Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: immariner, May 30, 2015, 3:50pm
I think as a supporter base we should really push ourselves next year. We saw in the second half of the season how much our support, especially away from home made a big difference to the team, which though impossible to quantity, probably contributed to a few extra points. I think that proved to those that say 'fans only react to what's happening on the pitch' and 'it's up to the players to get the crowd going' that that simply isn't true and that it's a two-way street. A proactive, supportive crowd who support the players because they want to see them succeed but also because they take pleasure in the collective noise a crowd can make (sounds a bit sad but I know I do) really can be the difference.

With that in mind, is it possible to achieve at least 4000 supporters at home and 500 away to all Saturday league games next season? I think it is. Torquay/Gateshead/Barrow/Cheltenham/Forest Green might be a stretch but it is possible. And though pure numbers doesn't count for everything, our collective support obviously gives us our budget and we're all so desperate to get out of the conference. Of course it depends how we go on the pitch but if we all spread the word and try and get our fellow (lapsed) Mariners to come along, we can, between us, achieve great things next season.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 30, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 1
Think it's a 2 way street myself- the fans and the players feed off each other. Which one starts the ball rolling is open to debate.

It seemed to be the incident with the inflatable ball at FGR that galvanised the fans last season. Strange how things work out.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 30, 2015, 4:20pm; Reply: 2
Think we should boycott  FGR next season and just send 500 inflatables.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 30, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 3
Think we should boycott  FGR next season and just send 500 inflatables.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 30, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

On the contrary, we should aim to take as many as possible, all with inflatables a la Barnet.
Posted by: Laddy89, May 30, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 5
The fans will start the ball rolling to begin with, no doubt.

If the feel good factor continues, which im sure it will, the fans will go.

If the first game is away, we will fill the allocation,  and if at home, I hope 6,000.

Then its down to the players to get off to a good start and give the fans something to feed off
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 30, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 6
I'm hoping FGR away will beat the Barnet away game for atmosphere
Posted by: Caesar, May 30, 2015, 5:13pm; Reply: 7
Personally I think that is a very good target we should set. Plus while some away games are tough to, the southern exiles like myself should be able to boost the numbers.

The noise factor is deffo a 2 way street amd sometimes you need a spark on the pitch. But I can easily think of a couple of occassions this season where fans chanting pushed the team on to secure points.
Posted by: rancido, May 30, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 8
I think the key is about two things a/ who we sign this summer and b/ how we perform the first home game. If we sign some half decent players AND show an intent to storm this league first home match then the supporters will come. The first home game  is crucial and a decent , attractive performance could set the tone for the season.
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 30, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 9
I certainly fancy a weekend in Torquay. Hope it's early on.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 30, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 10
Agree with the above , it's up to the southern exiles to boost the away numbers down here . There's plenty of us .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 30, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 11
And with some more organisation a southern fans group needs setting up in the summer
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 30, 2015, 5:38pm; Reply: 12
FGR are in for an inflatable invasion with this in mind wouldn't it be great if the club used their nogging and reintroduced Harry Haddock as part of "the twelfth man." I am sure this would be a best seller and the club could make a decent profit, only this time lets have a proper haddock no spots or rainbow colours just a black and white Haddock.

Imagine at least 500 away and a 1000 or so at home together with the "FISH" chant it would be awesome.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 13
Inflatable theme for FGR: meat*

Blow-up burgers and pork chops. I suppose that erm, "sausage" from the Barnet game would qualify.  ;)

* I would have said non-renewable energy but can't imagine there are any blow-up cooling towers or slag heaps the market.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 30, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 14
The home performances and results need to be much better than last season.  Especially, against the teams that we "should" beat.

If the home performances and results ARE a lot better, than the fans will come to BP. The opposite will happen if we struggle.  
Posted by: mariner83, May 30, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
And with some more organisation a southern fans group needs setting up in the summer

There's one for fans in that there London
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/146026242104193/?fref=ts]Fishy Folk in the Big Smoke[/url]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 31, 2015, 4:33pm; Reply: 16
Rumour has it that we will not be allowed in the green man next season.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 31, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 17
Tranmere away should be a good atmosphere. Not a particularly long way and the 2 biggest clubs in the league. Maybe even the two sides going for promotion.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 31, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 18
It would be fantastic to see inflatables at FGR next year. We need a pie to give to Parkin and we can sing the song.
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Tranmere away should be a good atmosphere. Not a particularly long way and the 2 biggest clubs in the league. Maybe even the two sides going for promotion.

It's coast to Coast mate - the best part of 150 miles each way.
Posted by: gary_elton, June 1, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 20
FGR away first game of the season please... but I reckon unseen pressure from FGR will make that game
a horrible tuesday night in February.....

Posted by: arryarryarry, June 1, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from SamTheMariner

This would be best if it was the last game of the season where we win to claim the title and we send the plastic scousers down to erase the memory of our last game there.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 1, 2015, 1:53pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from gary_elton
FGR away first game of the season please... but I reckon unseen pressure from FGR will make that game
a horrible tuesday night in February.....

Teams can gain advantage by playing a certain team at a certain time or not as the case may be. It should not be allowed, even Xmas and New Year.

Posted by: BIGChris, June 1, 2015, 2:16pm; Reply: 23
Certainly have a strong feeling that FGR away will be a midweek evening
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 1, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 24
when we finally get a game with Beijing Guoan I will deffo organise the Far East Mariners posse
Posted by: Town Monkey, June 1, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 25
I for one will be at FGR this season with an inflatable of some sort!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 6:40pm