Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Superdan147, August 30, 2017, 9:03pm
RS stated in his post match donny interview that he's hoping for a little more business before the deadline. I reckon a versatile defender and a defensive midfielder must be 2 priorities to finish the squad off. Be interesting to see if there's any movement out of the club too
Posted by: Cloudy, August 30, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 1
I suspect at least one will go out, even if only on loan
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 30, 2017, 9:19pm; Reply: 2
You'd think someone would go out as well we now have a whopping 29 players signed.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 30, 2017, 9:54pm; Reply: 3
A centre half and LB under 30 and a "Jonny on the spot" striker for me. I am not sure many will leave as a number of them are either out for a bit or jut not match fit.
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 30, 2017, 9:58pm; Reply: 4
With matt now signed there will be no more strikers. Would like to see a new CM. Especially as no osbourne till new year and ongoing delay in clements and mcallister return. If rumours are true then throw woolford in the mix too. Think gk and defence finished too
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 30, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
You'd think someone would go out as well we now have a whopping 29 players signed.

This. Now I am no accountant but the wage demand must be at a premium with such a large squad.

I thought Slade was trying to slim the squad down to a manageable level.

Just four games in as he really had time to fully  access the strengths of players in that time but what of the dreggs left over from Bignot and himself?

Having five players in some cases fighting for just one position seems ludicrous and over excessive to me rather than healthy competition it probably creates despondency.

Whilst prem teams have the finance to do this not sure we do.

Ah bollox why worry they must know what there doing.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 30, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 6
As my old mum used to say 'buy cheap buy twice'
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 30, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from friskneymariner
As my old mum used to say 'buy cheap buy twice'

Hooper & Kelly were clearly in a BOGOF deal.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 30, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 8
Hope we kept the receipt.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 30, 2017, 11:00pm; Reply: 9
Now this is just a guess but I reckon this is now the largest squad in the club's history. I know under Newell we went through a lot of players but lots of them were passing through not all together at the same time.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 31, 2017, 12:15am; Reply: 10
Could just imagine waking up to this tomorrow ..

Mansfield bid £100,000 for James berrett and Luke summerfield but John fenty describes offer as derisory.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 31, 2017, 12:25am; Reply: 11
time to get rid of some
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 31, 2017, 7:08am; Reply: 12
Someone like tom Thorpe (ex Man Utd youth team skipper) would've been worth a look at. Played plenty of games on loan at Bolton/Bradford in past couple of seasons and without a club now
Posted by: golfer, August 31, 2017, 7:29am; Reply: 13
Would have to vastly increase our pay structure to entice him
Posted by: oldun, August 31, 2017, 7:56am; Reply: 14
We are in danger of having too many players it must be approaching 30. This is against an initial plan to trim the squad. I don't get it and will not lead to a settled side.
Posted by: sam gy, August 31, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 15
One minute people are moaning we have a 'bargain basement' squad and accusing Fenty of penny pinching, and the next we're moaning that we don't want any more players! ;D

I agree it's not healthy to have a massive squad, but he what can we do if we can't offload? Just stick to what we have even if it's not quite working yet? (Although I do believe it's too early to judge). And if a better player than what we have becomes available do we just pass up on him?

These opening games we have looked thin, squad wise to be honest. Obviously there's been injuries, Clements not fit or not fancied, suspensions(!). We're too heavy with wingers and forwards, but a lot of them are younger players who perhaps don't expect to start every game, but should be busting a gut to stay in.

Crazy to say it, but I think we do need another CM. perhaps a utility defender too?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 9:07am; Reply: 16
without Osbourne we lack a bit of creativity in central midfield. We have wide players in DJ, Siriki and Tom but all are naive, and inexperienced. Woolford may add a bit more nous but hasnt played much of late.

Still expect a couple to go out if we can shift them
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 31, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 17
A central midfielder with just a slight hint of having any talent whatsoever and a defender who on a good day could do the 100m in 25 seconds would be welcome improvements on the current squad.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Cloudy
without Osbourne we lack a bit of creativity in central midfield. We have wide players in DJ, Siriki and Tom but all are naive, and inexperienced. Woolford may add a bit more nous but hasnt played much of late.

Still expect a couple to go out if we can shift them

We don't know what's going on with McAllister - is he ever going to be fit? If he isn't we haven't got a CM of that type. An educated guess is that it's a similar scenario with Asante which is why we've signed Matt.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 31, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 19
Isn't Rose a McAlister type?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2017, 9:36am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Isn't Rose a McAlister type?

Don't see it. Rose gets up & down the pitch, McAllister sits in front of the back 4 - I think Berrett has been playing the McAllister role & has been getting better but it doesn't look natural to him.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 31, 2017, 10:06am; Reply: 21
In his interview for Ifollow  Rose said himself that sitting in front of the back four was a new position for him and he was relaying on Clarke and Collins to help him through it. So Slade has instructed him to play that way, even if it's not his natural position.
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 31, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 22
Biggest problem is at the moment no one wants to take the excrement of us, prbably due to being on good wages for excrement players though, Hursty left some right tripe.  Was it done on purpose?

Bit like fergy left Man U, he new the time to get out cos the team was gash.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 31, 2017, 11:25am; Reply: 23
We don't really have a squad of 29 though do we? You're including Keeble, Sawyer and Akheem Rose in that number and they're not ready for the first team.

From what I can see we've got a squad of 25, with Osborne, Asante and McAllister all long term absentees. Clements currently unavailable too. It's not big by any stretch.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 31, 2017, 11:38am; Reply: 24
Slade said preseason he wanted like 21-22 with a few youngsters on the fringe so we are above that already.   Plus these young lads aren't here for free they all draw a wage even if it's just full time minimum wage.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 31, 2017, 11:42am; Reply: 25
Apparently a few things are bubbling away at the moment...
Posted by: Perkins, August 31, 2017, 11:53am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Apparently a few things are bubbling away at the moment...

Yes, Fentys a*se at the thought of having to cough up more dosh.

Posted by: fleabag1970, August 31, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 27
Didn't man u  win the league in fergies last season ? . Hardly gash
Posted by: RichMariner, August 31, 2017, 12:36pm; Reply: 28
Well, whichever way you look at it - injured players or not - we must have a huge wage bill.

Since you-know-who left, we've just been chucking new players into an already large squad, which has stripped it from any identity it once had.

Gone are the stalwarts. Once again the revolving door is operating at maximum speed. I could probably handle another season finishing 14th if we had a regular XI to get behind, but we've made so many new signings and seen so many debuts in the last 10 months that I feel increasingly numb about a lot of things.
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2017, 12:51pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RichMariner
Well, whichever way you look at it - injured players or not - we must have a huge wage bill.

Since you-know-who left, we've just been chucking new players into an already large squad, which has stripped it from any identity it once had.

Gone are the stalwarts. Once again the revolving door is operating at maximum speed. I could probably handle another season finishing 14th if we had a regular XI to get behind, but we've made so many new signings and seen so many debuts in the last 10 months that I feel increasingly numb about a lot of things.

It's hardly as if PH kept the squad together! He tore it apart and we only had 5 left from the promotion winning squad. Of the players that remained, three have gone back to non-league. So to some extent we've had to do sign a lot of players and I really don't buy the above opinion that this has occurred since PH left and he is unaccountable. He deserves a large portion of the blame. Look at the squad that PH left:
- Macca and Henderson in goal (not too bad)
- Mills, Davies, Collins, Pearson, Gowling, Boyce, Jones, Andrew in defence. 5/8 of those have left with only 1 moving upwards deservedly and the others now playing in non-league so what does that tell you?
- Bolarinwa, Browne, Berrett, Chambers, Summerfield, Comley, Vose, McAllister, Disley in midfield. So four are left but two  (Berrett and Summerfield) are not good enough and one is a crock unfortunately. Comley wasn't good enough. Disley is now in the Conference North and was too old to be a mainstay. Chambers is in the Conference North. Browne it didn't work out. And Vose doesn't even have a club! So we're left with 1 fit and useful midfielder from the squad PH put together.
- Up front we had Bogle, Vernon, Tuton and Jackson. Vernon was unfit at the start of the season. Tuton was useless and Jackson showed glimpses of promise but didn't do enough. We had a squad that solely relied on Bogle and he was always going to go either in January or this summer. Which would have left us with a squad that would have not scored any goals in a month of Sundays.

PH was a decent manager and he's doing a really good job so far this season with Shrewsbury. However, the squad he left us with was pants and would have been in deep trouble had we not had Bogle on form (also remember he didn't start Bogle for the first three games for some unknown reason). We needed to bring players in but the main problem has been not getting rid of some of those who are probably biggish earners (Berrett and Summerfield) and some of the signings brought in haven't been inspiring either (Kelly, Clarke and Dixon).
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 31, 2017, 1:23pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from mariner91

It's hardly as if PH kept the squad together! He tore it apart and we only had 5 left from the promotion winning squad. Of the players that remained, three have gone back to non-league. So to some extent we've had to do sign a lot of players and I really don't buy the above opinion that this has occurred since PH left and he is unaccountable. He deserves a large portion of the blame. Look at the squad that PH left:
- Mills, Davies, Collins, Pearson, Gowling, Boyce, Jones, Andrew in defence. 5/8 of those have left with only 1 moving upwards deservedly and the others now playing in non-league so what does that tell you?
- Bolarinwa, Browne, Berrett, Chambers, Summerfield, Comley, Vose, McAllister, Disley in midfield. So four are left but two  (Berrett and Summerfield) are not good enough and one is a crock unfortunately. Comley wasn't good enough. Disley is now in the Conference North and was too old to be a mainstay. Chambers is in the Conference North. Browne it didn't work out. And Vose doesn't even have a club! So we're left with 1 fit and useful midfielder from the squad PH put together.
- Up front we had Bogle, Vernon, Tuton and Jackson. Vernon was unfit at the start of the season. Tuton was useless and Jackson showed glimpses of promise but didn't do enough. We had a squad that solely relied on Bogle and he was always going to go either in January or this summer. Which would have left us with a squad that would have not scored any goals in a month of Sundays.

PH was a decent manager and he's doing a really good job so far this season with Shrewsbury. However, the squad he left us with was pants and would have been in deep trouble had we not had Bogle on form (also remember he didn't start Bogle for the first three games for some unknown reason). We needed to bring players in but the main problem has been not getting rid of some of those who are probably biggish earners (Berrett and Summerfield) and some of the signings brought in haven't been inspiring either (Kelly, Clarke and Dixon).

Well thought out post M91!

Can't disagree too much with any of that
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 31, 2017, 2:57pm; Reply: 31
Hope R/S  repaid the favour he owed Glen Downey's old man.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 31, 2017, 5:09pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from mariner91

Hurst's squad certainly wasn't a big one and was doing fine when he left. Small changes in January would've been fine. A lot of whether players are good enough is about opinions and I think it's clear that Hurst is capable of building teams with players people think aren't good enough. Bignot changed too much too quickly and destroyed the stability we had.
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst's squad certainly wasn't a big one and was doing fine when he left. Small changes in January would've been fine. A lot of whether players are good enough is about opinions and I think it's clear that Hurst is capable of building teams with players people think aren't good enough. Bignot changed too much too quickly and destroyed the stability we had.

It relied completely on Bogle for goals. The rest of the Hurst squad managed 20 goals between them all season.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 31, 2017, 5:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mariner91

It relied completely on Bogle for goals. The rest of the Hurst squad managed 20 goals between them all season.

As soon as Hurst left that squad was dismantled. He wasn't with us for the window and I reckon he'd have made us far stronger than Bignot.

This season I think some of the players people have said are shite are actually half decent. Dixon is a prime example, he actually looks a really tidy fullback and I haven't read anything positive about him. I'm also shocked about the Berrett stick as he's been decent for Slade.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 35

As soon as Hurst left that squad was dismantled. He wasn't with us for the window and I reckon he'd have made us far stronger than Bignot.

This season I think some of the players people have said are shite are actually half decent. Dixon is a prime example, he actually looks a really tidy fullback and I haven't read anything positive about him. I'm also shocked about the Berrett stick as he's been decent for Slade.

Agree on all counts - regarding Bignot, it was no use giving him the money to spend in the window and then not let him develop what he brought in. Berrett looks far better played centrally than he ever did out wide, interesting that the only game we've been poor in midfield is the game he missed and Dixon looks competent without being as good as Danny Andrew.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 31, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 36

I admit I've spent 10 seconds thinking about it, but I can't remember Hurst ever doing much in the January transfer window that was any good.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2017, 5:49pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I admit I've spent 10 seconds thinking about it, but I can't remember Hurst ever doing much in the January transfer window that was any good.

You didn't rate Brodie?  :-/
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 31, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 38

Hursts January business was generally woeful, Bignot signed some shite in January but he also signed some people who are now key players.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 31, 2017, 5:57pm; Reply: 39
Of the players Slade signed (loans not inc) Dembele is the only one that stands out as more than average
Posted by: Bigdog, August 31, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 40
Wish list

Centre half - We're one injury away from having to play the two remaining players in this position and if one of those remaining is Clarke then well..

Left back - We're one injury away from not having one

Central defensive midfield - Discounting the York pair who I don't think are the answer, we've only got one fit, one coming back from injury, and one crock

Find it bizarre that the squad has been left so lopsided with so many forwards for one place in the team and so bare elsewhere.

Starting to lose faith in RS performance (ins and outs) in the transfer market or the budget given.

Hoping to god something significant happens in the next few hours as I can't see only adding another forward, as good or bad as Matt may be, will make that much difference to our shortcomings in other areas.

(wallbash2)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 31, 2017, 7:32pm; Reply: 41
Apparently another signing is very close and could be announced within the next hour
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Apparently another signing is very close and could be announced within the next hour

9pm according to the OS
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 31, 2017, 7:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

9pm according to the OS

I hope it's a utility defender to be honest

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 31, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 44
Gutted to see Brandon comley gone to Colchester
Posted by: pizzzza, August 31, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 45
Hearing its Woolford #itk
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 46
Well that would make it 4 cb's. Woolford is a free isnt he so can sign after the window shuts
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 47
Don't get too excited by this guys..
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from lukeo

We won't.  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 31, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from lukeo

Years of disappointment has taught us well!
Posted by: Davec, August 31, 2017, 8:59pm; Reply: 50
Gtfc tweeted about the first deadline day deal at 9, could there be more than 1?
Posted by: LH, August 31, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from lukeo

Fully expecting Dave Boylen to re-sign.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 52
It's 9.03. The excitement is too much to bear.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 31, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 53
What Ginny said ...,
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 9:06pm; Reply: 54
I wish you cold reply to this love blog excrement
Posted by: denni266, August 31, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 55
will the hairs stand up on the back of our necks?  prob not
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 56
You drunk luke? 😳😂
Posted by: chaos33, August 31, 2017, 9:09pm; Reply: 57
Brandon Comley is bang average. I wouldn't be gutted he's signed for a L2 rival.
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2017, 9:10pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Gutted to see Brandon comley gone to Colchester

Why?!
Posted by: Fat Cobra, August 31, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 59
Brandon is dog shite, much rather have Micheal Leary
Posted by: forza ivano, August 31, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Brandon is dog shite, much rather have Micheal Leary

Do love to read posts from people who obviously know feck all about football.

League 1 defender being mentioned as gy target.James o Connor 32 year old defender just released by Walsall
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 31, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 61
Another +30 defender?
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 31, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 62
Player from Donny apparently
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 63
Tonduer suggesting it is a loanee from Donny?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 64
Why cant the club just bloody announce it when they say they will. Every flipping time its the same
Posted by: LH, August 31, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 65
Harry Middleton is a rumour. 22yo MF.
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 66
Haha my spelling is terrible. I don't drink pal just poor at typing this evening!
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 31, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 67
Wolves
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 68
Woolford!
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 69
Woolford signs
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 31, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 70
Woolford bloody phone !!!
Posted by: moosey_club, August 31, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 71
Well,  completely flummoxed by this one...what is Slade upto ???
Posted by: hheh2, August 31, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 72
Woolford in

Will there be another?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from moosey_club
Well,  completely flummoxed by this one...what is Slade upto ???

Perhaps we are going to play with 4 wingers in a bold new formation. The opposite of Alf Ramsey's wingless wonders.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 74
I think it more that he cant be impressed with Kelly. Thats this guys position
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 31, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Hagrid
I think it more that he cant be impressed with Kelly. Thats this guys position

Has anyone been impressed with Kelly so far?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 76
Woolford says he has been training with us since Monday. I bet he signed hours if not days ago!!!
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2017, 9:50pm; Reply: 77
Being widely described by Blades fans on twitter as the worst player they've ever had. Good to see we're following a pattern this summer.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 31, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 78
Should be a decent signing- he can provide the ammo for Matt
Posted by: Cloudy, August 31, 2017, 9:54pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from LH
Harry Middleton is a rumour. 22yo MF.

He has signed for Port Vale
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2017, 9:54pm; Reply: 80
I can't actually believe we haven't signed a defender. We have 6 senior defenders to cover 4 positions, 3 of which are well into their 30's. We now have 5 wingers so unless we play a formation that has literally never been played then at least 3 will be on bench or not in the squad. And we've got 6 strikers when we only seem to play 1! You couldn't make it up.
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 7:33pm