Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, October 21, 2017, 8:20pm
I know there has been a lot of negativity lately but for me Sladey is starting to show he's a good lower league manager. We're on a run of 1 defeat in 9 games, 3.wins 3 draws in the last 6 games - to me that's play-off for all day long.

OK, it might not always be pretty but was it under Paul Hurst who evyone is now saying is the messiah and Brian Clough  reincarnated.

What it is, is effective. We are becoming incredibly hard to beat, we defend as a unit and the desire is there for all to see.

We are clearly a couple of attacking players short of really making a go of it but the foundation for any successful team and often the hardest part to get right is to be defensively solid and organised and Slade has implemented that IMO.

I think some people forget that we are a League 2 club and their expectations that we should be playing tippy tappy football a'la Spain or Barcelona is just not realistic for the level we are at.

I'm not having a go at anyone here as everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just hope that we can start to cultivate a more positive atmosphere and look at the good things this team is doing rather than continually point out our faults and forensically analyse those.

I genuinely believe that given time and more importantly resources, then Russel Slade can get us fighting for promotion to League 1.

Let's see where we are after the Xmas period and what January brings.

#UTM
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 21, 2017, 8:24pm; Reply: 1
The only thing that would have made this slightly more sickly, is if you had added "In Slade we Trust!" at the end.
Posted by: LH, October 21, 2017, 8:28pm; Reply: 2
Really looking forward to getting turned over by Cambridge next week now that we’ve had the “be positive” thread.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 21, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I know there has been a lot of negativity lately but for me Sladey is starting to show he's a good lower league manager. We're on a run of 1 defeat in 9 games, 3.wins 3 draws in the last 6 games - to me that's play-off for all day long.

OK, it might not always be pretty but was it under Paul Hurst who evyone is now saying is the messiah and Brian Clough  reincarnated.

What it is, is effective. We are becoming incredibly hard to beat, we defend as a unit and the desire is there for all to see.

We are clearly a couple of attacking players short of really making a go of it but the foundation for any successful team and often the hardest part to get right is to be defensively solid and organised and Slade has implemented that IMO.

I think some people forget that we are a League 2 club and their expectations that we should be playing tippy tappy football a'la Spain or Barcelona is just not realistic for the level we are at.

I'm not having a go at anyone here as everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just hope that we can start to cultivate a more positive atmosphere and look at the good things this team is doing rather than continually point out our faults and forensically analyse those.

I genuinely believe that given time and more importantly resources, then Russel Slade can get us fighting for promotion to League 1.

Let's see where we are after the Xmas period and what January brings.

#UTM

I agree with this bit - let's get the Mighty Mariner back.....
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 21, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 4
Clearly we are on a good run, let's see though whether it's down to an easier run of games or a sign that we have generated some solid foundations.  On a paper a tougher run coming up so I guess we will see.
Posted by: MarinerRob, October 21, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 5
Less than 18 months ago we were a non league team and nearly blew our chance at getting to Wembley. Now consolidated as a League Two team we are moving forward so I'm happy to be have that status. Yes, I would like to make the play offs and be entertained but at the moment the thought of being a League Two team is a good thought to have. Hopefully League One will come. And when (not if) it does how long will the club get before we are demanding promotion to the Championship?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 21, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 6
3 pts off a play off place.

AND

Still some moan.
Posted by: LH, October 21, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 7
I wasn’t moaning - I was just saying that we usually lose after someone posts something about positivity or unbeaten runs etc.
Posted by: heppy88, October 21, 2017, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
I really want to be positive, want to look forward to the match, want to be excited. But having sat through 90 minutes last Saturday its just not happening. Hopefully as the season progresses the positivity will return. We are having a good run and are in a respectable position, its just not that enjoyable to watch. UTMM.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 21, 2017, 9:50pm; Reply: 9
Happy with the results, happy with where we are in the league, not a big fan of Slade but admit he is doing a good job and is still in the early days of his tenure, but i would really like to see a bit of excitement at BP now and again. Not expecting champagne football but a few crosses and shots with the odd goal wouldn't go amiss and wouldn't be too much to ask for would it?
Posted by: lukeo, October 21, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 10
Honestly if we somehow managed to get promoted I'd be happy with survival in league 1 next year. Some big clubs and grounds we'd get to visit it'd be like Christmas for the younger generation
Posted by: GrimRob, October 21, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 11
You're not allowed to be positive on the Fishy. Only Moaning Minnies allowed.  :)
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 21, 2017, 10:48pm; Reply: 12
I’d be reasonably satisfied of we finished in the top half this season, at least that’s progress. Minimal progress admittedly but still progress then Slade can clear out what he doesn’t want and it can be 95% his side bar Bolarinwa, Jones and Osborne.
Posted by: Croxton, October 21, 2017, 11:38pm; Reply: 13
Great defensive performance but the left side has no pace. If some balance was possible it would free Dembele more. Still too many free kicks conceded and daft tackle by Jones for the yellow. Love to see DJ get a start.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 21, 2017, 11:43pm; Reply: 14
Slade knows how to set up his team,

Sometimes it is not pretty to watch,

BUT

Its better to get a result than lose playing good football.

My view maybe not yours.
Posted by: Garth, October 22, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 15
Just can`t see where the goals are going to come from, no matter how you juggle them we have no threat whatsoever up front, the manager needs to give Cardwell a run alongside Jones IMO
Posted by: Hagrid, October 22, 2017, 2:43pm; Reply: 16
I disagree. Why you think Cardwell is the answer i do not know? In his albeit brief cameos at the start of the season i saw nothing to indicate a goal threat
Posted by: Cloudy, October 22, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Garth
Just can`t see where the goals are going to come from, no matter how you juggle them we have no threat whatsoever up front, the manager needs to give Cardwell a run alongside Jones IMO

Kinell, we scored 3 on Tuesday or don't they count?
Posted by: Garth, October 22, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Cloudy

Kinell, we scored 3 on Tuesday or don't they count?

Yes and No! makes no difference to my point though, goals were scored by Collins defender and Dembele, not seen as one of the two front strikers.
Posted by: Garth, October 22, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid
I disagree. Why you think Cardwell is the answer i do not know? In his albeit brief cameos at the start of the season i saw nothing to indicate a goal threat

Er! where did I say I think he is the answer, I just think its time to try someone else alongside Jones as the threat is not there with Hooper, Vernon or Matt.
Posted by: Grantley, October 22, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 20
This recent lack of defeats looks decent but we’ve only played 1 top half team. We’re not good against the better teams and this next couple months will show if Slade has improved us since the start of the season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Garth

Yes and No! makes no difference to my point though, goals were scored by Collins defender and Dembele, not seen as one of the two front strikers.

Not many strikers bagged a lot of goals under Buckley but that seemed to work out well.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2017, 10:57pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Grantley
This recent lack of defeats looks decent but we’ve only played 1 top half team. We’re not good against the better teams and this next couple months will show if Slade has improved us since the start of the season.

That's true. Think it's a bit too early thinking about the playoffs. I know we're 'only' three points behind, but there's 4 more teams ahead of us before 7th place. It'd take a month to close that gap if we have a good run.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2017, 5:58am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Grantley

It will looking at the fixtures we play 5 of the teams above us before the end of the year,. Then we can tell I reckon.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 23, 2017, 8:37am; Reply: 24
The aim of football is to score more than the other team.  There are several teams above us in the league that have scored fewer goals but they have conceded less.  We have one of the worst defensive records in the league.  Slade's response to a leaky defence in the first few games has been to make us hard to beat, concede less and get on an unbeaten run.  That builds confidence and provides a platform for moving up the table.  The 'you score 3 and we'll score 4' approach very rarely works in the long run.... take a look at Liverpool!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 23, 2017, 9:30am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Garth

Weve had 9 different goalscorers already...

I much prefer it like that than 1 who scores the majority, as if you lose him to injury, then you have a problem...

we also have Osborne to come back who we know can score and create goals.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 23, 2017, 11:48am; Reply: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not many strikers bagged a lot of goals under Buckley but that seemed to work out well.

Exactly. The top scoring striker in 97/98 got 8.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 23, 2017, 12:56pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

Exactly. The top scoring striker in 97/98 got 8.

Yes but Donovan got 20 odd that helped ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, October 23, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 28
Well yeah, but that's not the point he made!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 29
Let's hope Dembele can score the same amount as Donovan did. He has the capability.
Posted by: Garth, October 23, 2017, 3:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Weve had 9 different goalscorers already...

I much prefer it like that than 1 who scores the majority, as if you lose him to injury, then you have a problem...

we also have Osborne to come back who we know can score and create goals.

So what have you got against giving Harry Cardwell a chance?
Posted by: StaffsMariner, October 23, 2017, 4:45pm; Reply: 31
Interestingly weve played 3 of the top 6 form sides in the last 6 games and 4 of the top 10.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 9:29am