Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 29, 2015, 2:08pm
So the midfield stays the same for the 2nd season which is great for consistency !
Posted by: oldun, May 29, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 1
I was rather hoping we might have 1 new face in there, someone more physical with pace to get into the opposition box.
Posted by: Neilo83, May 29, 2015, 2:36pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from oldun
I was rather hoping we might have 1 new face in there, someone more physical with pace to get into the opposition box.

we still might
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, May 29, 2015, 2:45pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
So the midfield stays the same for the 2nd season which is great for consistency !

Not if we're consistently not good enough in this area!

Still feel we're not strong enough in midfield and I fear that this will cost us again this season.

Where are the players who can control a game and create chances for the strikers?

We should be looking to recruit the best midfield players available at this level if we're going to get promoted.

UTM

Posted by: Maringer, May 29, 2015, 2:47pm; Reply: 4
Yep, I agree that our lack of strength and pace in the middle of the park is a weakness at times. I know that Chandler's name has been mentioned here and there and, from what I've seen of him, he would give us the option of some much-needed pace in central midfield.
Posted by: fiveallive, May 29, 2015, 2:51pm; Reply: 5
Jamie Chandler fits the bill for me i mentioned the other week i think its a good midfield (central) Disley, Brown, Clay and Chandler good mix of youth and experience.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, May 29, 2015, 2:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

Not if we're consistently not good enough in this area!

Still feel we're not strong enough in midfield and I fear that this will cost us again this season.

Where are the players who can control a game and create chances for the strikers?

We should be looking to recruit the best midfield players available at this level if we're going to get promoted.

UTM

So we are consistently not good enough in midfield ?  ,and lots , have said our strikers  rare not  great .
I'm fooling amazed that we got anywhere near promotion 😜
UTM
Posted by: DocTower, May 29, 2015, 3:06pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from highcliff mariner

So we are consistently not good enough in midfield ?  ,and lots , have said our strikers  rare not  great .
I'm fooling amazed that we got anywhere near promotion 😜
UTM

If we are to get promotion  we have to be better than last term , better players . Stats  don't lie .  Last season is now history  .
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 3:07pm; Reply: 8
Think Lois Maynard would have been perfect had he not signed for Tranmere! 12 goals from midfield with bags of power and creativity. Halifax's POTY and exactly the sort of players we should be aiming to sign IMO.

I have total faih in PH to bring in the required quality though!
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 29, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 9
Thought our midfield last season was the best we've had for years. I'm delighted we've kept them together.  
Posted by: gytone, May 29, 2015, 4:14pm; Reply: 10
The only thing missing for me last year was goal scored and that's what the stats say, quite liked Lenny but not too fussed he has gone although all we need now is one or two goalscorers easy done  :P
Posted by: northbankmariner, May 29, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 11
Happy with our midfielders. All decent players, but I would like to see a right winger beat his man and cross the ball with his right foot. Not saying anything bad about mackreth, very willing and helps out the full back massively but too many times in games he tries to beat his man only to then cut inside and play weak crosses with his left peg.
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 29, 2015, 11:05pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer
Yep, I agree that our lack of strength and pace in the middle of the park is a weakness at times. I know that Chandler's name has been mentioned here and there and, from what I've seen of him, he would give us the option of some much-needed pace in central midfield.

Don't think he has the physique we could do with, and the only pace he demonstrated at BP was running to the ref to remonstrate and moan about decisions, in fact he spent most of the game in the centre circle but I think he was carrying an injury.

Posted by: Stew0_0, May 30, 2015, 8:59am; Reply: 13
Still think we'll sign 2 more midfielders. Another cm (chandler) and another winger
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 30, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 14
A wish list would be:

A creative midfielder,

A winger who can create something out of nothing, (a slimmer, more consistent version of Scott Neilson)

Omar Bogle

Another striker.

Maybe with Lenny departing Hurst will change the way we play and utilise Mackreth and Arnold better.
Posted by: Paul62, May 30, 2015, 11:57pm; Reply: 15
My very personal point of view from the limited number games I saw as an exile last season was of a midfield that played quite defensively. They sometimes appeared nearer the back four and were slow to react to loose balls particularly when looking for the lay offs from long aimless balls played forward. On a more positive note we  looked dangerous and created great chances when quick ball was played through our midfield on the floor. I think most of us would like to see more quality in midfield but I am worried we're too reliant on Disley, something I don't envisage changing next season.
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2015, 7:57am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Barrattstander

Don't think he has the physique we could do with, and the only pace he demonstrated at BP was running to the ref to remonstrate and moan about decisions, in fact he spent most of the game in the centre circle but I think he was carrying an injury.

This. I don't think he's a player we need.
Posted by: DocTower, May 31, 2015, 7:58am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Paul62
My very personal point of view from the limited number games I saw as an exile last season was of a midfield that played quite defensively. They sometimes appeared nearer the back four and were slow to react to loose balls particularly when looking for the lay offs from long aimless balls played forward. On a more positive note we  looked dangerous and created great chances when quick ball was played through our midfield on the floor. I think most of us would like to see more quality in midfield but I am worried we're too reliant on Disley, something I don't envisage changing next season.

I agree with your observations,  we know they can move the ball on the floor and be dangerous , but they are playing to order .  When I have made these comments I'm being told I'm negative . Again , Disley is in the twilight of his career , and like yourself feel we can't rely  on past performances .
Posted by: essexexile, May 31, 2015, 9:13am; Reply: 18
Whatever we need more goals from midfield and Dis should get in the box more often particularly as he's the best header we've got in the side Just means when he goes forward Clay or Brown has to do his job at the back
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 31, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 19
I footballing terms Clay should continue to develop as a central midfielder for a few years yet so we may well have that dynimism already. He certainly showed it at Wembley, tho granted that was against tired legs, but he showed more vision and drive than anyone else other than Arnold in the first twenty mins.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Paul62

With you on this, Hurst is defence first....i do not think this will change...thats why we have Mackreth and not Neilson, Mackreth does more defensively than he offers in attack IMO and that is why he has been offered a new deal.  Arnold didnt offer too much as a traditional winger either, he looked far more dangerous when we played in the more lopsided formation where he drifted in centrally and picked up loose balls off the front line.
With all 5 of the regular midfield being resigned then its hard to see that any of that will change for next season,it would need either a formation swap ( he tried that at the start of this season and didnt like it ) , a mindset change leaning more towards attack ( leopards dont change their spots nor zebra's their stripes ) or assuming their are still 4 first team signings left in the budget ( with Hannah, Jolley, Palmer, Paddy, Bignot and potentially Toto and Magnay wages still to spend) then the next signings will be pivotal. I personally want to see some pace, some power and some flair brought in to give us the extra dimension attacking wise.
Posted by: oldun, May 31, 2015, 10:39am; Reply: 21
I agree and would like to see a powerful midfield player to support the attack. However, It is possible that Craig Clay will develop further next season, after not rating him when he signed, I have been really pleased with his progress and would like to see him given a good run in the starting line-up.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 2:53pm