we will be a few points off the play-offs when it starts, possibly even in a play off spot who knows! But who should we sign? The last two games have seen hopefully the basis of the team that should play the rest of the season, Osborne J could play a big part as well potentially. A striker is an obvious position where we are lacking. The back 4 have been solid, but do we have the strength in depth? What about the players currently on loan, should they be released or taken on? I think we could do a lot worse than just "re-sign" them. I'd like to see Asante and Clements both given a chance personally in this year's squad. Bolarinwa is a good impact substitute and may complement our two wide players. I'd at most get one striker, one defender, have another look at the loan players when they come back (if they do) and offload anyone who's not going to play a part for the rest of the season.

To me it is vital that the board sanction a key, marquee esque signing. One that Slade would give his right arm for. Somebody who would excite the fans and give us fresh impetus.

We have enough bodies, and it is unlikely we will offload many of them, so just the one major signing is what I would like.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2017, 11:21am; Reply: 5
I have a feeling he will offload a few and bring in 3 or 4 players, hopefully ones that will significantly improve us. Just a hunch, i have no info.

We are an ok side but i don't think we are quite good enough yet to challenge the top end.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 5, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 6
Honestly think we will struggle to move any of the mainstand seat warmers on, at best they will only be interest from conference clubs, can't see any division 2 clubs wanting anybody that in theory cannot make our starting squad. Hence very little room in money/ numbers to bring anybody in. Also anybody available in January will not be in a current team so not match fit etc.
Posted by: Garth, December 5, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 7
Left back and a goalscorer please
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 5, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 8
Let Bolly go, he isn't good enough if we have ambitions of the play-offs.

Cardwell & Vernon can move on, As again, not benefitting us in any way.

Asante has played 9 games for Solihull and scored 0, why do people think he will make us any better?

We need another Full back, as we know dixon is not good enough, and Davies is 36? and will need resting, and the only other option is Mills.

The only striker good enough is Jones, and Matt has shown in his past 2 games he could play a part for us still, the rest of the strikers are not great...

So IMO, we need a full back and a goalscorer
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 5, 2017, 11:36am; Reply: 9
I have a funny feeling that Asante maybe included in future "players biggest letdown" threads.

Hope he comes back and proves me wrong though.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 5, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 10

I see a host of clubs are monitoring Grantham Town striker Lee Shaw.

Just saying.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 5, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just saying.

Has he got a brother called Rick?  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 12
Cardwell can move on? He was never signed as a first choice striker; he's only 20.
Posted by: mariner91, December 5, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 13
We definitely need a left back IMO. That isn't a slight against Davies or Mills as I think both are more than capable but if either of them are injured we then have to play Dixon plus have no cover for either full back.
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 5, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 14
It seems to have slipped under the radar, and I forgot all about it due to the Matt Dean saga and the Steven Marley debacle. At the forum, I asked John if there was budget for a transfer in Jan and then Russ what positions he would be looking to bring in.  For once John never actually stated that there are funds available (although he didn't say that there aren't)  and Russ actually spoke mostly about it being a squad game nowadays.  Not knocked back as such, but I got the opinion that there wouldn't be much movement. If the injuries clear up and Matt can come good, I don't think it's the end of the world.  I have to say I'm disappointed with Asante's progress but let's wait and see.  I guess if we could bring in a couple of players that are as good as or better than what we have, I would like to see a left back and a striker.  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 5, 2017, 12:00pm; Reply: 15
Definitely need a left back to replace Dixon who has struggled badly, it's like watching a car crash every time he plays. I feel for him, he's played at a good level and is only 31 so I don't know why he looks so out of his depth.

As others have said, we need a striker. Matt has improved of late, perhaps we only need another forward to play alongside him. Hooper isn't the answer, Vernon is 33 and looks it, I don't see him as a target man either despite others praising his link up / hold up play.

The problem is our squad is huge, I don't think too many could argue that we need to ship some out before we bring anyone else in. Cardwell isn't getting a sniff, if we could loan him out to get kicked around a bit, he'd benefit from that. I'd try and ship Hooper out, I doubt anyone would contribute to Mcallister's wages given his injury record, we could improve on invisible Berrett, and wildly inconsistent Rose - how about giving Harry Clifton a go? And hopefully we'll have Jamey Osbourne back and fit. Karleigh Osbourne would have to stay as backup, Sam Kelly has stole a living so far.

Definitely a lot of pack shuffling required, but I would want to see a net decrease in the number of bodies in the building.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 5, 2017, 12:09pm; Reply: 16
Solihull are bottom of the Conference but Asante is not even getting a start.

I think January trading will depend on who we can ship out first but I would like us to sign a left back and another tricky winger for cover unless Bolarinwa is coming back. I think we need to be trying our best to bring players like Cardwell into the picture as players like him have potential to become a saleable asset.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 5, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 17
Unless it`s just fitness Asante looks vastly over rated given his game time at Solihull so far and clearly isn`t the answer to our problems.I would like to see a loan keeper/LB and striker come in but doubt we have the funds? In addition lets get rid of 4-5 and free up some funds even if it means paying them off Mcallister,Hooper,Dixon,Cardwell,,Kelly,Asante,Clements can all go for what they contribute and in addition I would like to see Berrett and Vernon replaced within the squad. I would sooner have 3 quality players come in to replace those 9 and cut the squad down we only have league games to concentrate on so the squad`s not so important.
Posted by: Maringer, December 5, 2017, 12:51pm; Reply: 18
Bolarinwa is apparently playing well for Sutton who are now topping the Conference table - he's scored twice and they've won 4 out of 5 games since he joined them. I still think he has something to offer but it remains to be seen whether or not Slade agrees.

I'd imagine Dixon would do a lot better with somebody like Jaiyesimi playing in front of him as opposed to the much slower Woolford. Whether or not this would be good enough, I don't know. I think the general lack of pace in defence and midfield means that we're going to struggle to push for the play-offs even if we continue to play as we have in the past couple of games. The defenders are all decent players with a vast amount of experience, of course, but they are getting on a bit and lack anything in the way of speed. It stands to reason that the better teams with nippy wingers/forwards are going to cause us problems because of this.

If Slade does sign anybody, I'd be surprised if it was another defender. I'm not expecting many comings and goings in the transfer window, however.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 19
Add a striker and a FB who can play LB & RB. Get Bolarinwa and Osborne back the rest can stay out on loan or leave. Kelly & McAlsiter to also go the latter with regret.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 5, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 20
I'd like Bolarinwa to come back as I think he's a better option than Woolford or Kelly. However, we've got too many players and I doubt anyone wants either of those 2, so we're probably stuck with them. I'd like to see Clifton go out on loan too, which I'm surprised hasn't happened already.
Posted by: monkeyboy, December 5, 2017, 2:44pm; Reply: 21
How long is Max Wright on loan for? been doing well by all accounts
Posted by: Abdul19, December 5, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 22
For the season, but we might be able to recall him during the window (not sure if this bit was reported or not?)

I can only seeing him being recalled though if Slade wants to loan him somewhere higher up the ladder.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 23
Of the players out on loan, only Osborne is realistically going to replace anyone in the current starting line-up. We clearly need a left back in the longer term, however well Ben Davies is doing, and we need a goalscorer (doesn't everyone!). I guess what RS gets to spend depends on what he's able to get rid of off the wage bill.
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 5, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 24
Can see mcallister and clifton going out on loan and clwments still not getting a look in so expect to see another centre midfielder even with the return of jamie osbourne. Add to this we will find a new left back even 1 or 2 strikers especially if we send cardwell out for game time.

To sum up there could be as many as 4 new players with probably as many again going out. Might be an exciting window!!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 5, 2017, 6:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just saying.

I understand they want 20k for him, but will take 10k.

Posted by: wiggers, December 5, 2017, 6:45pm; Reply: 26
A decent LB please Santa
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, December 5, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GrimRob

Patrice Evra is available end of season - he could also double up a as hit man until then to make some of the Fishy dissenters' disappear..... (very tongue in cheek before I get into trouble) :)
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 28
I don't think Dixon is as bad as people are saying. He's had some dodgy games, but he's had some good ones as well. The left back we have had training with us for ages came on as a sub in that behind closed doors game with Morecambe last week. He's been hanging around for ages, so can't be totally out of the picture.
Posted by: sydney, December 5, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 29
Amond
Posted by: Meza, December 5, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 30
Cant see us paying a fee for a player probably nowt left in the bank.  And i do hope J ozzy stays.
Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 31
We need to offload half a dozen or more average players and bring in 2 or 3 of genuine quality if we want to get into contention for the play offs.
Definitely need a left back and a striker who can score. Osborne to return ASAP.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think Dixon is as bad as people are saying. He's had some dodgy games, but he's had some good ones as well. The left back we have had training with us for ages came on as a sub in that behind closed doors game with Morecambe last week. He's been hanging around for ages, so can't be totally out of the picture.

Has he? I think there's a problem when a right footed 36 year old is a better option than he is.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2017, 10:05pm; Reply: 33
I agree with Chaos but what would make “genuine quality” come to us? Loans from bigger clubs?

Unlikely anyone from above us in the pyramid who was decent and has been playing week in week out would drop down for a permanent move

Maybe we look at the best of The National League and kids from U23 sides
Posted by: moosey_club, December 5, 2017, 11:31pm; Reply: 34
Regards being a squad game we have so far relied largely on the following core;

Mckeown, Davies, Mills, Dixon , Clark, Collins, Rose ,Summerfield, Berrett, Woolford, Dembele, DJ, Vernon, Matt, Jones & Hooper  = 16

not alot really considering we are 22 first team games in ( not counting checkatwat trophy ), have had a few injuries and a good deal of suspensions. On that basis do we actually need another 14 players for cover ??

So outside of that if you consider that we have what.....4/5 players out on loan most who arguably seem destined not to return.... 3 or 4 who regularly/ sporadically make the bench but arent used in anger and there are a couple more who are hardly seen anywhere near the matchday squad then i wouldnt be suprised if we dont see 5/6  being off loaded completely either with the clubs they are currently at ,extending loans with a view to a deal and potentially Clifton, Cardwell  also being added to the loaned out list or McAllister on the paid up list.

Left back in without a doubt..has to surely
A rapid direct striker is still something we dont have
A rangey centre mid would also be nice

Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 6, 2017, 9:09am; Reply: 35
money,money, money it`s a problem for all clubs at all levels.In Town`s case you probably need to take the odd gamble ala Omar but in the main get in seasoned pro`s or young lads with a point to prove. I like the idea of the lad from Grantham as a gamble but we need another Connor Townsend at LB and a Martin Paterson type young un up front plus to me a commanding Goalkeeper who can distribute the ball better than Macca.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, December 7, 2017, 1:41am; Reply: 36
There's plenty of good players in the lower leagues if you's are willing to take a gamble.

Jason Oswell, top scorer in Conference North for Stockport County with 16 goals in 20 games.
Joe Leesley a midfielder for Harrogate Town in brilliant & way too good for this level; wouldn't be surprised if he went to a League 2 team in the coming month(s).

Even ex Town player Ashley Chambers is on fire this season; would love to see a player of his calibre at Darlo.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, December 7, 2017, 7:41am; Reply: 37
The loan returnees and also a defender for cover. Scary how light we are in defensive depth. Any other signings after that we'd have to sell first.
Posted by: lukeo, December 8, 2017, 7:20am; Reply: 38
I think we only need one or two in, defensive cover and a goal scoring striker from non league somewhere. OSBORNE will be like a new signing to. I think we have a half decent squad if we play the right kind of football. We have a decent defence, our wingers are fast and move the ball quickly. With Osborne we have 3 decent midfielders for league 2 and uptop I've always liked Jones and I think Matt has improved lately. If we could fish the non league and give someone and slowly bring them in through the next couple of months, if they hit the ground running stick him in there.
Posted by: Maringer, December 8, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 39
Why would you play Osborne in midfield? Surely better to keep him as defensive cover?

Now, Jamie Osbourne, on the other hand...  :P
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:33am