Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinernige, January 9, 2017, 2:08pm
According to et town have rejected a 850k bid for omar from Rotherham .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2017, 2:10pm; Reply: 1
Good!
Posted by: Simariner, January 9, 2017, 2:13pm; Reply: 2
Before Xmas I would of probably taken £850k

I would be happy with anything over 1millon IMO
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 9, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 3
I wouldnt be happy if he goes this season tbh, we need him.
Come the end of the season if he has banged 30 goals away there is no reason 2 million wouldnt be achievable.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 9, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from marinernige

And how does ET know this?  ;)

[img]http://media.hollywood.com/images/l/Drew-Struzan-et.jpg[/img]
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2017, 2:16pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

He read it on The Fishy?  ;)
Posted by: mimma, January 9, 2017, 2:18pm; Reply: 6
Nothing on the telegraph web site.

Do you mean et as in extra terrestrial?
Posted by: GTFC_85, January 9, 2017, 2:19pm; Reply: 7
In my time I recall a handful of players we sold for big money.

Mendonca (£700K ish?)
Gary Croft (£1m+)
John Oster (£1m+)
Bennet (£1m)

Omar...(£1m+ TBC?)

I know it's difficult to compare, but let's assume prices for players in today's market, how much would we have been looking for any of the above?
Posted by: Superdan147, January 9, 2017, 2:19pm; Reply: 8
Great news. And finally a more realistic bid, reports of 250k from Barnet and 350k made my blood boil.

I'd like to think there has been meetings between board/management/player and all have agreed on a minimum price to be agreed and that we reject/stand firm until such a bid comes in.

Plenty of numbers bandished around but I really think anything under £1.5 should not be considered.

Just hope we can get our business done before the bidding wars commence as I fear that once clubs know we have some money in the bank, their playerss valuations will go up and we may have to pay over the odds.
Posted by: mimma, January 9, 2017, 2:21pm; Reply: 9
It is now reported on the telegraph web site.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 9, 2017, 2:25pm; Reply: 10
Think it looks more likely he will leave in Jan if we are edging towards the million pound mark. I genuinely can't see them turning down a million.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2017, 2:28pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from GTFC_85
In my time I recall a handful of players we sold for big money.

Mendonca (£700K ish?)
Gary Croft (£1m+)
John Oster (£1m+)
Bennet (£1m)

Omar...(£1m+ TBC?)

I know it's difficult to compare, but let's assume prices for players in today's market, how much would we have been looking for any of the above?

I am not sure you can place market values on players in the Jan window. I think that the valuation/price paid is whatever the purchaser stands o lose or gain by signing the player and it working out. If a team is fighting to go up or stay up then in these crazy days they are likely to pay more than a buyer who is mid table and building on a plan for the future.

Either way offers in excess of 1 million only I reckon and possibly 1.5. Who knows? When clubs with money get desperate then anything cn happen......................... As a fan my preference is that he stays until the end of this season.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 9, 2017, 2:29pm; Reply: 12
**** a million, it's 2016/2017. Kemar Roofe is the same age as Omar Bogle is now, scored 26 goals by the end of the season for Oxford United and went for £3 million. That's where we should be aiming at.

[url=http://www.oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/kemar-roofe-leaves-us-for-leeds-in-record-fee/]http://www.oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/kemar-roofe-leaves-us-for-leeds-in-record-fee/[/url]
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 9, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 13
What sell on do Solihull have?
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 9, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

his mums best mate works for the club.  So she found out and then told E.T. when he

phoned home

TAXI  :B :B :B
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, January 9, 2017, 2:39pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
**** a million, it's 2016. Kemar Roofe was the same age as Omar Bogle is now, scored 26 goals by the end of the season for Oxford United and went for £3 million. That's where we should be aiming at.

Seems a reasonable yardstick. I would even wait till end of season to get the money he is worth. We wont get as good a replacement for free to get us into the playoffs

Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 9, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 16
[url][/url]http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/09/por-rotherhams-bogle-bid-rejected/page/1/

original story here. they say he came to us on a free transfer so I wouldnt know how much to trust their story
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 9, 2017, 2:43pm; Reply: 17
Fenty shouldn't even bother to start negotiating until someone tables at least double that. There's no rush to sell him in this window and we hold all the cards.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 9, 2017, 2:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Seems a reasonable yardstick. I would even wait till end of season to get the money he is worth. We wont get as good a replacement for free to get us into the playoffs

If we sold Omar for the right fee, why would we be restricted to a free transfer replacement?

To put things into perspective value wise, I've seen Coventry are holding out for £2m for a defender. Being a free scoring striker, £850k is not even half of what Omar is worth in today's market..
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 9, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from BeijingMariner
[url][/url]http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/09/por-rotherhams-bogle-bid-rejected/page/1/

original story here. they say he came to us on a free transfer so I wouldnt know how much to trust their story

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/09/por-rotherhams-bogle-bid-rejected/

Posted by: monkeyboy, January 9, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 20
I wonder how much Clive would be worth in todays money, 700K would have been a steal.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 9, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from promotion plaice

thanks for that, have no clue what I am doing wrong!
Posted by: mariner91, January 9, 2017, 2:53pm; Reply: 22
According to the BBC stats Omar has been directly involved (scored or assisted) more goals than anyone else in the FL except for Josh Morris. He's still young and has fantastic physical attributes that could allow him to improve further. £850K is quite frankly a derisory amount.

He's scored nearly as many league goals as their entire team and they think they could pay less than £1 million?!
Posted by: mimma, January 9, 2017, 2:54pm; Reply: 23
My personal view is that we know what he is worth, and we won't be tempted by the first offer we get.

Don't think Rotherham will be his destination either. There are bigger richer clubs than them sniffing around and we and Omar know it. Christ we could be in the same league as Rotherham next year!

Seems to me that little clubs like Rotherham are putting in big bids just to appease their fans and make it look as though they have big ambitions. The real bidding war will start when big clubs enter the fray.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 9, 2017, 2:58pm; Reply: 24
2 million is fair considering what money is offered for league strikers now.

I mean west ham offered 15 million for a brentford striker for god sake , town should stick to there guns and make sure if he goes its for decent money.
Posted by: Maringer, January 9, 2017, 2:59pm; Reply: 25
I'd have thought we'll get a couple of million if we (and Bogle) are willing to wait until the end of the season.

To score 18 goals by the half-way mark in what is currently a relatively limited mid-table team is flipping impressive whichever way you look at it. Just think how many more he could bag if we can keep up our recent improved form?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 26
I've used Kemar Roofe as a yardstick for long enough - anything less than £2.5 million is giving him away in the current market.
Posted by: buckstown, January 9, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 27
I still look at Omar as developing but when you look at his stats the potential is significant.
37 in 70 for us, better than a goal every other game in total, consistently scoring despite three steps up the pyramid in three years.
I saw a John Still interview recently and he said that if a striker has an eye for goal he can do it at most levels, whereas defenders often struggle as they climb the pyramid.
Teams like Derby, Forest will know that well and will have money to burn. My personal view is that Brentford will get 15 million for Hogan and be relaxed about splashing 2 for Omar
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 9, 2017, 4:02pm; Reply: 28
It's gonna be a long January...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 9, 2017, 4:03pm; Reply: 29
West Ham are to make a third bid for Brentford striker Scott Hogan, valued at £15M by Brenford.

They got him from Rochdale for £750K in 2014.  

This shows the importance of getting a good sell-on clause for Omar.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 9, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Elliot told him  ;)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, January 9, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 31
Bidding war I can see very soon
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 9, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 32
Time will tell.
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2017, 4:43pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from marinernige

Tony Stewart's going to have to sell a few more floodlights to buy Bogle. He's the guy who invented the infra red movement detection lamps, so every time next doors cat brings on half the streets lights think of the cheeky so-and-so who only offered £850k for our star man.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 9, 2017, 5:22pm; Reply: 34
Sky Sports mentioned he is also being watched by Brentford, who have identified him as a potential replacement for in-form attacker Scott Hogan should he leave this month.

Scott Hogan just been sold to West Ham for £15 million.

[url=http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10723431/grimsby-reject-approach-for-omar-bogle-from-rotherham-according-to-sky-sources]http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10723431/grimsby-reject-approach-for-omar-bogle-from-rotherham-according-to-sky-sources[/url]

[tweet]818490648118575105[/tweet]
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2017, 5:27pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Sky Sports mentioned he is also being watched by Brentford, who have identified him as a potential replacement for in-form attacker Scott Hogan should he leave this month.

Scott Hogan just been sold to West Ham for £15 million.

[url=http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10723431/grimsby-reject-approach-for-omar-bogle-from-rotherham-according-to-sky-sources]http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10723431/grimsby-reject-approach-for-omar-bogle-from-rotherham-according-to-sky-sources[/url]

The £15000000 will do for starters for Bogle  :)
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, January 9, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 36
They've just copied it from Sky
Posted by: mariner2000, January 9, 2017, 6:36pm; Reply: 37
I think it's definitely about the package.  

I think we have to sell before the end of the season to ensure we get the best deal with his contract running out.

1.5 would sound good if the sell ons are as good as the Bennett sell ons appear to be.  Having said that and having seen the silly money mentioned above you would ask why we aren't getting 3 million for him if we didn't!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2017, 6:39pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from mariner2000
I think it's definitely about the package.  

I think we have to sell before the end of the season to ensure we get the best deal with his contract running out.

1.5 would sound good if the sell ons are as good as the Bennett sell ons appear to be.  Having said that and having seen the silly money mentioned above you would ask why we aren't getting 3 million for him if we didn't!

He still has anther year left on his current deal if memory serves me right.
Posted by: chaos33, January 9, 2017, 6:42pm; Reply: 39
Yep. Contracted for next season. Brentford have got cash on the hip - give us 4million for Bogle and we'll see what we can do  :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33
Yep. Contracted for next season. Brentford have got cash on the hip - give us 4million for Bogle and we'll see what we can do  :)

Actually they may not be a "massive club" but are not going up or down by the looks of it and that would give him time to adjust and develop, though like most I would rather he stayed till the end of this season. All they need to do is cough up a massive mountain of cash now with sell on's that last for ever.
Posted by: nightrider, January 9, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 41
2million? Double that. 4m is the going rate and Id be surprised if we don't get close to that
I can see it being around 3m with afew extras. Naff all to a Championship club
We signed Ashcroft for half a million 20 years ago and he was shite!

You only have to look at the Torres deal - andy carroll went for well over the odds
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 9, 2017, 7:11pm; Reply: 42
Bogle going would obviously be a sad moment. However, the funds would hopefully go towards a wider spread of players capable of scoring, which bignot supposed targets indicate. Therefore, in the long run the money could help fund a solid all around team.
Posted by: EY Mariner, January 9, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 43
Personally, I wouldn't contemplate any offer of less than £2 million for Bogle and, with the reported level of interest in him, the price is only likely to go up the longer this month goes on. Rotherham's offer is a pittance.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 9, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from EY Mariner
Personally, I wouldn't contemplate any offer of less than £2 million for Bogle and, with the reported level of interest in him, the price is only likely to go up the longer this month goes on. Rotherham's offer is a pittance.

Why would he want to go to a team that we'll be playing in the league next season anyway?  ;)
Posted by: TAGG, January 9, 2017, 9:12pm; Reply: 45
Would Hurst get a cut for bringing him here?????
Posted by: H19P1, January 9, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 46
All this media coverage can only be good and drive up the bidding war that's about to commence. JF going to be very busy with this leaving MB to find the incoming's.

UTM
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 9, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 47
Ashcroft was pretty decent but a measure of his unpredictability was that Buckley refers to him as " The Loon"
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 9, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 48
I'd be amazed if he doesn't break our record transfer fee this window.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 49
Although my heart wants him to stay, his departure is almost inevitable as the club can't afford not to cash in by waiting till there's only 12 months left on his contract. As I've stated previously, I'm sure there's a figure that will tip the board into selling - I just hope it's in excess of £2million.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2017, 9:41pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Ashcroft was pretty decent but a measure of his unpredictability was that Buckley refers to him as " The Loon"

Too much time in the bookies that one if memory serves me right, "allegedly"! No doubt had some real talent though.
Posted by: Maringer, January 9, 2017, 9:46pm; Reply: 51
Didn't he get into trouble after entering management? Seem to recall that he received a lengthy ban after headbutting a referee!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 9, 2017, 10:01pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't he get into trouble after entering management? Seem to recall that he received a lengthy ban after headbutting a referee!

As well as his disgraceful sexism ,and don't forget the night at orient where he lept into the away end to have a scrap with a lad who'd been giving him abuse .btw the lad weren't far wrong either.ashcroft was a lazy useless waste of money
Posted by: nightrider, January 9, 2017, 10:04pm; Reply: 53
Not much of a professional, he wasn't interested was he. Always looked overweight which said it all. Couldn't head the ball, rarely won the ball and if it wasn't for scoring so many penalties, his scoring record would have been abysmal wouldn't it? Reminded me of a crap Robbie Fowler, which is the only compliment I can give him. Had the ability which made it even worse. To top it off, he cost almost the same as Mendonca.
Hence why we got rid
Posted by: moosey_club, January 9, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from nightrider
. To top it off, he cost almost the same as Mendonca.
Hence why we got rid

still our record signing at £500k IIRC.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 9, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 55
How did we manage to get £350k for him though!?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, January 9, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 56
Rotherham have only offered 350k and he will go for under 1 mill.  Probably about 750k in the end. That's realism
Posted by: nightrider, January 9, 2017, 10:43pm; Reply: 57
Why did we pay 500k more like?! We wanted better than we had and that was the price we had to pay.
Their manager must have thought he could sort him out. If he put some effort, lost the weight, got fit, he would have been a very good Championship player. Probably wouldn't have signed for us though. He dropped down a league as well didn't he
I remember him being good in front of goal? Never missed a penalty either?
Posted by: lee65, January 9, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 58
Always remember, Omar (or anyone) is only one serious injury from being worth eff all. I'd take £1m, plus decent sell on this month and move on
Posted by: SteffiMariner, January 10, 2017, 12:18am; Reply: 59
I'm assuming Lee Ashcroft poked nightrider's misses because the guy was not as bad as he is making out. He scored goals and we sold him for basically what we got him for. The guy was class in div 2, just not so good in div 1.
Posted by: Garth, January 10, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 60
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Rotherham have only offered 350k and he will go for under 1 mill.  Probably about 750k in the end. That's realism

Yorkie WUM
Posted by: moosey_club, January 10, 2017, 9:17am; Reply: 61
Quoted from SteffiMariner
I'm assuming Lee Ashcroft poked nightrider's misses because the guy was not as bad as he is making out. He scored goals and we sold him for basically what we got him for. The guy was class in div 2, just not so good in div 1.

When you see his goals on old clips you sit up and look and think ...jeez who was that ?? He was decent from my memory.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 10, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 62
2-3 million would be about right for a young, powerful and free-scoring striker. There has been more money spent on strikers from league 2 than 2-3mill.

Does GTFC still have any club debt? if so, how much?

If we did receive, let's say, 3 million. We could put 1 million aside to pay off some of the clubs debt, and the other 2 million on buying some quality league players.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 10, 2017, 9:29am; Reply: 63
I remember him being ok ish maybe not exactly what we were  hoping for but then again I remember jilmmy Gilligan (majnu)(wallbash)(wallbash2)(wallbash)(wallbash2)(wallbash)(wallbash2)(wallbash)(wallbash2)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 10, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Grimsby2012
2-3 million would be about right for a young, powerful and free-scoring striker. There has been more money spent on strikers from league 2 than 2-3mill.

Does GTFC still have any club debt? if so, how much?

If we did receive, let's say, 3 million. We could put 1 million aside to pay off some of the clubs debt, and the other 2 million on buying some quality league players.

What do we exactly owe fenty anyone know ? Do we owe the Inland revenue anything ? Don't want spreadsheet accounts just a figure  :)
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 10, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 65
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

750k, on Bogle.... are you full of silicon?

You could buy an average middle-aged national league striker for that. Not bogle!
Posted by: Magsinrio, January 10, 2017, 9:59am; Reply: 66
Marcus Bignob should play Omar just so they can see who they wont be getting :)
Posted by: GrimRob, January 10, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 67
750 is a joke. Twice that and 50% of any sell on fee before I'd even be tempted  :)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 10, 2017, 11:03am; Reply: 68
David Nugent has signed for Derby County so that may reduce chances of Omar going there if he want to get games.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), January 10, 2017, 11:21am; Reply: 69
Quoted from GrimRob
750 is a joke. Twice that and 50% of any sell on fee before I'd even be tempted  :)

This. It's 2017. He's worth 2017 prices.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 10, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 70
As a strategy for dealing with situation I hope JF just puts up a big NOT FOR SALE sign at Blundell Park for Omar.

Tell any clubs that come-a-courting where to get off, he's staying. There's absolutely no need to rush into things. Once the window is starting to come to a close is when the bargaining begins and higher league managers start to get twitchy about not signing a proven goalscorer. If they don't come, I'd be more than happy anyway.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), January 10, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

What do we exactly owe fenty anyone know ? Do we owe the Inland revenue anything ? Don't want spreadsheet accounts just a figure  :)

[tweet]793235201438707716[/tweet]
Posted by: psgmariner, January 10, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 72
Do "liabilities" include the Fenty benign loans? I wouldnt have thought so.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 10, 2017, 4:47pm; Reply: 73
Well if we do only owe him £1.6m then if we get £2.5m for Omar then we should repay it all.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 10, 2017, 4:48pm; Reply: 74
CREDITORS: AMOUNTS FALLING DUE WITHIN ONE YEAR
2016 2015
£ £
Bank loan (see note 14) 48,476 46,647
Trade creditors 141,706 147,491
Social security and other taxes 141,785 60,969
Other creditors 11,441 21,065
Accrued expenses 34,657 60,866
Deferred income 11,716 13,424
Directors' loans 2,209,700 2,244,550

2,599,481 2,595,012
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 10, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 75
As someone who contributed to the funding operation, I would like to know how much of that was spent bringing Omar to the club.

Then when he goes I can work out the return on my £40.00 😉
Posted by: SteffiMariner, January 10, 2017, 5:12pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters
CREDITORS: AMOUNTS FALLING DUE WITHIN ONE YEAR
2016 2015
£ £
Bank loan (see note 14) 48,476 46,647
Trade creditors 141,706 147,491
Social security and other taxes 141,785 60,969
Other creditors 11,441 21,065
Accrued expenses 34,657 60,866
Deferred income 11,716 13,424
Directors' loans 2,209,700 2,244,550

2,599,481 2,595,012

Have you got the debtors information, too, just to keep it in perspective?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 10, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Have you got the debtors information, too, just to keep it in perspective?

11. DEBTORS: AMOUNTS FALLING DUE WITHIN ONE YEAR
2016 2015
£ £
Trade debtors 80,537 63,609
Other debtors 241,083 273,389
Prepayments 35,520 12,281

357,140 349,279
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2017, 5:58pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Civvy at last
As someone who contributed to the funding operation, I would like to know how much of that was spent bringing Omar to the club.

Then when he goes I can work out the return on my £40.00 😉

A 3 million total (2.5 plus add ons) from an initial outlay of 30k equates to a hundred-fold increase so my hundred quid should pocket me a cool 10k all in all...

I'll fax over the paperwork Mr. F, cheers mate you're a good 'un.

8) :P ;)

Posted by: Les Brechin, January 11, 2017, 8:52am; Reply: 79
No idea how true it is but a Rotherham fan on another forum says they have made a 2nd bid for Omar. Doesn't say how much though.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2017, 10:18am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Les Brechin
No idea how true it is but a Rotherham fan on another forum says they have made a 2nd bid for Omar. Doesn't say how much though.

You should let them know they need to add a nought at the end  :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 11, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 81
Quoted from GrimRob

You should let them know they need to add a nought at the end  :)

Bearing in mind they are tight Yorkies, you may wish to point out which end to put the nought on !!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2017, 11:45am; Reply: 82
Will probably get slaughtered for saying this but the group i go to games with were discussing the Omar transfer at the last home game and the general consensus was that 1 to 1.5 million would be about his value. He is big and powerful and will score goals but it was felt that his all round game isn't quite good enough to take him to the very top and at his age, he may not get all that much better now. His temperament can be suspect and he drifts out of games if it isn't going his way. He doesn't have the best of first touches and his decision making isn't always the greatest. He will always prosper in the modern game with his physical attributes and he is definitely destined for higher things than GTFC but some felt he doesn't quite have the tools to go all the way to the Prem.

If looked at dispassionately from a scouts point of view, these things will be noticed.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 11, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 83
Quoted from ginnywings
Will probably get slaughtered for saying this but the group i go to games with were discussing the Omar transfer at the last home game and the general consensus was that 1 to 1.5 million would be about his value. He is big and powerful and will score goals but it was felt that his all round game isn't quite good enough to take him to the very top and at his age, he may not get all that much better now. His temperament can be suspect and he drifts out of games if he it isn't going his way. He doesn't have the best of first touches and his decision making isn't always the greatest.He will always prosper in the modern game with his physical attributes and he is definitely destined for higher things than GTFC but some felt he doesn't quite have the tools to go all the way to the Prem.

His first touch, hold up play and awareness have improved massively this season, and despite being 23 he hasn't played a huge amount of football at a decent level, If his ball control and all round game improve as much in the next 12 months as they have in the last he will be a fearsome striker at any level.

His mentality does need to improve, he needs to not dwell on mistakes and think "I'll score the next one" and not sulk, also when he's out of the game he needs to not try and do everyone's jobs but stay up top, he can drift out wide as centre halves won't know where is or who to mark if his movements good.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2017, 12:03pm; Reply: 84
Fair enough 09, it's all about opinions and i'm just giving the general consensus from the group of fans i attend with, not necessarily my views on him. He's 23 (or 24 depending on where you look) and he has improved massively while with us but the question scouts will ask themselves is how much more will he improve from here and how much he is worth for them to find out.
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2017, 1:19pm; Reply: 85
One thing you would have to say about Bogle is that he's scored loads of goals this year without a great deal of support alongside him. If he was working off a foil who was doing much of his work for him, it would be less impressive, but the fact that he's had to lead the line pretty much single-handedly at times means that his goal return is pretty remarkable.

I certainly agree that his all-round game has plenty of room for improvement but if you compare to players such as Darren Bent in his prime (though he's obviously not at the same level) or other 'poachers', he has to do a heck of a lot more work to earn his goals.

I have to admit, he's played better on a number of occasions this season than I thought he was capable of doing from what I saw last season. This bodes well for the future, especially if he can sort out his temperament and stop beating himself up when things aren't going his way.

I'd like to see him stay until the end of the season and see how well he does with a more threatening strike partner such as Yussuf (or Effiong?).

Ultimately, the biggest factor managers are looking for is the ability to put the ball in the net, something he has done very well this season.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 11, 2017, 1:31pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Maringer
One thing you would have to say about Bogle is that he's scored loads of goals this year without a great deal of support alongside him. If he was working off a foil who was doing much of his work for him, it would be less impressive, but the fact that he's had to lead the line pretty much single-handedly at times means that his goal return is pretty remarkable.

I certainly agree that his all-round game has plenty of room for improvement but if you compare to players such as Darren Bent in his prime (though he's obviously not at the same level) or other 'poachers', he has to do a heck of a lot more work to earn his goals.

I have to admit, he's played better on a number of occasions this season than I thought he was capable of doing from what I saw last season. This bodes well for the future, especially if he can sort out his temperament and stop beating himself up when things aren't going his way.

I'd like to see him stay until the end of the season and see how well he does with a more threatening strike partner such as Yussuf (or Effiong?).

Ultimately, the biggest factor managers are looking for is the ability to put the ball in the net, something he has done very well this season.

Having watched Darren Bent in his younger days at Charlton he was one of the most hard working strikers I have EVER seen. His movement off the ball was phenomenal however I agree to having doubts whether Omar will ever be a top level striker despite the huge improvements he has made.
One week he looks unplayable, the next that he is struggling at League 2 level. I will be delighted if we keep him until the summer and honestly  think it may be the best for his own development
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 11, 2017, 1:32pm; Reply: 87
And also it was Hurst who had the foresight to give him the 3 year deal and was able to develop him exponentially over the summer.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2017, 1:42pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Mariner_09
And also it was Hurst who had the foresight to give him the 3 year deal and was able to develop him exponentially over the summer.

Giving him a 3 year deal was in the best interests of the club and i would say it was the board who take the credit for that as much as Hurst.
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2017, 1:59pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Cloudy

Having watched Darren Bent in his younger days at Charlton he was one of the most hard working strikers I have EVER seen. His movement off the ball was phenomenal however I agree to having doubts whether Omar will ever be a top level striker despite the huge improvements he has made.
One week he looks unplayable, the next that he is struggling at League 2 level. I will be delighted if we keep him until the summer and honestly  think it may be the best for his own development

I don't doubt that Bent worked hard - just noting that he never played the targetman role in the way that Bogle has had to. Doing a lot of running and good movement off the ball is one thing, but a physical battle with defenders when isolated on your own up front is a different matter.

Bogle and Bent are certainly different types of strikers, however, so not all that much of a direct comparison to be had. Bogle's more of a lower-division Drogba/Lukaku sort of player (though obviously nowhere near as good as either!), not a poacher.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 11, 2017, 2:11pm; Reply: 90
I echo ginnywing's thoughts. Those games were he is clearly getting frustrated and becomes redundant will work against him, in the aspect of his ability to adapt. And ultimately, he is an extreme case of a confidence player. So teams will be wary of forking out too much on a player, who, when he isnt scoring, isn't offering much more.
Posted by: Brazilnut, January 11, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Maringer

Bogle and Bent are certainly different types of strikers, however, so not all that much of a direct comparison to be had. Bogle's more of a lower-division Drogba/Lukaku sort of player (though obviously nowhere near as good as either!), not a poacher.

He reminds me more of a Heskey.......even in the way he splits the fans opinion  of  him
Posted by: mariner91, January 11, 2017, 3:12pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Brazilnut

He reminds me more of a Heskey.......even in the way he splits the fans opinion  of  him

Does he split opinion? I'm sure at least 90% of our fans would say he's fairly good if not better. Heskey was just a battering ram. Omar has ability.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 11, 2017, 3:16pm; Reply: 93
The thing is. There is a difference between the value of a player, and how in demand he is.

He may be worth 1-1.5 million, but he could easily go for double that (2-3 million) if he creates a bidding war.
Posted by: Brazilnut, January 11, 2017, 3:29pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from mariner91

Does he split opinion? I'm sure at least 90% of our fans would say he's fairly good if not better. Heskey was just a battering ram. Omar has ability.

to a certain extent he does , some think he is the dogs b0ll0cks /golden goose and others are more reserved and question his temperament
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 11, 2017, 3:32pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from mariner91

sorry, maybe I am being a bit thick here, but isn't value (financial) based almost entirely on demand?
Posted by: mariner91, January 11, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from BeijingMariner

sorry, maybe I am being a bit thick here, but isn't value (financial) based almost entirely on demand?

Yes but I'm not sure how that's related to the post you quoted?
Posted by: Hertsmariner, January 11, 2017, 3:53pm; Reply: 97
I've maintained all along that Town should do their utmost to keep Omar at least until the summer. Renewing his acquaintance with Marcus, who is constantly saying he wants more from Omar, suggests to me that there may well be more to come from him with hard work, and particularly if the team's 'rhythm' can be improved with this month's signings-a better supply of balls to his feet would be a start. The fact that his overall game has improved so much in 12 months suggests to me that with another half-season at BP, some of the remaining 'rough edges' can be removed.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from ginnywings

Giving him a 3 year deal was in the best interests of the club and i would say it was the board who take the credit for that as much as Hurst.

Joint effort I'm sure as we debated at length recently PH had a budget and if we offered deals in years 2 and 3 I am sure he would have know that would have had an impact especially if we failed to go up.

If I was a scout or a recruiting manager I would have to look at how much Omar could be developed going forward before I made an offer as he in my mind is not a signing to make an instant impact he will need time and judging by what we can see a manager who is savvy enough when to know to kick him up the backside (sub on the bench)  put an arm around him.    
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 11, 2017, 4:10pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from mariner91

Yes but I'm not sure how that's related to the post you quoted?

clicked the one below by mistake :-) should have been this one

"The thing is. There is a difference between the value of a player, and how in demand he is."
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 11, 2017, 4:17pm; Reply: 100
The question for me as how long we are prepared to hold our nerve for, if a bidding war ensues we could feasibly get a preposterously inflated price on deadline day.
Posted by: Magsinrio, January 11, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 101
I think now that the window is open the demand would rise very quickly if he got 2 or three goals this saturday and the next game.
Posted by: Chris Packit, January 11, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 102
Interesting that Rotherham have turned down bids from 3 clubs for Danny Ward. He has scored 8 in 18 in the Championship and is  valued at £2m. Where does that leave Omar?
Posted by: Chris Packit, January 11, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 103
Interesting that Rotherham have turned down bids from 3 clubs for Danny Ward. He has scored 8 in 18 in the Championship and is  valued at £2m. Where does that leave Omar?
Posted by: nightrider, January 11, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 104
Baring in mind he will be looking to move to the Championship? Ive heard Forest being one club that's interested, do people think he's as good as Britt Assombalonga?

Thinking about it, he's probably not far off. I presume Assombalonga must be worth 8m+
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 12, 2017, 4:53pm; Reply: 105

The plot thickens -

Rotherham caretaker manager denies £850,000 Omar bid.

There have been reports that the Millers, who are looking for a new striker in the January transfer window, have bid £850,000 for the 18-goal Grimsby Town hitman. But Warne insisted: “I’ve seen what’s been put out there. I can categorically say that we haven’t offered that figure. “I’m not saying that we have offered. We haven’t offered that figure, that’s definitely not the case.

Posted by: Chris Packit, January 12, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 106
Don't shoot the messenger but it's rumoured that if Rowett becomes Forest manager they won't want Omar. If he is sold in this window I bet the fee will be... undisclosed.
Posted by: Meza, January 12, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Chris Packit
Don't shoot the messenger but it's rumoured that if Rowett becomes Forest manager they won't want Omar. If he is sold in this window I bet the fee will be... undisclosed.

Eh?  :-/
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 6:48pm