Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 11, 2017, 2:38pm
Stuart Watkiss is back employed by Grimsby Town as part of our coaching staff.
Quoted from Grimsby Town F.C. | Posted: 11th January 2017, 2:30pm
WE would like to welcome back former assistant manager and youth team coach Stuart Watkiss.

Watkiss, who had recently helped out Dave Moore with the coaching while he was in temporary charge of first team affairs, returns to the club as a Under 18 Professional Development Coach and he will assist youth academy and academy manager Neil Woods. He will also assist with the club's Under 21 players.
Read more at [url=http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/stuart-watkiss-returns-to-the-club-3513851.aspx]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/stuart-watkiss-returns-to-the-club-3513851.aspx[/url]
Posted by: Kris2, January 11, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 1
A good appointment, he's a decent coach and seems to do well with young players.
Posted by: Tommy, January 11, 2017, 2:46pm; Reply: 2
Have to say it seems very positive the off-the-pitch structure we seem to be putting together.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, January 11, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 3
Bloody hell he loves the club !!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 11, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 4
what's the record for number of former managers currently employed in other roles at a club?

Graham Rodger
Dave Moore
Stuart Watkiss
Neil Woods
(Alan Buckley if he's still involved with the yoof but don't know)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2017, 2:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tommy
Have to say it seems very positive the off-the-pitch structure we seem to be putting together.

It's good to see and i imagine that the club has learnt it's lesson, that if you don't plan ahead, you end up in the sh1te.

I thought it was strange when MB mentioned Watkiss yesterday and thought he must be doing some voluntary work or something. Nice to see he has been taken on full time as well.
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2017, 2:54pm; Reply: 6
Great respect for Stuart good youth coach, looks like we are now going in the right direction
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 11, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 7

From personal experience he's a nice bloke as well.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 11, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
what's the record for number of former managers currently employed in other roles at a club?

Graham Rodger
Dave Moore
Stuart Watkiss
Neil Woods
(Alan Buckley if he's still involved with the yoof but don't know)

Just need Mike Newell back now to..erm...run the bar? :-/
Posted by: psgmariner, January 11, 2017, 3:03pm; Reply: 9
If Bignot leaves we have an impressive array of caretaker managers available.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from psgmariner
If Bignot leaves we have an impressive array of caretaker managers available.

;D

We sure do.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 11, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from RoboCod

Just need Mike Newell back now to..erm...run the bar? :-/

or get Rob Scott in for pest control
Posted by: Cloudy, January 11, 2017, 3:08pm; Reply: 12
IS Graham Rodger  actually employed by the club?

In what role?

I thought he worked for the community Trust or some similar named other body?
Posted by: Hagrid, January 11, 2017, 3:09pm; Reply: 13
welcome back stu, good coach, postive for the club
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 11, 2017, 3:12pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Cloudy
IS Graham Rodger  actually employed by the club?

In what role?

I thought he worked for the community Trust or some similar named other body?

Good point. It has a half decent website so must be quite independent of GTFC

http://www.gtset.co.uk/about-us/
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 11, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 15
Brian Laws to look after the catering.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 11, 2017, 3:29pm; Reply: 16
George Kerr public relations
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 11, 2017, 3:30pm; Reply: 17
And of course Lawie  mac in charge of archives
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2017, 4:03pm; Reply: 18
As long as Lenny Laurence is not going to be the treasurer I am o.k. with all of the above.......

On a serious note this is a really good appointment as it feels we are getting together a team of experienced qualified coaches from "child" to "adult" level and all being well they will collaborate to give our young players the progression and journey to do as well as they can.

If Marcus is behind this as well (which I am sure he is) we have a proper manager on our hands I reckon.
Posted by: Tommy, January 11, 2017, 4:09pm; Reply: 19
This will be a role that will help create a clearer pathway from the academy and Youth Team, to the First Team. Can only be a good thing.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 11, 2017, 4:18pm; Reply: 20
Does Dave Smith count?
Posted by: lukeo, January 11, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 21
is noone else excited at all these well known, local, experienced people coming in given these roles within the club? it's such a positive and can only help build this club from top to bottom and make It grow
Posted by: Hertsmariner, January 11, 2017, 4:20pm; Reply: 22
Yes, I'm sure this is part of Marcus's 'grand plan' to take the club up another notch, such that there is a progressive development of players as they move from one level to the next. What bothers me slightly is that game time for the young pro's still seems pretty limited. I know Marcus wants to get the likes of Venney and Wright out on loan (like Clifton at Grantham) to gain next level experience, but I guess the problem is finding a suitable club/clubs where the benefit might be mutual.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2017, 5:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Bloody hell he loves the club !!

Or perhaps he loves paid employment.

I worked for the same company for 30 years but I would never say I loved the company.
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 24
[quote=142]

Or perhaps he loves paid employment.

I worked for the same company for 30 years but I would never say I loved the company.[/quote]

Billy no mates Eh!
Posted by: Fat Cobra, January 11, 2017, 9:58pm; Reply: 25
Looks like 'he who shall not be named' was talking shite regarding no funds for backroom staff, have a good look 'he who shall not be named', this is what a proper backroom set up looks like. In Bignot we trust.

🐍
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 11, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Looks like 'he who shall not be named' was talking shite regarding no funds for back room staff, have a good look 'he who shall not be named', this is what a proper backroom set up looks like. In Bignot we trust.

🐍

To be fair, I'm fairly sure this salary will come from restricted funding towards the EPPP setup and doubt GTFC would get away with spending the money on a fitness coach for the first team.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, January 11, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 27

To be fair, I'm fairly sure this salary will come from restricted funding towards the EPPP setup and doubt GTFC would get away with spending the money on a fitness coach for the first team.

Or head of recruitment
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 11, 2017, 10:34pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Fat Cobra

Or head of recruitment

True. Maybe we actually got a fat load of cash for Hurst and Doig (amazing as it might seem to some) which is paying for a couple of extra first team staff.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 29

Even professional sports clubs youth coaches can secure funding for salaries, premiership rugby do it all the time.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 11, 2017, 11:04pm; Reply: 30

EPPP funding, now that's worth a thread of it's own.

Posted by: monkeyboy, January 12, 2017, 12:29pm; Reply: 31
But still no conditioning coach!  >:(

Be nice to actually see some Grimsby youth get games eventually
Posted by: Mariners_15, January 12, 2017, 5:59pm; Reply: 32
Nice to see him get offered a role, was good of him to step in voluntarily while we had Dave Moore as caretaker.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:48pm