Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, September 12, 2017, 11:10am
All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live. Woo hoo!
Posted by: Tommy, September 12, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 1
Can't help but think this will hit several clubs in the pocket with decreasing midweek attendances. Especially clubs at L1/L2 level that don't have the support of some of the massive clubs in the Championship.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 12, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 2
That's excrement for football.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 12, 2017, 11:17am; Reply: 3
Quoted from headingly_mariner
That's excrement for football.

Great for exiles and folk who can't always get to games though. It is better to get some decent money in for the streaming service rather than the current system where lots of folk are using illegal streams and VPNs to get access on the cheap.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 12, 2017, 11:22am; Reply: 4
BBC saying all EFL clubs.

All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042
Posted by: stevethefish, September 12, 2017, 11:24am; Reply: 5
Every Grimsby game should be available online and tv.

Protectionism never works. It will grow the market.

At the end of the day, nothing beats reality of being at ground.

I was going to Accrington tonight from Essex, but can't go now due to work - but would be happy paying entrance fee to watch live .
Posted by: stevethefish, September 12, 2017, 11:29am; Reply: 6
If I'm lucky I will log into ifollow to listen to match - to be greeted with scunthorpe game if they are playing for the first ten minutes. Frankly it's crap and in the dark ages.

Supermarkets sell online - it's doesn't mean people stop going shopping.

Grow the market, grow Grimsbys revenues, build a bigger lots fan base.
Posted by: gtfc98, September 12, 2017, 11:42am; Reply: 7
Quoted from psgmariner
All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live. Woo hoo!

Is this a good thing? I don't think so. I get the "progression" argument but let's face it how many Exeter fans are going to make the journey to BP on a Tuesday night if they can stream it live at home? It won't hamper the Championship but no doubt clubs like ours will lose out.

Harvey is a fool and needs to go.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 12, 2017, 11:51am; Reply: 8
Is it going to be one camera angle and no commentary? Nobody in their right minds would ever choose that over being there.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 12, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
Is it going to be one camera angle and no commentary? Nobody in their right minds would ever choose that over being there.

Exactly. If you can get there you go, if you can't then this is the next best thing.
Posted by: grimsbybrown, September 12, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 10
Hmmm...

I'm interested to know the funding structure of this...  Do what are essentially pay per view revenues get paid to the clubs in proportion to the matches which are streamed, or is there an equal split between all clubs regardless of subscriptions?

With so many exiles I can see us having a strong take-up midweek with less risk to attendances than some other clubs.

Undecided whether this is a good thing or not overall for the game, could see fewer away fans making the trip...
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 12, 2017, 1:43pm; Reply: 11
Not for a couple of years yet.

Let's hope we are still in the EFL ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 12, 2017, 2:11pm; Reply: 12
I really struggle with Tuesday fixtures getting from work to blundell park is nearly impossible. I'm going tonight - but thats the only Tuesday game ill make before Christmas - if they charged £16 to watch online i would pay it and that means if it was in operation this season the club would make £64 quid out of me before Christmas and probably the same after Christmas so circa £125 quid the club doesn't get from me at the moment. I bet there's loads of people like me who would do this. I reckon it's only a good thing.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 12, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 13
[quote=4013]I really struggle with Tuesday fixtures getting from work to blundell park is nearly impossible. I'm going tonight -.[/quote

You will be there on your own then mate, we are away  ;D
Posted by: stevethefish, September 12, 2017, 2:58pm; Reply: 14
Would I pay £20 to watch at home with a beer or put up with the excrement at Mansfield and Stevenage this year (stewards and policing I'm talking) .... I wonder

As I mentioned Saturday - away games are becoming less fun but doesn't mean I wouldn't happily pay £20 to watch online or tv.

I'd be an away season ticket holder, compare to the 8 I plan to go to
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 12, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete
[quote=4013]I really struggle with Tuesday fixtures getting from work to blundell park is nearly impossible. I'm going tonight -.[/quote

You will be there on your own then mate, we are away  ;D

I do know that!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 12, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from stevethefish
Would I pay £20 to watch at home with a beer or put up with the excrement at Mansfield and Stevenage this year (stewards and policing I'm talking) .... I wonder

As I mentioned Saturday - away games are becoming less fun but doesn't mean I wouldn't happily pay £20 to watch online or tv.

I'd be an away season ticket holder, compare to the 8 I plan to go to

It doesn't include Saturday games. It is only games that are played outside of the core time which is 14:45 to 17:15 on Saturdays.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

Speaking to a Sky cameraman earlier this season, Sky seem to be cutting back on the number they use as they are trying to cut costs so unlikely that they would have something like an outside broadcast team at every L1/ L2 match.
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 13, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 18
SH really does have no interest in fans attending football matches as long as there's a quick buck to be made. Midweek game under the lights used to be the best atmosphere at BP. This might not drastically reduce the number of away fans but it's a step in that direction.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 13, 2017, 6:50pm; Reply: 19
If Shaun Harvey is masterminding this then I'M OUT ...end of.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2017, 8:17pm; Reply: 20
I wonder* if anyone at the FL has actually run any studies on what the impact of this is going to be:

How much money are is the FL collectively forecast to get?
How much will it cost to provide the service?
How much Sky will get out of it (more than the FL?)
What is the likely impact on attendances?
What are the different scenarios of new income versus lost income, and which ones are needed to ensure there's at least a break even?

And if the extra revenue more than covers the lost income, what will be the impact on atmosphere and the overall character of the game? Is it OK if there's enough TV income to play in empty stadia?

* but suspect the answer is 'no' - ITV Digital, [cough].
Posted by: Cloudy, September 13, 2017, 8:49pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I wonder* if anyone at the FL has actually run any studies on what the impact of this is going to be:

How much money are is the FL collectively forecast to get?
How much will it cost to provide the service?
How much Sky will get out of it (more than the FL?)
What is the likely impact on attendances?
What are the different scenarios of new income versus lost income, and which ones are needed to ensure there's at least a break even?

And if the extra revenue more than covers the lost income, what will be the impact on atmosphere and the overall character of the game? Is it OK if there's enough TV income to play in empty stadia?

* but suspect the answer is 'no' - ITV Digital, [cough].

This is my major concern.

The money men will tell us all that the income will increase and that HAS to be good for the game. Understandable perhaps but what happens when the next generation expect to sit in their armchairs and have no inclination to go to live games? Will TV keep paying out huge sums of money for games played in empty stadiums.

Just smacks of short termism to me and that is a thought that runs through so much of the schemes dreamt up in current day football
Posted by: moosey_club, September 13, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Cloudy

This is my major concern.

The money men will tell us all that the income will increase and that HAS to be good for the game. Understandable perhaps but what happens when the next generation expect to sit in their armchairs and have no inclination to go to live games? Will TV keep paying out huge sums of money for games played in empty stadiums.

Just smacks of short termism to me and that is a thought that runs through so much of the schemes dreamt up in current day football

and the other problem that Chairmen will vote yes or go along with it as they will be sold headline cash figures and benefits to cause them short term gain blindness....come any detailed announcement it will be too late to realise they have been shafted.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 14, 2017, 6:13am; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

and the other problem that Chairmen will vote yes or go along with it as they will be sold headline cash figures and benefits to cause them short term gain blindness....come any detailed announcement it will be too late to realise they have been shafted.

Would that apply to 'non Chairmen' as well Moosey ? 😉
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:03pm