Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: prestonmariner, May 22, 2015, 1:15pm
Alright everyone, i've had a little idea.

Being one of many of us who drinks real ale, i've been thinking of the possibilities of their being an official Grimsby Town ale.

Inspired by Saltaire brewery producing 'Bantam Blonde' in celebration of Bradford City's success the season before last, i would love to see a beer made for our club.

If we could get the support for it through the club, the Mariners trust, and the Grimsby branch of CAMRA, it could be a huge success.

Imagine on a match day if The Imp, The BP Hotel, as well as McMenemy's, and the trust bar selling the beer, as well as pubs across Grimsby & Cleethorpes selling the beer, it would raise the profile of the club and the brewery.
If feasible, a proportion of every pint sold would go directly to the Mariners Trust, and would act as a further push behind what has already been a great week for the Trust.

I've been thinking Tom Woods brewery near Barnetby would be the ideal brewery, considering location and their decent reputation.

Do any of you think this is a feasible/good idea?

Any added suggestions or ideas are very very welcome.

Here's a link to a story about the Bantam beer i mentioned; http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbcfc/capital_one_cup_semi/10195819.Brewers_raise_a_glass_to_Bradford_City___s_cup_success_with_special_edition_ales/

Cheers. UTM
Posted by: Sussexmariner, May 22, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 1
Great idea!

If they include cider(mans drink) I'm in
Posted by: gary_elton, May 22, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 2
A damn fine idea  sir !!! A GTFC REAL ALE !!!

You do realise of course that there will have to be a poll to decide the name of this beer ,
and the fishy being the fishy there will be about 400 choices...  (thumbup1)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 22, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 3
Excellent idea.  We could promote it on a promotion.    Will the yeast rise up into the League?

No need to chill it.  BP in the winter will be enough.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 22, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 4
Think this may have been tried before but yeah it is a great idea and should be looked at.

Tom Woods deliver to GY every week already. There are also Fulstow and Blackhorse breweries in Louth.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 22, 2015, 1:44pm; Reply: 5
The club already has a brewery contract it would have to be done through them :/
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 22, 2015, 1:49pm; Reply: 6
I like this idea, as long as it's not over priced, otherwise people will just drink other options. But I love the idea, would be ace if this idea is taken up.

'Mariners ale' There's plenty of options for name of the ale.  8)
Posted by: BIGChris, May 22, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 7
I seem to think the original Trust had a bottled Mariners Beer although the beer/ memory may have distorted the facts????

As mentioned above the club have a contract with the suppliers of beers for the bars at BP but i am not sure when it is up for renewal or if any additional ales could be added outside of the contract. Same applies to other establishments? many are 'owned' by the brewery and have little or no scope to go outside.

As a CAMRA member myself i would be delighted if something could be done
Posted by: prestonmariner, May 22, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 8
Yes, it all depends on the owner of the bar too, and the contract with the supplier etc etc.

I'm glad that some of you like the idea though.

Chris, does the GY branch of CAMRA have a regular meeting like many of the other branches? And if so, could this be something possibly brought up at the next meeting. I have a feeling the men and women in that room will have a lot more contacts in the brewing world and could possibly ask the question.

Like a few have said though, it would be have to reasonably priced, which, if the brewery were happy to see it as a charitable investment, then it could see the price be driven down. You can easily sell a pint at £2.60 with 10p going to the Trust, if the overheads are reasonable, just as an example.

The naming would be interesting! Blundell Park Bitter/ Pontoon Pale/ Buckley Blonde etc etc
And even the type of beer we'd have. All open to suggestions and ideas though. :) UTM
Posted by: BIGChris, May 22, 2015, 2:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from prestonmariner
Yes, it all depends on the owner of the bar too, and the contract with the supplier etc etc.

I'm glad that some of you like the idea though.

Chris, does the GY branch of CAMRA have a regular meeting like many of the other branches? And if so, could this be something possibly brought up at the next meeting. I have a feeling the men and women in that room will have a lot more contacts in the brewing world and could possibly ask the question.

Like a few have said though, it would be have to reasonably priced, which, if the brewery were happy to see it as a charitable investment, then it could see the price be driven down. You can easily sell a pint at £2.60 with 10p going to the Trust, if the overheads are reasonable, just as an example.

The naming would be interesting! Blundell Park Bitter/ Pontoon Pale/ Buckley Blonde etc etc
And even the type of beer we'd have. All open to suggestions and ideas though. :) UTM

The local CAMRA branch do have regular meetings although i have to say i have never attended any
Posted by: psgmariner, May 22, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from BIGChris

The local CAMRA branch do have regular meetings although i have to say i have never attended any

They meet at the Notts or Willys.

http://www.camragrimsby.btik.com/Diary
Posted by: pizzzza, May 22, 2015, 2:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from psgmariner

http://www.camragrimsby.btik.com/Diary

I assume they meet up, have a few beers and a good chat. Or as I like to call it ‘going to the pub’.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 22, 2015, 2:48pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from psgmariner

I prefer Willys.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 22, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pizzzza

I prefer Willys.

so i hear........... ;)
Posted by: rancido, May 22, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 14
Don't Willys brew their own beer? I seem to think their is a micro brewery at Fulstow as well.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 22, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 15
They could do a porter and call it Steve Stoutt.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 22, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 16
http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/beer-kits/mariner-beer-kits

Was considering doing some of these in the summer.
Posted by: agrimevertonian, May 22, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 17
There was one.....Willy's Brewery "Mariners Gold" brewed id say 25 years ago....a dark ale similar to the then Marstons "Merrie Monk"

Posted by: gary_elton, May 22, 2015, 10:08pm; Reply: 18
Theakstons do a real ale for Terry Hall....

It's called Old Peculier.....   ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from BIGChris
I seem to think the original Trust had a bottled Mariners Beer although the beer/ memory may have distorted the facts????

As mentioned above the club have a contract with the suppliers of beers for the bars at BP but i am not sure when it is up for renewal or if any additional ales could be added outside of the contract. Same applies to other establishments? many are 'owned' by the brewery and have little or no scope to go outside.

As a CAMRA member myself i would be delighted if something could be done

Yes. By Tom Wood.
Posted by: Maringer, May 22, 2015, 11:38pm; Reply: 20
Willy's do brew various stuff. A little inconsistent, but generally not bad. Their premium beer (intermittently brewed) was "Old Groyne" which is amusing enough!

I'm sure that Bill could be persuaded to brew a special "Mariners" brew, providing decent sales were guaranteed. Not sure that bottling would be on the horizon though.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:06pm