Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HotToddy, September 13, 2017, 1:04am
We could be in the play off spots after Saturday. Can anyone remember the FGR chairman saying that his team would urine league 2?
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 13, 2017, 1:26am; Reply: 1
Worth noting that 6 of the 7 teams we've played are in the top 11 - including 2 that we beat so not just because they've played us...
Posted by: moosey_club, September 13, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 2
i refuse to look up while Lincoln are above us  ;)
Posted by: hheh2, September 13, 2017, 7:43pm; Reply: 3
The next so and so games all look winnable. Just need to improve in defence a bit.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 13, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 4
We've got 9 points after 7 games - if you average that out it puts us on 59 points which is about what i think we'll end up with. We've got enough quality to stay up but not enough to go up. Hopefully we'll have a decent FA cup run to make the season interesting.
Posted by: wiggers, September 13, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 5
I think it's far to early to say where we'll be come the end of the season, if we get on a little winning run everyone's saying we're gonna make the playoffs, lose a couple and we're getting relegated. Let's see how things settle down, I think come Christmas we will know if we stand a chance of promotion or face a few months of worry.
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 13, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 6
Think this weekend could be the split weekend...were instead of there bing 1 npoint between you and the team above/below........there will be a 2 /3 point gap open up at about 10th  once that happens it always nseems harder to climb above the split point
Posted by: LH, September 13, 2017, 11:52pm; Reply: 7
If I remember correctly this weekend would be the weekend that Slade put us top of the league in 2005 with a win vs Torquay (3-0? Reddy half pitch length run?) before facing Tottenham in R3 of the League Cup. Obviously we failed to go up after a poor second half to the season. If we can go top in about a months time we would be promoted if we followed a similar pattern because we only dropped out of the top 3 on the last day.

People should give him more credit because this is tactical brilliance.  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, September 14, 2017, 12:00am; Reply: 8
Just to be pedantic we dropped out the top 3 on the penultimate Saturday ;)
Posted by: LH, September 14, 2017, 12:05am; Reply: 9
Pedantry is acceptable but only because the theory still works. The Town are going up!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 14, 2017, 4:50am; Reply: 10
It's a work in progress I expect this team to get better as time goes on and the squad gel. With J.Osbourne and Asante due to return as well it's not crystal ball time yet far from

Keep your glass half full.           UTM.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2017, 5:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from AussieMariner
Worth noting that 6 of the 7 teams we've played are in the top 11 - including 2 that we beat so not just because they've played us...

Sorry to be pedantic but of those six four are only there because they beat us, one would have one more point than us the rest the same or less.

Posted by: moosey_club, September 14, 2017, 8:37am; Reply: 12
Pick up any points on Saturday and we will at least be on an even keel with last seasons start, win and we will have had a better start than last season.
Throw in 5 suspensions, 3 long term injuries, 1 mysterious case of the Clements  then hopefully we should only get stronger as players come back.

Looking ahead we are playing 6/7 teams who are currently below us (if you take note of tables at this point of the season) and these games are the type we have struggled with in recent history....if Slade can guide us to wins in these types of games then we could be well placed by the time we see Craig Disley.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2017, 9:39am; Reply: 13
I would rather look down than up,

I want us to be top looking down thinking ,   " you can not catch us "   8)
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 14, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

Sorry to be pedantic but of those six four are only there because they beat us, one would have one more point than us the rest the same or less.

I did say not just because they've played us so that's my cop out as a fellow pedant.
My real point was that we've played a lot of teams in the top half so our position is maybe a bit false. Hope we can put away the teams that are lower than us.
So far I've only been able to watch highlights and a couple of iview games when I've been half asleep and three quarters drunk but I'm quite encouraged by some of the stuff I've seen.
About to come over on my next bi-annual pilgramige and looking forward to Lincoln, Port Vale, Crawley games and family commitments allowing, Cheltenham and Morecambe.
I actually think that apart from the defence being a bit light on and leggy we've got a pretty good squad.
Planning to be at the play off final in May watching:

McKeown
Mills Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Osborne McCallister  Woolforde
Jones Matt

Plus a few decent subs (DJ, Asante, maybe Hooper etc)

Posted by: GrimRob, September 14, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 15
A lot depends on injuries and suspensions. Keeping a settled side can help enormously in putting a good run together. The year Leicester won the league they used very few players because they got lucky with injuries. If we can find a line up that gells and stick to it with minor variations when needed we could threaten the top 7, but I'd say at this stage it's far more likely that we won't.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2017, 11:43am; Reply: 16

I did say not just because they've played us so that's my cop out as a fellow pedant.
My real point was that we've played a lot of teams in the top half so our position is maybe a bit false. Hope we can put away the teams that are lower than us.
So far I've only been able to watch highlights and a couple of iview games when I've been half asleep and three quarters drunk but I'm quite encouraged by some of the stuff I've seen.
About to come over on my next bi-annual pilgramige and looking forward to Lincoln, Port Vale, Crawley games and family commitments allowing, Cheltenham and Morecambe.
I actually think that apart from the defence being a bit light on and leggy we've got a pretty good squad.
Planning to be at the play off final in May watching:

McKeown
Mills Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Osborne McCallister  Woolforde
Jones Matt

Plus a few decent subs (DJ, Asante, maybe Hooper etc)

I must be missing something as I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. We are below them because we were rubbish in the games we played against them not because those teams were particularly good.

We have to hope that Tuesday's performance was not a one off.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 17
Can I just add that we are below a lot of teams because we have gifted them the points,

With  sending offs, own goals and conceding pens,

Stop doing that and we will move up the table,

Gain more confidence by winning and in doing so play much better football.
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 14, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from arryarryarry

I must be missing something as I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. We are below them because we were rubbish in the games we played against them not because those teams were particularly good.

We have to hope that Tuesday's performance was not a one off.

My point is that we have played 6 teams that are above us and 1 that is below. Chances are that the teams we've played, on average, are better than the teams we have still to meet.
Having said that I now surrender to a superior pedant - I'm really just looking forward to attending a few games and trying to have a positive outlook going into them.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2017, 1:39am; Reply: 19

I'm really just looking forward to attending a few games and trying to have a positive outlook going into them.

flipping hell mate. You can keep those New World attitudes where they belong. You've been out of Grimsby/England too long.  ;)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:38am