Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 23, 2017, 2:45pm
On Saturday at Morecambe, the players went of the pitch after the pre- match warm up and bits and pieces of training kit were left on the pitch at the Morecambe side, and you knew which side Morecambe would take the pitch to, as they had picked it.

After the toss, the teams changed ends.

After that, Town played against an increasing wind / rain storm (Brian) throughout the first half.

In the second half, Town played with the wind / rain for the first 15 minutes, then the conditions totally changed to the effect that Town were kicking against the wind for the last 20 / 25 minutes. Graphic image, in my mind, of a Town cross field ball from the right midfield position turning 90 degrees and ending in McKeown's hand - with the ref and linesman laughing to decide whether it was a back pass or not.

Would be interesting to know who won the toss?

I do think that Town were up against it for most of that game, and did well to get a point, but if Town won the toss, it was an unfortunate call.

If Morecambe won the toss, they picked the wrong end for the pre-match kick-about - knowing that the imminent weather meant that they would change ends if they won the toss.

?

Not very often a toss matters in football, as opposed to cricket, but last Saturday was one of them.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 23, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 1
Morecambe clearly won the toss as Town kicked off
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 23, 2017, 2:58pm; Reply: 2
No mystery the one who loses the toss kick-off.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 3
There is analysis and there is analysis......
Posted by: Fat Cobra, October 23, 2017, 3:37pm; Reply: 4
And then there's anal cysts
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2017, 4:12pm; Reply: 5
Majority of professional teams , regardless of conditions , stick with the traditional "attack our own supporters 2 nd half" approach.

Once you get away from 1000's of supporters, stadium football then the wind conditions, low sun,  ground slope etc come more into thinking.
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 23, 2017, 4:40pm; Reply: 6
As a trained marksman, the curvature of the earth also plays a part coupled with the dew point of atmospherics.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2017, 4:49pm; Reply: 7
I wish we had a midweek game - it's only Monday afternoon....
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 23, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Same I look forward to a Tuesday night home game after a day at work.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 23, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 9
With the weather being really predictable, too, I'm surprised the team didn't know the wind was going to change after 20 minutes into the second half... FFS people need to get a grip.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from SteffiMariner
With the weather being really predictable, too, I'm surprised the team didn't know the wind was going to change after 20 minutes into the second half... FFS people need to get a grip.

small gains... :)
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 24, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 11
So Morecambe, at the pre-match kickabout, decided to do this in front of their supporters, rather than at the Grimsby end - risking a 50:50 chance of not winning the toss - knowing that Storm Brian was about to arrive from the Town end?

Glad to hear that that Town had no influence on the decisions taking place at Morecambe, and underlines what a good point it was. :)

UTM    
Posted by: Grimal, October 24, 2017, 6:12pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Need a midweek footie fix ? ;) Get your a$$ down the M62 Wednesday afternoon 2pm KO. Town Reserves v Bratford Reserves.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There's always next Tuesday.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:03pm