Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 30, 2017, 10:05am
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere I came across it on Facebook and thought it a noble gesture we could try and support.

We will be organising a Grimsby Town fans food bank collection in association with CARE prior to the Grimsby Town v Forest Green Rovers fixture on Saturday 9th December. Find us on the corner of Imperial Avenue from 1:30pm. (All donations welcome, you don’t have to be a football fan) Please Share. For the many, not the few.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 30, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere I came across it on Facebook and thought it a noble gesture we could try and support.

We will be organising a Grimsby Town fans food bank collection in association with CARE prior to the Grimsby Town v Forest Green Rovers fixture on Saturday 9th December. Find us on the corner of Imperial Avenue from 1:30pm. (All donations welcome, you don’t have to be a football fan) Please Share. For the many, not the few.

Seriously (and this is not a dig at him) could you ask Fenty as a Grimsby Town fan to make a contribution, it would be a nice gesture, would align him with the fans a little more perhaps and given the time of year would be a great help to those less comfortable than him
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 30, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Ipswin

Seriously (and this is not a dig at him) could you ask Fenty as a Grimsby Town fan to make a contribution, it would be a nice gesture, would align him with the fans a little more perhaps and given the time of year would be a great help to those less comfortable than him

Pretty sure he will support it in any case whatever faults he may have helping local charities isn`t one of them I can vouch for him there.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 30, 2017, 10:41am; Reply: 3
I shall be donating but i think we should stop the FGR fans from donating their Tofu.
Posted by: LH, November 30, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 4
The people collecting from a foodbank would send the tofu back anyway. They’re not that desperate.

This is a joke by the way, it’s a great cause and when I mentioned it to my Mrs we’ve agreed to get a box together for it with the weekly shop.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 30, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 5
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Pretty sure he will support it in any case whatever faults he may have helping local charities isn`t one of them I can vouch for him there.

I hope so best neither Pete or I ask him though  ;)

Posted by: Ipswin, November 30, 2017, 11:15am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
I shall be donating but i think we should stop the FGR fans from donating their Tofu.

I'd be more concerned about the meat starved Forest Green fans nicking the tins of corned beef

Posted by: gaz57, November 30, 2017, 7:28pm; Reply: 7
Their are good people all over the country so I'm sure if the FG fans knew they' would donate.UTMM
Posted by: gaz57, November 30, 2017, 7:31pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from gaz57
Their are good people all over the country so I'm sure if the FG fans knew they' would donate.UTMM

Sorry missed the important bit, I will be donating to.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 30, 2017, 7:36pm; Reply: 9
Great idea.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 30, 2017, 8:48pm; Reply: 10
Same here, I'll donate some stuff, great idea
Posted by: codcheeky, November 30, 2017, 11:24pm; Reply: 11
Food banks in Britain, this is embarrassing to us as  a country, an absolute disgrace. One in ten families in London apparently rely on food bank support, what sort of country have we become?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 1, 2017, 7:42am; Reply: 12
You think the need for food banks is an issue an issue and your not wrong, don’t even get me started about the young kids laid on the pavement in sleeping bags outside every major railway station in London, see it every day and it makes me sad and angry.......... sorry non football post really but one that I had to comment on as it’s a real issue as opposed to the goings on at small Town football clubs.
Posted by: WesternMariner, December 4, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC
You think the need for food banks is an issue an issue and your not wrong, don’t even get me started about the young kids laid on the pavement in sleeping bags outside every major railway station in London, see it every day and it makes me sad and angry.......... sorry non football post really but one that I had to comment on as it’s a real issue as opposed to the goings on at small Town football clubs.

Well said Herts - I've just come back from that there London and the number of kids sleeping rough is a flipping disgrace. It was bloody cold walking around in my good winter coat let alone sleeping in doorways and on the embankment, within sight of skyscrapers to corporate greed and city boys frittering away a working mans weeks wage on a bottle of plonk.

What I also noticed was the number of people who weren't just sticking a quid in a paper cup but were stopping and talking to homeless people - human being to human being. Made me think there's hope for us yet.

Then I got home and saw some of the abusive comments on the Tellywag website about a fella who's suggesting we help our local homeless down the avenue......

Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2017, 4:56pm; Reply: 14
When I was a kid the only homeless people you saw were drunks. Proper old school tramps. But that was back in the days when we had more of a welfare state.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2017, 4:59pm; Reply: 15
Incidentally, last week when I was up there in that Humberside, Dave Burns was running a campaign to eradicate rough sleeping in Hull. A woman from Pompey came on and talked about a scheme which converted an old double decker bus. Within the next 30-40 minutes someone from the bus company was on saying it would be possible to donate a bus and someone from a church rang in to say we could run the project.

Anyone know what happened next? I didn't get to hear as I was out of range of RH.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 5, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Incidentally, last week when I was up there in that Humberside, Dave Burns was running a campaign to eradicate rough sleeping in Hull. A woman from Pompey came on and talked about a scheme which converted an old double decker bus. Within the next 30-40 minutes someone from the bus company was on saying it would be possible to donate a bus and someone from a church rang in to say we could run the project.

Anyone know what happened next? I didn't get to hear as I was out of range of RH.

They found some crested newts at the first site it was to be parked at, local residents got a petition up against the second site and the bus has been driving around in circles ever since.
Posted by: Grim74, December 5, 2017, 6:38pm; Reply: 17
A few years ago my lad through no fault of his own became classed as being homeless, but guess what he contacted the local authority and they was really helpful to be fair, he was giving multiple choices but took up the offer to stay in the YMCA . And after a few months in there with local authority help once again, he moved into a modern flat run by an housing association.

So I think there is a lot of help locally if you want it and that's the key, as for the beggars on the avenue I'd sling them inside for a stretch no questions asked.
Posted by: Maringer, December 5, 2017, 11:34pm; Reply: 18
A few years ago, the council budget was a lot higher and the general level of social security hadn't been slashed back so much. Get used to seeing a lot more people on the streets as the resources just aren't there to stop it these days and the Universal Credit debacle stands to increase the numbers by tens of thousands at the very least.

I suppose sticking the homeless in prison would be an option - at tens of thousands of pounds per person (prison isn't cheap), it would be a ridiculously stupid option, but an option all the same.
Posted by: hheh2, December 5, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8
Posted by: golfer, December 6, 2017, 7:40am; Reply: 20
Are you taking the Psss  :)
Posted by: Grim74, December 6, 2017, 8:27am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Maringer
A few years ago, the council budget was a lot higher and the general level of social security hadn't been slashed back so much. Get used to seeing a lot more people on the streets as the resources just aren't there to stop it these days and the Universal Credit debacle stands to increase the numbers by tens of thousands at the very least.

I suppose sticking the homeless in prison would be an option - at tens of thousands of pounds per person (prison isn't cheap), it would be a ridiculously stupid option, but an option all the same.

Have a read of today's telegraph proves my point.
Posted by: WesternMariner, December 6, 2017, 2:50pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Grim74

Have a read of today's telegraph proves my point.

Of course if it says it in the Tellywag it must be true, in fact even better the paper is reporting what the Council have told them!!!!! That's the same NELC who not so long ago was saying there were no homeless people in the borough.

I can tell you one thing for a fact that if your lad needed the YMCA today he wouldn't get in, they're full and operating one out one in. Like I said it's cold on the streets at the minute.
Posted by: Grim74, December 6, 2017, 3:16pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WesternMariner

I can tell you one thing for a fact that if your lad needed the YMCA today he wouldn't get in, they're full and operating one out one in. Like I said it's cold on the streets at the minute.

This is absolute bullshit the real fact is there are rooms available right now, you are a liar you are lying to give credit to your false narrative.
Posted by: Fishbone, December 6, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 24
Is there a justgiving or similar page so that us 'exiles' might also donate cash?
Posted by: Rick12, December 6, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grim74
A few years ago my lad through no fault of his own became classed as being homeless, but guess what he contacted the local authority and they was really helpful to be fair, he was giving multiple choices but took up the offer to stay in the YMCA . And after a few months in there with local authority help once again, he moved into a modern flat run by an housing association.

So I think there is a lot of help locally if you want it and that's the key, as for the beggars on the avenue I'd sling them inside for a stretch no questions asked.
I agree some are more vulnerable than others eg no family,poor background etc which makes them more likely to end up homeless which is hard to see.

YMCA and salvation army are noble causes but as the latter said  in their Christmas campaign they can help get them of the ground via a chat and a place to stay temporarily but they  have to help themselves as well

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 6, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 26
All I know is when I go to work early morning @0400 I see loads of vagrants laid in sleepings bags in all weather outside shop fronts on the seafront and down the high street in Cleethorpes.

Can't believe a faker will lay in a rain-sodden sleeping bag on a freezing cold all night.

This has become a lot worse over recent months WTF is going on ???

Nevermind finding a site for travelers what about these poor sods??  I heard a plee on R.H. asking people to donate their sheds as a makeshift shelter for a person on the street WTF.

Just somewhere with a roof and walls to shield from the wind as a overnight only stay would surfice.
Posted by: mariner83, December 7, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Fishbone
Is there a justgiving or similar page so that us 'exiles' might also donate cash?

[url=http://www.carenelincs.co.uk/friends.htm]http://www.carenelincs.co.uk/friends.htm[/url]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 9, 2017, 8:27pm; Reply: 28
Well done to those who did the food bank today, I am sure the people who have to use it will appreciate your efforts.

Top Job!
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 6:02pm