Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 11, 2016, 9:20am
So my employer at work are giving us new contracts, the thing is we get 28 days paid holiday. What they want to do is take 8 days of them holidays and  make us use them for the 8 bank holidays so 20 days left is 4 weeks. But what they said is if we have the bank hol of we dont get paid for it even though were using one of our 8 days up from our holiday. Is this right and can they do this ?
Thanks
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 11, 2016, 9:26am; Reply: 1
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
So my employer at work are giving us new contracts, the thing is we get 28 days paid holiday. What they want to do is take 8 days of them holidays and  make us use them for the 8 bank holidays so 20 days left is 4 weeks. But what they said is if we have the bank hol of we dont get paid for it even though were using one of our 8 days up from our holiday. Is this right and can they do this ?
Thanks

Are you in the union mate? It maybe worth seeing what their take on this is.

To me that doesn't seem fair because before you had 28 days A/L with pay now your employer are saying it's now 20 days with pay and the other 8 days you have to work them to get paid.

I work for Network rail and if you work a bank holiday you get paid time and half and a day in lieu or you can take double time and half with no day in lieu.

If I'm rest day on a bank holiday I still get paid an extra 4hrs pay on top of my normal earnings.

I would definitely question your predicament Zorro because it doesn't sound fair in the way they are going about this.

Chris
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 11, 2016, 11:36am; Reply: 2
Ask for a pay rise
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 11, 2016, 1:01pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Are you in the union mate? It maybe worth seeing what their take on this is.

To me that doesn't seem fair because before you had 28 days A/L with pay now your employer are saying it's now 20 days with pay and the other 8 days you have to work them to get paid.

I work for Network rail and if you work a bank holiday you get paid time and half and a day in lieu or you can take double time and half with no day in lieu.

If I'm rest day on a bank holiday I still get paid an extra 4hrs pay on top of my normal earnings.

I would definitely question your predicament Zorro because it doesn't sound fair in the way they are going about this.

Chris

I rang acas up and they agreed with you, they told me to get a print of my contract read it properly if it that then give them another ring because its against the law.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 11, 2016, 1:34pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

I rang acas up and they agreed with you, they told me to get a print of my contract read it properly if it that then give them another ring because its against the law.

Hope you get it sorted, stand up for yourself & don't let them get away with it, how do your fellow colleagues feel about this Zorro?
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 11, 2016, 10:56pm; Reply: 5
If you are in a Union you pay fees for them to deal with employers like this. However, companies seem to be able to change contracts to suit what they want. I've gone through a flexible 1/2 hour added onto our day to suit the business needs. It's paid at time and half but the fact is it is flowered up forced overtime. You may have to take industrial action but that only works if the majority do it.
Posted by: scrumble, October 12, 2016, 8:12am; Reply: 6
Full time workers working a five day week are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave. Those days  are used to cover bank holidays, but you do get paid for them. Anything else is breaking employment law
Posted by: barralad, October 12, 2016, 12:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from scrumble
Full time workers working a five day week are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave. Those days  are used to cover bank holidays, but you do get paid for them. Anything else is breaking employment law

Quite.....Until of course we "Get our country back" and the Government dispense with such inconveniences...
Posted by: Ipswin, October 12, 2016, 12:32pm; Reply: 8
Resign immediately, go on the dole (while you are waiting for a job with Network Rail) and get paid for having 365 days holiday a year
Posted by: ginnywings, October 13, 2016, 10:54pm; Reply: 9
excrement like this is the reason i have been self employed for 25 years.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 20, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 10
Here you go:

5.6 weeks paid leave (28 days). They can choose to make 8 of them on the Bank Holidays, but if they do this, they have to pay you and give you the day off. So it's either 28 days any time, or 20 days plus 8 days paid Bank Holidays off.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

Join a union if you're not already a member. They can talk to the employer on your behalf without you individually sticking your head above the parapet, if you're worried about victimisation.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 7:57am