Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 25, 2017, 5:09pm
I have a 1947-8 Arsenal vs Grimsby programme - our last ever game in the old First Division. It's for sale at £15, which includes first class postage, should anybody want it. Would put a scan of it up here but don't know how to! If someone can advise I'll put it up.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 25, 2017, 5:18pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from jock dock tower
I have a 1947-8 Arsenal vs Grimsby programme - our last ever game in the old First Division. It's for sale at £15, which includes first class postage, should anybody want it. Would put a scan of it up here but don't know how to! If someone can advise I'll put it up.

This one Jock?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arsenal-v-Grimsby-1947-8-Gunners-Championship-Season/202071233057?hash=item2f0c625221:g:A5sAAOSwShFZ0kDj

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/A5sAAOSwShFZ0kDj/s-l1600.jpg[/img]
Posted by: RoboCod, October 25, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 2
Wow, what a treasure. I'd hope the club would buy that and frame it for all to see.
Posted by: Chips44, October 25, 2017, 6:15pm; Reply: 3
From the same era, I've got my grandfather's season ticket from the previous season.
We opened with an away game against Manchester United!!

Posted by: barralad, October 25, 2017, 6:35pm; Reply: 4
P'M'd you John
Posted by: barralad, October 25, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 5
One of my favourite stories ever takes in this match. My sister used to have a restaurant in Cleethorpes. Every other Saturday night she had a customer come in for a meal who was a Town fan who lived in Portsmouth.
I got talking to him and it turned out he had no connection to Grimsby at all. Arsenal gave local schools free tickets for this end of season game. Wanting to be different he said he'd support which ever team Arsenal were playing which turned out to be GTFC. I'm not quite sure what endeared him to a team that got done 8-0 but he became a regular fan and continued regular pilgrimages to B.P. for the next 60 years being a season ticket holder after retirement.
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 25, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's the one Les but without the rather embarrassing scoreline added to the front cover!

Posted by: jock dock tower, October 25, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 7
Programme now sold.
Posted by: Caveman, October 25, 2017, 7:53pm; Reply: 8
I remember listening to the commentary of the game which was broadcast
on the radio. Towards the end of the match Arsenal were awarded a penalty
and the commentator said " Tweedy, the Grimsby goalkeeper didn't even
try to save it "

Little did I think at the time I would never see my club again in the top division.
Posted by: Caveman, October 25, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 9
try to save it "

Little did I think at the time I would never see my club again in the top division.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 25, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Caveman
try to save it "

I can't remember what I did yesterday   :B

Posted by: cannylad68, October 26, 2017, 8:40am; Reply: 11
I also have a copy.
I posted on here some time ago, that one of the inside forwards in the programme for Town, was a school teacher at Immingham secondary school.
He didn't play though.

How football has changed since then.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:27pm