Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /    /  
Posted by: JMT, November 14, 2017, 10:16am
Tweet 930376638273085440 will appear here...
Posted by: Cloudy, November 14, 2017, 10:17am; Reply: 1
RH suggesting Woodhouse set to join GTFC as first team coach!!

Hope he knocks a few out in training
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 10:19am; Reply: 2
Played the game at a decent level hopefully he can help on the creativity and goal scoring side we need a bit of hmmmmmppppph
Posted by: Maringer, November 14, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 3
Wow, that's a bit random.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 14, 2017, 10:27am; Reply: 4
Might sort some of the excrement what needs sorting out.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 14, 2017, 10:30am; Reply: 5
I see this as a positive. For once
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 14, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 6
I'm not sure this will be a good appointment. A quick look at his social media will show you it is likely to be interesting though.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 14, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 7
By First Team Coach, I'm guessing I'm not the only one confused as that's the new modern name for 'manager'.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 14, 2017, 10:47am; Reply: 8
Where does this leave  Paul Wilkinson.
Posted by: hheh2, November 14, 2017, 10:47am; Reply: 9
Good appointment I'd say, we need new motivation in the team
Posted by: Tommy, November 14, 2017, 10:48am; Reply: 10
Quoted from friskneymariner

Won't change his role. He is assistant manager.

Plenty of clubs will have an additional coach, we've just been operating with the bare minimum for a long time.
Posted by: grimps, November 14, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 11
I cant see how this will help , I doubt Slade has asked for help in coaching so it'll undermine his position
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 14, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 12
Cant imagine any chairman appointing a new member of the coaching staff without the request or approval from the manager.

Think Slades asked for this.
Posted by: jaygy, November 14, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 13
He's been knocking on the door to try and get into full time coaching/managing for a long time and fully deserves his chance to work with a pro team imo. He's certainly not the sort of person to hold back if he's not happy with something so hopefully wil kick a few players into gear as I think Wilko and Slade seem like very laid back characters
Posted by: Cloudy, November 14, 2017, 11:02am; Reply: 14
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I'm not sure this will be a good appointment. A quick look at his social media will show you it is likely to be interesting though.

Has a reputation in Hull as being a loose cannon. 'Interesting' is one word for the adventure
Posted by: Tommy, November 14, 2017, 11:07am; Reply: 15
Quoted from jaygy
He's been knocking on the door to try and get into full time coaching/managing for a long time and fully deserves his chance to work with a pro team imo. He's certainly not the sort of person to hold back if he's not happy with something so hopefully wil kick a few players into gear as I think Wilko and Slade seem like very laid back characters

He's seemed to want to get into Management rather than Coaching though. So this seems a strange one based on that, although for him personally it's a foot in the door at a FL Club i guess.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 14, 2017, 11:07am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Cloudy
RH suggesting Woodhouse set to join GTFC as first team coach!!

Hope he knocks a few out in training

Won't that leave him a bit tired?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 14, 2017, 11:07am; Reply: 17

Thats the way its going, and i don't see it a bad thing.

At least you can put questions to a first team coach direct
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 14, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Thats the way its going, and i don't see it a bad thing.

At least you can put questions to a first team coach direct

I'd like to see the club be professional and employ professionals.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 14, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 19
Interesting. Wonder who suggested it though. Hope it works out, at least he's ex-Town and very passionate.

Now get Diz back in some coaching capacity and start some kind of 'bootroom' where we could possibly start promoting within. (Not that it's on the cards of course, not for a bit..)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 14, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 20
Good appointment for me, the fact he engaged in two sports at elite level will mean he has great experience of a variety of different training methods. I can only see this as a good thing.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 14, 2017, 11:19am; Reply: 21
It's worth a try. Slade wasn't happy being given a more backseat role at Cardiff as I recall. I'd have thought a large part of his current job is to coach the first team. Given his recruitment so far he could do with a bit of help in that area too!
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 22
It's a shame we can't bring him on to take set pieces.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 23
Quoted from RoboCod
Interesting. Wonder who suggested it though. Hope it works out, at least he's ex-Town and very passionate.

Now get Diz back in some coaching capacity and start some kind of 'bootroom' where we could possibly start promoting within. (Not that it's on the cards of course, not for a bit..)

Woods,Rodger,Groves YOU SURE :-/
Posted by: Maringer, November 14, 2017, 12:06pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RoboCod

Well, yeah, he's passionate, but passionate about boxing, not football!

I suppose his boxing days are behind him now. In his autobiography, he mentioned that he owed a lot to Slade from his time at Sheffield United and this is why he joined us before instead of just going into boxing a season earlier. Would definitely be Slade's recommendation/appointment.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 14, 2017, 12:13pm; Reply: 25
Confirms what we know Slade does not know enough about coaching and needs help so he can focus on the Power Point stuff, adding a coach will not hurt, whether or not this is the right one remains to be seen.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2017, 12:18pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from pontoonlew
By First Team Coach, I'm guessing I'm not the only one confused as that's the new modern name for 'manager'.

No no, you misunderstood.

They're taking his teeth out and putting seats in

OK its an oldie but...

I'll get me coat.

Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, November 14, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 27
Is this the beginning of the end for slade?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from bigbadmarinerbob
Is this the beginning of the end for slade?

Be quite a relief for RS if a disgruntled fan attacks him in the dugout he can let Woodhouse do his stuff.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 14, 2017, 12:28pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from golfer

Washing Fenty's car instead of Woodford and Dixon

What ??????

Are you saying that Wilkinson washes Woodford and Dixon. Now that is just spoiling them.  ;)  
Posted by: topuphere666, November 14, 2017, 12:34pm; Reply: 30
He’ll have a great understanding around fitness from both sports he’s been part of. Certainly a good move by the club.
Posted by: psgmariner, November 14, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 31
He is famous for taking on the keyboard warriors and even tracking one down and trying to confront one of them in person. Exciting times ahead on the fishy...
Posted by: Sigone, November 14, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 32
He's just tweeted hes not going to Grimsby
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 12:44pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from psgmariner
He is famous for taking on the keyboard warriors and even tracking one down and trying to confront one of them in person. Exciting times ahead on the fishy...

Swin says he`s in training ;D
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Sigone
He's just tweeted hes not going to Grimsby

Don`t tell me we won`t pay the £50 extra for fuel?
Posted by: Sigone, November 14, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 35
Official GTFC Statement:-
Grimsby Town Football Club wish to curtail any speculation regarding the appointment of Curtis Woodhouse purported by Matt Dean of Radio Humberside.

Matt's inappropriate speculation that Curtis was joining the club as First Team Coach is wide of the mark.

At the request of Curtis, he was welcomed to Cheapside to witness a First Team training session to gain an insight and experience to help progress his own career.

If Radio Humberside had taken the time to properly research and report on this, they would have realised that this speculation is unfounded and undermines the current management staff at the club.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 14, 2017, 12:48pm; Reply: 36
Another dickish statement from the club.  Mistakes happen, matts a good reporter, just made an error
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2017, 12:49pm; Reply: 37
Seems a bit needlessly sensitive!
Posted by: Cloudy, November 14, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Sigone
Grimsby Town Football Club wish to curtail any speculation regarding the appointment of Curtis Woodhouse purported by Matt Dean of Radio Humberside.

Matt's inappropriate speculation that Curtis was joining the club as First Team Coach is wide of the mark.

At the request of Curtis, he was welcomed to Cheapside to witness a First Team training session to gain an insight and experience to help progress his own career.

If Radio Humberside had taken the time to properly research and report on this, they would have realised that this speculation is unfounded and undermines the current management staff at the club.

Appalling response IMO.

Matt Dean was speculating as virtually every media source does. To issue such an aggressive response is uncalled for IMO and sums up the clubs failure to engage with the fans through the media (or directly).

The only media they seem to support is GY Tel and that is because they have them gagged and wrapped around Fentys finger.

How come they can respond within a couple of hours of this speculation yet we still await ANY comment on Stevenage's statement re 'Bragate' or the attendance at last weeks Checkertrade Trophy.

Keep on driving the wedge Town
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 12:55pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Hagrid
Another dickish statement from the club.  Mistakes happen, matts a good reporter, just made an error

To be fair I think the Club are right it`s surely typical lazy journalism at best.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 14, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 40
That is good news!
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 14, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Sigone

Perhaps Matt should comment on Bra-gate and the EFL.  Lets see if the club would be so quick to issue a statement on that matter !!!!!!!

FFS
Posted by: mariner91, November 14, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 42
Oh look, another dickish piece of PR from the club.
Posted by: grimps, November 14, 2017, 1:00pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from 1mickylyons

To be fair I think the Club are right it`s surely typical lazy journalism at best.

I thought the same , Slade would have been gone if Woodhouse had come in
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 14, 2017, 1:04pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The club are right to issue a statement. They are right to point out that it was bad journalism.  But did they need to do it in such a tone ??
For a club that is getting a lot of bad press amongst it's own supporters regarding it's PR, this sort of statement doesn't help.
Posted by: oldun, November 14, 2017, 1:04pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mariner91

No it is not. A reporter made a mistake. The club have responded to put the record straight. Perfectly fine. In any case I cannot see the board sanctioning any more "Chiefs".
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2017, 1:05pm; Reply: 46
John Fenty is a pathetic baby. Can't wait to fire out a statement having a pop at Radio Humberside (who provide a much better standard of coverage for the club than the telegraph by about a million miles), yet still weirdly silent on issues like the EFL Stevenage whitewash and fan criticism of the Checkatrade Trophy. The sooner this tone deaf squatter and his ancient benign loans are pried away from the club, the better.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Sigone

I don't think the club need any help in that regard they manage to do that themselves daily
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, November 14, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 48
An absolute cuntish statement.
Posted by: lukeo, November 14, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 49
Sorry but I think the club have been rude and foolish in this statement. Quick to jump at the gun and go down Matts throat but hide behind the curtains with any sort of statement about Stevenage. All they had to do is a small statement to say it's not true.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 14, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from oldun

No it is not. A reporter made a mistake. The club have responded to put the record straight. Perfectly fine. In any case I cannot see the board sanctioning any more "Chiefs".

It's perfectly possible to make a simple statement which declares Woodhouse was invited along to training but will not be joining the club as a 'First Team Coach' without the petty tacked on nonsense about Radio Humberside failing to 'properly research and report on this'. But you know, that would require the club to be run by someone who isn't akin to a tinpot dictator, and the club's PR & Press Officer to be actually competent and in the job for a reason other than being Fenty's mate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 14, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Civvy at last

The club are right to issue a statement. They are right to point out that it was bad journalism.  But did they need to do it in such a tone ??
For a club that is getting a lot of bad press amongst it's own supporters regarding it's PR, this sort of statement doesn't help.

Completely agree.

I suppose at least for once the club get a statement out in a timely fashion. And regardless of the fact that lots of journalists speculate, all Dean had to do was pick up the phone and ask. I'm sick of lazy journalism, and I'd expect better from the BBC (if  I hadn't got so used to them doing similar things for years).

PS glad that Woodhouse isn't coming. Sounds a bit of a loose cannon.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 14, 2017, 1:22pm; Reply: 52
They didn't even need to do a statement.

Its the media with speculation... thats what they do, its their job?
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, November 14, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 53
Journalist tweets without checking for facts, turns out he's wrong, club issue a statement and it's STILL JF'S FAULT? How on earth do you work that one out?
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 14, 2017, 1:30pm; Reply: 54
Rash and unprofessional response from GTFC yet again.

Matt Dean is a bloody good journalist and doesn't deserve to be publicly humiliated for making a mistake (he was only doing his job).

I like how they can put a statement out about a mistake from a local journalist but not about Stevenage.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 14, 2017, 1:34pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails
Journalist tweets without checking for facts, turns out he's wrong, club issue a statement and it's STILL JF'S FAULT? How on earth do you work that one out?

IF Matt Dean had contacted the club and it were true, do you think they would have told him, even with the proviso of keeping it stum?

No they wouldnt, because JF has a downright hatred for RH and the Clee Chroncile before their demise!

Why?

Simply because they have questioned some things about the club and the way it is run!

Simple as!!
Posted by: Bigdog, November 14, 2017, 1:53pm; Reply: 56

Grimsby Town Football Club wish to end any speculation regarding the appointment of Curtis Woodhouse reported by a local media outlet.

At the request of Curtis, he was welcomed to Cheapside to witness a First Team training session to gain an insight and experience to help progress his own career and will not be joining the club.

That above is what the statement should have said. No finger pointing, no public dressing down and it would have actually gained a bit of goodwill in the bank from RH and Matt Dean rather than make it so vitriolic.

But no, there's a member of staff at GTFC that's finally rammed home an open goal. Where's the common decency? Reporter speculates about player, coach or manager at a football club. Big shock. We all want the transfer speculation off him in the transfer window don't we?

No finesse, no thinking, no class in that statement. That sums up the PR standard at the club for me.

On top of that, Matt is a mild-mannered diehard Town fan and a thoroughly good bloke.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 2:00pm; Reply: 57

Well sorry mate but I wouldn`t have expected anything else from our PR department it`s clashed with various media outlets for a long time so it isn`t a surprise to me. :-/
Posted by: davmariner, November 14, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 58
No need for a statement.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 14, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 59
It's the age of Twitter journalism, hear something and Tweet it in case it's true. If it's not, no major deal, not like you've wired it to Reuters is it?
Response is laughable though, hardly up there with sexual molestation other recent incidents.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 14, 2017, 2:10pm; Reply: 60
It's maybe not the best bit of journalism ever but the response shows exactly why the club is so out of touch. This is so typical of the current regime and epitomises the normal knee jerk response you would expect from John Fenty.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 14, 2017, 2:13pm; Reply: 61
Bully hits back!
Posted by: GrimRob, November 14, 2017, 2:28pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A speculative tweet is hardly journalism!
Posted by: kamakazebear, November 14, 2017, 2:57pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

Agreed. A steward could fart too loudly in the direction of a fan and half of this board would be blaming it on JF. Get a grip.
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2017, 3:31pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from psgmariner

TA  TA
Posted by: Bigdog, November 14, 2017, 3:36pm; Reply: 65
Tweet 930456211434213376 will appear here...

(boxer)
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, November 14, 2017, 3:46pm; Reply: 66
No smoke without fire as they say
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 14, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from GrimRob
It's worth a try. Slade wasn't happy being given a more backseat role at Cardiff as I recall. I'd have thought a large part of his current job is to coach the first team. Given his recruitment so far he could do with a bit of help in that area too!

I'm not that optimistic about anybody he brings in. :-/
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 14, 2017, 3:49pm; Reply: 68
I think the statement shows that the club recognises "poor" journalism and can respond accordingly, if they get a question regarding crowds or treatment of fans put in a proper way they are absolutely knackered and confused, so I am not surprised at their response.
Posted by: tarka, November 14, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 69
I've always found Matt Dean to be a decent bloke and a more than competent journalist. Whatever the truth may be, journalists will always speculate - it's part of their job! It certainly isn't their job to be a mouthpiece for the Club. As others have said previously, all the Club had to state was that there was no truth in the rumour. Simple really, and an example of their naivety and inability in terms of public relations.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 14, 2017, 4:45pm; Reply: 70
Just stop going to the games , that is the only way to force change . All the debating won't change anything ,never does .....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 14, 2017, 5:04pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from fleabag1970
Just stop going to the games , that is the only way to force change . All the debating won't change anything ,never does .....

I won't stop going to games because I think the club is badly run. I started going to BP long before the Fenty years and suspect/expect I'll be still going after he's gone.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 5:13pm; Reply: 72
Well i think the club statement was ok to be fair, if Matt Dean had put it up as a rumour then fair enough but he did include "I expect this to happen" which is a little more explicit than general speculation...so the club were quite firm in their response as Matt Deans tweet had already caused a 6 page thread on is it the end of Slade etc...by the time they issued the denial.

Interesting though that Matt Dean is now intimating that the management team wanted it but it was blocked at a higher level.....we have heard similar twice in very recent history ....

i can only see another public JF/RH spat coming up over this.....best get a replacement commentary team in place for the I-Player service as i can smell a ban coming up !!
Posted by: Badger57, November 14, 2017, 5:45pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from moosey_club

Interesting though that Matt Dean is now intimating that the management team wanted it but it was blocked at a higher level.....we have heard similar twice in very recent history

Oh goodie! A fallout between our manager and our "benign" benefactor? Maybe we'll get a Slade free Christmas after all! :)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 14, 2017, 5:50pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Badger57

Oh goodie! A fallout between our manager and our "benign" benefactor? Maybe we'll get a Slade free Christmas after all! :)

No - Noddy and the boys will be played on most days  :)
Posted by: Badger57, November 14, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No - Noddy and the boys will be played on most days  :)

I guess so. :(
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 14, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 76
"Blocked at a higher level" is our non chairman God in disguise?
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2017, 6:15pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from friskneymariner

Out of the door I hope.
Great player but,,,,
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 6:24pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Gaffer58
"Blocked at a higher level" is our non chairman God in disguise?

at a higher level ...that would have to be the board in this case wouldnt it ?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 79
Matt Dean has just reiterated on Radio Humberside that his "well informed and reliable source" tells him that Slade wanted Woodhouse in but it was blocked at a higher level.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 14, 2017, 6:32pm; Reply: 80
I havent given any praise to slade since he came in but at least he was being proactive and trying something different. But once again those in charge stop us moving forward. Pathetic
Posted by: Garth, November 14, 2017, 6:37pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from TAGG

Out of the door I hope.
Great player but,,,,

Wilco`s teams scores more goals and plays better football than Slade`s selection
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 14, 2017, 6:58pm; Reply: 82
Dean may have gone too early with his story, but the club Statement (I get the same feeling when I see the phrase "Official Club Statement" as when I see an envelope from HMRC) was either unnecessary, or needlessly po-faced.

They could have either left the story alone, knowing it would fizzle out and that Matt Dean would have to explain his duff intel, OR they could have had a few low-key twitter updates from Cheapside or fed a few lines to the Grimsby Telegraph along the lines of "It's a Knockout?  Not quite!  We're happy to have Curtis over for a few training sessions while he goes through his coaching badges, and we know he's a fans' favourite, but there's nothing formal on the cards at the moment so sorry if everyone was getting a bit excited.  More news and interviews from training to follow on iPlayer."

Where the club could cultivate relationships and build bridges, they instead choose to admonish.  Where they could use humour and engagement, they use blunt rebuttal.  Where they could be friendly and magnanimous, they choose to be spiky and priggish.  Same as I was saying yesterday, even ignoring money, the people at the top just don't have an emotionally intelligent braincell between them.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), November 14, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 83
My Guess is that they’d discussed it and said nothing to his current club which would land Fenty and Curtis in the Poo!!

Also, was Wilko aware of his presence at the Training ground.

I honestly thought that, for one moment, I had got home from work to discover Slade had gone!!! Gutted to find out he is still here.

Curtis in charge?? Is he ready, I don’t know? But right now, I’d be happy with Ronald McDonald instead of these Clowns!!

I can see the tide turning on Fenty quite sharply too, like never before.

Posted by: rancido, November 14, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from mariner91

More like a bit of damaging speculation on the part of the reporter. IMO the response from the club was correct.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 7:40pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from 1542
My Guess is that they’d discussed it and said nothing to his current club which would land Fenty and Curtis in the Poo!!

Also, was Wilko aware of his presence at the Training ground.

I honestly thought that, for one moment, I had got home from work to discover Slade had gone!!! Gutted to find out he is still here.

Curtis in charge?? Is he ready, I don’t know? But right now, I’d be happy with Ronald McDonald instead of these Clowns!!

I can see the tide turning on Fenty quite sharply too, like never before.

ermmm.....Isnt Ronald McDonald also a clown ??.....also seeing the size of his shoes imagine the hoofball that would bring ...
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 14, 2017, 7:43pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from moosey_club

ermmm.....Isnt Ronald McDonald also a clown ??.....also seeing the size of his shoes imagine the hoofball that would bring ...

Yeah, but at least the catering would improve 🍟🍔🍔
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 14, 2017, 7:52pm; Reply: 87
The quick (and very strong) denial from the club seems to have been made to refute that the proposed appointment "had legs". Which was blocked at senior level.  Another club own-goal though.  

Maybe Fenty did not want to be issuing a statement tonight when the "highlights" of the World Cup qualifiers are being shown.  The last 6 matches have all been 0-0.  This should remind him of Town's last 3 home games.    
Posted by: Squinter, November 14, 2017, 8:00pm; Reply: 88
Stinks of speculative journalism to me.  I thought the BBC was to be impartial and state facts not rush around like a child that can't keep a secret and wanting to be the first to tell everybody.  If that's how he thinks journalism should be he look more towards the tabloids
Posted by: mariner91, November 14, 2017, 8:28pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from rancido

More like a bit of damaging speculation on the part of the reporter. IMO the response from the club was correct.

Absolutely not. By all means deny the report but why do it in such a hostile, aggressive and personal manner? Makes you look sensitive and unprofessional. As others have said they could have simply put that it wasn't true and he'd only been to the training ground instead of damaging relations with a local news agency further.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 14, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 90
Matt Dean should know by now that fishy members , and only fishy members , are allowed to put speculative rumours out on social media .
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 14, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 91
Seems that Matt Dean is sticking to his guns that the appointment was going to happen and didn't due to the lack of board approval. Interesting tweet from Adrian Durham at Talksport to say he understands that to be the case as well.

Looks like it's actually pretty good journalism.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 14, 2017, 8:38pm; Reply: 92
The rumour gathered so much momentum I believe the club were right to make a statement.  However I think the personal attack was far from necessary. A simple statement that Woodhouse is working towards his coaching badges would have done.
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 93
Seems that Matt Dean is sticking to his guns that the appointment was going to happen and didn't due to the lack of board approval. Interesting tweet from Adrian Durham at Talksport to say he understands that to be the case as well.

Well we should know the definitive answer by tomorrow from  the trust members if it was a board level decision 👍
Posted by: oldun, November 14, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 94
Matt's first tweet says "he understands Curtis Woodhouse is being offered the position of coach"'. Clearly that was not true.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 14, 2017, 8:45pm; Reply: 95
Tbh gtfc  as a whole are pissing me right off atm , I mean excrement football dinosaur manager and inept non chairman who issues the most shocking statements  is making even thinking about town depressing.
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from oldun
Matt's first tweet says "he understands Curtis Woodhouse is being offered the position of coach"'. Clearly that was not true.

Slade may have offered him the job thinking he can do what the fook he wants with his best mate being upstairs??
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 8:52pm; Reply: 97

Yeah, but at least the catering would improve 🍟🍔🍔

Not for us veggies !!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 98

because Adrian Durham never talks sh!t does he ??  ;D

The more i think the more i feel that perhaps we have strongly denied it to avoid issues from CW's current employers ?? Matt Dean may have scuppered a deal by breaking it too early.
I am sure if Matt Dean or any of the RH team are allowed anywhere near Slade in the near future they will be asking the question directly.
Posted by: Grim74, November 14, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 99
I like Matt But with Fenty on this one, seems Matt was wrong and should of apologised end off.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 14, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 100
Maybe if fenty didn't scrimp on a first team coach from the get go this shambles wouldn't be happening .
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), November 14, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 101
My behind this was Matt Dean’s poor judgement!!

Everything about the leadership at our Club is Toxic at the moment!!

Waiting for a football fortune??!! I’m waiting to be fortunate enough to watch you leave!! All about your ego!!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 14, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 102
What i don't understand is how Woodhouse could have been ready to come on board according to Matt Dean, but was then denied by the board. Surely if Slade wanted Woodhouse to be first team coach, he would have got the go ahead first? Something doesn't add up.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 14, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 103
Yes you don't offer someone a job but then say I need to get approval first ?

Strange .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 14, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Grim74
I like Matt But with Fenty on this one, seems Matt was wrong and should of apologised end off.

If Matt Dean broke this story then it had substance.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 14, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from ginnywings
What i don't understand is how Woodhouse could have been ready to come on board according to Matt Dean, but was then denied by the board. Surely if Slade wanted Woodhouse to be fist team coach, he would have got the go ahead first? Something doesn't add up.

Is it possible people within the club aren't great at communicating with each other?
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 14, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 106
Matt Dean is a good journalist and obviously was given inside information before that information was given the green light by John Jong un the board.

The response is over top and is very snidey, not professional at all. The club needs to go on a course of how to win friends and influence people.

Another gaff that smacks of how the club is run, by someone who lacks social skills.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2017, 10:20pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Maybe if fenty didn't scrimp on a first team coach from the get go this shambles wouldn't be happening .

Do you have any evidence or know of any previous comments that indicate a first team coach has ever been requested "in the first place" ?
I cant ever recall that position ever being mentioned anywhere by anybody in connection with GTFC under any regime.

Posted by: Tommy, November 14, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from moosey_club

Do you have any evidence or know of any previous comments that indicate a first team coach has ever been requested "in the first place" ?
I cant ever recall that position ever being mentioned anywhere by anybody in connection with GTFC under any regime.

I reckon the last time we had a First Team Coach (as a separate role in addition to the Assistant Manager) was, ironically, Paul Wilkinson himself under Lennie and then Groves, up until we dropped out of the Championship.
Posted by: davmariner, November 14, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 109
Sounds to me as if Dean's tweet touched a nerve with those at the top. Wouldn't be surprised if there's been a disagreement of some kind about bringing Woodhouse in between Slade and the board hence the passive aggressive, quick statement from the club.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 14, 2017, 11:29pm; Reply: 110
Just a thought. Given that we know Curtis is a bit of a loose cannon, is it possible that he is Matt deans source and that Curtis thought there was more to the situation than there actually was?
Posted by: Skrill, November 14, 2017, 11:44pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Grim74

Quoted from MuddyWaters

Posted by: Cloudy, November 15, 2017, 6:40am; Reply: 112
Quoted from Squinter
Stinks of speculative journalism to me.  I thought the BBC was to be impartial and state facts not rush around like a child that can't keep a secret and wanting to be the first to tell everybody.  If that's how he thinks journalism should be he look more towards the tabloids

This isn't the 1950's.

BBC news is akin to tabloid journalism and has been for many years.

Suggesting the BBC don't do speculative journalism is one of the funniest things I've read on this very sorry saga
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 15, 2017, 7:34am; Reply: 113
I guess this incident sums up the state of GTFC at the moment.  Everyone is down, and as a consequence everyone is on the defensive.  Newell, Hurst etc and Bignot towards the end seemed to sense the negativity.  With the exception of Op Promotion and the Wembley week (even the play offs leading up to it were edgy) the club just hasn't generated any positivity.  The fans generated their own bit at the away games in the Conference, but even that never carried to BP.
I think that both sides in this have over reacted. Towns initial statement slagging off Matt in the way they did. A simple statement saying that Curtis would not be joining, followed by a private phone call to Matt should have sufficed.  For his part, Matt should just have said that he had been given information to the contrary and left it at that.  He hasn't helped, although I can understand he feels wronged.  The best way ahead in my book would be for both parties to have a meeting, clear the air, and put out a joint statement agreeing to put the incident behind them and move on.

GTFC at the moment it totally flat.  Unless some kind of a mega signing in January happens (and I wouldn't think that's realistic to expect or demand), we are just going to plod on to the end of the season.  Unless great news regarding the new stadium happens before the start of next season, the board of GTFC need to sit down and try to figure out how to put the spark back.  And before people start saying that that would happen if JF left, it wouldn't, at least not for a while. Sorting out GTFC isn't going to happen overnight and I don't believe it will happen this season.  But there needs to be changes of how the club operates and it needs to be relatively soon.  It's getting harder for clubs outside the Prem to attract youngsters through the gate and we are no exception.  Upsetting the local media is not going to help and I would love to see the club be the bigger man and be the first to offer the olive branch to Humberside.  I won't hold my breath.

I think that the supporters of my generation, to use a sensitive phrase, have been 'spoiled'. In the Championship and playing the likes of Man City, Chelsea, West Ham etc etc was above our weight.  But the club is big enough and deserves better than what it has at the moment.  We just need to somehow reverse the downward spiral into an upward one.  It can be done, I honestly believe that.  But if we wait too much longer I genuinely feel it could end up terminal. The new ground is imperative IMHO.  We are back in the League and that was a big step.  Lets hope we take the next one soon.

UTM
Posted by: Croxton, November 15, 2017, 8:12am; Reply: 114
Spot on Civvy. Even if CW was the source what was Dean trying to achieve? If there is 'breaking news' let the club do it. Constantly thinking that a journos job is to be first with news leads to member ups like this.
He got it wrong over  booinggate trying to make a whole phone in about players being booed when that was not the case. Just hold your horses and verify first.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 15, 2017, 10:32am; Reply: 115
I guess this incident sums up the state of GTFC at the moment.  Everyone is down, and as a consequence everyone is on the defensive.  Newell, Hurst etc and Bignot towards the end seemed to sense the negativity.  With the exception of Op Promotion and the Wembley week (even the play offs leading up to it were edgy) the club just hasn't generated any positivity.  The fans generated their own bit at the away games in the Conference, but even that never carried to BP.
I think that both sides in this have over reacted. Towns initial statement slagging off Matt in the way they did. A simple statement saying that Curtis would not be joining, followed by a private phone call to Matt should have sufficed.  For his part, Matt should just have said that he had been given information to the contrary and left it at that.  He hasn't helped, although I can understand he feels wronged.  The best way ahead in my book would be for both parties to have a meeting, clear the air, and put out a joint statement agreeing to put the incident behind them and move on.

GTFC at the moment it totally flat.  Unless some kind of a mega signing in January happens (and I wouldn't think that's realistic to expect or demand), we are just going to plod on to the end of the season.  Unless great news regarding the new stadium happens before the start of next season, the board of GTFC need to sit down and try to figure out how to put the spark back.  And before people start saying that that would happen if JF left, it wouldn't, at least not for a while. Sorting out GTFC isn't going to happen overnight and I don't believe it will happen this season.  But there needs to be changes of how the club operates and it needs to be relatively soon.  It's getting harder for clubs outside the Prem to attract youngsters through the gate and we are no exception.  Upsetting the local media is not going to help and I would love to see the club be the bigger man and be the first to offer the olive branch to Humberside.  I won't hold my breath.

I think that the supporters of my generation, to use a sensitive phrase, have been 'spoiled'. In the Championship and playing the likes of Man City, Chelsea, West Ham etc etc was above our weight.  But the club is big enough and deserves better than what it has at the moment.  We just need to somehow reverse the downward spiral into an upward one.  It can be done, I honestly believe that.  But if we wait too much longer I genuinely feel it could end up terminal. The new ground is imperative IMHO.  We are back in the League and that was a big step.  Lets hope we take the next one soon.

UTM

I read countless posts like this and agree with every word and then I feel very frustrated that the so so obvious answer to a lot of these problems is overlooked by the Club and possibly by some of the fans.Genuine dialogue between the Club and the fans (Trust) would get rid of 90% of these spats,people be it Wraith,Fenty,Dean whoever can`t just keep coming out with random ill thought out statements without expecting a backlash. Far better to send out a measured statement or a scathing one with facts ala the Trust and the response to bra gate which spoke for the full body.PR has been a problem for a long time for GTFC yet when the supporters have been involved OP etc it`s largely been a success.The fans want to support the team they want to support the Club but they don`t want taking for granted HELLO is anyone flipping listening?
Posted by: Cloudy, November 15, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 116
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I read countless posts like this and agree with every word and then I feel very frustrated that the so so obvious answer to a lot of these problems is overlooked by the Club and possibly by some of the fans.Genuine dialogue between the Club and the fans (Trust) would get rid of 90% of these spats,people be it Wraith,Fenty,Dean whoever can`t just keep coming out with random ill thought out statements without expecting a backlash. Far better to send out a measured statement or a scathing one with facts ala the Trust and the response to bra gate which spoke for the full body.PR has been a problem for a long time for GTFC yet when the supporters have been involved OP etc it`s largely been a success.The fans want to support the team they want to support the Club but they don`t want taking for granted HELLO is anyone flipping listening?

Somebody who was a huge ally to the club suggested to them that they should employ a suitably qualified PR professional and that he/she would return the cost of their salary in spades.

Result; ostracised from the club!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 15, 2017, 11:05am; Reply: 117
Why does the last post not surprise me?   Assuming that it is true.

No dissent within the club is allowed.  The way the club is run is the sporting equivalent of North Korea.  Only one view is allowed - all other views are seen as wrong.  No wonder the flag was deconstructed.  These behaviours and attitudes are very unhealthy for all concerned with GTFC. And barriers to progress.
Posted by: oldun, November 15, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 118
Mountains out of molehills. Probably caused by the negative effect of the on field performances means same fans will moan about anything. Having said RH should report news not create it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 15, 2017, 11:45am; Reply: 119

UTM

A very good post and sums up what a lot of us feel.

What we really need is new investment and a new start; sadly I think that might be a pipe dream too so I am hoping Russ can get the team firing  on half a cylinder sometime soon.
Posted by: topuphere666, November 15, 2017, 11:49am; Reply: 120
Has anyone seen the new statement. We’re a joke!
Posted by: davmariner, November 15, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 121
Embarrassing. Fenty out!!
Posted by: Cloudy, November 15, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 122
Quoted from topuphere666
Has anyone seen the new statement. We’re a joke!

Starting to think it is a deliberate attempt to bring about total destruction.

What is the Trust Directors take/involvement in this matter?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 123
Oh my days. Just cringeworthy.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 15, 2017, 12:06pm; Reply: 124
Oh my god yet another statement this is becoming comedy gold
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 15, 2017, 12:09pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Cloudy

Starting to think it is a deliberate attempt to bring about total destruction.

What is the Trust Directors take/involvement in this matter?

It appears they have no say in communication matters or for that matter in any matters ... sorry to form that opinion but that’s how it looks
Posted by: Cloudy, November 15, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Oh my god yet another statement this is becoming comedy gold

The thing is I can no longer laugh at them. It is absolutely destroying the club and will only reduce in a further downturn in attendances as the relationship between the 'controller' and the community is totally destroyed.

I am very very angry at the manner in which the club is being run
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 15, 2017, 12:24pm; Reply: 127
Fenty has gone power mad. For the good of the club he needs removing immediately - these crackpot statements clearly show he isn't fit to run it sensibly. What an utter clown.
Posted by: Garth, November 15, 2017, 12:34pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fake news! the World feeds on it
Posted by: Bigdog, November 15, 2017, 12:41pm; Reply: 129
I've seen a playground squabble handled better by a five year old.

Half decent at balancing the books and that's it. Totally incompetent in every other area of running a football club for fifteen years.

We are doomed if there's not radical change.

League Two, four promotion places and two relegation places. How come I believe we'll end up being one of the two before even getting close to the four.

Look at JF's record. Look at it from start to finish. Relegations, non-league, no cup runs, shite football, shite managerial appointments, shite methodology, lack of caring and empathy for the fans, shite PR, no new investment, no new stadium. Pah!  It's a litany of failure.

How can the fans have any faith in him taking OUR club forward, if he can't execute simple bits of PR, and that's after 15 years in the job.

We may not go down this season (and that's not a given), but it'll only be a matter of time with falling gates..

If you look at comments from fans of virtually every other club in this league before we play them, they say.. we should beat Grimsby, it's embarrassing.

I'm just picturing that ivory tower with JF, SW and DL getting higher and higher..

I've never been so out of love with GTFC.. fooking really hurts too..

It may be one spat, but it represents everything that the club is about nowadays..
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 15, 2017, 12:41pm; Reply: 130
This is insane. These statements are a complete, toe curling embarrassment. This is Donald Trump on Twitter level of behaviour.

I'm not going to make accusations as I don't want to be accused of libel / slander (not even sure how that works) but lets just say I can't believe for one moment that it's the Grimsby Town PR people putting these statements out.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 15, 2017, 12:44pm; Reply: 131
'kin hell. A total unnecessary circus about something so trivial.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Curtis Woodhouse is announced as a new member of staff next week.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, November 15, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 132
The fact is, Matt Dean made a statement which was factually incorrect, Dean then sort of tried to change his story to Curtis was going to be appointed as a coach but the board didn't approve. At that point fans took that at face value and believed Dean's new account of what was going on. Now the club are saying that isn't true either. I for one would want to know the actual facts and it looks like that is what they are saying today.    .  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 12:50pm; Reply: 133
Surely if it's not true then you pick up the phone to Matt Dean and ask him to retract the story?
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2017, 12:50pm; Reply: 134
The saddest thing for me is that i don't really care much anymore. I don't even know who/where we are playing on Saturday, i'm that disinterested. My heart sank when we re-appointed Slade, but i thought, as i usually do, let's give him a shot and see if he can get us going -always the optimist where Town are concerned, until recently that is. When something starts to become a chore, done purely out of habit, then you start to look around and ask if it's something you want to carry on doing. I have a season ticket, so will trundle on until the end of the season, but......
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, November 15, 2017, 12:50pm; Reply: 135
and during this spat Saturday's probable home attendance moves even lower....
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 15, 2017, 12:50pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
The fact is, Matt Dean made a statement which was factually incorrect, Dean then sort of tried to change his story to Curtis was going to be appointed as a coach but the board didn't approve. At that point fans took that at face value and believed Dean's new account of what was going on. Now the club are saying that isn't true either. I for one would want to know the actual facts and it looks like that is what they are saying today.    .  

This isn't the issue. I don't believe fans have a problem with speculative reporting and an official denial from the club. The problem is the tone and wording of the statements, which are... well, hard to believe they're put out as official statements. The club should be setting the high ground on these situations, not resorting to little more than childish name calling.

Quoted from ginnywings
The saddest thing for me is that i don't really care much anymore. I don't even know who/where we are playing on Saturday, i'm that disinterested. My heart sank when we re-appointed Slade, but i thought, as i usually do, let's give him a shot and see if he can get us going -always the optimist where Town are concerned, until recently that is. When something starts to become a chore, done purely out of habit, then you start to look around and ask if it's something you want to carry on doing. I have a season ticket, so will trundle on until the end of the season, but......

I may not have been a long term town supporter (approx 10 years) but I'm feeling the same. After Bignot went, I stopped following the changes to the squad and stopped even checking up on results. Last time I saw us play (away at Cheltenham.. which admittedly was a win, and I thought we played pretty well and deserved the win) I genuinely had no idea who 2/3's of the squad were.. I'm totally out of touch with the team now.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2017, 12:55pm; Reply: 137
The second tweet was an attempt to claw back credibility. The problem is every media outlet is treated like Pravda and spoon fed eulogistic pieces. If they make a mistake they are punished, like the infamous ambulance story where a reporter was banned from BP and the Humberside ban. They'll probably get another one because of this.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 15, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from ginnywings

This post sums it up for me.

Ginny, a loyal fan and a veteran of nearly 20k posts feels this way. If there ever was a barometer to show how much trouble the club is in, this is it..
Posted by: RoboCod, November 15, 2017, 1:06pm; Reply: 139
Just read it. Our own Donald Trump, more keen on making enemies than winning friends. Fenty must loathe Radio Humbs going by the lack of effort to build bridges with them over the past few seasons.
Also  "he would have been appraised with the correct facts " sounds wonky English but at least no schoolboy typo's this time.
Just dumb move after dumb move, I'm hoping we've now hit rock bottom but not totally convinced.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 15, 2017, 1:28pm; Reply: 140
It's like living in flipping North Korea, embarrassing, totally embarrassing.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 15, 2017, 1:33pm; Reply: 141
Seems to be a "Let them eat cake" attitude at BP at the moment. Abunker mentality has set in and is doing nobody any favours.

It's not just the Fishy that's speculating about sources / who's right / JF out etc Facebook is awash with it. Assume I'm getting loads of posts from Town fans I've never heard of because of an alogorithm somewhere that says JDT goes on the Fishy a lot. None of the stuff on FB is complimentary, and without the filters the message to certain individuals at the club could not be more vituperate.

A suggestion for the club - for heaven's sake before you put any kind of press statement ou thtere run it past the Trust first for their comments. Let's not keep stirring up all the wrong passion and emotions about the club, it's bad enough as it is.
Posted by: TAGG, November 15, 2017, 2:34pm; Reply: 142
The next one!!!!!

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/curtis-woodhouse--more-inaccurate-reporting/
Posted by: Abdul19, November 15, 2017, 2:35pm; Reply: 143
I like his nod to his username in the last sentence.
Posted by: TAGG, November 15, 2017, 2:41pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from Abdul19
I like his nod to his username in the last sentence.

Didnt notice that 👍 😂😂😂
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 15, 2017, 2:51pm; Reply: 145
Im not sure what we GTFC are hoping to achieve with souring relationships with one of the 3 or 4 key journalists they have to work with.

A simple tweet with a photo saying something something like "Former Town Player Curtis Woodhouse returns for a couple of training sessions as he works towards his coaching badges" Would have been enough.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2017, 3:44pm; Reply: 146
The only way this could get worse now is if Matt Dean's source is revealed and shows that he was right all along.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, November 15, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 147
Seems to be a bit of a fiasco following this on Twitter today.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2017, 4:35pm; Reply: 148
Does anybody actually believe it's as the club says it is?
Posted by: Garth, November 15, 2017, 4:55pm; Reply: 149

Club says its not true, Matt jumped the gun and started speculation that would/could set seeds of doubt in the managerial staff`s future, Curtis says there is no truth in the rumor.

What bit of that makes you think that there is some sort of conspiracy theory?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2017, 5:07pm; Reply: 150

I do.

Matt Dean indicated this was going to happen ... it hasnt .....in light of any further evidence then so far Matt Dean is the one that is in the wrong.

Unless other evidence comes to light then i am quite happy with both of the club statements as i think Matt Dean was out of line circulating what he did, both initially and in his follow up.

I actually also think the second response today gives a little nudge and a wink to comedy using the get your facts right line.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 15, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 151
Can't help thinking the gap between GTFC and fans as become that much wider.

Excruciatingly embarasing from both sides you just know Fenty will now demand an apology from Dean or ban R/H he had a right swipe at Nigel Lowther only the other week now this
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 152
Didn't realise The Sun had had their say

Tweet 930780309888622594 will appear here...
Posted by: Tommy, November 15, 2017, 5:27pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Garth

Club says its not true, Matt jumped the gun and started speculation that would/could set seeds of doubt in the managerial staff`s future, Curtis says there is no truth in the rumor.

What bit of that makes you think that there is some sort of conspiracy theory?

???

What staff are you referring to?
We don't have a first team coach, so Woodhouse would have been an addition to the Coaching staff, not replacing anybody.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 15, 2017, 5:37pm; Reply: 154
Matt will hopefully get his facts right in the future before making reports of this nature.

Someone with no social skills is the type of person to say the bit in bold. The type of person who thinks they are always right and in complete control. The type of person this club doesn't need and should be dismissed from the club or voted out.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 5:41pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Marinerz93
Matt will hopefully get his facts right in the future before making reports of this nature.

Someone with no social skills is the type of person to say the bit in bold. The type of person who thinks they are always right and in complete control. The type of person this club doesn't need and should be dismissed from the club or voted out.

And how will that be achieved? (Not that I necessarily disagree with the sentiment)
Posted by: RoboCod, November 15, 2017, 5:42pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from moosey_club

I actually also think the second response today gives a little nudge and a wink to comedy using the get your facts right line.

RIP comedy (sad)
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 15, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 157
JF   thinks he really is billy big time
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 15, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And how will that be achieved? (Not that I necessarily disagree with the sentiment)

I'm sure someone on here said that directors have to be re-elected to the board, we just need to find someone on the board with a spine who can be influenced into saying no thanks.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 15, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 159
Judging by social media reaction across all platforms..

If the final score starts Grimsby Town 0 on Saturday..

The touch paper to the powder keg could be lit quite easily..

If anyone turns up..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2017, 6:24pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Didn't realise The Sun had had their say

Tweet 930780309888622594 will appear here...

Well if the Sun are wading in on Dean's side, then font must be right.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2017, 6:31pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Bigdog

If anyone turns up..

I often wonder why there hasn't been more protests from the crowd in recent years given the levels we have stooped to. I distinctly remember when i was a young fan in the Barratts, chants of sack the board or sack x manager. Despite what some say on here about how much vitriol gets chucked about, it's as nothing to how i remember it from my youth. I suppose chanting at the match was the only way of getting your disgruntlement across before social media.

Not that i am advocating mass rebellion mind.
Posted by: devs, November 15, 2017, 6:50pm; Reply: 162
This is payback time IMO against Radio Humberside
Always been a fraught relationship and this childish response - like the 'no response' over a very serious issue at Stevenage - sums up the level the club has descended to in terms of public relations

I'm a journalist and it is perfectly acceptable to write a 'rumour' story especially in an area that is not particularly sensitive and you do not run the risk of breaking the IPSO (Independent Press Standards Organisation) charter which relates to matters of privacy, intrusion into grief, and making 'libellous' claims etc etc

Matt Dean is an experienced journo who would not have even thought about writing this if he wasn't reasonably certain of his sources - according to GTFC hierarchy it's complete tosh but hey ho... it's not exactly Russian hacking scandal proportions

What an embarrassing episode for a club's management that is increasingly looking like the most amatuer organisation in the league.

Pathetic!
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 15, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 163
Sounds a bit like when we took angry and shorty from Boston to me
Posted by: heppy88, November 15, 2017, 7:09pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from Bigdog

If anyone turns up..

Totally agree with this. Never have I known such a consensus of negativity towards the GTFC hierarchy. The feel good factor has well and truly gone! Wouldn’t like to be our non chairman on Saturday, if the inevitable Slade ball performance happens. Its time the supporters had their voices heard!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 7:10pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from devs

What an embarrassing episode for a club's management that is increasingly looking like the most amatuer organisation in the league.

Pathetic!

We just continue to look very non-league in many ways. Like Ginny said, it almost makes you wonder why there's been no form of protest. Maybe we've just accepted that we are a crap club with a crap team - won't stop me going, won't stop me loving my club in spite of how it's run.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 15, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 166
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_laPcpMHXAhVoBMAKHQ82A1UQyCkIKzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKnnHprUGKF0&usg=AOvVaw2D_fKIR6Y6XakIEIWtDH3C
Posted by: TAGG, November 15, 2017, 7:16pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We just continue to look very non-league in many ways. Like Ginny said, it almost makes you wonder why there's been no form of protest. Maybe we've just accepted that we are a crap club with a crap team - won't stop me going, won't stop me loving my club in spite of how it's run.

There has been no form of protest because GTFC is a dictatorship.
If I unfurled a banner and started shouting Fenty out I and anyone else would be thrown out.
Posted by: Meza, November 15, 2017, 7:19pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from ginnywings

I often wonder why there hasn't been more protests from the crowd in recent years given the levels we have stooped to. I distinctly remember when i was a young fan in the Barratts, chants of sack the board or sack x manager. Despite what some say on here about how much vitriol gets chucked about, it's as nothing to how i remember it from my youth. I suppose chanting at the match was the only way of getting your disgruntlement across before social media.

Not that i am advocating mass rebellion mind.

i mentioned this in another thread Ginny, i seem to recall chants of sack the board when i was 18 (1988 ish), i think Furneaux was in charge then and Carr took over, but i could be completely wrong.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2017, 7:24pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Meza

i mentioned this in another thread Ginny, i seem to recall chants of sack the board when i was 18 (1988 ish), i think Furneaux was in charge then and Carr took over, but i could be completely wrong.

We deffo had a big demo outside the findus after 1 game. I might be wrong but was it after the southend game when we got relegated under Kenny swain?
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), November 15, 2017, 7:36pm; Reply: 170
The only protest that will have any impact whatsoever is a stay away protest.  There's little point in standing in front of a smoked glass window shouting and chanting about incompetence.  Even Fenty must realise that in footballing terms he's a total failure, I mean, nobody could be that much in denial.........could they?

Stay away, the collective efforts of the supporters aren't likely to devalue a product that is already worthless.
Posted by: H19P1, November 15, 2017, 7:38pm; Reply: 171
Think it's getting to that stage again ☹
Posted by: Vance Warner, November 15, 2017, 7:50pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from forza ivano

We deffo had a big demo outside the findus after 1 game. I might be wrong but was it after the southend game when we got relegated under Kenny swain?

You mean this one (from 11mins)

20 years on the town hasn't changed one bit.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 15, 2017, 7:52pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This is the big dilemma I face

First went to BP in mid sixties and have been a committed fan ever since. Despite re-election and numberous relegations I have been a supporter in every sense of the word. Even during non league I travelled home and away. Mid week fixtures at Eastleigh, Dover Barrow never deterred me.

I have NEVER questioned my support for the club until now.

I am beginning to think I have had enough and that is not down to the style of play or the Grimsby Town Nil, or even hoofball.

It is down to one mans total disregard for me and all of you. His 'management' of our club makes me cringe, he is so convinced of his own self importance it makes my blood boil.

I am teetering and that makes me feel physically sick. I never, ever thought it would come to this.

I will be there this week but after that I honestly don't know.

I have never been fickle with my attendance and support of my club and it is that which is making me wrestle with my conscience as I know once I walk i won't return.

Anyone else feeling this hurt?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 15, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Cloudy

This is the big dilemma I face

First went to BP in mid sixties and have been a committed fan ever since. Despite re-election and numberous relegations I have been a supporter in every sense of the word. Even during non league I travelled home and away. Mid week fixtures at Eastleigh, Dover Barrow never deterred me.

I have NEVER questioned my support for the club until now.

I am beginning to think I have had enough and that is not down to the style of play or the Grimsby Town Nil, or even hoofball.

It is down to one mans total disregard for me and all of you. His 'management' of our club makes me cringe, he is so convinced of his own self importance it makes my blood boil.

I am teetering and that makes me feel physically sick. I never, ever thought it would come to this.

I will be there this week but after that I honestly don't know.

I have never been fickle with my attendance and support of my club and it is that which is making me wrestle with my conscience as I know once I walk i won't return.

Anyone else feeling this hurt?

Yep - always been proud to be a Mariner but not at this moment in time. One man's disregard for the very people that have kept it afloat makes me feel that way. Gaffe after gaffe, disaster after disaster - without the fans this club would be dead in the water, somewhere out in the North Sea with our long-lost footballing fortune.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 15, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 175
Exactly as I feel Cloudycannot justify a 100 mile round trip to watch this dross.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from Vance Warner

Classic !!
Where did that Sacha Baron Cohen get his idea from ??  ;D
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 15, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from moosey_club

I do.

Matt Dean indicated this was going to happen ... it hasnt .....in light of any further evidence then so far Matt Dean is the one that is in the wrong.

Unless other evidence comes to light then i am quite happy with both of the club statements as i think Matt Dean was out of line circulating what he did, both initially and in his follow up.

That's one way of looking at it.
It could well be that Matt Dean is right and it was going to happen. Seems strange that he would be there to watch training and the club wouldn't publicise it.

I'm pleased that he's not coming, but the way it's been dealt with by the club is an embarrassment and is reaching the national press.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 15, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from Vance Warner

Always really good to see yourself on tv acting like a member
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 179
This shows what can be done in circumstances like this.

http://www.bridtownafc.com/club-info/club-news/
Posted by: moosey_club, November 16, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 180

That's one way of looking at it.
It could well be that Matt Dean is right and it was going to happen. Seems strange that he would be there to watch training and the club wouldn't publicise it.

I'm pleased that he's not coming, but the way it's been dealt with by the club is an embarrassment and is reaching the national press.

Will have to wait for Slade's book or post sacking/resignation statement to know for sure as all other parties are holding the "it was never happening"  line.  
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:54am