Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /    /  
Posted by: chrissy, December 3, 2017, 2:00pm
Grimsby pete has informed me he has been barred from the fishy,

Could grim rob explain why because since coming back he had done nothing wrong .
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 3, 2017, 2:04pm; Reply: 1
Maybe there might be some more site bandwidth available for others to have an opinion now.
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 3, 2017, 2:16pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Maybe there might be some more site bandwidth available for others to have an opinion now.

Plenty of bandwidth anyway. And there is the facility to block any posters !!

I certainly feel that Pete wasn’t doing himself any favours. But I just ignored his posts. Didn’t read half of them, but on the ones I did see I didn’t see anything that warranted a ban.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 2:16pm; Reply: 3
WTF? Come on Rob whats occurring this time FFS?

Pete has hardly posted anything since his return from his self-imposed exile.

How much is Fenty paying you and who's next?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 3, 2017, 2:22pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Ipswin
How much is Fenty paying you and who's next?

Blame Fenty Klaxon!
Posted by: barrattstandman, December 3, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 5
Pete and others are bordering on illegal trolling. About time this was stopped for the good of the club as a whole. We certainly don’t want the law shutting down the Fishy
Posted by: ginnywings, December 3, 2017, 3:00pm; Reply: 6
Illegal trolling? The law shutting down the Fishy?

It's hardly the Watergate scandal FFS.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 3, 2017, 4:08pm; Reply: 7
My only assumption for a ban would be that Rob is under risk of being sued like last time when the fishy board was shut down, I'm sure Rob has done it for the sake of the fishy and to protect himself, he does this for free for the fans
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 3, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 8
Well his self imposed exile lasted a few hours. Rather than days so maybe Rob thought he required a longer rest.

Think the Fenty bashing is wearing us all down, roll on next weeks game.

Sure Pete will be back

BUT

You dont where and dont know when!!

Keep smiling Pete sure you have had worse scrapes over the years
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 4:20pm; Reply: 9
My only assumption for a ban would be that Rob is under risk of being sued like last time when the fishy board was shut down, I'm sure Rob has done it for the sake of the fishy and to protect himself, he does this for free for the fans

The only actionable post I saw mentioned habitual lying, it did not come from Pete and it was quite rightly deleted very quickly without the poster being banned. Non of the posts I have seen from Pete were in any way libellous. I think Pete, like myself and many Fenty critics on here are very careful indeed with what we say for the very purpose of protecting Rob and the Fishy.

If Pete has overstepped the mark then I accept it but I want to hear from Rob why and was it at Fenty's insistence. As far as giving Pete a longer rest is concerned I think we should let him be the best judge of that.
Posted by: LH, December 3, 2017, 4:28pm; Reply: 10
Pete has had his ability to post removed. He had originally said to Rob that he would take an extended break until the new year. This was for his own benefit because - as Swin’s PMs proved - Pete’s posts were starting to annoy JF.

Rob took the step to suspend Pete’s account to:

a) to prevent Pete unintentionally landing himself in trouble.

b) as SOMM says to ensure the Fishy remains open for everyone else to post.

I can categorically state that Fenty was not involved in this decision at all. For what it’s worth I hope Pete can come back in the future as it is quite clear he enjoys being part of the forum.

Roll on next week when we’ve got some football to enjoy/endure. Unfortunately I’ve just seen that Yeovil - our opponents on round 3 weekend - are still in the cup so we might have another weekend like this to come.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LH

For what it’s worth I hope Pete can come back in the future as it is quite clear he enjoys being part of the forum.

He won't, as you rightly observe, because this forum means so much to him, but I sincerely hope Pete tells you and Rob and the many who have criticised his amount of posts, to stick his Fishy membership up your ar$es.

One Fenty critic down, still a few to go tho'

Posted by: Skrill, December 3, 2017, 4:45pm; Reply: 12
Disregarding the whole debate around the board, banning a poster just for speaking their mind is wrong.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, December 3, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 13
Surely a short term rest for Pete is suffice but a full blown ban is very harsh, I speak to Pete privately and he means no harm at all, I think a short term break is the answer not a full blown ban, Pete’s been posting years and known by all of us on here, he’s a good person is Pete.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 3, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 14
I’ve read most of Petes posts and haven’t seen anything libellous so why the ban. If fenty really wants to get annoyed he should log into Twitter now he receives some proper abuse on there.  Or try Facebook only this afternoon in Grimsby Town praise and grumble  group a ex directors wife makes a interesting comment, so banning Pete is poor imo
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 3, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Surely a short term rest for Pete is suffice but a full blown ban is very harsh, I speak to Pete privately and he means no harm at all, I think a short term break is the answer not a full blown ban, Pete’s been posting years and known by all of us on here, he’s a good person is Pete.

Well said Chris!

It’s really disappointing that one of the most prolific posters on here has been told he can’t carry on commenting on his beloved club

I told him him only yesterday when he came back on that he was a valued contributor to The Fishy

I stand by that even though it would seem the powers that be aren’t of the same opinion  :-/
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Well said Chris!

It’s really disappointing that one of the most prolific posters on here has been told he can’t carry on commenting on his beloved club

I told him him only yesterday when he came back on that he was a valued contributor to The Fishy

I stand by that even though it would seem the powers that be aren’t of the same opinion  :-/

Fenty must be p!ssing himself.

Posted by: friskneymariner, December 3, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 17
Whilst I can understand some of the presenting reasons for suspending Pete's ability to post,surely Squarkus has posted far worse and shouldn't in the interest of fairness the same rule be applied,perhaps he is too well connected,just saying..
Posted by: mariner91, December 3, 2017, 5:30pm; Reply: 18
Agree with the above. I can certainly understand if Pete has been given a ban (hopefully temporary) but Squarkus has been abusive in almost every post and adds nothing to the forum, only further antagonising the frayed relationship between Fenty and the fanbase.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 19
I posted some while ago that I was concerned about the future of The Fishy - this is why. Sure, there's been some emotive stuff doing the rounds, some of it less justified than others. For balance, Squarkus did send me a PM apologising for his comments on disability but for some of the posters to be labelled 'vile' seems an inappropriate reaction to an accumulation of poor decisions/PR/communication and lack of respect for the fans.

Rather than banning posters, it would just be nice, once in a while for the club/the board to admit that they've got something wrong rather than going round in circles, changing their stories and treating us like blithering idiots.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 3, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I posted some while ago that I was concerned about the future of The Fishy - this is why. Sure, there's been some emotive stuff doing the rounds, some of it less justified than others. For balance, Squarkus did send me a PM apologising for his comments on disability but for some of the posters to be labelled 'vile' seems an inappropriate reaction to an accumulation of poor decisions/PR/communication and lack of respect for the fans.

Rather than banning posters, it would just be nice, once in a while for the club/the board to admit that they've got something wrong rather than going round in circles, changing their stories and treating us like blithering idiots.

That's your opinion.  ;)

No3 of the fishy 5
"He's a nasty piece of work"
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 3, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 21
PR is a massive issue at the moment, looks like Pete’s personal PR has done him no favours.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 3, 2017, 6:14pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from chrissy

Could grim rob explain why because since coming back he had done nothing wrong .

That is a poor decision from those that run the site.

To actually ban someone from posting because you don't agree with what they say (which this basically is) is the thin end of the wedge.

I haven't agreed with anything at all that Squarkus has said but I still like to read his views just for the comedy value.
Posted by: Kris2, December 3, 2017, 6:19pm; Reply: 23

Well they are, it's just not the same opinion as the posters but of the board. We all remember when The Fishy was shut down for being too independent and only allowed to come back under strict supervision. Everything to do with the club is run by those who swore loyalty to the dear leader and we have to be a member of the party, get reeducated and carry on like good loyal citizens or be removed.

We either accept this and get on with it or boycott the club all together and refuse to use this forum,buy anything from the club or go to matches.

I think everyone in this town is too apathetic for protests or action. We like having a good moan to anyone who will listen buy in the end the season ticket holders will pay again and again to sit and moan. We have been living under the regime for so long that we are used to it and fear fighting for change. And if that means missing the game on a Saturday that sounds boring anyway.

I think we should start a crowdfund to build a huge bronze statue of our dear leader outside Blundell Park so we can go ahead and lay a wreath  by it and bow before each game.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 3, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from LH
Pete has had his ability to post removed. He had originally said to Rob that he would take an extended break until the new year. This was for his own benefit because - as Swin’s PMs proved - Pete’s posts were starting to annoy JF.

I can categorically state that Fenty was not involved in this decision at all. For what it’s worth I hope Pete can come back in the future as it is quite clear he enjoys being part of the forum.

Roll on next week when we’ve got some football to enjoy/endure. Unfortunately I’ve just seen that Yeovil - our opponents on round 3 weekend - are still in the cup so we might have another weekend like this to come.

Barred / censored call it what you will, what you have done is not right and so what if Pete's posts were starting to annoy Fenty, he is a big boy and has his own opinions, they don't seem to line up with the general feeling but they are his opinions. What next autocorrect the name Fenty to The great leader Comrade.

all hail the fishy and our Great Leader Comrade
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 6:23pm; Reply: 25
If upsetting Fenty is a reason to get banned I'll wish you all farewell now

The Vile One
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 3, 2017, 6:24pm; Reply: 26
Rob really should read up on Article 10 of the Human Rights Convention which is enshrined in English Law.
Posted by: TAGG, December 3, 2017, 6:27pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from chrissy

Not seen an answer to this yet!!!!!!
Posted by: LH, December 3, 2017, 6:32pm; Reply: 28
I find it funny that people think that I am a Fenty supporter. I might not post over 100 times in a week that I don’t like the regime but trust me that I am not pro-Fenty by any means. As I said the other day Pete had gone past the point of ranting and needed a break or potentially land himself in trouble.

A voluntary break lasted all of three days and the first thing he did when he came back was to say something about Fenty not wanting him on here (which might be true, but it wasn’t expressed to Rob). That is blatantly taking the urine so an enforced break was deemed necessary by Rob. As I’ve said I hope he can come back.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TAGG

Not seen an answer to this yet!!!!!!

Rob's sidekick 'LH' who I think is also a moderator gave us Rob's reasons - in Pete's own interests apparently! (and because he posted something that might be true)
Posted by: TAGG, December 3, 2017, 6:37pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from LH
I find it funny that people think that I am a Fenty supporter. I might not post over 100 times in a week that I don’t like the regime but trust me that I am not pro-Fenty by any means. As I said the other day Pete had gone past the point of ranting and needed a break or potentially land himself in trouble.

A voluntary break lasted all of three days and the first thing he did when he came back was to say something about Fenty not wanting him on here (which might be true, but it wasn’t expressed to Rob). That is blatantly taking the urine so an enforced break was deemed necessary by Rob. As I’ve said I hope he can come back.

Nice of you to reply mate but why not from the horses mouth???
Posted by: GrimRob, December 3, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 31
Pete himself said he was taking a break from posting until the New Year. He admitted he needed to because he was spending all day sat in front of a computer looking at this site. It was not healthy for him or the balance of the site that he was posting many times more messages than any other poster, mainly on one topic, but any attempt to restrain him, post less or on different topics, just resulted in him  getting upset (he is hypersensitive to criticism) and starting new threads which had to be deleted.

I am going to hold him to his self-imposed New Year constraint. I don't expect him to change much but I think a break would do him good and maybe reflect on his recent experiences. The internet can be an addiction, I have struggled with addiction in the past and I know from first-hand experience how obsessive behaviour can take over your life.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 3, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from LH

You've surpassed supporter when you bar someone because of something they may say, you become a puppet. Did you ask Pete to refrain from posting against Fenty or was that not on the options for dealing with dissenters.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GrimRob
  resulted in him  getting upset (he is hypersensitive to criticism)

Are we still talking about Pete here? Didn't realise how alike Pete and Fenty are  ;)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 6:50pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

Are we still talking about Pete here? Didn't realise how alike Pete and Fenty are  ;)

;D
Posted by: Grim74, December 3, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 35
soon as I saw the headline I wondered how long before Fenty gets the blame 🙄 This is a bit of an over reaction last time I checked Corbyn is still not in power and the Fishy had not relocated to North Korea, what ever pete has said banning him is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut especially for such a long serving poster like Pete, I don't agree with him on everthing he says but that's what made the site so great with so many different opinions, but it seems now freedom of speech dead and buried on the Fishy.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, December 3, 2017, 7:01pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

Rob's sidekick 'LH' who I think is also a moderator gave us Rob's reasons - in Pete's own interests apparently! (and because he posted something that might be true)

Rob’s new blue female dog
Posted by: RoboCod, December 3, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC
PR is a massive issue at the moment, looks like Pete’s personal PR has done him no favours.

If only he'd follower the PR approach of Squarkus eh? An abusive rant up there with the worst ever seen and it gets a sympathetic arm around the shoulders from the Admin, and allowed to remain for a few hours as, apparently, "posting views of a minority view (coincidentally pro-Fenty)  enables you to label other posters as c.unts".

This is a shambles.

Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 38
I think its time Rob read and then amended his own rules (see the archive) about what can and what cannot be posted and what action should be taken

Can't see how Pete has broken any of the rules (at least not warranting a ban) Mind you if they were to be properly interpreted there wouldn't be many of us left on here (or not on a yellow card at least)

What is clear is the postings from Squarkus should have got a red card weeks ago (but then relatives can be so influential can't they?)
Posted by: GrimRob, December 3, 2017, 7:21pm; Reply: 39
How anybody can accuse this site of being pro-Fenty is beyond a joke when rarely an hour goes by without something critical of him appears on here! Its very name has become synonymous with anti-board posts.

John has barely communicated with me at all in the last couple of years and there has been no mention whatsoever of Pete in the communication that there has been between us. I had a word with Squarqus about his posts so we're not turning a blind eye to them either. Occasionally we do have private words with people about their posts and generally, they are ok with it.

The Fishy has had and continues to have a very laissez-faire approach to posters and by and large just let everyone get on with it. Very few posts get reported using the button provided but when they do we'll always look at them. We get criticised when we do intervene and we get criticised when we don't. Like referees, you just can't keep all the people happy all the time.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 3, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Ipswin
I think its time Rob read and then amended his own rules (see the archive) about what can and what cannot be posted and what action should be taken

Can't see how Pete has broken any of the rules (at least not warranting a ban) Mind you if they were to be properly interpreted there wouldn't be many of us left on here (or not on a yellow card at least)

What is clear is the postings from Squarkus should have got a red card weeks ago (but then relatives can be so influential can't they?)

Quite frankly everyone should look at them. If we followed them to the letter of the law a lot of people would have been banned a long time ago, and Pete is not actually banned he is suspended for his own suggested time period. But our laissez-faire approach has been to keep the game flowing and try and keep everyone on the pitch.  :)
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 7:39pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from GrimRob

Quite frankly everyone should look at them. If we followed them to the letter of the law a lot of people would have been banned a long time ago, and Pete is not actually banned he is suspended for his own suggested time period. But our laissez-faire approach has been to keep the game flowing and try and keep everyone on the pitch.  :)

The fact that you are not following them but have banned Pete (and he HAS been banned - if he tries to post tonight it will not be allowed - thats a ban.) is what is pissing me off. The time period for which Pete wants to have a break is entirely up to him surely not for you to enforce.

He's a grown (old ;))  man who can make his own decisions. It may not matter too much as he is due a spell in hospital soon and won't be on line for a while but as soon as he is out again (and hopefully it will be before Christmas) he MUST be reinstated as he will be immobile for a while and, sad as it is, he will actually need the Fishy

Posted by: blundellpork, December 3, 2017, 7:42pm; Reply: 42
I have enjoyed reading the fishy for years, but in recent weeks it has felt like the anti Fenty contingent have really ramped up the ante, with any topic seemingly becoming an opportunity to attack him.

Quite frankly the volume of posts on this topic is pretty ridiculous and has spoilt my enjoyment of this site.

In Pete's case, it seems a sensible view for Rob to take, but it has yet again been laid at the door of Fenty.

I won't be the only poster becoming ever more exasperated and hope we can get back to this forum being the enjoyable place to share views that it once was.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 3, 2017, 7:43pm; Reply: 43
A break could do Pete the world of good, i personally felt that he was becoming obsessed with JF and his self imposed break would do him good, he came back and posted the same stuff again. I dont know Pete personally and he means no harm with his posts, but maybe being able to just take a break from the fishy for a while can open up new avenues for him and when he does come back to posting, i'm sure the fishy and its members will be as welcoming as ever to him
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 3, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from LH

So you stop someone posting because a third party says his posts are annoying Mr Fenty and the fact Mr Fenty is annoyed has nothing to do with the decision?
Just asking before my ban.  :-/

Posted by: StaffsMariner, December 3, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 45
Do we love Fenty and hate Rob now while Pete has a lie down? can't keep up with who the good guys are currently.
I forgive everyone involved of everything when we get a new stadium  :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 3, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

The fact that you are not following them but have banned Pete (and he HAS been banned - if he tries to post tonight it will not be allowed - thats a ban.) is what is pissing me off. The time period for which Pete wants to have a break is entirely up to him surely not for you to enforce.

He's a grown (old ;))  man who can make his own decisions. It may not matter too much as he is due a spell in hospital soon and won't be on line for a while but as soon as he is out again (and hopefully it will be before Christmas) he MUST be reinstated as he will be immobile for a while and, sad as it is, he will actually need the Fishy

Ipswin are you familiar with the phrase "fight in an empty room"? I don't know you but you are clearly a loyal Town fan and a decent bloke but reading your posts your self appointed role as chief character assassin to JF is turning his alleged assertions about you into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Please don't take this as having a pop but sometimes when someone is so passionate they can easily become at best "marmite" and in worst cases "they boy who cried wolf" and people just start ignoring you.

Not sure what your response will be to this post mate but I can assure you it's meant with the best of intention before the axe falls on another decent poster.

Posted by: Cloudy, December 3, 2017, 8:06pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from blundellpork
I have enjoyed reading the fishy for years, but in recent weeks it has felt like the anti Fenty contingent have really ramped up the ante, with any topic seemingly becoming an opportunity to attack him.

Quite frankly the volume of posts on this topic is pretty ridiculous and has spoilt my enjoyment of this site.

In Pete's case, it seems a sensible view for Rob to take, but it has yet again been laid at the door of Fenty.

I won't be the only poster becoming ever more exasperated and hope we can get back to this forum being the enjoyable place to share views that it once was.

It's not the 'anti Fenty' contingent who have upped the ante but JF himself with his lack of support of the fans over 'Bragate', his blind support of the EFL Trophy and then his alleged set up of May Dean that has caused the current negativity.

Nothing to do with results or fans being negative, just the continual goading of many who can see what's in front of their noses and are frankly very drunk off about it!!

That IS sharing views btw
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 3, 2017, 8:16pm; Reply: 48
I don’t agree with censorship and there is no other word that fits in this case. Pete was not banned for what he said but what he might have said, which on the face of it is ridiculous. It smacks a bit of equalising before the other side scores.

However, it has not been mentioned, just hinted at by GrimRob, that Pete has had stress problems in the past and I can accept that this is an attempt on GrimRob’s part to give the lad a bit of breathing space.

So I would ask that people do just that. Stop using Pete as a stick to beat Fenty, there are plenty of others to hand. Let Pete have his time off in peace and welcome him back in the near future to a new start.
Posted by: LH, December 3, 2017, 8:16pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from GYinScuntland

So you stop someone posting because a third party says his posts are annoying Mr Fenty and the fact Mr Fenty is annoyed has nothing to do with the decision?
Just asking before my ban.  :-/

Top selective quoting there 👍
Posted by: chrissy, December 3, 2017, 8:18pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob
Pete himself said he was taking a break from posting until the New Year. He admitted he needed to because he was spending all day sat in front of a computer looking at this site. It was not healthy for him or the balance of the site that he was posting many times more messages than any other poster, mainly on one topic, but any attempt to restrain him, post less or on different topics, just resulted in him  getting upset (he is hypersensitive to criticism) and starting new threads which had to be deleted.

I am going to hold him to his self-imposed New Year constraint. I don't expect him to change much but I think a break would do him good and maybe reflect on his recent experiences. The internet can be an addiction, I have struggled with addiction in the past and I know from first-hand experience how obsessive behaviour can take over your life.

Double standards Rob, You told Pete that he should not comment what has been said in a PM,

Are you going to ban yourself now because you have just posted what Pete told you in a PM ?

Pete has also told me to inform you not to unban him because " you can stick the fishy up your bottom you poodle of Fenty"

Pete's words not mine before you ban me as well.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 3, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from LH

Top selective quoting there 👍

Only selected your quotes.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 52
Repeat - The Fishy will never be the same again, independent my ar$e.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 3, 2017, 8:32pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from chrissy

Double standards Rob, You told Pete that he should not comment what has been said in a PM,

Are you going to ban yourself now because you have just posted what Pete told you in a PM ?

Pete has also told me to inform you not to unban him because " you can stick the fishy up your bottom you poodle of Fenty"

It seems damage limitation hasn't gone the way it was planned, all Robs hard work and dedication now seemingly running a parallel line to how JF runs GTFC.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ipswin are you familiar with the phrase "fight in an empty room"? I don't know you but you are clearly a loyal Town fan and a decent bloke but reading your posts your self appointed role as chief character assassin to JF is turning his alleged assertions about you into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Please don't take this as having a pop but sometimes when someone is so passionate they can easily become at best "marmite" and in worst cases "they boy who cried wolf" and people just start ignoring you.

Not sure what your response will be to this post mate but I can assure you it's meant with the best of intention before the axe falls on another decent poster.

1 My post does not mention Fenty it merely attempts to fight Pete's corner as I consider he has been harshly singled out

2 I am by no means chief character assassin of Fenty (self appointed or otherwise) but will take on the role if non of the other 100s don't want it

3 I don't see that anything I have posted or commented on justify the 'vile' tag. Incidentally it was directed to me and my 'Fishy mates'

4 In light of 3 above you may be pleased to hear you are not my 'mate'

Posted by: SteffiMariner, December 3, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from chrissy

So even when he's banned he's still anti-Fenty...
Posted by: chrissy, December 3, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 56
Rob also told Pete he was flooding the Fishy with anti Fenty posts,
The fact is Pete put 2 threads up only and most of his 100 odd posts in the last week was on the word games,
He also said if you read his posts he  said they had not been put on to have a go at Fenty he stated he did not blame Fenty for a lot of things.
One final point Pete wants to make is why was he not told he was been banned?
Telling him he had been joined into the fishermans club means nothing to him or me.
So that's it from me as well now I will not post on here again because of the way you have treated a good man.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 3, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 57

If those free Fishy FGR tickets are in the directors area........ I vote Ipswin and Pete get them   ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from SteffiMariner

So even when he's banned he's still anti-Fenty...

You surely don't expect him to change his opinion because he has been banned from a small team message board - he has some principles

As far as I am concerned Rob I too have had enough, you and Fenty deserve each other oh. and HertsGTFC (who I thought was leaving himself days ago) troo.

The vile one is flipping off - let Fenty know he won't be bothered again. His PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not contact me again plea HAS WORKED

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

You surely don't expect him to change his opinion because he has been banned from a small team message board - he has some principles

As far as I am concerned Rob I too have had enough, you and Fenty deserve each other oh. and HertsGTFC (who I thought was leaving himself days ago) troo.

The vile one is flipping off - let Fenty know he won't be bothered again. His PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not contact me again plea HAS WORKED

I think it was HertsMariner.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 3, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from promotion plaice

If those free Fishy FGR tickets are in the directors area........ I vote Ipswin and Pete get them   ;)

If Carlsberg did nominations....
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 3, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Ipswin

1 My post does not mention Fenty it merely attempts to fight Pete's corner as I consider he has been harshly singled out

2 I am by no means chief character assassin of Fenty (self appointed or otherwise) but will take on the role if non of the other 100s don't want it

3 I don't see that anything I have posted or commented on justify the 'vile' tag. Incidentally it was directed to me and my 'Fishy mates'

4 In light of 3 above you may be pleased to hear you are not my 'mate'

Like I said my post was not sent in malice I guess point 4 means I am joining what is I'm sure an ever growing group................ BTW re point 2 I said "posts" not "post" as I was actually referring to your posts on various threads.

Posted by: Croxton, December 3, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 62
When I read other clubs forums I am thankful for Rob and others dedication. As a reader of Fishcake and The Fishy for many years I decided this season to trade up and post to share in a wider debate especially as I travel alone.
However, the range of topics and contributors appears to have narrowed. Are we putting off others from taking part when they see the tone of some exchanges?
Could we just follow Mr Savages  suggestion and pull together?
Posted by: Henryscat, December 3, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 63
This seems Orwellian to me.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 3, 2017, 9:10pm; Reply: 64
It’s been clear for a while the JF situation was occupying an unhealthy amount of Petes life so best for him to take a chill pill and do something else for a bit . Hopefully the range of topics will broaden for a while now .
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 3, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It’s been clear for a while the JF situation was occupying an unhealthy amount of Petes life so best for him to take a chill pill and do something else for a bit . Hopefully the range of topics will broaden for a while now .

How can you even presume to say what is best for a poster?
Posted by: LH, December 3, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 66
Pete had volunteered to take a break until the new year and came back after three days. So he himself admitted he needed a break.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 3, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 67

That I assume he doesn't even know ... How bizarre
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 3, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 68

Just an educated guess mate
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 3, 2017, 9:34pm; Reply: 69

Does seem very patronising,let Pete decide what is best for him.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, December 3, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 70

Just an educated guess mate

Educated? You’re from Louth.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 71

Well if Pete gets his knee op before Xmas, I suspect he will need stuff like the Fishy. Might even get a 'Get Well Soon' card from GTFC.....
Posted by: golfer, December 3, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 72
A lot of us get a little heated especially when town play shite like they were doing but it's understandable. Let's hope they get on a nice winning run so that we can all be friends, and call fck out of everybody.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 3, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 73
Shall we have a sweepstake on what page this thread gets locked, before it gets locked?
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 3, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 74

Allegedly Pete has an unhealthy liking of Jaffa cakes, is whoever relieved Pete of his posting ability, are they going to dress up like a Munchkin and take those Jaffa cakes out of his shopping trolly.
Posted by: lukeo, December 3, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 75
He wanted a break until new year, realised after a couple days it's actually not what he wants and tried to come back. Now please don't take offence, I don't really pay much attention to who puts what unless it's something really horrible or a very good post. Pete from whatever I have seen has just had an opinion and isn't that what a forum is for? It frustrates me a little a proper harden Grimsby fan who needs the fishy in his life has been banned yet some helmet from another club got to post on here for weeks on end constantly. Typing excrement and being an idiot... Until we beat his team ofcourse.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, December 3, 2017, 10:18pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Ipswin

No, I find it ironic that his parting shot is the reason he was banned.

Personally, I find it quite refreshing that the anti-Fenty brigade are choosing to leave this board, it might bring a wave of optimism that has been distinctly lacking. And before anyone jumps on me being pro-Fenty, I'm not, I'm pro-Grimsby Town.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 3, 2017, 10:26pm; Reply: 77

Personally, I find it quite refreshing that the anti-Fenty brigade are choosing to leave this board, it might bring a wave of optimism that has been distinctly lacking. And before anyone jumps on me being pro-Fenty, I'm not, I'm pro-Grimsby Town.

We are all pro Grimsby Town the team. It is just the current board we have a problem with. I reckon it is quite easy to differentiate between the two, or it is for me at any rate. i don't see how anybody can support the board for delivering absolutely nothing in 15 years of trying.

I have many times acknowledged Mr. Fenty's cash injection but that was a long long time ago when all our local rivals have surpassed us, as well as quite a few minnows who now play at a higher level. What is the point of a board that can do nothing but keep you on life support?  
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 3, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Ipswin

Getyourfactsright 😂😂😂
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 79

So am I, so is Pete, so is Swin. Why do you have to be pro-Fenty or anti-Fenty? There are several things that he's done that I have respect for and there's several things that I think he has got wrong. As I stated in another thread, I just wish that he had the humility to accept his mistakes and stopped treating genuine fans (who have a lot in common with him) like 2nd class citizens.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, December 3, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So am I, so is Pete, so is Swin. Why do you have to be pro-Fenty or anti-Fenty? There are several things that he's done that I have respect for and there's several things that I think he has got wrong. As I stated in another thread, I just wish that he had the humility to accept his mistakes and stopped treating genuine fans (who have a lot in common with him) like 2nd class citizens.

You don't, Swin and Pete are clearly anti Fenty, I have no opinion of him what so ever.

The bold bit is a two way street. When you get posters like Swin and Pete continually slagging Fenty off for every decision he does or doesn't make, then I can understand why Fenty is a bit brash towards fans. When he didn't release a statement he was a twit, when he released a statement he was a twit. The guy can't win. For all the things he has or hasn't done, the one thing you can say he is a fan. For all Fenty's mistakes, I'd rather have him in charge than an Oyston or a Reynolds.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, December 3, 2017, 10:44pm; Reply: 81
This site is becoming a soap opera of playground proportions. Too many (by this I mean a few) individuals with too much time and too much petty pent up hatred skewing everything. I am unadulterated anti-fenty but the repetive nature of the critcism on here is just becoming boring beyond belief.

I don't need to currently read the posts of a select dominating few; the minute I see their username I know what's coming. It's never a good sign if you're that predictable.
Posted by: St. Pauli, December 4, 2017, 12:04am; Reply: 82
From a distance ...

Does the owner/non-chairman/whatever of a professional football club realy care what is or what is not posted on an independent (?) message board on the www ??? What a sad person must this owner/non-chairman/whatever be ? My advice to him: concentrate more on the important bits, which is making GTFC a succesful football club again !
It feels a bit like twitter-Trump and that is presently the sadest person in the world i can imagine.

I always considered Pete as one of the regular and more interesting contributors on this site. I valued his opinion. And to ban someone just because he repeats himself a bit more often than others I can not understand.

I have a 5 year old boy who is in kindergarden ... well this whole story reminds me a bit ...

Good night
Posted by: forza ivano, December 4, 2017, 12:48am; Reply: 83
I feel sorry for rob. Pete obviously has his problems and his incessant posts presents rob with a problem because they arevconstant and on occasions potentially libellous. It's an impossible conondrum,i. e. The balance between Pete posting, which obviously helps keep his life in balance, and the opprobrium he launches on jf which  goes ott on occasions and could potentially leve rob open to legal action.
IMHO Pete ipswin and the more vitriolic anti jf posters shouldve take 5 minutes, think and then post their thoughts
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2017, 3:13am; Reply: 84
Quoted from blundellpork

Do you mean share views as long as they aren't anti-Fenty?
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2017, 3:15am; Reply: 85
Quoted from forza ivano
I feel sorry for rob. Pete obviously has his problems and his incessant posts presents rob with a problem because they arevconstant and on occasions potentially libellous. It's an impossible conondrum,i. e. The balance between Pete posting, which obviously helps keep his life in balance, and the opprobrium he launches on jf which  goes ott on occasions and could potentially leve rob open to legal action.
IMHO Pete ipswin and the more vitriolic anti jf posters shouldve take 5 minutes, think and then post their thoughts

Well I've had my 5 minutes, I still blame John Fenty for dragging this club into non league and can never forgive that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2017, 3:23am; Reply: 86
Quoted from cardiffmariner
This site is becoming a soap opera of playground proportions. Too many (by this I mean a few) individuals with too much time and too much petty pent up hatred skewing everything. I am unadulterated anti-fenty but the repetive nature of the critcism on here is just becoming boring beyond belief.

I don't need to currently read the posts of a select dominating few; the minute I see their username I know what's coming. It's never a good sign if you're that predictable.

The problem with the continuing anti-jf comments aren't help by the continuing own goals by the club, we recently had the bullying fans crap and this was followed by the Matt Dean assassination.

When he has learnt to try to run the club without pissing off a great many fans then the comments should stop.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 4, 2017, 5:05am; Reply: 87
Sad that it has come to this hope Pete as something else to fill his time. The constant slagging off between the board and it's fans as taken its toll on both sides.

Let us hope things where it really matters ON THE PITCH keep improving.

Roll on Saturday                                                                         UTM.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, December 4, 2017, 8:04am; Reply: 88
Arry, I don’t disagree with that at all but the things you mention have been done to death now.

Some just keep on bashing out the same old message on their keyboards and it’s gone from valid criticism to something more personal and destructive imho. That isn’t going to help the club (the most important thing here) move on.
Posted by: golfer, December 4, 2017, 8:09am; Reply: 89
Hi. Pete--Do you remember when you were a little boy and Bob Dylan had that hit with  "The times they are a changing "- well hopefully and I think they will be in the near future.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 4, 2017, 8:34am; Reply: 90
Don't p1ss off the boys in blue.
Posted by: Maringer, December 4, 2017, 9:47am; Reply: 91
Quoted from arryarryarry

and this was followed by the Matt Dean assassination.

Bloody hell, things are getting really serious! Did anyone call the police?  :)
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 4, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 92
I saw someone lurking near the grassy knoll.
Posted by: RoboCod, December 4, 2017, 9:55am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Maringer

It wasn't a silver bullet that was used though. There aren't any.

Posted by: Civvy at last, December 4, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 94
Quoted from Maringer

Apparently, the EFL did investigate, but decided on no further action.  However, they are looking at putting rules in place to prevent the assassination of any more journalists  ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 4, 2017, 10:48am; Reply: 95
Quoted from arryarryarry

The problem with the continuing anti-jf comments aren't help by the continuing own goals by the club, we recently had the bullying fans crap and this was followed by the Matt Dean assassination.

When he has learnt to try to run the club without pissing off a great many fans then the comments should stop.

The MIB did it, no not men in black but the men in the boardroom  ;D

When I said Matt Dean was hung drawn and quartered it was a figure of speech  ;)
Posted by: Tommy, December 4, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Maringer

I heard that the Police have filed it under same log as the report that Bignot through Henderson under a bus.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 4, 2017, 3:32pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Maringer

Yes, and Sting said everything will be fine as long as you "don't stand so close to me" so I said to "Roxanne" why are you " so lonely ".
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 4, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Gaffer58

Yes, and Sting said everything will be fine as long as you "don't stand so close to me" so I said to "Roxanne" why are you " so lonely ".

You'll get PSG on here talking about a Message in a bottle soon  ;)
Posted by: Kris2, December 4, 2017, 4:50pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Marinerz93

The MIB did it, no not men in black but the men in the boardroom  ;D

When I said Matt Dean was hung drawn and quartered it was a figure of speech  ;)

It's okay comrade, as long as you follow the rules and don't speak badly about our glorious leader you don't need to fear the same fate.
Posted by: golfer, December 4, 2017, 10:05pm; Reply: 100
Looks like they are having a clear out -FAT COBRA given a straight red today-he is now banned full stop for a comment he made regarding the forum from the other night. Rob told him that his comments could have led to court action. A lot of  Fat Cobra's comments are jokes and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Don't know if his "post" is still on but if it was so bad why wasn't he told to take it off straight away. Hope you are soon back F.C.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2017, 10:20pm; Reply: 101
This is a joke right Rob? You've banned someone because he said he was taking a break from the Fishy but came back sooner than expected, so you decided to ban him 'for his own good'?

Back in the day the Soviet Union used to send dissidents to psychiatric hospital.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 4, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from golfer
Looks like they are having a clear out -FAT COBRA given a straight red today-he is now banned full stop for a comment he made regarding the forum from the other night. Rob told him that his comments could have led to court action. A lot of  Fat Cobra's comments are jokes and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Don't know if his "post" is still on but if it was so bad why wasn't he told to take it off straight away. Hope you are soon back F.C.

Is it open season on dissenters?

Posted by: lukeo, December 4, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 103
Are you serious? Fat cobra been banned?
Posted by: GrimRob, December 4, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 104
Fat Cobra was warned by the moderators in March and July and this year when his posts had to be removed and there have also been issues with him in previous years. He's been warned several times about offensive and abusive posts. We can't be expected just to turn a blind eye indefinitely!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 4, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 105
Fvcking mental on here lately.
Posted by: TAGG, December 4, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 106
FFS
It's fookin mad on here at the moment.
People are to thin skinned now because of all the liberal balderdash over the last few years.

Someone's always offended in our days.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), December 5, 2017, 3:53am; Reply: 107
FWIW I think Rob has done the correct thing in both cases.

What we may view as understandable hysterical football banter could easily be viewed by a judge as libel.

What we write on this public forum is OUT THERE and available for general scrutiny. And non-deniable!
I've winced more than a few times at some of the things posters have felt they can safely broadcast to the world.
(I have no legal training, but having read 'Private Eye' for many years I am acquainted with some of the notions regarding libel  :) )

Having been guilty of this myself in the (fairly distant) past, my advice to everyone is: don't post if/when you're angry.
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 5, 2017, 6:34am; Reply: 108
Am saddened by events, and only just catching up with them due to holidays so apologies if some of the comments I make may already have been made.

The way I view the Fishy, especially as a Mariner exile, is basically as a lifeline to the club through the fans. It doesn't mean I have to agree with anything or everything that's posted, far from it in fact, but I always think I get a more reasoned approach from what Fishy members have to say in total - and then draw my own conclusions based on their previous postings /past history etc.

I have always found Grimsby Pete to be a decent bloke. I'm also well aware that he had a very public episode on here a few years ago, and the outcome of all that was was the Fishy is all about, because although we have our differences, being a Town fan inexorably binds us all together. So I'm sad to see him go. Yes, his posts had got a tad monotonous but folk don't need to read them if they don't want to, and I never, ever, saw anything libelous in them, just the words of someone who is thoroughly p1ssed off with what is going on behind the scenes at BP. I fully empathise with Pete here, because I feel exactly the same.What I do find interesting though are the words of those who actually support Fenty, and I read every word that they write - to get the balanced approach that I talked about earlier.

What we now have though, and I do feel for Rob as I moderate several forums that I run myself, is a situation whereby people are getting banned for being repetitive, not for being racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc - the normal type of things that get folk into trouble, and moderators twitchy.

An online Forum is basically computerised terrace banter, and I think we would all do well to think of it like that. If you found someone boring on the terraces you'd make sure you didn't stand anywhere near them at the next game. You wouldn't go and ask for them to be removed because you might not agree with them. Let's have a bit more common sense on here please, and let's remember that free speech is a very important cornerstone of our democracy.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2017, 7:00am; Reply: 109
Quoted from jock dock tower
Am saddened by events, and only just catching up with them due to holidays so apologies if some of the comments I make may already have been made.

The way I view the Fishy, especially as a Mariner exile, is basically as a lifeline to the club through the fans. It doesn't mean I have to agree with anything or everything that's posted, far from it in fact, but I always think I get a more reasoned approach from what Fishy members have to say in total - and then draw my own conclusions based on their previous postings /past history etc.

I have always found Grimsby Pete to be a decent bloke. I'm also well aware that he had a very public episode on here a few years ago, and the outcome of all that was was the Fishy is all about, because although we have our differences, being a Town fan inexorably binds us all together. So I'm sad to see him go. Yes, his posts had got a tad monotonous but folk don't need to read them if they don't want to, and I never, ever, saw anything libelous in them, just the words of someone who is thoroughly p1ssed off with what is going on behind the scenes at BP. I fully empathise with Pete here, because I feel exactly the same.What I do find interesting though are the words of those who actually support Fenty, and I read every word that they write - to get the balanced approach that I talked about earlier.

What we now have though, and I do feel for Rob as I moderate several forums that I run myself, is a situation whereby people are getting banned for being repetitive, not for being racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc - the normal type of things that get folk into trouble, and moderators twitchy.

An online Forum is basically computerised terrace banter, and I think we would all do well to think of it like that. If you found someone boring on the terraces you'd make sure you didn't stand anywhere near them at the next game. You wouldn't go and ask for them to be removed because you might not agree with them. Let's have a bit more common sense on here please, and let's remember that free speech is a very important cornerstone of our democracy.

Very good post Comrade Jock  :)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 5, 2017, 9:04am; Reply: 110
Fvcking ell , I'm next.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 5, 2017, 9:43am; Reply: 111
The Fishy is an important and vital link between the fans and club. If it didn’t exist I doubt Operation Promotion would’ve happened to the level it did  for one example.
Even though the majority of people on here support the free speech of individuals there’s no way the Fishy’s future should be jeopardised by individual posters .

(Fat Cobra deserved to be banned though for libelling the good folk of Louth tho .I was planning legal action for calling us uneducated. )
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2017, 9:57am; Reply: 112
The Fishy is an important and vital link between the fans and club. If it didn’t exist I doubt Operation Promotion would’ve happened to the level it did  for one example.
Even though the majority of people on here support the free speech of individuals there’s no way the Fishy’s future should be jeopardised by individual posters .

(Fat Cobra deserved to be banned though for libelling the good folk of Louth tho .I was planning legal action for calling us uneducated. )

I am not sure it's as vital as some poster believe it is ;)
Posted by: golfer, December 5, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 113
Nobody pays attention to us unless we do something wrong.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, December 5, 2017, 11:26am; Reply: 114
I’ll have to be careful then, I’ve upset a few people the last few weeks.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 5, 2017, 11:26am; Reply: 115
Whereabouts is The Fishy in the fans forums banning order league?
Posted by: golfer, December 5, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 116
Have just done a SYSTEM RESTORE on my laptop and it's brought PETE and FAT COBRA back onto the FISHY
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 5, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from golfer
Have just done a SYSTEM RESTORE on my laptop and it's brought PETE and FAT COBRA back onto the FISHY

Can you do a system restore back to the days when we were in the Championship  ;D
Posted by: Kris2, December 5, 2017, 5:27pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
I’ll have to be careful then, I’ve upset a few people the last few weeks.

Reform now Comrade while you have the chance, the dissenters are being removed and will be looking over their shoulders.

This is not a place for starting an open rebellion.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 5, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from 137
FWIW I think Rob has done the correct thing in both cases.

What we may view as understandable hysterical football banter could easily be viewed by a judge as libel.

What we write on this public forum is OUT THERE and available for general scrutiny. And non-deniable!
I've winced more than a few times at some of the things posters have felt they can safely broadcast to the world.
(I have no legal training, but having read 'Private Eye' for many years I am acquainted with some of the notions regarding libel  :) )

Having been guilty of this myself in the (fairly distant) past, my advice to everyone is: don't post if/when you're angry.

It's not libel if it's true or if you have an honest held belief it's true (obviously you will have to back it up). For it to be libel it'd have to go to the High Court and it would have to have caused serious damage or harm to an individual or their reputation.

The chance of any of the name calling on here ever getting to the High Court is Zero, as JF doesn't have a reputation that could be harmed by posting comments on this forum. You might hurt his feelings, but unless you are making serious allegations nothing would ever come of it.  

I believe Rob's being overzealous.  I know I'll be gone soon, but I'm not going to stop posting what I believe are my honest opinions.

Posted by: realist, December 5, 2017, 6:20pm; Reply: 120
Hear hear. Well said
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2017, 7:03pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

It's not libel if it's true or if you have an honest held belief it's true (obviously you will have to back it up). For it to be libel it'd have to go to the High Court and it would have to have caused serious damage or harm to an individual or their reputation.

The chance of any of the name calling on here ever getting to the High Court is Zero, as JF doesn't have a reputation that could be harmed by posting comments on this forum. You might hurt his feelings, but unless you are making serious allegations nothing would ever come of it.  

I believe Rob's being overzealous.  I know I'll be gone soon, but I'm not going to stop posting what I believe are my honest opinions.

I don't think that we can be too critical of Rob for all I agree with your sentiment. We don't know what pressure is or has been exerted in the past but we should surely be entitled to an opinion and freedom of speech. After all, they are basic human rights.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2017, 7:10pm; Reply: 122
It’s Rob’s site so ultimately it’s up to him. The danger is he starts banning people for not doing anything wrong and very soon he ends up with a board where there are so few, self-censoring posters that there will be no credibility left.

The Grim Outlook will get busy.
Posted by: lukeo, December 5, 2017, 7:25pm; Reply: 123
OK so I usually keep myself to myself and keep my personal life to myself but I'm currently going through a very flipping excrement time and genuinely wake up some days wondering why I bother and whether I should just give up on life. It sounds stupid but something like the fishy just gives people a little bit of a boost and smile. It may sound sad and pathetic to alot but I see where Pete is coming from. Being lonely isn't nice and haven't a excrement real life isn't nice. Places like the fishy give you a chance to take your mind off things and get your teeth stuck into something or gives you a smile when people type puns etc.
I hope Pete will be welcomed back soon, Im not 100% sure what he's done or what was said but seeing things on here about his mental state etc makes me feel like he needs this forum. I have always said a smile is infectious, a small please or thank you or holding a door for someone can go a long way. Every day you wake up and head to work and put a big brave smile on your face and hide the demons inside. It's not nice and not easy so I hope Pete is welcomed back sooner rather than later
Posted by: golfer, December 5, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 124
Rob- why don't you change the 2  red cards to yellows with a stiff warning. Everything would be in the open now and if either erred in the future they most likely wouldn't get any sympathy from the rest of us.   " Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 5, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 125
Very well said lukeo, got it in a nutshell. If, for whatever reason, the Fishy were to go offline permanently I know I would lose a very important lifeline to the club as it serves a social function as well as a footballing one.

I run a local history forum in south west Scotland, where I live, and the area's diaspora are worldwide and they can keep in touch with things locally via this. My sister in law lives in Greece, and the first thing she does every morning is switch the site on to see if there's anything new that she can appreciate, and / or contribute to.She lives by herself so it serves an important social function for her, and many others like her. The Fishy is in exactly the same position.

Can we have a "clear the air" session where folk can let off steam should they choose to do so, but agree on a common way forward that recognises everybody's right to participate as long as they abide by the rules of the site? A bit like a Fan's Forum, eh?
Posted by: GrimRob, December 5, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from golfer
Rob- why don't you change the 2  red cards to yellows with a stiff warning. Everything would be in the open now and if either erred in the future they most likely wouldn't get any sympathy from the rest of us.   " Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

Both of them were given plenty of warnings. Fat Cobra was banned a few years ago and then persuaded me to let him back with promises of changed behaviour. He's then received stacks more warnings. Pete is a special case altogether.

There are no plans to ban anyone else and no subject is taboo so nobody needs to worry. You can criticise all you want, just don't be abusive!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2017, 9:19pm; Reply: 127
Jock, I'm not sure it needs a clear the air session. We all (apart from the banned) have that opportunity now. Unless you mean REALLY get stuff off our chest that we self-censor out on a daily basis. I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

The fans forum last week saw JF get stuff off his chest and look how much good that did!

But I agree on your point about the unintended function of the Fishy which helps bind the diaspora together, even if we do fall out!
Posted by: mariner91, December 5, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 128
How can anyone be bothered about fat cobra being banned? He was literally just a troll and not even a good or funny one. Good riddance.
Posted by: Meza, December 5, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 129
GrimRob

I think your doing a stelling job mate and thank you for having me as part of the fishy life.  Im very appreciative that your taking time out not to mention probably paying for the forum to remain open each month.

I also remember when the fishy went down and the new fishy site launched that i was invited back to the site......something im grateful for.  I can even remember massaging other people from other GTFC forums to get them back on here.

So thanks 👍

No im not a kiss behind 🤣
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Meza
GrimRob

I think your doing a stelling job mate and thank you for having me as part of the fishy life.  Im very appreciative that your taking time out not to mention probably paying for the forum to remain open each month.

I also remember when the fishy went down and the new fishy site launched that i was invited back to the site......something im grateful for.  I can even remember massaging other people from other GTFC forums to get them back on here.

So thanks 👍

No im not a kiss behind 🤣

I can't remember you massaging me!
Posted by: Meza, December 5, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I can't remember you massaging me!

Oops.....🤣

Your joking old codger you was the worse you was never satisfied with my massaging 😉
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 5, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 132
Come, come, chaps.....
Posted by: Meza, December 5, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 133
I did jock twice 🤣🤣
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 5, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from lukeo
OK so I usually keep myself to myself and keep my personal life to myself but I'm currently going through a very flipping excrement time and genuinely wake up some days wondering why I bother and whether I should just give up on life. It sounds stupid but something like the fishy just gives people a little bit of a boost and smile. It may sound sad and pathetic to alot but I see where Pete is coming from. Being lonely isn't nice and haven't a excrement real life isn't nice. Places like the fishy give you a chance to take your mind off things and get your teeth stuck into something or gives you a smile when people type puns etc.
I hope Pete will be welcomed back soon, Im not 100% sure what he's done or what was said but seeing things on here about his mental state etc makes me feel like he needs this forum. I have always said a smile is infectious, a small please or thank you or holding a door for someone can go a long way. Every day you wake up and head to work and put a big brave smile on your face and hide the demons inside. It's not nice and not easy so I hope Pete is welcomed back sooner rather than later

Well said Lukeo

I'm in a similar situation I guess.... The Fishy is one of my first ports of call when the daily grind is getting me down and I value being able to come on here, just to escape from other elements of my personal life

I'm not a fan of fans falling out but realise it can happen but I think in general we do more good by venting our opinions on here than just keeping them all in. What's the point of a forum if we can't have disagreements from time to time...it's just a reflection of what happens when a group of people get together and realise that while we have some things in common, we have differences too

Anyway I for one want to be able to keep on coming here for a long time, no matter what the topics are, no matter who the posters are because I can live with the fact that I have my views and interests and that others have theirs too. It's good to share and exchange our own personal issues in my opinion

As for your own situation, without getting too personal, hopefully you'll get through your current bad days and that there'll soon be some light at the end of the tunnel for you!

All the best & UTM

Posted by: Cloudy, December 6, 2017, 7:51am; Reply: 135

Well said Lukeo

I'm in a similar situation I guess.... The Fishy is one of my first ports of call when the daily grind is getting me down and I value being able to come on here, just to escape from other elements of my personal life

I'm not a fan of fans falling out but realise it can happen but I think in general we do more good by venting our opinions on here than just keeping them all in. What's the point of a forum if we can't have disagreements from time to time...it's just a reflection of what happens when a group of people get together and realise that while we have some things in common, we have differences too

Anyway I for one want to be able to keep on coming here for a long time, no matter what the topics are, no matter who the posters are because I can live with the fact that I have my views and interests and that others have theirs too. It's good to share and exchange our own personal issues in my opinion

As for your own situation, without getting too personal, hopefully you'll get through your current bad days and that there'll soon be some light at the end of the tunnel for you!

All the best & UTM

Lukeo, just when you see light at the end of the tunnel........Les will come along and flag you offside!😁😜
Posted by: oochiad, December 6, 2017, 8:28am; Reply: 136
So regarding Lukeo’s point I agree to a certain degree. I also live a life of many difficulties, the main one being disabled. I get down. Grimsby Town and the fishy is something I hold close to my heart. My point is that so many posts are destructive to the club and fans at the minute that I’m finding it to be quite honestly utterly depressing. That certainly isn’t helpful. UTM
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 6, 2017, 8:38am; Reply: 137
Everybody has bad days/weeks sometimes even months & years.

You feel like you are alone, you don't want to open up to family and friends incase you get laughed at.

You dont want to go to the doctors because your embarrased.

A lot of people have been there before, and it DOES get better, but only with time.

Certain things will trigger a smile, a laugh, and a slow return to being the original you!!!

But one thing you don't need while in that way, is someone getting on your back, and making it worse..

So whilst i don't know Pete personally, or 90% of people on here, i know everyone is on here for the same reason, and that's GTFC
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 6, 2017, 8:53am; Reply: 138
One or two ego`s needs massaging on a regular basis from I have observed. You can usually come on to the fishy and see a random one liner that slays you somewhere.Love it
Posted by: lukeo, December 6, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 139
That made me  ;D Cloudy thanks. Luckily I have a solicitor in my family so I know eventually it will work out.
Posted by: Rick12, December 6, 2017, 9:06pm; Reply: 140
Just seen this and sad to read

Hope Pete comes back as was one of my favourite posters.
Posted by: Rick12, December 6, 2017, 9:13pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from blundellpork

I always appreciated Fentys input when he did come on here.Admired the fact in some ways he had mixed with the fans on here albeit via a internet forum

Ive always felt with Fenty though he is a Grimsby fan and as a person didnt mind him

Posted by: TheCodfather1966, December 6, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 142
The club and fans should all pull together as one.  Rose coloured spectacles on here...............  This will clearly not happen until we get a better Board, and until that time we are stuck with what we have got, simple as.  Simply vote with your feet if you have had enough of how the club is run, that is the only way to tackle things.

UTM
Posted by: lukeo, December 7, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 143
Why not do a public vote on whether Pete should be allowed back on the fishy to post?
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 7, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from lukeo
Why not do a public vote on whether Pete should be allowed back on the fishy to post?

A vote for Pete from me (thumbup1)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2017, 12:48am; Reply: 145
Seconded.

I think it's wrong he's been banned 'for his own good'. I suspect the real reason is he said uncomplimentary things about someone who sits on snooker tables.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:17am