Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: austinmitchell, May 27, 2015, 9:08pm
Matt Dean ‏@mattdeanradio  2m2 minutes ago
#gtfc fans should brace themselves for disappointment. Credible source told me a player (not Carl Magnay) has bid his farewells today.
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 27, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 1
No big Surprise .....
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 2
Positivity, togetherness and optimism just walked out the door with him.  :-/
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 3
Can only assume its a big player. LJL or pearson? If so, thats a blow! intercourse sake, not news we wanted
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 4
We don't even know who it is yet. Who ever has gone the big thing is who we replace them with.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 5
Poss Nathan Arnold as well.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 27, 2015, 9:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
I'm sure I read around the time he came on loan, that his wages were being subsidised by Cambridge, so he would have to take a fair decent cut to sign for us.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 27, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 7
I say intercourse them if they don't want to stay with us, all about money ect now sod them if they say the team spirit was the best they have ever had then they intercourse off.

Yes am peed off with the last hour.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 27, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I'm sure I read around the time he came on loan, that his wages were being subsidised by Cambridge, so he would have to take a fair decent cut to sign for us.

I heard his wage went up to £2k per week with promotion at Cambridge and we were paying half.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 27, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 9
I think a couple of leavers is ok but starting to worry that PH will have to rebuild more or less from scratch.  At the moment we have a squad of around 6.  If we don't retain a core of players, we won't be going up next season.  Starting to deflate...
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, May 27, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 10
Team spirit versus saving a few quid.Deja vu for Town fans.UTM
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 11
It doesn't take much to make the doom mongers appear.
Posted by: Caesar, May 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 12
Will try to remain patient and see what happens but it does feel like we would have heard more news from players if a lot of them were staying, guess they are big decisions for them but was hoping by now we would have 3 or 4 stayers not just the 2.  

Just hope this doesn't wreck the positivity we have been feeling too much.  
Posted by: Sigone, May 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 13
Don't get down...players, managers, chairmen,directors even Grounds come and go.  The only true constant is us(fans)..and constant we must remain (100)
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 14
Although we all hoped the players would all sign new deals I think most of us probably thought a few would move on. The ones most likely to move, IMHO, were always going to be Pearson Magnay and probably Toto.

It's what we replace them with!
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 27, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 15
I was speaking to Macca today and he was visibly fed up about something ... now I know why
Posted by: Poojah, May 27, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
I say intercourse them if they don't want to stay with us, all about money ect now sod them if they say the team spirit was the best they have ever had then they intercourse off.

Players have to be loyal to themselves and their family first. If they're offered league football, more money and greater security in the form of a contract worth two or more years then how can you blame them?

Players at this level make an modest living, no more.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), May 27, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 17
No player or players is bigger than club.

I will be sad whoever it is, but we move on in the knowledge that we are the biggest club in the Conference and that the better players will be clambering after places in our squad.

Trust in Hurst
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 18
It could have been a million and one things Fleabag1970.
Posted by: ackomariner, May 27, 2015, 9:35pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from fleabag1970
I was speaking to Macca today and he was visibly fed up about something ... now I know why

Most probably not getting promotion ........must still be hurting because I am
Posted by: RichMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 20
We plucked Magnay out of nowhere. Not one of us insisted that Hurst should go out and get Palmer on loan.

Even those who aren't fans of Hurst must recognise that he can pluck a decent player out from nowhere. So if he's done it before, he can do it again.

True, doing it from scratch makes it more difficult, but every other club in the Conference is practically in the same position.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I think a couple of leavers is ok but starting to worry that PH will have to rebuild more or less from scratch.  At the moment we have a squad of around 6.  If we don't retain a core of players, we won't be going up next season.  Starting to deflate...

At the moment we have a squad of about 6? Do we? I thought we had 3.
Posted by: Corkyefes, May 27, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 22
From what I've been told (from a very good source), this will be a very disappointing week /fortnight for Town fans, as three important players are set to be leaving.

Put it this way, it's enough to stop me renewing my season ticket next year!

Very disappointed with the club!
Posted by: GrimRob, May 27, 2015, 9:43pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Very negative! I am sure PH has the ability to find other players just as good. There's no magic formula about the guys we had, yes it would be nice to keep them all but I am not jumping off tall buidings if we don't. . It's a fact of life at this level that players move around a lot. Most players play for around 10-15 clubs in their careers including loan spells.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 27, 2015, 9:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33

McKeown, JPP, Disley, Venney, Sunter and Bastock.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 25
3 proper pros i think is what chaos means
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 27, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33

Macca, Disley, JPP and 3 yoofs = 6!
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:48pm; Reply: 27
Venney, Sunter and Bastock are not realistically part of a first team squad are they. Not a matchday 16 anyway.
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:48pm; Reply: 28
Whoever allegedly has left the club I am sure Hurst will have known before anybody and will already be looking for a replacement. There is no player Pearson, Toto, The Shop who can't be replaced it is all about keeping the team spirit together and Hurst seems to have comes to grips with that.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 27, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 29
Ollie Palmer?
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 27, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33

I have it on reasonably good authority that Arnold will sign on for us tomorrow.
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 31
Ollie Palmer isn't a Grimsby Town player. Guess again.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 27, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Corkyefes
From what I've been told (from a very good source), this will be a very disappointing week /fortnight for Town fans, as three important players are set to be leaving.

In reality did you expect anything different after we did not get promoted?

Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin

I have it on reasonably good authority that Arnold will sign on for us tomorrow.

I'd like to believe you mate
Posted by: GrimRob, May 27, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 34
How may players have committed themselves to a club for the season? Nearly everyone at this level is on 1 year deals. There are 24 clubs with about 20 players each. That's over 400 players who need to find somewhere to play, not to mention the divisions above and below where we can sign people from.There's no need to panic!
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 35
I understand players come and go etc but whats more annoying is when your best players go for sweet fa.
Posted by: Laddy89, May 27, 2015, 9:53pm; Reply: 36
Im as drunk off and worried as anyone right now,  but until it happens we cant all start moaning and bitching that we aren't renewing out season tickets, when at this time 24hours ago everyone was happiest gtfc fans in history.

Southampton fans last season would have been in exactly the same position to us,  all best players leaving, favourites to go down. But they replaced those players, Lallana, Shaw, Lambert, Chambers etc etc and look at them this season.

Yes it will be a shame if the better players leave GTFC, but this might just be a good thing. Lets wait and see....yeh?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 27, 2015, 9:53pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
All the Town fans should get their hair cut by him, 1000+ extra clients, he would be raking it in.  The club should open up a Barbers lol. :)

Posted by: GrimRob, May 27, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Meza
I understand players come and go etc but whats more annoying is when your best players go for sweet fa.

It works both ways, we can poach everyone else's best players. And we pay better wages than most other clubs.
Posted by: lee65, May 27, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 39
I know it's difficult, but we need to be patient, I'm not even sure it would be the best thing if all those offered deals did sign. After all, yes they wore the shirt with pride, looked together, bonded with the fans occasionally, but the fact is that over 120 mins at Wembley, though the better team and with the opposition dead on their feet, we didn't manage more than a couple of efforts on goal, and pretty feeble ones at that.
Posted by: ska face, May 27, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from fleabag1970
I was speaking to Macca today and he was visibly fed up about something ...

Probably having to talk to you...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from austinmitchell
Matt Dean ‏@mattdeanradio  2m2 minutes ago
#gtfc fans should brace themselves for disappointment. Credible source told me a player (not Carl Magnay) has bid his farewells today.

Matt Dean ...........LOL Thanks for that mate I wonder if you are posting the same about players leaving the "Targers" after their relegation? I would think not as it would mean you and your colleagues would no longer get air time kissing Steve Bruce's proverbial.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GrimRob
How may players have committed themselves to a club for the season? Nearly everyone at this level is on 1 year deals. There are 24 clubs with about 20 players each. That's over 400 players who need to find somewhere to play, not to mention the divisions above and below where we can sign people from.There's no need to panic!

All well and good if they gel quickly but history suggests that takes time and playing catch up.

We're in a sh1tty ever decreasing circle it seems. Every year it's going to get more difficult and it's just as likely we tail off next season as it is that we go one step closer. Not doom-mongering, just the facts of Conference life. We really needed to go up last season.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 43
I'm not surprised. I'm guessing LJL, Pearson, Magnay and Toto are off. I expected them to leave. Disappointed but I think Hurst can find someone else who is maybe as good.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 44
Lol Ska

I'm just wondering what 'pretty good authority' is ??
Posted by: highcliff mariner, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from lee65
I know it's difficult, but we need to be patient, I'm not even sure it would be the best thing if all those offered deals did sign. After all, yes they wore the shirt with pride, looked together, bonded with the fans occasionally, but the fact is that over 120 mins at Wembley, though the better team and with the opposition dead on their feet, we didn't manage more than a couple of efforts on goal, and pretty feeble ones at that.

It's a fair point 👍
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 46
Tbh matt dean could be wrong! The more i think about magnay had to say, the more i become disgruntled with the player airing things than any offers the club has made. And as said on another thread, if these players want to play in the FL then you cannot argue with that, but makes you wonder if all the fan-player bonding meant that much to the players as it did us fans
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 27, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
All the Town fans should get their hair cut by him, 1000+ extra clients, he would be raking it in.  The club should open up a Barbers lol. :)

He could do with some fringe benefits.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Corkyefes

So 3 players who are out of contract choose to move on to better themselves whether it be professionally, financially or for family reasons and you decide you won't support the club to the level you did previously?

I don't know for sure who you are referring too BUT I would guess at least 2 of those 3 weren't a major part of your decision to buy a season ticket last summer.
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 27, 2015, 10:08pm; Reply: 49
All our players are replacable, none are world beaters so dont panic. shame to lose defenders though.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from BIGChris

So 3 players who are out of contract choose to move on to better themselves whether it be professionally, financially or for family reasons and you decide you won't support the club to the level you did previously?

I don't know for sure who you are referring too BUT I would guess at least 2 of those 3 weren't a major part of your decision to buy a season ticket last summer.

It's just the message it sends out. Let's get the fans onside with a great second half to the season, a trip to Wembley then kick them in the nuts by failing to keep the squad that 'would have won the league had we had them all season'

Cheers John, hope you're ready for a fall in season ticket sales.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 27, 2015, 10:11pm; Reply: 51
I think it's just frustration bigchris, we all want the players to sign and we all want what's best for gtfc. I can see both points of views to be honest.  
Posted by: Corkyefes, May 27, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from BIGChris

Chris, we are all entitled to our opinion and I take yours on board.

However, I purchased my season ticket last year based upon me feeling that we had a real chance of promotion with the teams that were in the league (I never felt that Barnet where that fantastic and fully expected it to be between us and Bristol for the title).

And for what it is worth, the players were already signed before I renewed my season ticket.

I feel that next year, we would have a massive chance of going up, if we kept the nucleus of our team.
however what I have heard with regards to contract offers (length, wages etc), which I won't go in detail of, and the fact that three of our important players are set to leave, then I will really consider renewing my season ticket.

Do I blame Hurst, no.
Do I blame the players, no.
Do I blame the board... To some extent yes.

I understand that it is very early, however with the players that I've been told, set to leave, I find it hard to predict even a play off finish, due to the amount of replacements hurst will have to find and the time it takes for a team to gel.

We had an experienced team, full of morale, going into next season, however with it potentially being ripped apart, in my opinion, it will kill the momentum of this club for at least a couple of seasons.

I just feel deflated tonight.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 53
Pearson to Barnsley is the Twitter rumour.
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 54
Surely what is best for any football team is that they keep the players who want to play for the club. There aren't many players through the whole of the football pyramid who have only played for one club throughout their careers. When you get down to our level money to take care of your family, the opportunity to play in the football league and to play closer to your home becomes a priority. So just let the players make their decisions. It was only 2 weeks ago we were proud of them for their performance at Wembley.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 55
You hear THREE players MAY leave and without knowing who may replace them we are going to struggle to make the play offs due to the amount of replacements needed??
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 27, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Les Brechin

That would be unexpected in my eyes and a real bonus, maybe ease the pain of Pearson going. Hope LJL, Gowling and Toto sign sharpish as well.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 57
I really believe that the fans deserve to know what the budget is comparative to recent years. Let's face facts here, the fans are being asked to prop up a decade of failure. Nothing less than a return to the football league should be John Fentys legacy, new stadium or otherwise.
Posted by: Corkyefes, May 27, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from BIGChris
You hear THREE players MAY leave and without knowing who may replace them we are going to struggle to make the play offs due to the amount of replacements needed??

Chris, just reporting from my source.
He's generally spot on and I have never said things before on him.

And no, it's not the fact we are just losing three. It's the fact it could be the nucleus of our team.

Losing three key plays WILL require the team to gel again.

Pearson looks like he's gone so i guess that's one down and two to go?
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 27, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 59
Personally I wouldn't be too fused about any player leaving as long as it isn't to another conference side. The badge on the front is way bigger than the name on the back and every player is replaceable etc
Posted by: GrimRob, May 27, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 60
Surely if we offer 12 players new deals, 3 leave and we keep 9 we'll have kept the nucleus of the team, which everyone agrees we should do? Nucleus doesn't mean all 12.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 10:34pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from GrimRob
Surely if we offer 12 players new deals, 3 leave and we keep 9 we'll have kept the nucleus of the team, which everyone agrees we should do? Nucleus doesn't mean all 12.

So you'd rather keep Pittman than Pearson, Mackreth than Magnay? Get real!
Posted by: Maringer, May 27, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 62
That's the tricky thing about football - your best players tend to be wanted by other clubs.

If they can earn more by moving on, we can't really complain too much. Thing to do is make sure (or at very least) hope that we can find some good replacements for any departees.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 63
Look there are plenty of other players out there. If everyone but Pearson, Magnay and another signs then Hurst will only have to sign 6 or 7 players. A centre half, a right back, a central midfielder, a winger and 2 strikers. Plus the position of the other player who is leaving.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 27, 2015, 10:39pm; Reply: 64
Really like Pearson for us at this level but if he moves to Barnsley I think jumping 2 levels would be to much for him,good luck if he goes though a decent kid
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 10:40pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Look there are plenty of other players out there. If everyone but Pearson, Magnay and another signs then Hurst will only have to sign 6 or 7 players. A centre half, a right back, a central midfielder, a winger and 2 strikers. Plus the position of the other player who is leaving.

So a settled squad counts for nothing.. Hope you're ready for another slow start as we yet again take a while to gel and wait for a benefactor to prop up the budget. I've never been Paul Hursts biggest fan but I feel for him tonight.
Posted by: nightrider, May 27, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 66
A lot of our players are well over rated imo
I cant think of one player which isn't replaceable. One of our best players, the captain, has already signed.
I'd be surprised if LJL moved on. He's just starting to get recognition for his work, mainly due to a decent return of goals. Its taken him a long time to get to this stage and a lot of patience from PH, i'll be amazed if a higher club comes in and decides to give him better money.

The way people go on about it on here, you'd have thought we'd just romped the title with a Barca-esque team.
Ultimately we weren't good enough last season so we need improvements
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 10:46pm; Reply: 67
We can also hope, if he signs, Toto will be less careless next season and whoever is next to him, maybe Gowling we could still be extremely solid at the back. As good as Magnay is or was now, full back is not the most important position on the pitch but unfortunately Shaun's position is one of the most pivotal.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 27, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 68
Sevilla have just won the Europa cup again despite losing half their side last summer, and the summer before that as well.so it happens throughout the football world and doesn't mean next season is not going to be successful.southampton is another example
Posted by: davmariner, May 27, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 69
To be fair to GTFC, if Pearson gets offered a great contract by a team two leagues above us, then there's not much the club can do to match that. Stick with it.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 27, 2015, 11:16pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from forza ivano
Sevilla have just won the Europa cup again despite losing half their side last summer, and the summer before that as well.so it happens throughout the football world and doesn't mean next season is not going to be successful.southampton is another example

Hope that's not their equivalent of the FA (tinpot) trophy 😉
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 27, 2015, 11:17pm; Reply: 71
I would agree that this group of players have been proud to wear the town shirt and for the first time in many seasons our players commitment to the club has not been a subject for debate.

We are always to see the better players go but lets be honest if, like Pearson, you have given your all for four seasons, failing at the final hurdles in the last three and are then offered the chance to play two leagues higher and probably treble your wages would you not want to leave.

In all honesty we can expect Magnay to join him the league, if not, you have to ask what club scouts are doing when they come to watch town. Equally, any striker that gets 20 goals will also be in demand but a few months ago myself, and many other town fans would have been happy to see LJL move on.

Last season we brought in Magnay and Toto and lost Aswad early on but still had one of the best defences in the league and this is PH's strength so no fear here. Also do we think PH is going to be shocked by this development? He will probably have been aware of other clubs interest in our players for months and I would expect planned accordingly in the knowledge that promotion would have meant plan A and failure plan B.

Lee1975 also makes a very valid point about the final in that in reality we did not create much in way of chances in two hours of football despite giving our all throughout. The unknown is Ginnywing's point re time to gel but how many conference teams will not have at least five or six new players in their team.

Priority for PH is to ensure that our historic poor starts to the season is a thing of the past and by end of October we are well up there not nine points adrift.

Truth is until the season gets underway all we can do is speculate pessimists with gloom optimists with hope. Not sure why but for some reason this year I am in the latter's camp.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 27, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 72
These so called star players managed 25 less home points than Barnet and Rovers which ultimately cost us the title . There's no reason that if we can start on a roll that we finished the replacements will be more than adequate to win a weaker looking division this coming season .
Gowling looks a more than adequate replacement for Pearson and tbh I've always had doubts about Toto anyway . Always got a mistake in him as shown in playoff semi final away leg and in the final with that wild slice to concede the corner they scored off .
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 28, 2015, 12:05am; Reply: 73
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
These so called star players managed 25 less home points than Barnet and Rovers which ultimately cost us the title . There's no reason that if we can start on a roll that we finished the replacements will be more than adequate to win a weaker looking division this coming season .
Gowling looks a more than adequate replacement for Pearson and tbh I've always had doubts about Toto anyway . Always got a mistake in him as shown in playoff semi final away leg and in the final with that wild slice to concede the corner they scored off .

I would be a bit concerned if our centre back pairing was Toto and Gowling, both like to play the ball, Toto a bit too much for me.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 28, 2015, 12:12am; Reply: 74
I honestly wouldn't be bothered if he went . He's the most easily replaceable one out of the 3
Posted by: gaz57, May 28, 2015, 12:57am; Reply: 75
I think we all agree that the club, players and fans we're all pulling together with new found optimism. There's not a lot we can do to change things but we can keep our optimism and positivity for the players that stay and the new ones that come.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 28, 2015, 6:31am; Reply: 76
Good luck Shaun Pearson.

No one can begrudge him league football after he has given his all for gtfc.

Posted by: lukeo, May 28, 2015, 8:43am; Reply: 77
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

Are you like 12?

if you worked for a company in an average town for an average wage would you stay when a club is offering you a bigger wage and a 'nicer' place to live? get a grip.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 28, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 78
Who were our "key" players this time last year? McKeown,Hatton,Thomas,Pearson,Disley,Rodman,Neilson? How many ended the season with us? Of those that left how many have taken the world by storm?
Posted by: Strandty, May 28, 2015, 10:42am; Reply: 79
I know LJLs agent, trying to find out his situation but definitely seems to be Pearson going. Surely we have to accept if a league one club comes for one of our lads he will go.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 28, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 80
Lenny is going. Gutted
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 28, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 81
Not gutted he was generally crap since Christmas . Think we can do better .
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 82
This thread to be renamed. Player stays, Shock Horror! I honestly thought everyone but Pearson would sign up. Now I'm pretty confident everyone but Pittman, Diz, MacKreth, Brown and Clay will sign up. Looking forward to mid-table mediocrity next year. Looks like another 2 years at least in this pointless league. I wish re-election had stayed.
Posted by: chaos33, May 28, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 83
?
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 28, 2015, 11:26am; Reply: 84
No I would stay with town.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 28, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 85
Quoted from SamTheMariner
This thread to be renamed. Player stays, Shock Horror! I honestly thought everyone but Pearson would sign up. Now I'm pretty confident everyone but Pittman, Diz, MacKreth, Brown and Clay will sign up. Looking forward to mid-table mediocrity next year. Looks like another 2 years at least in this pointless league. I wish re-election had stayed.

I'm getting confused now(blink2)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 28, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 86
Football is a professional game and players have to try and do what they think is best for them at the time. That might be money based or it might be family based or it might be ambition based. But we can't blame players for doing what the rest of us do and looking out for their futures. Few clubs can offer long contracts so a player must do what he can for security.

Unfortunately good atmosphere and team spirit do not pay the bills. That's reality.

In the case of Pearson for instance, he is 26 and if he doesn't move now he may feel he is stuck forever and will never know how good he could be. On the other hand he could decide again to try and move up the leagues with Grimsby. It's up to him. The fact is though that he is still a good average Conference defender and he is replaceable. The same applies to LJL. Clubs will be looking at him and he will have to decide whether to be a bench warmer in L2 or be first on the team sheet for Hurst. Another willing runner with a mediocre scoring record can always be found.

We as fans have no rights in the matter so it is down to the management and not us to build a side for the new season and rebuild the team spirit. Like it or not, last season is gone and finished. There were no stars in the side and, with the possible exception of Magnay, nobody who we could say cannot be replaced by someone of more ability and a good attitude. Hurst's teams will always be built on organisation and being hard to beat and he will be looking for players on that basis.

It's not in tune with the desires of all of us to see the spirit of Wembley continue into August but that's life. We move on. The bottom line is that the side did not get promotion and was therefore not good enough. Hurst's job is to make a new one that is, with or without players who were part of the side that wasn't.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that we should stop worrying about players leaving and think more about who is coming in.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 87
Sorry I meant will not sign up
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 28, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 88
Quoted from lukeo

Are you like 12?

if you worked for a company in an average town for an average wage would you stay when a club is offering you a bigger wage and a 'nicer' place to live? get a grip.

Agree with this , but not sure that Barnsley is a nicer place to live than Gy/Clee.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 89
Quoted from Barrattstander

Agree with this , but not sure that Barnsley is a nicer place to live than Gy/Clee.

There's some great places to live within 20 mile of Barnsley - if that's where he's going. I've heard he's going somewhere else!
Posted by: GTFCNiles, May 28, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 90
3.5k a week if people can't accept that this is a massive payrise for shaun and his family then they need to get a grip. Best of luck to the lad, the world will go on. He should have been on a longer term deal in the first place.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 91
Quoted from GTFCNiles
3.5k a week if people can't accept that this is a massive payrise for shaun and his family then they need to get a grip. Best of luck to the lad, the world will go on. He should have been on a longer term deal in the first place.

Absolutely. Sad to say but there was a time when we were paying players that sort of money.
Posted by: Garth, May 28, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 92
Football is a professional game and players have to try and do what they think is best for them at the time. That might be money based or it might be family based or it might be ambition based. But we can't blame players for doing what the rest of us do and looking out for their futures. Few clubs can offer long contracts so a player must do what he can for security.

Unfortunately good atmosphere and team spirit do not pay the bills. That's reality.

In the case of Pearson for instance, he is 26 and if he doesn't move now he may feel he is stuck forever and will never know how good he could be. On the other hand he could decide again to try and move up the leagues with Grimsby. It's up to him. The fact is though that he is still a good average Conference defender and he is replaceable. The same applies to LJL. Clubs will be looking at him and he will have to decide whether to be a bench warmer in L2 or be first on the team sheet for Hurst. Another willing runner with a mediocre scoring record can always be found.

We as fans have no rights in the matter so it is down to the management and not us to build a side for the new season and rebuild the team spirit. Like it or not, last season is gone and finished. There were no stars in the side and, with the possible exception of Magnay, nobody who we could say cannot be replaced by someone of more ability and a good attitude. Hurst's teams will always be built on organisation and being hard to beat and he will be looking for players on that basis.

It's not in tune with the desires of all of us to see the spirit of Wembley continue into August but that's life. We move on. The bottom line is that the side did not get promotion and was therefore not good enough. Hurst's job is to make a new one that is, with or without players who were part of the side that wasn't.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that we should stop worrying about players leaving and think more about who is coming in.

Good post fully agree, fact is I would like to see all the players that were offered a contract resign but any that don't good luck to them in their new clubs.
Truth is as much as they tried and as near as we got we failed at the final hurdle and that leaves us no better than those below us.
We go again this year with new additions that may improve our expectations.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 28, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 93
Some stupid rumours flying around.

Funniest I've seen on FB so far is the shop is off to Wigan  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, May 28, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Some stupid rumours flying around.

Funniest I've seen on FB so far is the shop is off to Wigan  ;D

The department store maybe... ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 28, 2015, 12:13pm; Reply: 95
I've seen LJL on twitter is off to Wigan as well - that's just not credible. Also seen Wimbledon are interested which could be more likely
Posted by: chaos33, May 28, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 96
Sorry, can I just try to catch up.....

Where did 3.5k a week come from?!

Lennie is leaving?

Where does this stuff come from?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 97
It just proves that 99% of stuff talked on the Fishy is utter garbage because we are all bored at there being no news or football.
Posted by: wycombemariner, May 28, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Not gutted he was generally crap since Christmas . Think we can do better .

Cos theres loads of 20 goal a season strikers we can sign up.  Oh hang on a minute....
Posted by: wycombemariner, May 28, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 99
Pearson Mags and Shop were all first names on teamsheets, the spine of the team along with Toto and Dizza.  

We arent just losing players, we're losing the spine of the team.  And thats the problem!
Posted by: Hagrid, May 28, 2015, 12:26pm; Reply: 100
love preseason ;D
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 101
Me too. Can't get enough of the stuff dreamt up on this forum.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 28, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 102
Where's ffs?  ??)
Posted by: psgmariner, May 28, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from bobbyturtle
Where's ffs?  ??)

On his way to Barnsley or Wigan I heard.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 28, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from psgmariner

On his way to Barnsley or Wigan I heard.

Excellent!
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 28, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from moosey_club

The department store maybe... ;)

May be they are opening one up on the pier.

Posted by: pizzzza, May 28, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from wycombemariner
Pearson Mags and Shop were all first names on teamsheets,

On the teamsheets that I have seen it is generally the goalkeeper that is the first name.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 28, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from pizzzza

On the teamsheets that I have seen it is generally the goalkeeper that is the first name.

McKeown used to insist on having squad number 13 so he hasn't always been!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 28, 2015, 2:08pm; Reply: 108
Can't be arsed to read 11 pages of rumours and tittle tattle, has anyone actually left yet?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 109
No
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 28, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Can't be arsed to read 11 pages of rumours and tittle tattle, has anyone actually left yet?

No

Posted by: jimgtfc, May 28, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

No...
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 28, 2015, 2:25pm; Reply: 112
Can I have a go?

NO!   ;D
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 28, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 113
Thought not.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 28, 2015, 4:00pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Can I have a go?

NO!   ;D

Err no.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 28, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 115
so let's get this straight:

magnay and pearson have joined several football league clubs, gowling has gone home /to chester/ to grimsby, mckreth has rejoined tranmere, the shop is job sharing at wigan and wimbledon, whilst arnold is returning to the football league, and bradley wood is going to lincoln when he should be coming here.in fact nobody is coming here and we're actually resigning from the conference and starting a six a side team with our contracted players
have i got this right?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from forza ivano
so let's get this straight:

magnay and pearson have joined several football league clubs, gowling has gone home /to chester/ to grimsby, mckreth has rejoined tranmere, the shop is job sharing at wigan and wimbledon, whilst arnold is returning to the football league, and bradley wood is going to lincoln when he should be coming here.in fact nobody is coming here and we're actually resigning from the conference and starting a six a side team with our contracted players
have i got this right?

Absolutely, I've no idea where these people's "credible sources" are but they need to change them. I'm not believing anything until it's official on gtfc.co.uk.
Posted by: immariner, May 28, 2015, 6:50pm; Reply: 117
If Pearson, Magnay & LJL have left/do leave (which I expect at least one of them to) the only thing I would be peeved about is that they weren't offered contracts before the season ended when there was a real buzz about the place. Can someone more enlightened explain why this couldn't have been done?
Posted by: GrimRob, May 28, 2015, 7:19pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from immariner
If Pearson, Magnay & LJL have left/do leave (which I expect at least one of them to) the only thing I would be peeved about is that they weren't offered contracts before the season ended when there was a real buzz about the place. Can someone more enlightened explain why this couldn't have been done?

We didn't know what division we would be in!
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 28, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 119
So just to summarise for newcomers, after 12 pages of speculation and rumour no-one has actually left.........yet.
Posted by: immariner, May 28, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from GrimRob

We didn't know what division we would be in!

Contracts could theoretically have promotion wage rise clauses within them. I did request someone more enlightened. Thanks though. :)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from immariner

How do you know that we didn't ?
Posted by: immariner, May 28, 2015, 7:53pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from ginnywings

How do you know that we didn't ?

Because it would have been announced/got in to the public domain.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2015, 7:57pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from immariner

Possibly.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 28, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from immariner

If last Summer we offered Pearson (for example) a 2 year contract but he said he'd only sign for one you think that info would have been made public?
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, May 28, 2015, 8:04pm; Reply: 125
Ultimately Town have a budget to stick to. The longer we are in this league the more likely that budget will reduce. There is no Sky money down here...clubs have to make their own way.

For the last few seasons Town have been able to fund a competitive squad that has had relative success. I would imagine the new budget wont be too far off last year. But it is not a bottomless pit.

I would dearly love to keep hold of all the players we have offered contracts to but the reality some of the better players will be in demand and will have other offers. Hopefully Town can entice most of them to stay.

When the club set their budget they will base it on potential revenue and that will be based on attendences. I think last years averaged 3600 but most games were nearer 3000 and we rarely got above 4000. Not bad for Conference football but for a team near the top of league and pushing for promotion, like we have the last 3 seasons, i was disappointed by the gates and i dare say they are less than what the club based their budget on.

So for all those stay away fans and those saying they wont go much unless they are winning that is exactly why the money dwindles and our ability to sign and hold onto better players lessens. Individual choice obviously if you decide not to renew a season ticket or go to Blundell Park at all but  pause and think before you slag off the club/fenty/manager/laundry lady....
Posted by: immariner, May 28, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

If last Summer we offered Pearson (for example) a 2 year contract but he said he'd only sign for one you think that info would have been made public?

If we'd have offered (any kind of) contract to any/all of Pearson, Magnay and Lenny well in advance of the end of the season, I'm sure something would have been mentioned somewhere. What you're supposing is not the same scenario.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 127
Think what Hurst could do if he had the budgets that the useless Newell and the hapless Woods had. Players like Ridley and Kempson were on a better whack than the current lot.  :-/
Posted by: immariner, May 28, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from ginnywings
Think what Hurst could do if he had the budgets that the useless Newell and the hapless Woods had. Players like Ridley and Kempson were on a better whack than the current lot.  :-/

*shudders*
Posted by: nightrider, May 28, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 129
I bet Disco Des was on more than the whole team and management
Posted by: Tom13, May 28, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from nightrider
I bet Disco Des was on more than the whole team and management

All worth it for when he throttled that guy away at Donny Rovers in the cup though  ;)
Posted by: davmariner, May 28, 2015, 8:36pm; Reply: 131
So has anyone actually left/is anyone actually leaving?
Posted by: chaos33, May 28, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Tom13

All worth it for when he throttled that guy away at Donny Rovers in the cup though  ;)

Yeah,that was good actually. In fact, that was the best thing he did. :)
Posted by: topuphere666, May 28, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 133
Can't we just turn the fishy off till 8th August?
Posted by: nightrider, May 28, 2015, 10:11pm; Reply: 134
Wasn't it Des who used to do step overs all the time? Or am I thinking Tony Rees....
Either way, you could tell he was a million pound player
# Midfield General
Posted by: RonMariner, May 29, 2015, 6:28pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from nightrider
Wasn't it Des who used to do step overs all the time? Or am I thinking Tony Rees....
Either way, you could tell he was a million pound player
# Midfield General

Both, but in Tony Rees's case it was deliberate.....
Posted by: Grimal, May 29, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from topuphere666
Can't we just turn the fishy off till 8th August?

Yeh !  you can, no one else logs you on. ;)

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:13am