Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 1, 2017, 1:22pm
if you had to pick one player who we could realistically get who would it be?
Posted by: Superdan147, May 1, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 1
Trevor Carson. Hartlepool Keeper.

Posted by: Grimal, May 1, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 2
Henderson on a season loan.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 1, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 3
Ricky Miller
Posted by: GTFCH, May 1, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 4
Nathan Arnold just to cause a stir and get the boy back to where he belongs.
Posted by: GTFCH, May 1, 2017, 1:37pm; Reply: 5
A new keeper with a heavy heart I believe is going to be necessary. Dean Henderson ideal but surely unlikely?
Posted by: 935 (Guest), May 1, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 6
I think, realistically, we cant expect BIG signings as the budget simply cant cope... Ideal squad size is 21. Theres 15 players still contracted beyond the summer, if contracts are offered to pearson collins and andrew then thats 18. Releasing them is a matter of either paying them off or hoping that another club comes in for them, but this is a gamble as put simply the wages theyre offered might be lower.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 1, 2017, 1:57pm; Reply: 7
Podge
Posted by: PPMariner, May 1, 2017, 2:01pm; Reply: 8
Dean Henderson, season loan.

More than ideal; less than realistic. Dream signing.
Posted by: Davec, May 1, 2017, 2:03pm; Reply: 9
Alex Revell
Posted by: Hagrid, May 1, 2017, 2:04pm; Reply: 10
the shop  ;)
Posted by: kevikov, May 1, 2017, 2:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid
the shop  ;)

Fecketty feck feck!!

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 1, 2017, 2:24pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid
the shop  ;)

What!!! Get in a bidding war with Shrewsbury?  ;D

Posted by: Meza, May 1, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 13
Semedo of Orient

Arnold of Lincoln (i never seem to see him celebrate and insult GTFC like the other toss pots)

Amond

From the top of my head
Posted by: Hagrid, May 1, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 14
was kidding about the shop guys!

I think Slade will surprise us with signings, he has a lot of contacts i would think
Posted by: chaos33, May 1, 2017, 3:06pm; Reply: 15
Striker James Collins from Crawley.
Posted by: Meza, May 1, 2017, 3:34pm; Reply: 16
Good shout chaos good striker.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 1, 2017, 3:34pm; Reply: 17
Are we only allowed to sign two types of players? Former players and players who have played well against us!  ;)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 1, 2017, 3:40pm; Reply: 18
When will the retained/released list be announced?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 1, 2017, 3:44pm; Reply: 19
Splash out on Akinde-pen, no idea if this is attainable
Posted by: golfer, May 1, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Hagrid
the shop  ;)

At the moment which strikers on Towns books are better-be honest
Posted by: Bigdog, May 1, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 21
Danny Andrew
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 1, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Bolarwinwas brother - Moses Odubajo, he's been out for a year with a serious knee injury picked up when Hull played Town in that friendly at Blundell Park, maybe we can get him on loan for a few months to help him back to full match fitness and do Grimsby and Hull a favor as well by getting full games. Played under Slade at Leyton Orient so you never know, and at least Championship quality lol.

Bolarwinwa on the right wing, Odubajo in the right back position, they would know each other inside out, he can also play on the right wing too.

Right back is a position that doesn't concern me, especially when the player suggested would have been first choice in the Prem this year and probably on as much money as our whole squad.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 1, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bigdog
Danny Andrew

WHS!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 1, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Bolarwinwas brother - Moses Odubajo, he's been out for a year with a serious knee injury picked up when Hull played Town in that friendly at Blundell Park, maybe we can get him on loan for a few months to help him back to full match fitness and do Grimsby and Hull a favor as well by getting full games. Played under Slade at Leyton Orient so you never know, and at least Championship quality lol.

Bolarwinwa on the right wing, Odubajo in the right back position, they would know each other inside out, he can also play on the right wing too.

Great theory but it wont cure Tom's habit of making great runs that end up delivering nothing, love his attitude but RS and PW have a lot f work to do with him in the close season,  
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 1, 2017, 8:06pm; Reply: 25
Fejiri Okenabirhie Dagenham and Redbridge left winger, although he has another year left on his contract though.
Posted by: mariner91, May 1, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
Fejiri Okenabirhie Dagenham and Redbridge left winger, although he has another year left on his contract though.

If we were going to sign someone from Dagenham I'd much rather go for Oliver Hawkins.
Posted by: golfer, May 1, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from golfer

At the moment which strikers on Towns books are better-be honest

Nobody has answered yet
Posted by: PPMariner, May 1, 2017, 10:21pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from golfer

Nobody has answered yet

Three goals in 29 league games since he left us.

Eight seasons with a highest goals-per-season return of six...before being an ever-present and bagging 16 in his final season with us.

The season after (whilst he's scoring 3 goals), both of his replacements eclipse his incredibly outlying (career-wise) tally of 16. One almost doubling it, and the other beating it despite spending a third of the season, or more, on the bench.

Sam Jones - generally not even considered a forward - has more goals since he joined in Jan than The Shop since he left (and more in his career). Dyson has more, Disley has the same and even Chris Clements has more.

Asante has been a tad absent but his record looks far superior (not to account for comparisons between their potential). Adi Yussuf almost had as many goals after two games as LJL has scored since he left - and he appears maybe not to have a future here.

In short - I plumped for Dean Henderson as 'best signing' but I've changed my mind...I want John Lewis back.
Posted by: acko338, May 1, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 29
Is L JL playing again yet since his injury??

surely he will need some game time before ANY manager risks loking at him?
Posted by: golfer, May 1, 2017, 11:12pm; Reply: 30
came on as sub at the weekend
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 1, 2017, 11:36pm; Reply: 31
Goal scoring was never his strength though, and I think we can all acknowledge that he was a great striker to play off as displayed by palmer.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 2, 2017, 12:15am; Reply: 32
Aaron Chapman (Accrington keeper)
Posted by: Meza, May 2, 2017, 6:21am; Reply: 33
I see Chesterfield have released 11 players.  The only one i know is Ebanks-Blake.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 2, 2017, 8:50am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Meza
I see Chesterfield have released 11 players.  The only one i know is Ebanks-Blake.

That'd be a proper Mike Newell signing!
Posted by: ginnywings, May 2, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 35
I have no idea to be honest. I expect a collective "who"? and a quick search of Google will apply to most signings.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 2, 2017, 9:56am; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
I have no idea to be honest. I expect a collective "who"? and a quick search of Google will apply to most signings.

I agree, Slade has a vast  knowledge of higher league players ie, championship reserve  and League 1 players, Wilko also has a lot of experience  watching under 23 games,

So between them they will bring in those types of players and will not look at the non league,

Whoever we sign I am confident they will improve our squad.
Posted by: sam gy, May 2, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 37
Someone who either Slade or Wilko have worked with in the past, that is willing to drop to our level if they're not already down here.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, May 2, 2017, 12:17pm; Reply: 38
James Collins from Crawley one of the best I have seen all season in both games target man quick strong and looks a natural finisher we must move forward not backwards with ex town players being mentioned !!! Exciting times over the summer with rumours etc let's hope we get it right and start the season strongly for once UTM !!!
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 2, 2017, 12:43pm; Reply: 39
He's on a 3 year contract though, will cost a bomb to get him.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 2, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 40
Hopefully no one who has played for us before (Henderson aside).
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 2, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 41
The trialist, Sirike Dembele sounded decent and we need real pace on the wings.

Other than that its difficult to say at the moment until teams retained lists come out which I believe isn't until the mid and end of the this month.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 2, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Stew0_0
The trialist, Sirike Dembele sounded decent and we need real pace on the wings.

Other than that its difficult to say at the moment until teams retained lists come out which I believe isn't until the mid and end of the this month.

Any decent club will have compiled a list of player targets who are out of contract in the summer already.. Slade has said he has targets in mind already.

It's pretty much like after Saturday, Danny Andrew isn't our player any more than any other club. The club has access to official lists and managers should have had agents bombarding their phones already..It's a year round rolling process rather than everything starts then everything stops just because the transfer window is either open or shut..
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 2, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 43
Dembele sounded like he was the only one on the pitch, from the text commentary on the reserve game. Whether he's actually as good as that seemed is obviously hard to tell, but Slade sounded interested, so he could potentially be an exciting signing.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 2, 2017, 2:12pm; Reply: 44
Ryan Bennett released from Norwich
Posted by: livosnose, May 2, 2017, 2:26pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Ryan Bennett released from Norwich

Bang goes the England appearance bonus then........never seen a defender get so rinsed by Suarez ( granted a world class player)
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 2, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 46
To be fair, John Ruddy has been released too. I imagine in both cases they would prefer Premier League Football.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 2, 2017, 2:56pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
To be fair, John Ruddy has been released too. I imagine in both cases they would prefer Premier League Football.

And were both on Premier League wages!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 2, 2017, 4:36pm; Reply: 48
If Bennett gets a Premier League club I'll be very surprised. (But am often thus)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 2, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Abdul19
If Bennett gets a Premier League club I'll be very surprised. (But am often thus)

Agreed, but I would be equally surprised if he dropped below Championship level.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 2, 2017, 5:42pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed, but I would be equally surprised if he dropped below Championship level.

Agreed (for the record, I wasn't suggesting we would be signing him!)
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 2, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He's never been a regular at Norwich, which suggests he may well have to drop either a division or sign for a struggling Championship team.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 2, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 52

He's never been a regular at Norwich, which suggests he may well have to drop either a division or sign for a struggling Championship team.

37 games this season. That's pretty regular
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 2, 2017, 5:58pm; Reply: 53
Back to Ipswich maybe.
Posted by: Garth, May 2, 2017, 7:16pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Back to Ipswich maybe.

The Posh would be my bet
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 2, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 55
T'blades
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 2, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Back to Ipswich maybe.

Could be. He's Mick McCarthy's sort of centre back. He's what we used to call a good repeat defender because every time he wins the ball and passes, it comes straight back and he has to repeat the tackle. I can't see he would be capable at a higher level but Ipswich might suit both parties.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 2, 2017, 8:42pm; Reply: 57
He is married to a Grimsby girl so you never know,

He also gave £25,000 to the junior team when he moved to Norwich,

So worth a try, I know money talks ,

BUT

Nothing is every thing about money.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 2, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 58
You try persuading his agent that's a good move
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 2, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 59
It would arguably be the biggest coup in years if Bennett signed.

Due to the Grimsby connection he would be more likely to end up at Scunthorpe but I suspect he will stay around Suffolk/Norfolk as it is commutable to many of the clubs around London too.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, May 2, 2017, 10:07pm; Reply: 60
Serge Makofu
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 2, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Cayman_mariner
Serge Makofu

The four goals he scored here is the most he's scored for any club anywhere.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, May 2, 2017, 10:53pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Matt Godden - out of contract at the end of the season, nailed 20 goals in 36 league appearances for Stevenage.

Good Call Nelly - him and James Collins are the best shouts so far for me.  

Henderson too but doubt we would get him back if the rumours of reasons for him leaving are true.

Posted by: chaos33, May 2, 2017, 11:15pm; Reply: 63
Shay McCartan from Accrington would be worth considering too I reckon.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 2, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 64
I'm not sure any of these are realistic to be honest.
Posted by: Grantley, May 3, 2017, 12:58am; Reply: 65
This is just listing some of the best players in League 2. If they're the best in the league, why would they come here (unless we offered them a fair wedge)?
Posted by: Davec, May 3, 2017, 6:26am; Reply: 66
Nathan Clarke a 33 year old centre back, Slade had him at Orient and at Coventry, and yesterday he got released by Coventry
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 3, 2017, 7:27am; Reply: 67
Any good prospects from non league?
Considering our standout performers this year most of them come from non league and not the other direction.. Andrew, Mills, Pearson and Osbourne when he has come in.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 3, 2017, 7:43am; Reply: 68
I think the way to go for a club like ours is cherry picking the best from leagues below and young players released from leagues above. As long as we get enough experience in the starting eleven we need to continue unearthing young talent like Bogle, Mills, Osborne, S. Jones etc. Getting it right on the pitch and developing saleable assets at the same time is crucial..
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2017, 7:45am; Reply: 69
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Any good prospects from non league?
Considering our standout performers this year most of them come from non league and not the other direction.. Andrew, Mills, Pearson and Osbourne when he has come in.

Andrew didn't come from non league. We only got him because of his injury record and i wouldn't be surprised if he went back to League 1 now he is fit. Hope he stays though.
Posted by: malkamalka, May 3, 2017, 9:30am; Reply: 70
Could also look in Scotland.

Find the next Matt Tees, maybe ;-)
Posted by: Garth, May 3, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 71
Quoted from malkamalka
Could also look in Scotland.

Find the next Matt Tees, maybe ;-)

Or maybe another eleven Gunnings with blue facepaint ;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 3, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 72
Where they will come from I don't know and I have no names to offer but I would suggest RS will be looking for an on-field general either to play CB or CM

The best teams are the consistent ones and RS has already identified inconsistency as a key failing. Usually, consistent sides have that sort of player. Not always the very best in the team but the best at keeping everyone's standards high week in, week out. Someone with character like Joe Waters or Paul Groves.
Posted by: chaos33, May 3, 2017, 12:04pm; Reply: 73
Grantley, I can't see the problem in recruiting good players from L2. Makes sense doesn't it, and shows ambition coupled with pragmatism, and poses a lower risk - Collins and McCartan are proven at L2 level and provide qualities we don't currently posess. Plus, neither are playing for big or rich clubs at this level in Crawley and Accrington. We are a big hitter in L2 in terms of our size, support and history and ought to have a good chance of promotion next season if we project enough actual ambition to back that. Maybe said players would consider it a step up to sign for Grimsby from their current clubs.

I can't see why we should confine our signings strategy to promising conference players or youngsters/released players from higher levels. Mix it up a bit. They are both great ages for their respective roles.

Actually, both are still under contract and likely to attract a fair bit of attention I reckon.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 74
I think as long as he is not let out to p1ss in a pint glass James Collins would add something to GTFC.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2017, 4:05pm; Reply: 75
I think as long as he is not let out to p1ss in a pint glass James Collins would add something to GTFC.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 3, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 76
Jay O'Shea from chesterfield could be a good signing
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 3, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 77
Northampton have released their keeper (Adam Smith) who has played 94 games in 2 seasons.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 3, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Jay O'Shea from chesterfield could be a good signing

Just scored 3 in 10 from midfield on loan for promoted Sheffield united.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 79
Michael Bostwick transfer listed by Posh. Would love to see him here, proper leader. Coulthirst from Posh released as well. Scored 5 goals in 12 games on loan at Mansfield in the last few months. Not the most technically gifted but a proper athlete and would give us some much needed physicality.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Northampton have released their keeper (Adam Smith) who has played 94 games in 2 seasons.

Zander Diamond wouldn't be a bad signing either although probably not the most mobile centre back.
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 3, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 81
Some of the names being touted on here are pie in the sky stuff sorry to break it to you... Jay O'shea has spent the second half of the season on loan at Sheff U and only been released by Chesterfield because they're in the shite financially and Bostwick has interest from the Championship according to a posh mate of mine, they tend to transfer list players in the final year of their deals to make a bob or two from them.

Lee Angol from posh wouldn't be a bad shout though although I suspect we'd be competing with the Gimps for his signature.
Posted by: mariner91, May 3, 2017, 4:35pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Mariners_15
Some of the names being touted on here are pie in the sky stuff sorry to break it to you... Jay O'shea has spent the second half of the season on loan at Sheff U and only been released by Chesterfield because they're in the shite financially and Bostwick has interest from the Championship according to a posh mate of mine, they tend to transfer list players in the final year of their deals to make a bob or two from them.

Lee Angol from posh wouldn't be a bad shout though although I suspect we'd be competing with the Gimps for his signature.

That makes more sense, did wonder why he was transfer listed!
Posted by: Grantley, May 3, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from chaos33
Grantley, I can't see the problem in recruiting good players from L2. Makes sense doesn't it, and shows ambition coupled with pragmatism, and poses a lower risk - Collins and McCartan are proven at L2 level and provide qualities we don't currently posess. Plus, plus neither are playing for big or rich clubs at this level in Crawley and Accrington. We are a big hitter in L2 in terms of our size, support and history and ought to have a good chance of promotion next season if we project enough actual ambition to back that. Maybe said players would consider it a step up to sign for Grimsby from their current clubs. I can't see why we should confine our signings strategy to promising conference players or youngsters/released players from higher levels. Mix it up a bit. They are both great ages for their respective roles.

Actually, both are still under contract and likely to attract a fair bit of attention I reckon.

You misunderstand me. I'd love to sign the best players from League 2, my argument was that it's highly unlikely we'll get them due to contract length/wages/interest from higher clubs. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and sign them. I just don't want us going over the odds for them.  :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 84
Mariner91 mentioned Michael Bostwick, saw him in a few games when he was at Stevenage decent player then as long as his legs have not gone he would be a decent addition
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 3, 2017, 7:42pm; Reply: 85
Played golf in Nottingham today and the Bar Steward (no pun) is a former footballer, Mike Galloway, who played for RS as a junior at Notts County & has been employed by RS in the past to do Pro-zone reports on opposition and he told me he will be doing this for GTFC next year.

Interesting to hear him talk about RS, especially his time at Orient, & he explained what a great motivator & man manager he is & how players loved playing for him, stating Kevin Lisbie refused moves to higher placed clubs as he enjoyed his time with RS. Also re his time at Cardiff ho the reduced playing budget by £2M per annum whilst achieving 8th place & how there were 50+ back room staff including 3 goalkeeping coaches when RS arrived.

Made me feel a little more confident re the future & also suggests that RS is likely to go back for players he knows & they are likely to want to play for him again. I await announcements on player front with interest.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 86
Good insight LM. Let's hope we get a few gems signed.
Posted by: mariner91, May 4, 2017, 12:04am; Reply: 87
Just doing some research in to players that RS has worked with before and a possible would be Jamie Ness? Had him on loan whilst at Leyton Orient and Ness has spent the last two seasons at Scunny so is local to the area. Unlikely to be offered a new contract as he's only played 15 times this season.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 4, 2017, 1:53am; Reply: 88
Untouchable?
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2017, 8:49am; Reply: 89
Quoted from mariner91
Just doing some research in to players that RS has worked with before and a possible would be Jamie Ness? Had him on loan whilst at Leyton Orient and Ness has spent the last two seasons at Scunny so is local to the area. Unlikely to be offered a new contract as he's only played 15 times this season.

Not good enough for Crew, Orient or Scunthorpe, doubt he would be on Slade`s shopping list IMO
Posted by: mariner91, May 4, 2017, 9:30am; Reply: 90
Why does going on loan at a team mean a player isn't good enough for them? By that logic Conor Townsend, Ollie Palmer and Nathan Pond weren't good enough for us because we didn't sign them permanently.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 4, 2017, 10:40am; Reply: 91
Michael Cheek? Braintree finished 3rd from bottom, and he was joint 4th top scorer with 19
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2017, 10:43am; Reply: 92
Quoted from mariner91
Why does going on loan at a team mean a player isn't good enough for them? By that logic Conor Townsend, Ollie Palmer and Nathan Pond weren't good enough for us because we didn't sign them permanently.

Because if they are any good and available clubs would try to follow through with a signing. non of the above were available due either to their personal choice or their clubs requirements, and a loan was made available to give them match fitness after injury which was a win win situation.

Jamie Ness however was a free signing for Scunny, Crew and Orient with no intentions of keeping him.
Posted by: mariner91, May 4, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Garth

Because if they are any good and available clubs would try to follow through with a signing. non of the above were available due either to their personal choice or their clubs requirements, and a loan was made available to give them match fitness after injury which was a win win situation.

Jamie Ness however was a free signing for Scunny, Crew and Orient with no intentions of keeping him.

Ah I see, so a player signs for one side and that instantly discounts anyone else being interested at any point.

You have no idea if either of those sides wanted to sign him, he was maybe offered a deal and turned them down. I don't know if that's true anymore than you do but you can't just make assumptions. Crewe liked him enough to extend his loan to the whole season.

In fact, a quick google search showed me that Crewe did try to sign him but he chose to sign for Scunny instead. http://m.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/jamie-ness-impact-for-scunthorpe-praised-by-graham-alexander/story-30278847-detail/story.html Clearly useless though because Garth said so.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 4, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 94
i think we may be barking up the wrong tree with this one.
i suspect that a number of his signings will be youngsters who he and/or wilkinson have had dealings with. If you think about it we already have a number of experienced players contracted (summerfield and berrett, amazingly, have each played nearly 300 games each) plus Vernon and hopefully Collins & Disley.
Therefore it is not experience we are lacking, it's pace and creativity, which can be provided by new younger,hungry players coming in
Posted by: Garth, May 4, 2017, 11:15am; Reply: 95
Quoted from mariner91

Ah I see, so a player signs for one side and that instantly discounts anyone else being interested at any point.

You have no idea if either of those sides wanted to sign him, he was maybe offered a deal and turned them down. I don't know if that's true anymore than you do but you can't just make assumptions. Crewe liked him enough to extend his loan to the whole season.

Its all ifs, buts and maybe`s, for me I would be looking for proven player who has spent some time at a club and therefore probably a consistent performer in League football, not someone bouncing about clubs like a pin ball
Posted by: StaffsMariner, May 4, 2017, 5:10pm; Reply: 96
Championship players out of contract. RS may know a few of them

Aston Villa:

Libor Kozak
Mark Bunn

Barnsley:

Marley Watkins
Josh Scowen
Aidy White
Callum Evans
Elliot Lee
Ryan Williams
Charlie Harris
Jack Cowgill

Birmingham City:

Tomasz Kuszczak
Jonathan Grounds
Adam Legzdins
Paul Robinson
Charlee Adams
Koby Arthur
Reece Brown

Blackburn Rovers:

Jason Lowe
Danny Guthrie
Adam Henley
Hope Akpan
Wes Brown
Gordon Greer

Brentford:

Florian Jozefzoon
Alan McCormack

Brighton & Hove Albion:

Dale Stephens
David Stockdale
Vegard Forren
Gaetan Bong
Steve Sidwell
Niki Maenpaa
Christian Walton
Casper Ankergren

Bristol City:

Aaron Wilbraham

Burton Albion:

Stephen Bywater
Damien McCrory
Tom Flanagan
Marcus Harness
Ben Fox
Ben Turner
Marvin Sordell
Lloyd Dyer
John Mousinho
Lee Williamson
Jon McLaughlin
Lucas Akins
Tom Naylor
Matt Palmer

Cardiff City:

Peter Whittingham
Junior Hoilett
Bruno Ecuele Manga
Kadeem Harris
Rhys Healey

Derby County:

Darren Bent
Cyrus Christie
Chris Baird

Fulham:

Scott Parker
Jesse Joronen

Huddersfield Town:

Dean Whitehead

Ipswich Town:

Steven Taylor
Christophe Berra
Luke Chambers
Dean Gerken
Jordan Spence
Jonathan Douglas
Giles Coke
Myles Kenlock
Michael Crowe
Paul Digby

Leeds United:

Pablo Hernandez
Charlie Taylor
Souleymane Doukara
Ross Turnbull

Newcastle United:

Vurnon Anita
Yoan Gouffran
Sammy Ameobi
Haris Vuckic

Nottingham Forest:

Chris Cohen
David Vaughan
Matty Fryatt
Michael Mancienne
Eric Lichaj

Norwich City:

John Ruddy
Sebastien Bassong
Youssouf Mulumbu
Ryan Bennett
Kyle Lafferty
Michael Turner
Steven Whittaker
Louis Thompson
Conor McGrandles

Preston North End:

Matthew Hudson
Jermaine Beckford
Paul Gallagher
Anders Lindegaard

QPR:

Karl Henry
Jamie Mackie
Reece Grego-Cox

Reading:

Dominic Hyam
Aaron Kuhl

Rotherham United:

Danny Ward
Richard Smallwood
Joe Mattock
Kelvin Wilson
Richard Wood
Stephen Kelly
Jonson Clarke-Harris

Sheffield Wednesday:

Urby Emanuelson
Kieran Lee
Ross Wallace
Jose Semedo
Cameron Dawson
Joe Wildsmith

Wigan Athletic:

Jussi Jaaskelainen
David Perkins
Stephen Warnock
Craig Morgan

Wolves:

George Saville
Silvio
Mike Williamson
Jack Price

Read more: http://www.bolton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=489665#ixzz4g7vWCVBq
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 4, 2017, 5:12pm; Reply: 97
I think you're wasting your time looking at that list. Most of them will be on more than our first team combined.
Posted by: sam gy, May 4, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 98
Can someone with a lot of time on their hands just make a list of all of the players that either Slade or Wilko have ever worked with in the past, that are out of contract please?

Ta'.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think you're wasting your time looking at that list. Most of them will be on more than our first team combined.

Guessing that RS knows of Rhys Healey from Cardiff who was scoring for fun on his loan to Newport.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, May 4, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 100
Likely to be on less than the Championship

2016/17 League One Contract Expiry – Summer 2017

AFC Wimbledon – Joe McDonnell, Paul Robinson, Tom Elliott, Andy Barcham, James Shea, Dannie Bulman, Tyrone Barnett, Tom Beere, George Oakley, David Fitzpatrick, Will Nightingale, Dan Gallagher, Egli Kaja

Bolton Wanderers – Lewis Buxton, David Wheater, Dorian Dervite, Mark Davies, Liam Trotter, Lawrie Wilson, Jay Spearing, Gary Madine, Dean Moxey, Max Clayton, Tom Walker, Yvan Wassi

Bradford City – Matthew Kilgallon, Tony McMahon, Stephen Darby, Filipe Morais, Rouven Sattelmaier, Rory McArdle, Mark Marshall, James Hanson, Vincent Rabiega, Ville Moilanen

Bristol Rovers – Steve Mildenhall, Liam Lawrence, Mark McChrystal, Lee Mansell, Will Puddy, James Clarke, Cristian Montano, Lee Brown, Rory Gaffney, Ellis Harrison, Jake Gosling, Alfie Kilgour

Bury – Paul Rachubka, Chris Brown, Tom Soares, Ishmael Miller, Kelvin Etuhu, Jacob Mellis, Craig Jones, Andrew Tutte, Niall Maher, Anthony Dudley, Reece Brown

Charlton Athletic – Andrew Crofts, Roger Johnson, Adam Chicksen, Ezri Konsa, Oliver Muldoon, Anfernee Dijksteel, Terrell Thomas

Chesterfield – Ian Evatt, Dan Jones, Angel Martinez, Sam Herd, Ched Evans, Ritchie Humphreys, Jon Nolan, Dan Gardner, Lloyd Allinson, Rai Simons, Charlie Raglan

Coventry City – Marcus Tudgay, Vladimir Gadzhev, Chris Stokes, Gael Bigirimana, Lee Burge, Ruben Lameiras, George Thomas, Jack Finch, Dion Kelly-Evans, Andy Rose, Jacob Whitmore, Devon Kelly-Evans, Kyle Spence, Kevin Foley, Nathan Clarke

Fleetwood – Victor Nirennold, Jimmy Ryan, Bobby Grant, Martyn Woolford, David Ball, Conor McLaughlin, Joe Davis, Devante Cole, Amari’i Bell, Eggert Jonsson, Akil Wright, Nick Haughton, Spencer Myers, Oliver Roberts

Gillingham – Paul Konchesky, Chris Herd, Rory Donnelly, Ryan Jackson, Emmanuel Osadebe

Millwall – Noah Chesmain, Tony Craig, Nadjim Abdou, Shaun Cummings, Joe Martin, Shane Ferguson, Steve Morison, Tom King, Fred Onyedinma, Alfie Pavey, David Forde, Paris Cowan-Hall, Paul Rooney, Kyron Farrell, Christian Mbulu

MK Dons – Oran Jackson, Ben Tilney, Dean Bowditch, Dean Lewington, David Martin, Darren Potter, Nicky Maynard, Daniel Powell, Chuks Aneke, George Baldock, Joe Walsh, Ben Reeves, Charlie Burns

Northampton – Emmanuel Sonupe, Marc Richards, Matthew Taylor, Zander Diamond, Paul Anderson, Gabriel Zakuani, John-Joe O’Toole, Alfie Potter, Adam Smith

Oldham Athletic – Peter Clarke, Paul Green, Josh Law, Jamie Reckord, Carl Winchester, Chris Kettings, Ryan McLaughlin, Darius Osei

Oxford Utd – Robbie Cundy, Jonny Giles, Chris Maguire, Simon Eastwood, Ryan Taylor, Benji Buchel, Alex MacDonald, Liam Sercombe, John Lundstram, Chey Dunkley, Sam Long, Josh Ashby, Canice Carroll, Miles Welch-Hayes, Jack Stevens

Peterborough Utd – Mark Tyler, Paul Taylor, Deon Moore, Dion Curtis-Henry

Port Vale – Nathan Ferguson, Sebastien Amoros, Jerome Thomas, Adam Yates, Anthony Grant, Sam Foley, Ben Purkiss, Gezim Shalaj, Sam Kelly, Remie Streete, Ryan Boot, Sam Johnson, J.J.Hooper

Rochdale – Oliver Rathbone, Brian Barry-Murphy, Steve Collis, Steve Davies, Reuben Noble-Lazarus, Donal McDermott, Matthew Lund, Nathan Mendez-Laing, Joe Rafferty, Joe Bunney, Jamie Allen, Scott Tanser, Johny Diba, Andy Cannon, James Hooper, Andy Hollins, Matty Gillam, Conrad Logan

Scunthorpe Utd – Levi Sutton, Scott Wiseman, Neal Bishop, Luke Daniels, Joe Anyon, David Mirfin, Stephen Dawson, Jamie Ness, Jordan Clarke, Tom Hopper, Hakeeb Adelakun, Charlie Goode, Jack King, Kyle Wootton, Craig Davies

Sheffield Utd – Billy Sharp, Chris Basham, Matt Done, James Wallace, Paul Coutts, Stefan Scougall, Kieron Freeman, Marc McNulty, Jake Wright, Ben Whiteman

Shrewsbury Town – Ethan Jones, Mat Sadler, Ian Black, Abu Ogogo, Shaun Whalley, Mark Halstead, Shaun Rowley, Callum Grogan

Southend Utd – Anton Ferdinand, Marc-Antoine Fortune, Michael Timlin, Adam Barrett, John White, Anthony Wordsworth, Will Atkinson, Dave Mooney, Luke O’Neill, Ryan Leonard, Adam Thompson, Jason Williams, Zavon Hines

Swindon Town – Jordan Stewart, Yaser Kasim, Jonathan Obika, Nathan Delfouneso, Nathan Thompson, Anton Rodgers, Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill, Jamie Sendles-White, Raphael, Bradley Barry, Ellis Iandolo, Jermaine Hylton

Walsall – Kacy Butterfield, Jordan Sangha, Adam Chambers, Franck Moussa, Isaiah Osbourne, Neil Etheridge, Florent Cuvelier, Craig MacGillivray, Matt Preston, Liam Roberts, Theo Vassell
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 4, 2017, 6:16pm; Reply: 101
Would have Nolan back in a heartbeat.
Posted by: Meza, May 4, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 102
Billy Sharp surely thats not right.

Ah contract expiry but not yet released??
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2017, 7:08pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Mariner_09
Would have Nolan back in a heartbeat.

Why?
Posted by: sam gy, May 4, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why?

Because he's a good player?
Posted by: Davec, May 4, 2017, 7:37pm; Reply: 105
I thought Jon Nolan signed a 3 year deal with Chesterfield?
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 4, 2017, 7:39pm; Reply: 106
He's get in my team now, would be excellent in a midfield 3, a proper footballer who can get a goal.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2017, 7:40pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from sam gy

Because he's a good player?

He was OK in the Conference as long as the team was picked to accommodate him. Personally, I'd rather sign Vose and I'm not a massive fan of him either.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He was OK in the Conference as long as the team was picked to accommodate him. Personally, I'd rather sign Vose and I'm not a massive fan of him either.

Have you seen him outside of the conference?
Posted by: Bigdog, May 4, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Championship players out of contract. RS may know a few of them

Aston Villa:

Libor Kozak
Mark Bunn

Barnsley:

Marley Watkins
Josh Scowen
Aidy White
Callum Evans
Elliot Lee
Ryan Williams
Charlie Harris
Jack Cowgill

Birmingham City:

Tomasz Kuszczak
Jonathan Grounds
Adam Legzdins
Paul Robinson
Charlee Adams
Koby Arthur
Reece Brown

Blackburn Rovers:

Jason Lowe
Danny Guthrie
Adam Henley
Hope Akpan
Wes Brown
Gordon Greer

Brentford:

Florian Jozefzoon
Alan McCormack

Brighton & Hove Albion:

Dale Stephens
David Stockdale
Vegard Forren
Gaetan Bong
Steve Sidwell
Niki Maenpaa
Christian Walton
Casper Ankergren

Bristol City:

Aaron Wilbraham

Burton Albion:

Stephen Bywater
Damien McCrory
Tom Flanagan
Marcus Harness
Ben Fox
Ben Turner
Marvin Sordell
Lloyd Dyer
John Mousinho
Lee Williamson
Jon McLaughlin
Lucas Akins
Tom Naylor
Matt Palmer

Cardiff City:

Peter Whittingham
Junior Hoilett
Bruno Ecuele Manga
Kadeem Harris
Rhys Healey

Derby County:

Darren Bent
Cyrus Christie
Chris Baird

Fulham:

Scott Parker
Jesse Joronen

Huddersfield Town:

Dean Whitehead

Ipswich Town:

Steven Taylor
Christophe Berra
Luke Chambers
Dean Gerken
Jordan Spence
Jonathan Douglas
Giles Coke
Myles Kenlock
Michael Crowe
Paul Digby

Leeds United:

Pablo Hernandez
Charlie Taylor
Souleymane Doukara

Ross Turnbull

Newcastle United:

Vurnon Anita
Yoan Gouffran
Sammy Ameobi
Haris Vuckic

Nottingham Forest:

Chris Cohen
David Vaughan
Matty Fryatt
Michael Mancienne
Eric Lichaj

Norwich City:

John Ruddy
Sebastien Bassong
Youssouf Mulumbu
Ryan Bennett

Kyle Lafferty
Michael Turner
Steven Whittaker
Louis Thompson
Conor McGrandles

Preston North End:

Matthew Hudson
Jermaine Beckford
Paul Gallagher
Anders Lindegaard

QPR:

Karl Henry
Jamie Mackie
Reece Grego-Cox

Reading:

Dominic Hyam
Aaron Kuhl

Rotherham United:

Danny Ward
Richard Smallwood
Joe Mattock
Kelvin Wilson
Richard Wood
Stephen Kelly
Jonson Clarke-Harris

Sheffield Wednesday:

Urby Emanuelson
Kieran Lee
Ross Wallace
Jose Semedo
Cameron Dawson
Joe Wildsmith

Wigan Athletic:

Jussi Jaaskelainen
David Perkins
Stephen Warnock
Craig Morgan

Wolves:

George Saville
Silvio
Mike Williamson
Jack Price

Read more: http://www.bolton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=489665#ixzz4g7vWCVBq

There ya go RS, summer transfer window sorted..
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 4, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 110
A lot of those out of contract players in the League One/Championship will be offered new deals. First thing I did was google Peter Whittingham because he's a good player, and yep he's been offered a new deal at Cardiff.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 5, 2017, 9:02am; Reply: 111
Tom Elliott from Wimbledon would be a good signing, always looked a very good player

Hakeeb Adelakun would also be a good winger from Scunthorpe
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 5, 2017, 9:20am; Reply: 112
Dare I say it, but a few good options for this level released by Scunny

Scunthorpe Utd – Levi Sutton, Scott Wiseman, Neal Bishop, Luke Daniels, Joe Anyon, David Mirfin, Stephen Dawson, Jamie Ness, Jordan Clarke, Tom Hopper, Hakeeb Adelakun, Charlie Goode, Jack King, Kyle Wootton, Craig Davies
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 5, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 113
Brave releasing your players while you're still in the playoffs....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 5, 2017, 10:05am; Reply: 114
Quoted from Stew0_0
Dare I say it, but a few good options for this level released by Scunny

They haven't been released - they are out of contract. I'm sure that Alexander and Swann will do their list after rather than before their season has ended.
Posted by: sam gy, May 5, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 115
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fair doos, but I feel Jon Nolan contributed far more in half a season for us than Vose has come close to in a full season. I realise it was a league lower, but since then Nolan has gone on to play 30 odd games in the league above us this season.

Anyway, like someone said - i was sure he'd signed at Chesterfield for longer than a year?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 5, 2017, 12:27pm; Reply: 116
i would be happy with Vose & Nolan
Posted by: Chris Packit, May 5, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 117
Willing to bet that neither Vose nor Nolan is the type of player Slade is after. I wonder if PH is so keen now he's a L1 manager?
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 5, 2017, 7:18pm; Reply: 118
Hakeeb Adelakun is an interesting one, bags of talent but has fallen out of favour a bit at Scunny and he's had a few issues there. Maybe RS could get the best out him.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 5, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from jimgtfc
Hakeeb Adelakun is an interesting one, bags of talent but has fallen out of favour a bit at Scunny and he's had a few issues there. Maybe RS could get the best out him.

Wasn't the Scunny manager quite as saying Adelakun wasn't getting picked because he wasn't putting it in during training
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 5, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Cloudy

Wasn't the Scunny manager quite as saying Adelakun wasn't getting picked because he wasn't putting it in during training

Which is why Vose hasn't been getting picked by us.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 5, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Guessing that RS knows of Rhys Healey from Cardiff who was scoring for fun on his loan to Newport.

He was playing for Cardiff early this year but had a serious knee injury and is currently out till around Xmas. Think they held him in quite high regard before he got injured.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 6, 2017, 7:57am; Reply: 122
Marc McNulty released by Sheffield U
Posted by: psgmariner, May 6, 2017, 12:20pm; Reply: 123
Remember this guy?

http://altrinchamfc.co.uk/news.htm#170506damian

Him, Michael Bridges and Robbie Fowler up front pls Russ.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, May 6, 2017, 1:46pm; Reply: 124
Stefan scougall released by sheffield united
Posted by: livosnose, May 6, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from psgmariner
Remember this guy?

http://altrinchamfc.co.uk/news.htm#170506damian

Him, Michael Bridges and Robbie Fowler up front pls Russ.

Alan Goodhall their captain and the other Gary Jones still playing .....

Posted by: jimgtfc, May 7, 2017, 1:53pm; Reply: 126
Nathan Thomas from Hartlepool? Left footed winger with an eye for goal. Will attract plenty of interest but worth a look surely.
Posted by: Garth, May 7, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 127
Reeves, going to Donny isn`t he?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 7, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 128
Nathan Thomas has apparently agreed to join Sheff Wednesday
Posted by: Garth, May 7, 2017, 2:55pm; Reply: 129
Good match as it was I would like to whisper truthfully that I could see a class difference between a lot of the Plymouth players and our up and coming youngsters especially up front in the goal scoring department.

In fact take away McAllister, Collins, Andrew, Pearson and possibly Dis, the fight was there but it was crying out for some deft touches of football skill as was obvious in the last half hour, Plymouth had players in abundance who were capable of this but for whatever reason could not produce it when it mattered, helped by a gritty defence from the five players above.

We require new blood all over positions wise IMO to progress to next seasons playoffs at least, I have a feeling between Slade and Wilko that they feel pretty confident they have a basis here with a few additions to do something special next season. UTM
Posted by: Davec, May 7, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 130
Mickey Demeitrou?
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 9, 2017, 12:40am; Reply: 131
Chris dagnall from crewe?  Shouldnt be at this level anyway but could do better here and proven goalscoring record wherever hes played
Posted by: chaos33, May 9, 2017, 7:46am; Reply: 132
Quoted from Stew0_0
Chris dagnall from crewe?  Shouldnt be at this level anyway but could do better here and proven goalscoring record wherever hes played

Good shout.
Posted by: Grantley, May 9, 2017, 8:14am; Reply: 133
He's contracted for another year.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 9, 2017, 8:24am; Reply: 134
I remember when Dagnall was at Rochdale in L2 when we was down there in the pits and had a forward line of Dagnall, O'Grady and Le Fondre. Possibly the best L2 side I think I've ever seen us face as regards to footballing quality. They had a certain Kenny Arthur on the bench Kennedy LB who I believe went onto bigger things, Gary Jones CM and Ciaran Toner who played for us. If I'm not mistaken we got tonked 4-1 and Dagnall got a hat trick with Chambers getting a consolation for us
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 9, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 135
Chris Dagnall, good player but no ,not at 31. We need to look to the future.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 9, 2017, 10:03am; Reply: 136

I wonder if any of the Donny players will be of interest to RS -  

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11734/10869869/doncaster-rovers-release-five-first-team-players
Posted by: Cloudy, May 9, 2017, 10:30am; Reply: 137
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wonder if any of the Donny players will be of interest to RS -  

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11734/10869869/doncaster-rovers-release-five-first-team-players

Andy Williams made available, always thought he was a decent striker
Posted by: forza ivano, May 9, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 138
if Collins went elsewhere and we wanted an experienced centre half Nathan Clark's contract at Coventry is up; Slade has signed him at both Orient and Coventry
Posted by: Meza, May 9, 2017, 11:22am; Reply: 139
i can see Tudgay signing
Posted by: Hagrid, May 9, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 140
Quoted from Meza
i can see Tudgay signing

I cant
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 9, 2017, 11:32am; Reply: 141
Quoted from barrattstandman
Chris Dagnall, good player but no ,not at 31. We need to look to the future.

At 31 I would expect him still to have at least 3 good seasons left him provided he has looked after himself. Using this criteria would have meant not signing Futcher, Birtles, Whymark, Chris Nicholl et al who all did pretty good jobs in a town shirt.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 9, 2017, 11:40am; Reply: 142
McSheffrey anyone?
Posted by: forza ivano, May 9, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 143
i really don't think we're going to begetting experienced players in, especially with the wage rates that people like mcshefferyetc will be commanding.
imho it's going to be promising youngsters who were unfortunate to be released by clubs higher up the pyramid
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, May 9, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from forza ivano
i really don't think we're going to begetting experienced players in, especially with the wage rates that people like mcshefferyetc will be commanding.
imho it's going to be promising youngsters who were unfortunate to be released by clubs higher up the pyramid

We can't afford to risk one of our limited spots on a promising youngster who is a striker. If we are to get within striking distance of the playoffs we have to be sure at least one player who will knock in a good return of goals.

Posted by: mariner91, May 9, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from forza ivano

I think it'll be a mixture. He'll get in an experienced striker, I wouldn't be surprised to see an experienced central midfielder and if he doesn't sign Collins again then he'll get an experienced centre back. Possibly an experienced keeper too. Then he'll pad out the squad and the wide positions with young, hungry players who have a bit of pace.
Posted by: sam gy, May 9, 2017, 1:14pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

At 31 I would expect him still to have at least 3 good seasons left him provided he has looked after himself. Using this criteria would have meant not signing Futcher, Birtles, Whymark, Chris Nicholl et al who all did pretty good jobs in a town shirt.

Pretty sure we signed some guy called Craig Disley just before he turned 31 too. Would've been 31 at the beginning of that season i believe.
Posted by: oldun, May 9, 2017, 5:35pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from mariner91

I think it'll be a mixture. He'll get in an experienced striker, I wouldn't be surprised to see an experienced central midfielder and if he doesn't sign Collins again then he'll get an experienced centre back. Possibly an experienced keeper too. Then he'll pad out the squad and the wide positions with young, hungry players who have a bit of pace.

That is what I would do. Sensible approach.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 9, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from sam gy

Pretty sure we signed some guy called Craig Disley just before he turned 31 too. Would've been 31 at the beginning of that season i believe.

Signed dizza when he was 29. Served us very well gutted he hasn't been given one more year.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 9, 2017, 5:57pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Cloudy

Andy Williams made available, always thought he was a decent striker

I always thought he was a good singer. ;)
Posted by: sam gy, May 9, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

Signed dizza when he was 29. Served us very well gutted he hasn't been given one more year.

Right you are...and was about to turn 30. If his bday on Wikipedia is correct!

And to think people were moaning then that he was a crock  ;D
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 9, 2017, 6:28pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from sam gy

Right you are...and was about to turn 30. If his bday on Wikipedia is correct!

And to think people were moaning then that he was a crock  ;D

Haha I can't remember him being injured for us to be honest.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 10, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 152
Donaldson released by Pymouth was always a good player,
Posted by: vinno69, May 10, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 153
Matt Green anyone? For your experienced striker just released by Mansfield.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 4:48pm; Reply: 154
No, Mansfield are a comparable side to us so if they are releasing him then he clearly won't be quite good enough for us.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 10, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from vinno69
Matt Green anyone? For your experienced striker just released by Mansfield.

Decent shout for me. Mansfield fans still rate him and many of them are disappointed that he has been released. Experienced and still has a bit of pace. A few injuries last season but CDAJATL for someone.
Posted by: Meza, May 10, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 156
Jordan Slew and Jimmy Spencer released from Plymouth.  Where they any good against us.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 157
Spencer scored the goal, I'd really like to see us sign Ryan Donaldson who's also been released by Plymouth, he can strike a dead ball, something we need because we win a lot of free kicks around the box thanks to Osborne's quick feet.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from Mariner_09
Spencer scored the goal, I'd really like to see us sign Ryan Donaldson who's also been released by Plymouth, he can strike a dead ball, something we need because we win a lot of free kicks around the box thanks to Osborne's quick feet.

Was he the lad who scored for Cambridge against Gateshead in the final? Always thought he was decent, yeah (and not just because of that!)
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 11, 2017, 10:41am; Reply: 159
Matt green would be a good shout for me. 13 goals last season in a team playing a style of play not his style under evans. Probably why the managers released him. Clements came from the stags and to me has been a good signing for us.  Green also has similar qualities to reddy also - strong and fast
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 11, 2017, 10:41am; Reply: 160
Matt green would be a good shout for me. 13 goals last season in a team playing a style of play not his style under evans. Probably why the managers released him. Clements came from the stags and to me has been a good signing for us.  Green also has similar qualities to reddy also - strong and fast
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 161
I know it's no way to judge a player and there are myriad reasons why a player gets released but it doesn't feel right to be coveting a player let go by Mansfield. I think we can do better.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 162
Scunny signed the released Josh Morris, didn't go too badly did it?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2017, 11:09am; Reply: 163
I have no idea who Josh Morris is and what his past history is.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 11, 2017, 11:16am; Reply: 164
Just a transfer of interest.  Ricky Miller is still under contract at Dover.  He has not joined Peterborough yet.  The Posh have alread turned down a bid of £250K for him from another unnamed Division 1 club.  (Could even have been Scunny).
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 11:19am; Reply: 165
He was released by Bradford and signed by Scunny on a free.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 166
Quoted from Mariner_09
He was released by Bradford and signed by Scunny on a free.

Bradford a bit different to Mansfield. Just had a look and he is a midfielder who started life at Blackburn, so a bit of a different back story. Some released players do go on to make a name for themselves elsewhere but plenty of others don't. Green has mostly been successful in the conference and a bit in League 2. Maybe he would be a good signing, maybe not, but my point was that taking players released by Mansfield doesn't really get the juices flowing does it? Not for me anyway.
Posted by: Mariner_501, May 11, 2017, 11:30am; Reply: 167
But it was sound when Mansfield wanted rid of Yussuf, Ginny?
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 168
How do you know Yussuf's any good? He looked good in his first two games, was garbage against Exeter and then against Luton and Crewe and has never been seen again.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 169
Quoted from Mariner_501
But it was sound when Mansfield wanted rid of Yussuf, Ginny?

We've taken Yussuf and Clements, probably on the say so of Mickey Moore and neither has set the world on fire yet. Clements may well be a decent signing but most Mansfield fans were not that bothered at his departure. If we then get Green from them, what does that say about our ambition to have three players from a club that finished about the same as us and have been drifting along in League 2 since they got back in the league.

Green may be different, he may not, but..............
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 11, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 170
http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31551

Mansfield fans seem generally upset he's leaving though they predict he'll end up at the Gimps
Posted by: Superdan147, May 11, 2017, 1:30pm; Reply: 171
I do wonder if he was one bignot/Moore targeted for the summer. Be surprised if he wasn't tbh. Moore would of known him well
Posted by: Pogo, May 11, 2017, 1:52pm; Reply: 172
Matt Briggs released by Colchester..he played against us at home in February and I thought he was one of their best players..
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 11, 2017, 2:41pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from ginnywings

We've taken Yussuf and Clements, probably on the say so of Mickey Moore and neither has set the world on fire yet. Clements may well be a decent signing but most Mansfield fans were not that bothered at his departure. If we then get Green from them, what does that say about our ambition to have three players from a club that finished about the same as us and have been drifting along in League 2 since they got back in the league.

Green may be different, he may not, but..............

I understand what you're saying Ginny but the other factor in play here is Evans. It could be that they have had a falling out, not Evans type of player, it could be that green told them a while ago he was intending to leave and so he is listed as released. I know it would be another one from Mansfield but personally if they are a decent player and fit into our managers way of thinking and do a good job for us then I have no problem with that and wouldn't care where in the table their previous club had finished.

UTFM
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Posh Harry

I understand what you're saying Ginny but the other factor in play here is Evans. It could be that they have had a falling out, not Evans type of player, it could be that green told them a while ago he was intending to leave and so he is listed as released. I know it would be another one from Mansfield but personally if they are a decent player and fit into our managers way of thinking and do a good job for us then I have no problem with that and wouldn't care where in the table their previous club had finished.

UTFM

Yes, fully accept that and i've said there are all sorts of reasons players leave clubs and Green may well do a cracking job for someone, possibly even us.

To explain my thinking a bit more- Mansfield stormed out of the Conference with Matt Green banging goals in left right and centre, so much so that Birmingham signed him. He bombed there and went back to Mansfield where he has been steady rather than spectacular; 20 odd goals in two seasons.

Mansfield have not progressed much since they came back into the league and their board have clearly had enough, so have appointed a manager with a proven track record in Evans. He has decided that Clements, Yussuf and Green are surplus to requirements and 2 of those have already ended up here. So i ask myself if these are the type of players that will get you out of this league?

However, if we did go on to actually sign Green, then fair enough, i'll be right behind him and the others.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 11, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 175
For every Michael Leary (released by Barnet) there's a Carl Magnay (released by Gateshead).*

* Ratio not actually checked.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 11, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from Pogo
Matt Briggs released by Colchester..he played against us at home in February and I thought he was one of their best players..

Thanks for that Matt and welcome to the fishy  ;)
Posted by: Hagrid, May 11, 2017, 4:02pm; Reply: 177
that was one of the worst games ive ever seen!
Posted by: Pogo, May 11, 2017, 4:49pm; Reply: 178
Haha! Thanks Pete
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 11, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 179
Jamie's Ness released from the scunts. Played in Slades Leyton Orient side when they reached the league one play off final a few years back.

David Mirfin also released from the Scunts, very experienced centre half and rated highly by them lot.

Scott Wisemen also released, experienced right back who also will want to stay local I imagiane.

Anyon also released from them, goal keeper. Had 200+ football league appearances.

Don't know if they are any good but worth a look.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 180
I'd be staggered if he didn't get a League 1 club, he's played most games for them. Wiseman and Ness on the other hand..,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 11, 2017, 7:11pm; Reply: 181
Ness with McAllister would make a very strong base for midfield.
Posted by: Grantley, May 11, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 182
If Collins doesn't re-sign, Mirfin would be just as good, if not better.
Posted by: Superdan147, May 11, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 183
We would be absolute fools to not be considering players released from scunthorpe as much as I hate to say it! As Grimsby finest has Pointed out already. Some good quality now available from scunny and we have to use our location, league status with the aim of promotion and fans as a big pulling point. David Mirfin has had a very good career and highly rated and at 32 still has a lot to offer, Jamie ness has already played under slade albeit limited appearances. Really hope sladey is exploring these real possibilities :)  
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:56am