Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RichMariner, February 25, 2017, 3:01pm
After nearly losing all my photos, videos and documents when my hard drive failed, I need to back them up to the cloud.

Dropbox seems to be the most popular place to do this, but I was wondering if there's anywhere (or anything) else you'd recommend?

Ideally I'm looking for something where the photos, videos and docs are synced, so when I edit docs, or update folders with new pics etc, I don't have to do it twice.

Any thoughts, ideas and recommendations would be very helpful!
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 1
If you have an android phone, easy to go with Google Drive which costs about the same as paid Dropbox. Obviously, you'll be paying out each month, however.

The alternative is to buy a cheap NAS device (Network Area Storage) to keep at home and sync your PC and phone with that automatically. Synology and Qnap are the two biggest firms and Western Digital also do consumer oriented devices which come complete with disc(s).
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2017, 7:30pm; Reply: 2
Should also note that you can set up NAS to be accessed via the net so you can theoretically stream music/videos over the net from home if your Internet connection is up to the job.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 25, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 3
If you use Office then you might as well use One Drive as it integrates with the rest of Office very well and you change your Pictures and Videos folders to point to the OneDrive folder by default. I think you get 10GB free with OneDrive, a lot more than you do with DropBox. You also can get a lot more if you have an Office 365 subscription. I'm sure there are some other ways of getting more free space as well.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 27, 2017, 11:12pm; Reply: 4
I've used both Google Drive and One Drive and I much prefer One Drive (with Office365).
Posted by: RichMariner, March 1, 2017, 10:49pm; Reply: 5
Cheers for all the advice. Looking into a NAS drive at the moment (as with many things, it'll come down to budget!).
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:14pm