Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, April 12, 2017, 9:59am
Boom!
Posted by: mariner91, April 12, 2017, 10:01am; Reply: 1
Good to see RS had a nice haircut before the press conference.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 12, 2017, 10:01am; Reply: 2
he's our manager now, some may not agree but time to unite and get behind him
Posted by: Cloudy, April 12, 2017, 10:01am; Reply: 3
Lots of moaners but for me I am positive about both appointments ( for the time being at least  ;) )
Posted by: psgmariner, April 12, 2017, 10:02am; Reply: 4
Up the bleedin mariners!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 12, 2017, 10:09am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid
he's our manager now, some may not agree but time to unite and get behind him

I am not over the moon BUT he can set a team up and we will be far better off with him at the helm of that I am certain.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 12, 2017, 10:11am; Reply: 6
That's as good a management team as we could realistically expect.
Posted by: Caveman, April 12, 2017, 10:14am; Reply: 7
Perfick !
Posted by: psgmariner, April 12, 2017, 10:14am; Reply: 8
I absolutely MUST start shaking hands with people like Fenty does!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, April 12, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 9
Exciting times ahead with these two
Posted by: carrot top, April 12, 2017, 10:16am; Reply: 10
I liked the shoulder nudge JF gave RS
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 12, 2017, 10:17am; Reply: 11
Surprised no one from the media asked about Dave Moore and Andy Warrington.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 12, 2017, 10:19am; Reply: 12
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why?

Not usual for a manager at this level to bring his own physio in is it?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), April 12, 2017, 10:20am; Reply: 13
Quoted from headingly_mariner
That's as good a management team as we could realistically expect.

My thoughts  exactly.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 12, 2017, 10:20am; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

No one dare tell Dave Moore he's sacked (surrender) only kidding hopefully he will stay forever
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 12, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 15
I think Dave falls into the "job for life" bracket at GTFC
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, April 12, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 16
Why are they not saying how long his contract is?
Posted by: Bignic69, April 12, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 17
Solid appointment imo. feel a lot safer with these 2 in charge than I did with Bignot at the helm.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 18
Should have appointed him 8 years ago, so when Fenty said to him he couldn't be more pleased at the end of the press conference, i thought it was all about righting wrongs and trying to re-live the past. I didn't like Hurst and i don't like Slade, so it's a sad day for me. There i said it.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 12, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 19
Very happy with both appointments.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 12, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
Should have appointed him 8 years ago, so when Fenty said to him he couldn't be more pleased at the end of the press conference, i thought it was all about righting wrongs and trying to re-live the past. I didn't like Hurst and i don't like Slade, so it's a sad day for me. There i said it.

Shows it is all about opinions Ginny.

i liked Hurst but said very early in his tenure that  Bignot didnt sit right. All mouth and little substance but again just an opinion.

Slade and Wilkinson will do for me and i bet we finish higher next season that this
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 12, 2017, 10:27am; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Fenty told us we aren't allowed to talk about the past (fishfish)
Posted by: bluebottle, April 12, 2017, 10:28am; Reply: 22
Well it's Slade then, certainly not that keen on him. Mind you I have returned my toys to the pram after saying I would not go to the remaining games and not renew my ST. I will be there on Friday and the wife pays for my ST anyway. Let's hope both Slade and Wilko can get to grips with the squad and sort out their preferred system and players in the remaining 5 games. I must admit though to looking forward to the squad building that will have to be done. :)
Posted by: sam gy, April 12, 2017, 10:29am; Reply: 23
I think if you take away his last two jobs at troubled clubs Charlton and Coventry this season, then he's got a good pedigree, and let's not forget, finished 8th in the championship last season.

In Wilko, we've got a local legend and a highly respected coach that's been at plenty of decent clubs throughout the divisions.

I'm looking forward to having an experienced management team, and whilst i hope we continue to try and unearth non-league gems, i'm also looking forward to Wilko and Slade being able to possibly being able to attract a higher calibre of player.
Posted by: gtfc82, April 12, 2017, 10:29am; Reply: 24
I'm very pleased with that duo, especially seeing Wilko back! At least Slade thinks about what he's saying when asked a question, rather than waffling on endlessly about nothing!
Posted by: RoboCod, April 12, 2017, 10:31am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

It's going to be longer than Bignots.

i.e 6 months (twisted)
Posted by: RoboCod, April 12, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 26
Quoted from gtfc82
I'm very pleased with that duo, especially seeing Wilko back! At least Slade thinks about what he's saying when asked a question, rather than waffling on endlessly about nothing!

Questions like "What's your plans for the club after todays Play Off Final Russ?" you mean?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 12, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 27
Hope the players are looking forward to boot camp
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 10:35am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Cloudy

Shows it is all about opinions Ginny.

i liked Hurst but said very early in his tenure that  Bignot didnt sit right. All mouth and little substance but again just an opinion.

Slade and Wilkinson will do for me and i bet we finish higher next season that this

I bet we would have finished higher next season with MB but we'll never know now.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, April 12, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 29
Strange we don't know the length of the contracts I can see it as a 2 year deal possible to extend for a extra year but it's quite clear there on abit of cash
Posted by: malkamalka, April 12, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 30
The rest of this season an next I'd suggest. Thoughtful answers, a bit different to what we've become accustomed to (chat)
Posted by: Bignic69, April 12, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 31
Quoted from ginnywings

I bet we would have finished higher next season with MB but we'll never know now.

That's one bet I wouldn't be making. Relegation scrap methinks
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 12, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

It's funny how we like or don't like individuals isn't it? That's what it is about really - the fact that they are football managers is almost a side issue.

I never took to Bignot and yet I like both Hurst and Slade. I certainly am very happy with these two experienced people at the helm, who have connections with the club from the past who will give us a real competitive edge. As always you pays your money and takes your choice!
Posted by: Perkins, April 12, 2017, 10:40am; Reply: 33

Is it any of our business?, its probably so we wont know how much compo the club has to pay him when Fenty sacks him halfway through next season.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2017, 10:42am; Reply: 34
Nice to have Wilkie back.

Whenever I see him I can't help remembering Dave Booth looking at a 17 year old Paul in a junior or a reserve  game before he broke through into the first team and saying that Wilkie running was like a new born foal.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 10:43am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Perkins

Is it any of our business?, its probably so we wont know how much compo the club has to pay him when Fenty sacks him halfway through next season.

I would say it is our business, yes. Is he here for the long haul (whatever that is nowadays) or is he here to guide Wilko into the job? Will he be in charge next season and will he be seen as someone to develop the future of the club, with the youth set up and other stuff?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 12, 2017, 10:47am; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

I would say it is our business, yes. Is he here for the long haul (whatever that is nowadays) or is he here to guide Wilko into the job? Will he be in charge next season and will he be seen as someone to develop the future of the club, with the youth set up and other stuff?

We must be the only club in the country who's fans have no idea what sort of contract their manager as , i think its a rolling week one (lol)
Posted by: Perkins, April 12, 2017, 10:49am; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Think you have hit the nail on the head there, when Slade eventually gets the bullet, (because he will, they all do)  Wilko will be already here to step up.

Posted by: gtfc82, April 12, 2017, 10:49am; Reply: 38
Quoted from RoboCod

Questions like "What's your plans for the club after todays Play Off Final Russ?" you mean?

FFS when are people going to get over that?!!!  :B
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, April 12, 2017, 10:51am; Reply: 39
We are now the laughing stock of the football league!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 12, 2017, 10:52am; Reply: 40
RUSS & WILCO'S BLACK & WHITE ARMY  (groupwave)(groupwave)
Posted by: RoboCod, April 12, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 41

Whenever I see him I can't help remembering Dave Booth looking at a 17 year old Paul in a junior or a reserve  game before he broke through into the first team and saying that Wilkie running was like a new born foal.

Still remember that debut Ron, had the perfect view from the Pontoon, Wilko had just come on, gangly and all legs and almost immediately got the ball edge of the box and slid it past the keeper straight towards where I was standing.
A treasured memory (sniff)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 12, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 42
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

What cos' weve sacked one manager and replaced him with a better one!
Posted by: chaos33, April 12, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 43
What rubbish
Posted by: Perkins, April 12, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 44

We will be later today when the club release another god awfully embarrassing video of Fenty introducing Slade to the players at Cheapside a la Bignot.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2017, 10:57am; Reply: 45

What cos' weve sacked one manager and replaced him with a better one!

Well, put it this way Lew, we've had our dose of fresh air through the club and now it's time to shut the door and keep the draughts out. ;)

Posted by: Maringer, April 12, 2017, 10:57am; Reply: 46
A very experienced manager who did quite well for us last time around. The appointment of Wilko will help to deflect some of the flak which would otherwise have been heading Slade's way and we get an experienced striking coach to boot. Could perhaps be helpful to Asante's development?

Not exactly over the moon but, on balance, I think I'm happier with him at the helm than Bignot who never showed me any reason to trust his judgment.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 12, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 47
Pretty sure the contract will be a rolling one, may be 6 months or 12 but rolling all the same
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 12, 2017, 10:59am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Maringer
A very experienced manager who did quite well for us last time around. The appointment of Wilko will help to deflect some of the flak which would otherwise have been heading Slade's way and we get an experienced striking coach to boot. Could perhaps be helpful to Asante's development?

Not exactly over the moon but, on balance, I think I'm happier with him at the helm than Bignot who never showed me any reason to trust his judgment.

Not just Asante but Rose and Jones as well.

Posted by: RonMariner, April 12, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 49
We have just appointed a guy who was L1 manager of the year twice, and finished 8th in the Championship a year ago. He is assisted by a true GTFC legend, a local lad who loves the club.

I think we will be more likely to challenge for promotion next season than if MB remained in charge.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2017, 11:02am; Reply: 50
Regarding the length of his contract

Fenty when appointing Marcus said 6 month rolling contracts are the future,

So I expect Slade to be on that which means every morning he wakes up he has 6 months left on his contract.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2017, 11:04am; Reply: 51
Forgot to say really pleased with the appointment and its great having Paul back at the club.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, April 12, 2017, 11:09am; Reply: 52
Slade divides opinion more than Thatcher and Marmite combined!

Poor backwards looking appointment.
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 12, 2017, 11:09am; Reply: 53
Whatever folk think about whether it was right to (a) sack Marcus Bignot, or (b) bring in the pairing we now have we do have to realiSe that football is, sadly, a results driven game and that whilst managers are just custodians of the club for a short while it's the fans that keep it going. It's therefore imperative that the fans of the clib as a whole get right behind the new team and get some momentum going again. Onwards and upwards. UTFM.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 11:10am; Reply: 54
Quoted from RonMariner
We have just appointed a guy who was L1 manager of the year twice, and finished 8th in the Championship a year ago. He is assisted by a true GTFC legend, a local lad who loves the club.

I think we will be more likely to challenge for promotion next season than if MB remained in charge.

League 1 manager of the year twice, yet didn't get his team promoted either time. Just for balance.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 12, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 55
5 games to end the season on a high after weeks of baffling chaotic team selections!
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 11:16am; Reply: 56
Quoted from jock dock tower
Whatever folk think about whether it was right to (a) sack Marcus Bignot, or (b) bring in the pairing we now have we do have to realiSe that football is, sadly, a results driven game and that whilst managers are just custodians of the club for a short while it's the fans that keep it going. It's therefore imperative that the fans of the clib as a whole get right behind the new team and get some momentum going again. Onwards and upwards. UTFM.

He comes with a clean slate, so although i'm not thrilled with the appointment, he will get my backing 100%. Spoke to those i attend games with and they all feel a bit Meh! about Slade but all feel the same about it being a new dawn and will judge accordingly.
Posted by: GTFC_85, April 12, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 57
It is what it is. On a positive note, with him at the helm last time we had some decent players and a bloody good squad that he worked with, Rob Jones, Whittle, Gary Jones, Reddy, Woodhouse, JP, Parkinson. It was the closest we ever got to league 1 in nearly 10 years. We beat Spurs and Wigan that year and had a decent go at Newcastle. There will be alot of miffed supporters that do not forgive the way he left, but he was a young manager in the FL for the first time, and like most young managers they want to challenge themselves. I just hope it was naivety at the time. He returns to us with a lot more experience and some of the best fans in the country
Posted by: RichMariner, April 12, 2017, 11:36am; Reply: 58
It's a solid appointment. Plenty of experience between Slade and Wilko.

I can understand why a section of our support isn't inspired or excited by it, but I think they'll bring stability. When you think of the difference in experience between Bignot and Slade, you'd say we're in safer hands next season.

Hopefully we'll get a bit more organisation and consistency in both our line-ups and tactics, so we can enjoy supporting a team again.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 12, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 59

He gets my backing 100%

Great to see Wilko back as well.
Posted by: lancspontooner, April 12, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 60
I feel sorry for Marcus. You could put a good case that he should have been given more time into autumn but some of those beatings we took pointed to far deeper issues than just trying out some of the fringe squad players. He will be waking up in a cold sweat thinking about his team selection and set-up for that Doncaster game. But he'll get over it and hopefully come back stronger. He needs to work on articulating his views clearly and concisely because if I had a boss who blathered like that it would affect my confidence and performance.

As for Slade, he wouldn't have been my first choice but I could certainly see him leading us in League 1 rather than the League 2 relegation battle I was expecting with Marcus next season. I would have preferred someone like Adkins who didn't bring that baggage from the past which is going to upset some people. Town fans have long memories and having been there in Cardiff that day I couldn't have imagined letting Slade back into the club.

We are where we are though and realistically I'm more positive about next season than I was. Wilko being back is a real plus and hopefully he can help develop the forward line. We have trawled non-league for our buys this season and Sam Jones and Jamey Osborne are excellent additions. Hopefully Russ and Paul will have the contacts to bring in some more league players for next season.

This is a big period for the club with a new ground potentially coming fairly soon. Slade is a safer bet to retain our league status and push on. That was probably in Fenty's thinking when he walked out of the BP shaking his head on April 1st along with the rest of us.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 12, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 61
Amazes me how people seem adamant we will be in a relegation scrap next season!

Slade lead Cardiff to 8th in the championship last season, they are currently 14th this season...
Posted by: Kris2, April 12, 2017, 12:06pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Slade lead Cardiff to 8th in the championship last season, they are currently 14th this season...

I think some people are just salty still for things that happened years ago because they value loyalty above everything else,  that's fine but people have been calling for us to bring in an experienced manager since Hurst up and left and were upset when Bignot was appointed because he didn't have league experience. Now we have a management team with plenty of league experience.

Yes old wounds in Grimsby never seem to close and it happened, maybe Hurst up and leaving opened up that fear again that people will be gone as soon as a better offer comes along but that's just football. For now we have a proven manager at the helm who has done well in league football. Maybe that will inspire more confidence than another full season under Bignot I don''t know. I think both the players and fans probably need to be given more confidence in the one in charge.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 12, 2017, 12:08pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Kris2

I think some people are just salty still for things that happened years ago because they value loyalty above everything else,  that's fine but people have been calling for us to bring in an experienced manager since Hurst up and left and were upset when Bignot was appointed because he didn't have league experience. Now we have a management team with plenty of league experience.

Yes old wounds in Grimsby never seem to close and it happened, maybe Hurst up and leaving opened up that fear again that people will be gone as soon as a better offer comes along but that's just football. For now we have a proven manager at the helm who has done well in league football. Maybe that will inspire more confidence than another full season under Bignot I don''t know. I think both the players and fans probably need to be given more confidence in the one in charge.

Loyalty in football went a very long time ago...
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 12:09pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

They are saying MB would have had us in a relegation scrap. I think that is rubbish myself but it seems to be the prevailing view and is possibly why those who didn't trust MB are delighted to have the bald one back, because he is a safe pair of hands.

On reflection, i think i need to get over my pissedoffery with the whole business and say welcome back Russel and Paul, you are now the main men and i wish you well. Wish i wasn't going away for the weekend now and missing the game. It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday.
Posted by: davmariner, April 12, 2017, 12:10pm; Reply: 65
Good, solid appointment. Welcome back Russ and Wilko. The past is the past and let's let bygones be bygones.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 12, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from ginnywings

They are saying MB would have had us in a relegation scrap. I think that is rubbish myself but it seems to be the prevailing view and is possibly why those who didn't trust MB are delighted to have the bald one back, because he is a safe pair of hands.

On reflection, i think i need to get over my pissedoffery with the whole business and say welcome back Russel and Paul, you are now the main men and i wish you well. Wish i wasn't going away for the weekend now and missing the game. It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday.

I wasn't a big fan of Bignot, but no one can say he would of had us in a relegation scrap.

But he clearly come in and upset the squad harmony that Hurst had worked hard on over the years
Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2017, 12:13pm; Reply: 67
Pleased with this. A manager whose players know what he wants from them. Losing 2 League 1 playoff finals with tiny clubs (one on pens) hardly warrants a failure tag.
Posted by: Bigdog, April 12, 2017, 12:13pm; Reply: 68
I'm not wowed by the appointment but it could be a lot worse.

Fresh start and I'm open minded and prepared to back the new duo.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 12:14pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I wasn't a big fan of Bignot, but no one can say he would of had us in a relegation scrap.

But he clearly come in and upset the squad harmony that Hurst had worked hard on over the years

Plenty have said just that, so are happy he is gone. That was the point i was making as i don't think anyone believes Slade would have us in that position.
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2017, 12:14pm; Reply: 70
Come December I bet Fenty wont be singing " Merry Xmas Everybody"-more like Chicago's " Where do we go from here" or "Everybody told me so"--but it could be "The only way is down. You're out of luck-you're out of tme,get out of here"
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 12, 2017, 12:18pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from lancspontooner
I feel sorry for Marcus. You could put a good case that he should have been given more time into autumn but some of those beatings we took pointed to far deeper issues than just trying out some of the fringe squad players. He will be waking up in a cold sweat thinking about his team selection and set-up for that Doncaster game. But he'll get over it and hopefully come back stronger. He needs to work on articulating his views clearly and concisely because if I had a boss who blathered like that it would affect my confidence and performance.

As for Slade, he wouldn't have been my first choice but I could certainly see him leading us in League 1 rather than the League 2 relegation battle I was expecting with Marcus next season. I would have preferred someone like Adkins who didn't bring that baggage from the past which is going to upset some people. Town fans have long memories and having been there in Cardiff that day I couldn't have imagined letting Slade back into the club.

We are where we are though and realistically I'm more positive about next season than I was. Wilko being back is a real plus and hopefully he can help develop the forward line. We have trawled non-league for our buys this season and Sam Jones and Jamey Osborne are excellent additions. Hopefully Russ and Paul will have the contacts to bring in some more league players for next season.

This is a big period for the club with a new ground potentially coming fairly soon. Slade is a safer bet to retain our league status and push on. That was probably in Fenty's thinking when he walked out of the BP shaking his head on April 1st along with the rest of us.

I agree with the majority of what you say but even Adkins would have had some opposition from some quarters because of the Scunthorpe connection. You cannot please everyone thats for sure, but I think on balance Slade and Wilkinson give us hope for next season.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 12, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 72
Slade can do one as far as I'm concerned
Posted by: big al, April 12, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 73
No one seems to be reflecting on the type of football that might be played now. Football is results driven but not, for me, at any cost. At our best Town have always been a true footballing side - if that matters, will Slade deliver?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 12, 2017, 12:28pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from big al
No one seems to be reflecting on the type of football that might be played now. Football is results driven but not, for me, at any cost. At our best Town have always been a true footballing side - if that matters, will Slade deliver?

He will if he thinks we have the players to play that way, yes.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 12, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 75
Here's hoping that Slade's half-time team talk at Sincil Bank next season will be a bit more private.  ;)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 12, 2017, 12:52pm; Reply: 76
Humberside have an interview with Fenty were he talks about slade. He also talks about  Bignot's departure and how he'd been worried since January. Top new Fentyisms as well "barking up a gumtree" and "tintalates the buds" he popped a few old favourites in as well 😂
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 77
Humberside have an interview with Fenty were he talks about slade. He also talks about  Bignot's departure and how he'd been worried since January. Top new Fentyisms as well "barking up a gumtree" and "tintalates the buds" he popped a few old favourites in as well 😂

Yeah, just listened and have some new balls for Fenty bingo. Two new classics.
Posted by: TAGG, April 12, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 78
Now I've stopped being sick I will have my 10 pence worth.

I have not said anything about Fenty all season but the amnesty is over.
This is another excrement appointment by Fenty who has made no end of excrement decisions in the name of our club..
FFS man why didn't you take your time and get some advice from people who actually know about football.
This is a backward step for our club.
How the intercourse Slade gets job after job I'm copulated if I know.
Funnily enough I'm doing job interviews tomorrow and if someone who comes for a job tells me they have been sacked 9 times (for being incompetent at his job) in the last 10 years including twice in the last 8 months I would think the bloke has a flipping cheek to even apply.

Fenty your an idiot and Slade your excrement.

Apart from that I will be there Friday and renewing my ST to support the team no the MSH or the fat twit in the hat.
UTM
Posted by: Garth, April 12, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 79

First time I saw him in the first team I said to my lad "He will never make a footballer as long as he`s got a hole in his rrs"   what do I know  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2017, 1:19pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Garth

First time I saw him in the fist team I said to my lad "He will never make a footballer as long as he`s got a hole in his rrs"   what do I know  ;D

What about Gunning? Will he ever make a footballer?  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2017, 1:27pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from big al

Well there are more than enough posts on the Fishy in the past two days about his previous Town team and his teams at Yeovil. Orient etc. to tell you that Slade likes his sides to play football.

Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 82
Well said Tagg-you say what you believe instead of falling in with the "IN" crowd to get brownie points
Posted by: Garth, April 12, 2017, 1:34pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from golfer
Come December I bet Fenty wont be singing " Merry Xmas Everybody"-more like Chicago's " Where do we go from here" or "Everybody told me so"--but it could be "The only way is down. You're out of luck-you're out of tme,get out of here"

Thank God JF has got more sense than you ;)

Great acquisition by the board, onwards and upwards(groupwave)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Garth

First time I saw him in the first team I said to my lad "He will never make a footballer as long as he`s got a hole in his rrs"   what do I know  ;D

Paul and John McDermott are outstanding examples of how hard work can pay off. I saw Paul play as a lad and he was good because he was deceptively quick and also tall for his age but he didn't have much in the way of bulk or control of his limbs. I didn't think he would make it very far either to be honest. But, Paul was lucky to come through when we had an excellent youth set up  and managers in George Kerr and Dave Booth who were willing to take a chance with him and Lund even in what is now the Championship, and to learn from people like Drinkell, Wymark and Nichol.

Posted by: lancspontooner, April 12, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 85

Maybe Fenty felt threatened by Bignot strangulating the English language better than he does. The meeting between them to sack him must have needed a translator.

It was also interesting to hear in Slade's interview with Humberside that he was up a mountain when Fenty called about the job. Matt Dean asked when that was and Slade indicated it was the Tuesday after Marcus had been sacked. Well in my book I'd usually call that yesterday. I'm not bothered personally but if you're going to fib then think about the questions you will probably get beforehand.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 86

Because it's longer than a six month rolling contract i.e jobs for the boys.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:39pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Bignic69
Solid appointment imo. feel a lot safer with these 2 in charge than I did with Bignot at the helm.

Wilko was kicked out of the Norwich City set up because he's stuck in the 80s regarding coaching techniques.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:42pm; Reply: 88
Slade divides opinion more than Thatcher and Marmite combined!

Poor backwards looking appointment.

Agreed.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

He's better at getting injured than he is at playing football.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from big al

Well said Big Al, I don't think he will and believe that was his downfall the last time he was here. All the better footballing sides that season swept us aside with ease.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from TAGG

This is another excrement appointment by Fenty who has made no end of excrement decisions in the name of our club..
FFS man why didn't you take your time and get some advice from people who actually know about football.
Funnily enough I'm doing job interviews tomorrow and if someone who comes for a job tells me they have been sacked 9 times (for being incompetent at his job) in the last 10 years including twice in the last 8 months I would think the bloke has a flipping cheek to even apply.

Apart from that I will be there Friday and renewing my ST to support the team no the MSH or the fat twit in the hat.
UTM

Well said Tagg.
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2017, 1:53pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Garth

I agree with your favorite player-Gunning said you don't know what you're talking about :)
Posted by: LH, April 12, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Because it's longer than a six month rolling contract i.e jobs for the boys.

Alternatively he's got a longer contract because Fenty is more sure of Slade being a more competent manager than Hurst or Bignot because of his longer CV.
Posted by: Garth, April 12, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from ginnywings

TBF theres no reason why he would not get a game in the sixth tier of English League next season.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 12, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from TAGG

UTM

What will you say if the applicant tells you he has on more than one occasion left previous companies (much bigger than yours) in a far better state !!!
Posted by: FishGY, April 12, 2017, 1:56pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here's hoping that Slade's half-time team talk at Sincil Bank next season will be a bit more private.  ;)

Mathematically we can't go down now so we won't be playing at Sincil Bank next season? ::)
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2017, 2:02pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Garth

And I thought the smell at Blundell Park came from the fish docks
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2017, 2:04pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from TAGG

UTM

That's fair enough Tagg but neither you nor I are "chairman" of a football club. I've interviewed people a-plenty in my job but the priorities, qualifications and personality issues were completely different to those in football. It's very much a personal opinion business. I'm sure opinion is canvassed better now than it was for Newell but appointments are very much on a personal level. In any case, the field is very limited.

You cannot say someone is useless because they get the push from Coventry or Charlton because they are both asylums for deficient directors at the moment. If Paddy Hamilton had taken the "been sacked" approach we would never have had Laurie McMenemy, Watford would never have taken Graham Taylor back, Town would never have had Buckley Mk2.

If you are making the "once bitten" argument about the Cardiff final, surely nobody can seriously believe that was a one-sided pen!s up. But times change anyway, and so do people.

Personally I am waiting to be convinced by the new pairing. I was over-enthusiastic with MB because he seemed such a positive change from what we were used to. As with MB, S&W need the benefit of the doubt for a bit. MB was a fool and threw away a real chance to make a good name for himself in the game. It looked like pride before a fall to me. He needed a proper number two to take the weight but he wanted to be the new Cloughie. With a bit of humility and calming himself down he would have gained himself the time he needed. As a result it is these two who have the pre-season to get acquainted with the players.
Posted by: Grumps, April 12, 2017, 2:04pm; Reply: 99
I was upset that MB had been sacked but not knowing the reasons why you have to accept that it has been done with the best interests of the club at heart. I welcome Russ and Wilko and will support them and am sure we will be up there fighting for an automatic promotion spot next season. As always supporting GTFC is never easy but we have the best fans in the country and I am sure we will see a good gate at BP on Friday to see what kind of team is put out. Onwards and upwards.
UTM
Posted by: Bignic69, April 12, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 100

Well said Big Al, I don't think he will and believe that was his downfall the last time he was here. All the better footballing sides that season swept us aside with ease.

We did play hoofball under slade but I recall his Yeovil and Orient teams not being bad footballing sides and scoring a fair few goals.
Posted by: gtfc82, April 12, 2017, 2:07pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from TAGG

UTM

Utter drivel!
Took over here after we'd been relegated twice in a row and built up a promotion challenging side. Did we get anywhere near that after he left?
Took a unfancied Yeovil and Leyton Orient sides to the play off final in League One. Look where they are now, especially Leyton Orient. Haven't they thrived since he left them?!!!!
Took over at Brighton when they were staring relegation in the face, and kept them up.
Maybe this is why he gets jobs.
How can he have been sacked 9 times if we're his 9th managerial appointment?
Also, how do you feel about Paul Wilkinson being back as Slade's assistant?
It's highly unlikely that a club like Town will get a manager who has never been sacked!
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from LH

Alternatively he's got a longer contract because Fenty is more sure of Slade being a more competent manager than Hurst or Bignot because of his longer CV.

His longer, promotionless and trophyless CV. Both Bignot and Hurst can boast promotions
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 2:09pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from gtfc82

Utter drivel!
Took over here after we'd been relegated twice in a row and built up a promotion challenging side. Did we get anywhere near that after he left?
Took a unfancied Yeovil and Leyton Orient sides to the play off final in League One. Look where they are now, especially Leyton Orient. Haven't they thrived since he left them?!!!!
Took over at Brighton when they were staring relegation in the face, and kept them up.
Maybe this is why he gets jobs.
How can he have been sacked 9 times if we're his 9th managerial appointment?
Also, how do you feel about Paul Wilkinson being back as Slade's assistant?

Uninspiring - he was ousted from Norwich for being archaic.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 12, 2017, 2:09pm; Reply: 104

His longer, promotionless and trophyless CV. Both Bignot and Hurst can boast promotions

In the non league of course!
Posted by: RoboCod, April 12, 2017, 2:09pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from FishGY

Mathematically we can't go down now so we won't be playing at Sincil Bank next season? ::)

Problem is, there's a bunch of players set on nothing else but Lincolns promotion, who will fight to the end, go through the pain barrier and give everything to ensure Lincoln go up.

They play for Forest Green and Tranmere :-/

Posted by: Tommy, April 12, 2017, 2:12pm; Reply: 106

How do you know this Paris?
Posted by: gtfc82, April 12, 2017, 2:14pm; Reply: 107

According to who?
Posted by: mariner91, April 12, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 108

Bignot got promoted from a semi-professional league at the fifth time of asking. Yes it's an achievement but let's not pretend it's on a par with getting clubs the size of Yeovil or Orient in to the league one play offs. The gulf in quality between the NL and the NL north is huge and the gap from the NL to the FL is equally as big. And so it proved for MB.
Posted by: Perkins, April 12, 2017, 2:58pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from TAGG

Crap, im not particularly a Slade fan myself but he's here, get over it. I don't think Slade has been sacked 9 times for being incompetent, on some occasions he has left of his own free will,. Its obvious you are a manager or an employer with pre-conceived ideas so i'm bloody pleased your not interviewing me tomorrow, (Too old anyway). Someones incompetence is nearly always due to poor management skills and/or lack of support from their Employer. Good luck to everyone being interviewed by Tagg tomorrow. You are  going to need it.

Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2017, 3:06pm; Reply: 110

The only side I can remember sweeping us aside with ease that season were Big Keith's Lincoln.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 12, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from mariner91

Bignot got promoted from a semi-professional league at the fifth time of asking. Yes it's an achievement but let's not pretend it's on a par with getting clubs the size of Yeovil or Orient in to the league one play offs. The gulf in quality between the NL and the NL north is huge and the gap from the NL to the FL is equally as big. And so it proved for MB.

I agree that MB's selections were puzzling and entertainment under his period in charge has been limited. He has now gone & II have no problem with Slades return, however, reading MB's latest comments supports some of what I said on Monday and points to poor communication between himself and JF a point strengthened by JF stating he started to worry in January!!!

Why then agree to bring in around 9 new players, why not advise him to cut the crap at press interviews and why not put him in a room with Buckley to discuss tactics. At the end of the day he was a young, inexperienced Manager who had lots of very good ideas and plans which with support and time may have been for the long term benefit of the club. Look how Leeds treated Clough & what happened next!!!

JF appointed him but appears to have failed to grasp that he would be making mistakes and would need a little support and he appears to have given MB too much rope too soon and of course his team selection v Donny meant he hanged himself.

Anyway rambling on but now we have a new management team please ensure that there are proper communications as just giving the Manager what he wants is not always the correct approach.

Good luck RS & Wilco I hope you are a success and we can enjoy some home games with a midfield that dominates matches rather than watches the other team dominate us.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 12, 2017, 3:13pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Abdul19

The only side I can remember sweeping us aside with ease that season were Big Keith's Lincoln.

that season's losses were all by 1 goal, bar the lincoln thrashing and two 1-3 defeats away at wycome and home to stockport
Posted by: TAGG, April 12, 2017, 3:22pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Civvy at last

What will you say if the applicant tells you he has on more than one occasion left previous companies (much bigger than yours) in a far better state !!!

So what club that he get sacked from did he leave in a higher division than he found them???

People don't get the sack for being a success.

If a bloke went to Fentys fish factory for say a production managers job with that employment record he would be laughed out of his office.

Is there any Manager with a worse employment record than Slade working today?????
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 12, 2017, 3:24pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from forza ivano

that season's losses were all by 1 goal, bar the lincoln thrashing and two 1-3 defeats away at wycome and home to stockport

Think the Stockport game was one of those where they had not won a game for ages and we all arrived expecting another 3 points and think that young full back from Man City gave us the lead. Also seem to recall they scored a bizarre goal that night but cannot remember if that it was via a terrible refs decision, player error or great skill, bloody annoying losing your memory!!
Posted by: AndyGTFC, April 12, 2017, 3:44pm; Reply: 115
He's a good solid manager who was managing in the Championship last season. God knows how some people think we could do better. Seems to me that some people are just making up more excuses when the main reason they're not happy is because of how he left last time, but they really need to get over it. There's two sides to every story.

Welcome back to them both.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think the Stockport game was one of those where they had not won a game for ages and we all arrived expecting another 3 points and think that young full back from Man City gave us the lead. Also seem to recall they scored a bizarre goal that night but cannot remember if that it was via a terrible refs decision, player error or great skill, bloody annoying losing your memory!!

It was Whittle slicing a harmless cross over Mildenhall into the far corner!

Lump scored for us though, you're thinking of Rochdale (also on a Friday night) a couple of years later when Shaleum Logan scored :)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 12, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Abdul19

It was Whittle slicing a harmless cross over Mildenhall into the far corner!

Lump scored for us though, you're thinking of Rochdale (also on a Friday night) a couple of years later when Shaleum Logan scored :)

Thanks for that and I now remember the Whittle slice!!!!!

Worried that the Logan goal was some two years later, hope I went  home between fixtures.!
Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2017, 4:54pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Thanks for that and I now remember the Whittle slice!!!!!

Worried that the Logan goal was some two years later, hope I went  home between fixtures.!

;D
Posted by: mariner91, April 12, 2017, 5:07pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from TAGG

So what club that he get sacked from did he leave in a higher division than he found them???

People don't get the sack for being a success.

If a bloke went to Fentys fish factory for say a production managers job with that employment record he would be laughed out of his office.

Is there any Manager with a worse employment record than Slade working today?????

He didn't get sacked 9 nine times as you've been claiming.

Scarborough - Left them for us.
Grimsby Town - Left us for Yeovil.
Yeovil - Resigned citing lack of ambition from the chairman.
Brighton - Joined them in March with them stuck in the relegation zone of league one. Kept them up against all odds but sacked at start of next season. First sacking.
Leyton Orient - Resigned for Cardiff job.
Cardiff - Technically resigned. Position changed from manager to director of football then he resigned a few days later.
Charlton - Sacked
Coventry - Sacked

So actually from 8 management jobs in the last 15 years he's been sacked from three, left three for jobs higher up the football pyramid and resigned from two. But don't let the facts get in the way of your rants.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 120
We didn't beat any of the sides who finished in the top 3 that season Abdul
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 12, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 121
If he finds another Michael Reddy for the wing he will do.
Posted by: mariner91, April 12, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 122
We didn't beat any of the sides who finished in the top 3 that season Abdul

"Swept us aside with ease that season".

Carlise: Lost at home 2-1, lost away 1-0.
Northampton: Drew at home 1-1, drew away 0-0. We all remember the home game where they equalised in injury time.
Leyton Orient: Lost at home 1-0, drew away 0-0 and should have won but Goodfellow missed a sitter in the last minute hitting the bar.

Hardly sweeping us aside with ease. Three narrow losses, a draw and two other draws we should have won.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, April 12, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 123
We didn't though
Posted by: mariner91, April 12, 2017, 6:09pm; Reply: 124
The point is that you're completely wrong to claim they swept us aside with ease. More re-writing of history from someone who is anti-Slade.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 125
Exactly. And Calderwood's Northampton certainly weren't a footballing side.

Thanks for bringing that Carlisle game up though. I was in a good mood but now all I can think about is Tom Newey smashing that penalty against the bar ;)
Posted by: Rick12, April 13, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 126
Just read Slades comments in the Grimsby telegraph today and thought he was spot on in what he said.Amongst other things values mentality as much as ability

Still gutted for Marcus though
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 13, 2017, 1:41pm; Reply: 127

Imagine our new awful manager being able to turn around a 2-0 home first leg defeat to the mighty Nottingham Forest...
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 13, 2017, 2:53pm; Reply: 128

Telegraph -

First look at Russell Slade ( pictured ) taking training....        

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/grimsby-town-boss-russell-slade-pictured-taking-training-with-new-squad/story-30269189-detail/story.html
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, April 13, 2017, 3:31pm; Reply: 129

Andy Warrington shows James McKeown where he should be standing for free kicks
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, April 13, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from big al

I also look forward to seing us playing attractive football but the inability to pass the ball accurately and players not runninng off the ball to receive it and then when they do the ball bounces all over the shop because they havn't learned how to trap and control the ball, is there for all to see. He is largely stuck with these players so id be interested to know what the fans solution is if they are expecting us to play like Barcelona now?

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 13, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

I also look forward to seing us playing attractive football but the inability to pass the ball accurately and players not runninng off the ball to receive it and then when they do the ball bounces all over the shop because they havn't learned how to trap and control the ball, is there for all to see. He is largely stuck with these players so id be interested to know what the fans solution is if they are expecting us to play like Barcelona now?

This
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 13, 2017, 7:42pm; Reply: 132
Also unless we find a striker able to score 20 plus goals a season or a pairing able to get us 30 plus between them I dont think it matters what style of football we play
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 13, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 133
Sam Jones could well be a 20 goal a season man. I guess we shall see.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, April 13, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 134
Agree with Madeley Mariner about a goalscorer.
I am not sure about RS. His departure 11 years ago still rankles. In the interest of unity, however, I hope he is successful this time and will judge him by results.
Posted by: rancido, April 14, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 135
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Sam Jones could well be a 20 goal a season man. I guess we shall see.

An example of one of Bignots " square pegs in round holes " !! He came as a midfielder and seems to have blossomed into a striker.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:22am