Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinerdean, May 29, 2015, 10:56am
Don't know if this has been mentioned but he's signed or Newport
Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 1
Just seen that. League football so fair enough.

Butcher would have watched him last year when he was going to sign Rodman
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 29, 2015, 11:00am; Reply: 2
[url]http://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/article/newport-county-rhys-taylor-scott-barrow-lenell-john-lewis-2475172.aspx[/url]

Two year contract. No brainer for the bloke isn't it?
Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2015, 11:00am; Reply: 3
Hmm cant blame the guy, he had a good season last year and I think he will be missed but he's 100% replaceable. Tbh i am surprised he's left though, the amount of loyalty in which Hurst has shown him i thought might have counted for something, and also the way the club itself treated him
Posted by: austinmitchell, May 29, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 4
Always rated him and so pleased opinion turned in favour of him during the latter stage of this season. He'll always have a place in my heart.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 29, 2015, 11:04am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid
Hmm cant blame the guy, he had a good season last year and I think he will be missed but he's 100% replaceable. Tbh i am surprised he's left though, the amount of loyalty in which Hurst has shown him i thought might have counted for something, and also the way the club itself treated him

Maybe it's a sign that Hurst expected it and already had a replacement in mind? If he's anything like a good manager he will know that a good strike force was the missing link last season.

Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2015, 11:04am; Reply: 6
Good luck Lenny! It's been a pleasure! Comical at times, brilliant others!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 29, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 7
Always divided opinion so some will be pleased to see the back of him

Always gave his all for us even though his finishing left a lot to be desired

Good luck back in the FL Lenny

Meanwhile, we move on. Plenty more fish in the sea
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 29, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 8
Quoted from gtfc98
Good luck Lenny! It's been a pleasure! Comical at times, brilliant others!

Not as comical as Clayton McDonald.

Remember him booting the ball over the Findus, from the Osmand end penalty spot on the volley.
Posted by: LH, May 29, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 9
Hurst's faith counts for nothing when he's got some sections of the fanbase shouting to get him off the pitch! A really under appreciated player who was so "excrement" he's moved up a division. Good luck Lenny.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 10
Fair play to Lenny he deserves league football. Will miss the 'shop' chant but certainly replaceable!
Posted by: Tinymariner, May 29, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 11
Don't blame him, he was never going to please some sections of fans. Best of luck to him. UTM
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 29, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 12
Be very surprised if he scores as many next season in league 2.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 29, 2015, 11:08am; Reply: 13
What do I do about that tattoo on my arm?
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 29, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 14
I think he'll struggle at that level and Newport supporters won't take to him if he misses the same amount of sitters as he did for us. Will be be given the extended run in the team there that he needs in order to play to the level he's capable of? I'm not sure and feel he may come to regret his decision not to stay with us. Of course given that it's for league football and presumably higher wages I can at least understand his motivation.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 29, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 15
What about Lloyd Grittith's tattoo??
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 29, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Chrisblor
I think he'll struggle at that level and Newport supporters won't take to him if he misses the same amount of sitters as he did for us. Will be be given the extended run in the team there that he needs in order to play to the level he's capable of? I'm not sure and feel he may come to regret his decision not to stay with us. Of course given that it's for league football and presumably higher wages I can at least understand his motivation.

I liked him, wish him all the best, and don't blame him for moving up to the league.

But if there's an element of our play that needs an overhaul it's up front. We just didn't score enough last season. May well be best for everyone.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 17
As a fan we seem to say we want to see players give their all.

IMO Lennie gave his all, ALL of the time and I wish him nothing but well in the future.

With a new baby to provide for, league football and a 2 year deal I hope it goes well for te guy
Posted by: Maringer, May 29, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 18
Good move for him and the security of a 2 year contract back in the League is a result. Despite the faith shown in him by Hurst, it's no surprise he's left when you consider the amount of stick he's received from some quarters over the past couple of years.

This is an interesting one for Hurst now as our current style of play requires a hard-working target man. Though Pittman has a great spring for his size, we can't rely on his fitness for the whole season. We'll need another physical forward on the books whether it is somebody with great strength or blistering pace (or both!).

It seems likely that we'll be seeing a pretty much completely new forward line in comparison to last season unless Palmer signs. Interesting choices ahead for Hurst.
Posted by: Tommy, May 29, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 19
Surprising one for me as I expected him to stay with us.
But as others have said can't fault the guy for leaving to play in the FL again.

I've always backed him and defended him against criticism during games, but personally I would have released him when we released Cook last summer. As I thought we should've been aiming for better than both if them.

Can't argue with the 20 goals this season which for a target-man striker is a really good return. But when you think how many he could/should have had and how many games we drew over the season, a better finisher is needed.

I don't think it'll be a massive loss as he's replaceable and if we can get a strong striker in who is a more clinical finisher we'll be better off.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 20
Much respect for Lenny and his work ethic. Can't blame him for moving on and bettering himself whilst his stock is high. Will be interesting to see how he fares higher up. Scored with his fizzog at Wembley and i bet there aren't many who can say that.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2015, 11:19am; Reply: 21
How many target men also score 20 goals a season? All the haters, hang your heads in shame!
Posted by: chicaneuk, May 29, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 22
Quoted from 97

I liked him, wish him all the best, and don't blame him for moving up to the league.

But if there's an element of our play that needs an overhaul it's up front. We just didn't score enough last season. May well be best for everyone.

Pretty much how I feel about it. His goal tally was good, but there's this feeling that somehow that tally paints a better picture than reality for me. He never felt like a dead cert to score when he was in the box, and just how many sitters and good chances did he miss that could have seen his goal tally look far more impressive.
Posted by: austinmitchell, May 29, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 23
Underrated and the subject of so much criticism throughout the season. What a shame.
Posted by: Corkyefes, May 29, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 24
Never good to lose a 20 goal striker, whatever division you are in.

Never understood the haters.
Not having his 20 goals, would of meant we never got into the playoffs potentially?

Good luck to the bloke. You deserve to get yourself in a higher league after scoring that many and still taking the excrement.

Really hope Hurst has got some targets in the horizon.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 25
I feel the main problem was not having a regular goalscorer alongside him. He did the target man role very well and despite initial misgivings, i admit to being swayed round by him in the end. Wish him all the best.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 26
Lennie did miss a few BUT he was always in the position to get those chances. You might have a better finisher but they also have to get in the positions.

Lennie's work ethic and strength will be hard to replace and a jonny on the spot alone wont be good enough. Hopefully a direct replacement for the shop AND a goalhanger who does sodomist all but finds the net.

Easy isnt it? ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, May 29, 2015, 11:27am; Reply: 27
Good luck to him.

Loved him as a player and hope he scores loads for Newport. As others have alluded to his move to the football league makes those who thought he was crap look a bit daft.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 29, 2015, 11:28am; Reply: 28
Massive blow.  

Hurst's game plan works around LJL and has done for the past two years.  Either we get in a similar type player who will do the same amount of work for the team or Hurst tries a different approach.

I wonder if Hannah would have been released had Hurst known LJL was leaving...
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 29, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 29
The shop has shut.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 30
Quoted from bobbyturtle
The shop has shut.

;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 29, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 31
Be very surprised if he scores as many next season in league 2.

I tend to agree, especially if he doesn't take their penalties. He's an on/off player as far as goals are concerned. Not reliable and consistent. 18 goals sounds a lot but there's a few penalties in there and they were not spread evenly over the season plus his finishing rate on easy chances must have cost the side points.

On the plus side, his workmate is second to none, his lay off play has improved a bit and with a sharp strike partner playing to his strengths he could be OK in L2. Whether he is worth a 2 year contract is another question though ......
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 29, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 32
We must be the only fanbase in the world with spilt opinions on a 20-goal striker.  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 29, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 33
Quoted from diehardmariner
I wonder if Hannah would have been released had Hurst known LJL was leaving...

I was just thinking that. I don't think there's any chance Hannah coming back, but I think it was clear he was released because he didn't fit the system, not due to lack of ability. LJL was a huge part of our game plan and if we have to make significant changes to our tactics then someone like Hannah would possibly fit in.
Posted by: Caesar, May 29, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 34
Think he did a lot of work for the team and liked him a lot.  Was an important part in the way we played and ended up scoring a lot of goals this season.

But equally I think one of our best periods of the season was when Palmer and Pittman were the main men up front and the Shop was injured and welcoming his daughter.  Is certainly a loss but not the one I am most gutted about and wish him all the best for the future!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 29, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 35
So, who's going to shove that hotdog up Jonnyboy's bottom now?  :)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 29, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 36
imho rather proves the point that managers and coaches are far better judges of footballing ability than fans!
hope he does really well for them, 2 year contract, football league, presumably a pay rise - just reward for all the perseverance and hard work he's shown over the years. was great fun while he was around and i think we will miss him far more than the haters suspect. certainly us away fans know his value and how much his hard work were a key to the superb away form last year.
seems like a decent bloke - that xmas video always makes me smile and i think he's a player that we will remember with a smile in years to come
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 37
Who knows how many Palmer would have scored had he been here all season and taken the penalties. We'll never know.

Good luck to Lennie. Excellent work rate and a good guy if not the most gifted striker we've ever seen at BP.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 29, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 38
I think we've lost LJL at a time when he was showing his best form for us. His performance in the second leg against Eastleigh was superb and probably the best I saw from him in a black and white shirt.

I remember when he signed for us. No one expected it, no one saw it coming - we already had about 7 strikers on our books! I thought he'd be one of those players who'd leave us before his contract was up.

In the end he went on to become an integral player in a formation and system that nearly won us promotion. And he scored 20 goals along the way.

He gradually got better during his time with us, he won the fans over eventually (in no small part due to that xmas video I'm sure) and I think he owes a lot to Hurst for this move. He believed in him. I wonder where he'd be right now if we didn't offer him a deal last summer.

I don't blame the guy for going, given what he's been offered, and I wish him the best of luck.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 39
He got a lot of stick in his first year but we came to appreciate his team play. If he was a better finisher he'd be league one or higher.
Posted by: Trawler, May 29, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 40
Quoted from bobbyturtle
The shop has shut.

It just relocated.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 29, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 41
was it Paul Hurst giving up with his 4-5-1 / 433 system that helped LJL out abit?
Posted by: highcliff mariner, May 29, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 42
Not bothered , good guy a trier . we can find better .
utm
Posted by: Laddy89, May 29, 2015, 11:57am; Reply: 43
I use to slate this guy,  last season he proved me wrong...Abit....I still think hes a donkey. Abit of a Jean Louis Akpa Akpro type,  runs and runs but not what I would call a goalscorer.

I have no doubts at all that PH knew this was coming and will already be talking to many a world class strikers ;)
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 29, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 44
Bad news. Those who treated Lennie as a figure of ridicule will notice how big a loss he is if we don't find adequate replacements this summer. He scored 20 this season and created plenty of others. Good luck Lennie
Posted by: Strandty, May 29, 2015, 12:06pm; Reply: 45
Found this out yesterday, like I said I know his agent. Disappointed that he's gone but can't blame him wanting football league football! Let's hope we find another 20 goal striker for next season.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 29, 2015, 12:06pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Laddy89
I use to slate this guy,  last season he proved me wrong...Abit....I still think hes a donkey. Abit of a Jean Louis Akpa Akpro type,  runs and runs but not what I would call a goalscorer.

I have no doubts at all that PH knew this was coming and will already be talking to many a world class strikers ;)

Who has since consistently played at a higher level than Town.

Further highlights the point further up this thread about managers making far better decisions with players than fans.  
Posted by: poomehellt, May 29, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 47
Good luck too the guy, even though my feelings are that he was too frustrating a striker, missing comically the barn doors from good positions a little to regually considering he was Hurst's 1st choice.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 48
Duty Free as well
Posted by: Maringer, May 29, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Strandty
Found this out yesterday, like I said I know his agent. Disappointed that he's gone but can't blame him wanting football league football! Let's hope we find another 20 goal striker for next season.

Actually, let's hope we find a 30 goal striker next season!  ;)
Posted by: gaz57, May 29, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 50
Once again a present under the Christmas tree that doesn't last until next xmas.
Let's hope we get a replacement that is top of the tree.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 29, 2015, 12:25pm; Reply: 51
He will be a big miss!!!
Posted by: Laddy89, May 29, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from diehardmariner

Who has since consistently played at a higher level than Town.

Further highlights the point further up this thread about managers making far better decisions with players than fans.  

League two player and doesn't score that much... he was at town in league two... so hasn't exactly proved town fans wrong and gone on to go up the leagues... so I don't agree with your comment.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 29, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 53
Can't honestly say I'm that bothered.

Good luck lenny.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2015, 12:37pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Good luck lenny.

Sausage dodger.  ;)
Posted by: lowerfindus, May 29, 2015, 12:40pm; Reply: 55
IMO the departure of LJL is a good thing for PH the manager as he is being forced to develop the attacking line up for the next season.

We could lose all our defenders (I know we haven't) and Hurst would build a strong defence. It combines his decent eye for a player and his undoubted skills in coaching a back four (proven in the couple of years with differing players and the odd regular).

For me we need to build an attack that is not based on one hard working player who's goal scoring record is questionable. Yes he scored goals but he missed a hell of a lot too and due to recruitment/selection we had no alternative player for the role. We really could not afford to miss those chances. If we take the games we lost or drew at home and turned a few defeats into draws and the odd draw into a win we would have walked the league. Hurst must see this as the major failing of the season and ultimately the reason we lost out on promotion not JPP's missed penalty. Goals win games and he needs to get a selection of strikers that can deliver those goals.

Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Strandty

Do you though?  8)
Posted by: gtfc98, May 29, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Good luck lenny.

Don't think you're escaping the frankfurter that easy..... #getthesausageuphisarse
#doitfortheshop
Posted by: Mariner1980, May 29, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 58
Damn. Always put in a good shift. Probably just started to be a decent goal scorer now too.
Good luck Len.
Posted by: jaymariner, May 29, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 59
The fact that his last goal for us went in off his face says enough for me, was never the prettiest finisher but was always in the right place
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 29, 2015, 12:47pm; Reply: 60
Good luck Lenny!  thanks for the 100% effort you put in in every game.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 29, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 61
Those saying how he got slated all season are wrong imo. This season he's been generally well supported by all, in fact he's become something of a cult hero. He got stick before and I guess when you're missing chances regularly you should probably expect that's going to happen.

But this season, through hard work and vast improvement he's been one of our best players. He comes across as a decent bloke and I won't begrudge him of his move. That said I still believe we'll be fine without him and the step up could be a step too far for him imo.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 29, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 62
Gutted, really rated him for his all round play and hard work. After not finding a hairs on back of neck striker last close season, whats the chances of Hurst finding one this tiime?  :-/
Posted by: DocTower, May 29, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 63
First name that Hurst put on the team sheet , I was never a fan of Lenny , that's just bring honest.  Tried hard , missed numerous chances,  gave his all , but !     Good luck to him . He's  cost Newport nothing , if it fails they transfer him at the end of the season . A win win for them .

Mr Hurst  has to work to build a team , now that 2 of his main spine have gone .
Posted by: Strandty, May 29, 2015, 1:24pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from gtfc98

Do you though?  8)

Yes I do haha  :)
Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from DocTower
First name that Hurst put on the team sheet , I was never a fan of Lenny , that's just bring honest.  Tried hard , missed numerous chances,  gave his all , but !     Good luck to him . He's  cost Newport nothing , if it fails they transfer him at the end of the season . A win win for them .

Mr Hurst  has to work to build a team , now that 2 of his main spine have gone .

Which two?
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, May 29, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 66
Biggest surprise for me is that Newport signed Lenny and released Aaron O'Connor who I thought was technically a better player.  

Does anyone know if O'Connor had an injury? or does he maybe not fit in with Terry Butchers style of play?

If not, I'd be more than happy if we could get O'Connor coming in the other way :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 29, 2015, 2:05pm; Reply: 67
We will miss the shops stamina, work rate and his huge physical presence very useful at this level. He certainly made plenty of assists with is flick ons etc.

A awkward sod to mark he did an excellent job, just a pity his finishing and close control often let him down wiish him all the luck in the world. He often led the line on his own good luck Lenny.

Posted by: essexexile, May 29, 2015, 2:10pm; Reply: 68
Liked Lenny gave 100%+ every time and got us off to a cracking start at Wembley - pity we didn't get a second
For work rate hard to beat
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 29, 2015, 2:10pm; Reply: 69
Certainly one of the most frustrating strikers we've had in recent years.

At times he's almost unplayable, big, strong, holds the ball up well and scores great goals but on another occasions he can be totally ineffective and miss chances that your Gran could score. Split the views of fans at first, but does seem to have won over the majority this season with his goals and workrate, although he had at least as many decent chances to score as he did score this season.

We've always said that if he was a better finisher then he wouldn't be playing at our level, so now he's going to have a chance to prove that he can.

We've seen how JLAA, who was similarly derided in his early time here has gone on to have reasonable success after leaving.

The Shop leaves with my best wishes and I'll be following his progress with interest next season.
Posted by: DocTower, May 29, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from BIGChris

Which two?

Rumours , ifs buts maybes .
Has he , hasn't he .
If the two who command pages on the board regarding moves , them two .
If only one , will be pleased .
Posted by: oldun, May 29, 2015, 2:33pm; Reply: 71
I think we will miss Lenny, I certainly will. Still there now opportunities for 2 new strikers, crucial position, over to you PH. I am sure he has his targets.
Posted by: Tom13, May 29, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Laddy89

League two player and doesn't score that much... he was at town in league two... so hasn't exactly proved town fans wrong and gone on to go up the leagues... so I don't agree with your comment.

Won promotion to League 1 this year with Shrewsbury though?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 29, 2015, 2:45pm; Reply: 73
I doubt he'll read the Fishy, but good luck Lenny, wish you all the best.  I'm happy he hasn't signed for another club in our league anyway, he'll probally be on double money at Newport.

The thing now is, we now need another striker!  Quite excited to be honest!  :)
Posted by: Trawler, May 29, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

The thing now is, we now need another striker!  Quite excited to be honest!  :)

We need another three strikers.  I too am excited by this prospect.
Posted by: Badger57, May 29, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 75
Thanks Shop.  
Bloody frustrating but I think we all appreciated his workrate.  If only he could have stooped down and stuck his neck out to that cross that went right across the 6 yard box at the end instead of trying to kick it!!!!
Posted by: big al, May 29, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 76

I tend to agree, especially if he doesn't take their penalties. He's an on/off player as far as goals are concerned. Not reliable and consistent. 18 goals sounds a lot but there's a few penalties in there and they were not spread evenly over the season plus his finishing rate on easy chances must have cost the side points.

On the plus side, his workmate is second to none, his lay off play has improved a bit and with a sharp strike partner playing to his strengths he could be OK in L2. Whether he is worth a 2 year contract is another question though ......

The fact that he is prepared to do diy for others speaks volumes about the bloke. To put a full shift in down the park then be ready for some joinery is immense.
Posted by: Grimal, May 29, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 77
Best wishes for the future Lennie,you gave us some moments,both good and not so good.Hope you do well for Newport.
Posted by: gobby, May 29, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 78
Enjoyed watching LJL. His diving header at Alfreton will always be a fond memory for me as the whole away end shook!!! 8)
UTMM
Posted by: punk mariner, May 29, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 79
He'll be missed. Cult hero status was surely on the horizon. A decent goal return, matched with tireless work rate, a healthy number of assists and simply making his presence felt in the final third (and therefore creating space and chances for others) means he will be missed - but hopefully not irreplaceable. Good luck Lenny and thanks for everything. You're name really is a shop  
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, May 29, 2015, 3:51pm; Reply: 80
Good luck to Lenny.If his replacement shows anything like his effort and fitness we will have a good player to look forward to watching.Big boots to fill but PH has an answer I trust UTM
Posted by: Garth, May 29, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 81
Sorry to see him go but as others said, replaceable.
I will follow his career with interest
Posted by: fiveallive, May 29, 2015, 4:25pm; Reply: 82
A bit shocked he left he struggled at Bury, but terry Butcher plays the big boot so LJL might do well, i hope him the best but now we can try and bring a new look to the forward line wandering who's he's going to bring in up front.
Posted by: scoregasm, May 29, 2015, 7:55pm; Reply: 83
As far as I am concerned this is the best news to come out of B/P this close season. Yes he scored 20 goals but should of had double. In my eyes he is one of worst finishers I have seen up front in a black and white shirt while watching Grimsby for 50 years, I say up front as he will never be a striker.
Posted by: Maringer, May 29, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 84
Comical.
Posted by: MarinerWY, May 29, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 85
Thanks for all Lenny, you've put in 110% and were pivotal in our promotion challenge. You also showed yourself as very committed to the club and fans through things like the Christmas promotional video.
Posted by: LH, May 29, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 86
Of course the Fishy talent scouts are far better at spotting players than those who do it for a living for professional clubs.
Posted by: nightrider, May 29, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 87
Be interesting to see how he does. No one can argue that it took him a hell of a long time to find form. His strike rate was average at best.
Great athlete though and his work rate in the playoffs was one of the best ive seen in a Town shirt
Posted by: TAGG, May 29, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 88
Good luck to the bloke.
Always gave his all but Im not arsed about him going.
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 29, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 89
Have to say that the Shop leaving is a surprise. While the security of a two year deal (presumably we could have matched the length of the deal) and no doubt more money are attractive, they are not everything. I thought he would have stayed. He enjoyed cult status here and great camaraderie and would be part of team going full tilt for promotion, which I would have thought would have been enough to make him sign. These are things that are to be treasured and more attractive than South Wales, FFS, in my view.

His loss in my opinion.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 29, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 90
Looks like he got Christian Jolley's old job............. Good luck Lenny a loss to GTFC but conference defenders will be delighted as there is one less "bully" to deal with on a Saturday afternoon.
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 29, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 91
Cheers Lenny, gave it your all and I will miss seeing him play and that chant of course
Posted by: GrimRob, May 29, 2015, 8:59pm; Reply: 92
I really wouldn't be surpised if he comes back on loan because he suited us. Even then he scored 23 goals in 90 games for us and that's the best scoring rate he's had at any club. He's going to be playing against better defences next season as well.Expect him to be dropped and back here by Xmas!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from GrimRob
I really wouldn't be surpised if he comes back on loan because he suited us. Even then he scored 23 goals in 90 games for us and that's the best scoring rate he's had at any club. He's going to be playing against better defences next season as well.Expect him to be dropped and back here by Xmas!

I hope not, that would mean we have failed to find a good replacement,

I always thought Lenny worked his socks off,

BUT

There is better players out there.
Posted by: ackomariner, May 29, 2015, 9:17pm; Reply: 94
I won't be a hypocrite and say I will miss LJL because I won't , always thought he was terrible and we could do better.

As some on here have said, that the " haters" should hang their heads in shame..........balderdash

Wish him good look in his new venture, as I do to all the players that will be leaving the club
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 9:24pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from ackomariner
I won't be a hypocrite and say I will miss LJL because I won't , always thought he was terrible and we could do better.

As some on here have said, that the " haters" should hang their heads in shame..........balderdash

Wish him good look in his new venture, as I do to all the players that will be leaving the club

Again, in a minority but I agree, always needed 4 or 5 chances to put one in.
Having said that I'm pleased he isn't in our League.
Posted by: Codswede, May 29, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 96
I kinda miss him... :'(
Posted by: kingster72, May 29, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 97
It's a shame we've lost Lenny, but you can't fault him for a League return.  Without the shop, I would love to see PH offer a deal to Hannah, he gets goals, loves the club, the boss and fans, plus oozes this team ethic that the players have right now.  Hannah and Lenny never looked a good pairing, but now LJL has gone, surely we will struggle to get a better goal getter than Ross, give him a deal Paul and give him games, he'll take us up.  We don't want to see another Southwell situ, where he leaves and bags goals for fun!
Posted by: RalphFilthy, May 29, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 98
Lenny will be a big miss - it's ok bemoaning the points dropped at home, but how many points were won away from home through, in no small part, his tireless work ethic. It's a truism in football that defence starts with the strikers, and away from home that's even more so. Some of LJL's best qualities aligned to that philosophy.

It's now up to the manager to find a like for like replacement, or change the style a little to accommodate the next incumbent.

So long Lenell John-Lewis and thanks for all the fish goals and hard work :)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 29, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from kingster72
It's a shame we've lost Lenny, but you can't fault him for a League return.  Without the shop, I would love to see PH offer a deal to Hannah, he gets goals, loves the club, the boss and fans, plus oozes this team ethic that the players have right now.  Hannah and Lenny never looked a good pairing, but now LJL has gone, surely we will struggle to get a better goal getter than Ross, give him a deal Paul and give him games, he'll take us up.  We don't want to see another Southwell situ, where he leaves and bags goals for fun!

I don't know what this fascination with Hannah is. In what way is he better than Pittman, pace, strength, ability on the ball, beating the offside trap, aerial prowess, and even finishing. Last season, I think it was against Torquay he missed a couple of sitters, if Lenny had missed them there'd have been a riot, with Hannah, ooh, ok that was good. I don't get it.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 29, 2015, 11:10pm; Reply: 100
How many penalties did LJL score last season, I think it was 4? Take that away from his actual league goals for the season it comes to 12 goals from open play in 39 appearances.

Just updated his wiki page.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Riex4Ga.png[/img]
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2015, 12:22am; Reply: 101
To all you haters: shop has landed a 2 year contract with a league club.hes left us behind. That's the facts. Am glad his hard work has been rewarded.
A bit like Jean louis who so many thought was a crock of Shiite.think he's playing league 1 next year as opposed to Ross Hannah who IMHO will struggle to get a perm deal elsewhere, yet he's a better player? Hmmm time will tell
Posted by: LH, May 30, 2015, 12:41am; Reply: 102
Quoted from forza ivano
To all you haters: shop has landed a 2 year contract with a league club.hes left us behind. That's the facts. Am glad his hard work has been rewarded.
A bit like Jean louis who so many thought was a crock of Shiite.think he's playing league 1 next year as opposed to Ross Hannah who IMHO will struggle to get a perm deal elsewhere, yet he's a better player? Hmmm time will tell

My thoughts exactly. I can see a link between the two who were deemed shite ::)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2015, 12:49am; Reply: 103
Quoted from LH

My thoughts exactly. I can see a link between the two who were deemed shite ::)

V true lh.comare their commitment, fitness and ability level to that of cook or Duffy. Am sure that hurst has known for some while that shop might/will leave and that he will have half a dozen possibilities as replacements. Vas sell sounded a very interesting proposition so hoping bursts comments are a double bluff
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 12:58am; Reply: 104
As always, I'm bemused by the whole "penalties don't count as much" shtick.

Do you think that people note that Matt Le Tissier scored over 200 goals for Southampton, but as almost 50 were penalties, you can only count about 160 of them as 'real' goals? Utterly bizarre.

LJL wasn't the world's best striker (which is why he has played in the 5th tier for the last few years) and I tend to doubt he'll score all that many at Newport, but trying to downplay his creditable achievement of scoring 20 goals this season when nobody else in the squad scored more than half as many is pretty weird. Don't criticise LJL for scoring 20, criticise the others for not scoring more.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 30, 2015, 1:14am; Reply: 105
Quoted from forza ivano

Ross Hannah signing for BPA. Good mate who's a press officer there says so.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 30, 2015, 1:22am; Reply: 106
Quoted from Maringer

Do you think that people note that Matt Le Tissier scored over 200 goals for Southampton, but as almost 50 were penalties, you can only count about 160 of them as 'real' goals? Utterly bizarre.

LJL wasn't the world's best striker (which is why he has played in the 5th tier for the last few years) and I tend to doubt he'll score all that many at Newport, but trying to downplay his creditable achievement of scoring 20 goals this season when nobody else in the squad scored more than half as many is pretty weird. Don't criticise LJL for scoring 20, criticise the others for not scoring more.
Depends how you interpret what has been written in front of you, when someone just writes something as a statement with no positive or negative opinion. (artist)
A ratio of 1:3 in open play is pretty good, LJL wasn't an out and out striker.  Can we find someone just as good, maybe better? I'm hopeful, I just hope we can score more goals than we did last season.

Pity we didn't have Palmer alongside him from the start of the season, along with Pittman chipping in with the goals.  I can't wait to find out what new strikers are coming in.

Ponder the thought, who will be the new penalty taker this year?  Hannah loved taking them too! (ohmy)
Posted by: LH, May 30, 2015, 1:36am; Reply: 107
Hope Clay takes them after his at Wembley.
Posted by: ackomariner, May 30, 2015, 5:04am; Reply: 108
Quoted from Maringer

Also depends on how many mins he had on the pitch compared to others
Posted by: Rick12, May 30, 2015, 7:06am; Reply: 109
My views on Lenny.Was a decent target man and could hold the ball up well from what I  saw on BT sport. Saying that though when I saw him live(albeit not much) didn't catch my eye. Sad to see him go as would have liked him to stay but feel we can get a replacement that does just a good a job as Lenny did. In Hurst we trust
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 8:06am; Reply: 110
Quoted from ackomariner

Also depends on how many mins he had on the pitch compared to others

Well, I'm not statto enough to look into that, but LJL scored 18 goals in the Conference from 39 starts which is a ratio of 0.46 goals per start. Assuming 4-4-2 (which I realise isn't exactly accurate), this means that other strikers potentially had 59 starts between them (Pittman, Hannah, Palmer and Oates), scoring 24 goals at a ratio of 0.40 goals per start. Even if you consider that there were a few games where we didn't start with two up front, it is clear that our other strikers weren't scoring enough goals. With a target man leading the line and doing much of the running, you really expect that the strike partners will score a few more using the space created - it is very rare to see the bloke doing most of the work scoring most of the goals. This is why Akinde has been such a standout this season as he's led the line and scored 30 Conference goals as well (assuming you count the 11 penalties in his tally!).

It wouldn't surprise me to see a replacement who was a better targetman than LJL (specifically, better at linking up play as well as doing the hard work) or was a better finisher than LJL, but I tend to think we might struggle to find somebody who is better than him in both aspects of the game.

Hopefully, Hurst will prove me wrong!  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2015, 11:01am; Reply: 111
LJL scored a goal every 190 minutes this season. Palmer was every 172 mins. Pittman and Hannah were both 195. That's including pens.Without LJL would be in last place.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8502673

Bet you would have got long odds on LJL being the only GTFC player to move up a division at the start of the season (if that's how it transpires)
Posted by: Meza, May 30, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 112
Im eager to see what other strikers we are after.  With only JPP signed up as our striker and the majority of other positions re-signed....signing a striker that will get us the goals is top priority imho.  The majority of the squad has resigned bar Toto and Magnay so i hope we can get someone who is a proven goal scorer and they ain't cheap, or an up and coming lower league gem.

Lets sit back and see it unravel
Posted by: wigworld, May 30, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 113
Quoted from GrimRob

Bet you would have got long odds on LJL being the only GTFC player to move up a division at the start of the season (if that's how it transpires)

Lots of us thought they would all be moving up a division. With us!  :(

Posted by: Belfast Town, May 30, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Meza
Im eager to see what other strikers we are after.  With only JPP signed up as our striker and the majority of other positions re-signed....signing a striker that will get us the goals is top priority imho.  The majority of the squad has resigned bar Toto and Magnay so i hope we can get someone who is a proven goal scorer and they ain't cheap, or an up and coming lower league gem.

Lets sit back and see it unravel

Ricky Miller, anyone?
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 115
Tried hard, put a shift in and did score a good share of the goals, however also missed plenty of sitters throughout and became an easy outlet for players to revert to lumping it forward.
Hope we can find someone with real pace to get behind the opposition now.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 30, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Belfast Town

Ricky Miller, anyone?

I've tblught he may be a target.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 30, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 117
I read a stat that either LJL or GTFC in general were the most profligate in front of goal this season. Is that the case?
Posted by: sutton mariner, May 30, 2015, 2:38pm; Reply: 118
You're just a excrement Marks and Spencer's.
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I read a stat that either LJL or GTFC in general were the most profligate in front of goal this season. Is that the case?

There was some sort of stat out around January time which noted LJL had had more shots off target than any other player in the division. No reference as to who was second in the list, though. I think the stats also noted we'd had more shots than anybody else at that point, possibly won more corners as well?
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 30, 2015, 3:10pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Maringer

There was some sort of stat out around January time which noted LJL had had more shots off target than any other player in the division. No reference as to who was second in the list, though. I think the stats also noted we'd had more shots than anybody else at that point, possibly won more corners as well?

Are you suggesting we should find out who this is and sign them up!?
Posted by: gytone, May 30, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 121
Most of Lenny's shots finished up in the corners   ;)
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 3:17pm; Reply: 122
No, I'm just pointing out that he might have had just one or two more shots off target than the next least accurate striker. One figure without context doesn't tell you anything much of note.

LJL did miss some sitters (though not too many this season), but I always remember that he took on loads of longer-range shots on his left foot that he should never have attempted. Might have scored from one of these once or perhaps twice during his time at the club but would probably have been better off keeping possession and passing it instead.

Anyway let's stop talking about our ex-player and hope some new strikers for us to moan about arrive before too long!
Posted by: mariner2000, May 30, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 123
Comparing Lenny and Hannah is a bit of a joke really, Hannah is on his way down, Lenny is on his way up, potentially as a result Hannah may be more successful in the next few seasons...

No one can deny that opposition after opposition said they found Lenny to be a handful.

I think the really interesting thing here is that PH has built his team around Lenny and his style of play has been dictated by the way Lenny plays.  It will be very interesting if PH can find a direct replacement, if he can't PB may be forced to change his style of play, whether he wants to or not....could this be the thing that finally moves us into the automatic promotion place?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 30, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from mariner2000
Comparing Lenny and Hannah is a bit of a joke really, Hannah is on his way down, Lenny is on his way up, potentially as a result Hannah may be more successful in the next few seasons...

No one can deny that opposition after opposition said they found Lenny to be a handful.

I think the really interesting thing here is that PH has built his team around Lenny and his style of play has been dictated by the way Lenny plays.  It will be very interesting if PH can find a direct replacement, if he can't PB may be forced to change his style of play, whether he wants to or not....could this be the thing that finally moves us into the automatic promotion place?

Could potentially move us in the wrong direction if he doesn't get it right. Let's hope we get back to being the top scorers in Europe as we were for a time when Hearn was here. Didn't have the defence to match then though. Going to be an interesting few months.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 30, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Belfast Town

Ricky Miller, anyone?

Isn't he in a spot of bother with the police?
Posted by: DocTower, May 30, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

Could potentially move us in the wrong direction if he doesn't get it right. Let's hope we get back to being the top scorers in Europe as we were for a time when Hearn was here. Didn't have the defence to match then though. Going to be an interesting few months.

We're still going to be solid at the back  , midfield  , a year older , think new legs required .  I don't think our manager will change  his style and go for a target man  in the same mould as before.  As you say going to be interesting to see what happens . We are going to have to be ruthless.
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 30, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Belfast Town

Ricky Miller, anyone?

No thanks, think we can do better.
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 30, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Mariners_15

No thanks, think we can do better.

Police investigation aside, I think he is available and was rumoured to be of interest to PH when he was playing for Boston. Not advocating him though, as he sounds like he might disrupt the team's togetherness.
Posted by: chaos33, May 30, 2015, 4:48pm; Reply: 129
I too thought we might look at him now he's released by Luton, but I get the impression (don't know why) that Hurst just doesn't fancy him enough. We'll see.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 30, 2015, 11:08pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Maringer

Well, I'm not statto enough to look into that, but LJL scored 18 goals in the Conference from 39 starts which is a ratio of 0.46 goals per start. Assuming 4-4-2 (which I realise isn't exactly accurate), this means that other strikers potentially had 59 starts between them (Pittman, Hannah, Palmer and Oates), scoring 24 goals at a ratio of 0.40 goals per start. Even if you consider that there were a few games where we didn't start with two up front, it is clear that our other strikers weren't scoring enough goals. With a target man leading the line and doing much of the running, you really expect that the strike partners will score a few more using the space created - it is very rare to see the bloke doing most of the work scoring most of the goals. This is why Akinde has been such a standout this season as he's led the line and scored 30 Conference goals as well (assuming you count the 11 penalties in his tally!).

It wouldn't surprise me to see a replacement who was a better targetman than LJL (specifically, better at linking up play as well as doing the hard work) or was a better finisher than LJL, but I tend to think we might struggle to find somebody who is better than him in both aspects of the game.

Hopefully, Hurst will prove me wrong!  ;)

I haven't checked but I am sure you must be wrong about Akinde because according to some on here anyone who scores that amount of goals can't be playing in the conference.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:30am