Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: PB, May 25, 2015, 3:01pm
Ironically my three nearest teams last season (Nuneaton, Telford and Alfreton) have gone. This leaves the midlands nearly without representation, although at least the annual trip for steam trains, beer, and quality football food is still on at Kidderminster.
If you look at the location of next year's teams it will nearly be a split of the country into North and South. Although the league may be notionally now called 'National',  for many there has never been a better time to regionalise this league. No small team wants to spend so much time and money on travel and there are some long-haul trips in the offing for everyone. I think there is a better case for the fourth and fifth tier leagues to become League 2 North and South, than say three up/three down.
Posted by: mimma, May 25, 2015, 7:10pm; Reply: 1
Leave it as it is. Some "smaller" teams have more money that us.

Teams knew what they were getting themselves into when they joined this league. they can't then moan & expect every other club to drop down to their level.
Posted by: wigworld, May 25, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 2
I can see the financial benefit to clubs of having a League 2 North and South.
But League 2 and the Conference Premier are run by completely separate organisations.
Would you expect the conference to surrender the Conference Premier to the football league? Or for the football league to surrender League 2 to the conference?
I can't see how it would happen.
Posted by: mimma, May 25, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 3
Just been looking at the map of the clubs for next season.

One of the nearer games for us is guiseley, the ground only holds 3,000. Could be interesting.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 25, 2015, 11:00pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from mimma

One of the nearer games for us is guiseley, the ground only holds 3,000. Could be interesting.

Lets assemble 11 players first and take it from there before anticipating the travelling hordes  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, May 25, 2015, 11:19pm; Reply: 5
Quite
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 26, 2015, 1:52am; Reply: 6
League 2 north and South with 3 up 3 down? How would that work exactly, there'll still only be 3 coming down for league 1 say, not enough space for 6 teams going up?
Posted by: thevera, May 26, 2015, 7:43am; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma

My guess would be this game will be a midweek in November to deliberately suppress the potential numbers willing to travel. Most of our nearer away days last year seemed to be midweek. Could be other reasoning behind it but I did think it was odd.
Posted by: gary_elton, May 26, 2015, 9:18am; Reply: 8
Quoted from mimma

Alfretons ground only holds 3,600.....  we coped there....  the only problem would be Bradford and Leeds fans
turning up...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 26, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 9
Am not one for north/south divisions, but when you look at the map of teams, there is a huge void from Lincoln to kiddy and across to the London teams. I agree that some teams do become isolated for that reason (barrow, Gateshead etc)
Posted by: mimma, May 26, 2015, 7:10pm; Reply: 10
The problem with north/south leagues is when all the teams that are relegated are from the north, but you still have to promote the southern teams, you still end up with more southern teams any way.

If it happens two or three years on the trot, you will then end up with unbalanced leagues, because the southern league doesn't have any relegated teams, the northern section has too many.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 12:40pm