Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2015, 8:03am
Saturday afternoons aren't quite the same without football so i will be at a loss as what to do. I don't really have any hobbies so after walking the dogs maybe a bit of cricket on the telly.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 22, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 1
Away somewhere in my camper. Probably walking some coastal path or suchlike. Other half finishes her degree next week and has just got a job which starts in August, so we are planning to sodomist off round northern England and Scotland for a few weeks from the beginning of June and it will be the start of the season before we know it.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2015, 8:45am; Reply: 2
Moan probably. Got a holiday in greece at the end of june but nothing beats the football on a saturday
Posted by: BIGChris, May 22, 2015, 8:50am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
Away somewhere in my camper. Probably walking some coastal path or suchlike. Other half finishes her degree next week and has just got a job which starts in August, so we are planning to sodomist off round northern England and Scotland for a few weeks from the beginning of June and it will be the start of the season before we know it.

Sounds idylic. Enjoy
Posted by: ginnywings, May 22, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 4
Quoted from BIGChris

Sounds idylic. Enjoy

Thank you, i will.

Going to find some remote spots and chill out.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 22, 2015, 9:37am; Reply: 5
Anything but shopping.

Probably fishing, cycling, gym, painting the shed. Watching paint dry, just not shopping.
Posted by: Maringer, May 22, 2015, 10:02am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings

I went down to Dorset for the first time at Easter (always went to Cornwall or Devon when I was a kid). Some beautiful scenery and great walking down there (plenty of nice pubs as well!) so worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods.
Posted by: big al, May 22, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 7
Quoted from promotion plaice
Saturday afternoons aren't quite the same without football so i will be at a loss as what to do. I don't really have any hobbies so after walking the dogs maybe a bit of cricket on the telly.

I could watch some cricket or I could spend time pushing needles under my fingernails for more fun. No disrespect to the op but when I watch cricket or rugby I am reminded why football is called the beautiful game, especially watching Town these days.

Bizarrely, as a Merseyside exile, I am very keen to see who'll we'll be playing and when next season - something I've not done in a very long time.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 22, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

Thank you, i will.

Get yourself to Plockton. My favourite place in the whole of the UK to chill out and relax and recently voted the 2nd most scenic village in the UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PLOCKTON&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ciBfVbOVBumu7Ab-pYCgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=747
Posted by: BIGChris, May 22, 2015, 2:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

Get yourself to Plockton. My favourite place in the whole of the UK to chill out and relax and recently voted the 2nd most scenic village in the UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PLOCKTON&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ciBfVbOVBumu7Ab-pYCgCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=747

Dont think you have ever mentioed that before Les ;)
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, May 22, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 10
Still got my kids team and a summer of tournaments , where the other Parents get hammered and I am left running the team and babysitting!!!
Posted by: LH, May 22, 2015, 4:56pm; Reply: 11
Golf. Mostly watching due to injury but hopefully back on the course in early July. Probably drinking too much beer and cider too. No holiday this year as hopefully buying a house in the autumn.  
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 22, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 12
For those of you who still want your football fix....

Scottish Junior Cup Final, Sunday June 7th at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock, 4pm

Auchinleck Talbot vs Musselburgh Athletic (a rerun of the 2011 Final)

After that, we still have the Ayrshire Cup, Evening Times Cup and season will finish near the bottom end of June. Once that's finished there's a thriving Juvenile / Welfare summer fitba season as well.
Posted by: springstomind, May 22, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 13
Fishing with a 4 pack of lager and a packed lunch and some tunes whilst browsing the fishy in the sun = bliss.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 22, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Maringer

I went down to Dorset for the first time at Easter (always went to Cornwall or Devon when I was a kid). Some beautiful scenery and great walking down there (plenty of nice pubs as well!) so worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods.

Dorset is beautiful and not so busy as Devon and Cornwall. Haven't been for a while but will get back at some point. Love it round the Lyme Regis area. We are heading North and may even get to Plockton after Les has sung it's praises so much. I've no idea where we will end up. We headed for Scotland last year but never made it further than Northumberland, which is no bad thing as it is my favourite County.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 22, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

Dorset is beautiful and not so busy as Devon and Cornwall. Haven't been for a while but will get back at some point. Love it round the Lyme Regis area. We are heading North and may even get to Plockton after Les has sung it's praises so much. I've no idea where we will end up. We headed for Scotland last year but never made it further than Northumberland, which is no bad thing as it is my favourite County.

If you do get up that way Ginny then you must do the train journey between Dingwall and Kyle Of Lochalsh. Some breathtaking views on there, especially the part from Strathcarron to Plockton as the train snakes it was around Loch Carron.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 22, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 16
Anyone heard of a place called Plockton? I'm going there, full of town fans.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 22, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 17
Magic Weekend next weekend!

http://www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk/magic_weekend_2015
Posted by: LH, May 22, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob

Spend the weekend with a load of bell-ends from Yorkshire? Why do I need to go to Newcastle to do that when I can go to Cleethorpes?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2015, 11:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Maringer

Dorset is ace. Beautiful scenery. Spectacular in parts - Lulworth Clove, Durdle Door etc (the Geography field trip we never had). Good beaches - Swanage, those posh ones not far from there whose name escapes me, and Sandbanks. Day tripable from here. Poole Harbour. And Bovington museum for boys who like their toys BIG.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 23, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings

Thank you, i will.

I'd recommend the north Coast of Scotland, very nice and some amazing scenery and if you have time to drive through Glencoe, some of the best scenery you will see in the British Isles.
Posted by: Rick12, May 24, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
Sounds good.Sort of thing I would do if I had the time and money.Student still on the up  ;)

Posted by: forza ivano, May 24, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 22
Shropshire and the Welsh borders. Lovely part of the country.
Love the summer break , hours in the garden, long runs through the fields and lanes, plus cricket for the village team with red kites circling overhead and idyllic views over to quainton hill.bliss
Posted by: Teesknees, May 24, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 23
Worked on the Isle of Iona a few years ago.. beautuful place if you're up that way.. although all the women looked like men with head scarfs on! There was only one hotel and one morning one of the guys woke up to find the hotel manager in his bed. also male... when we got up he was sat in the hotel lounge and went home an hour later and refused to pay the bill! There was also a convention of druids there at the same time so it was a bizzare experience!
Anyway nice place to visit!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 24, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 24
I will be up in Yorkie land for the next few Saturdays,

After that I suppose it will be Wimbledon on the telly,

Then waiting for the new fixtures to come out,

Seeing when we have Braintree away will be the highlight of my day,(cursing)
Posted by: rancido, May 24, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 25
Probably lunch time sessions in the Cromwell Club plus 2 weeks in Teneriffe while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 24, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

My all time favourite. Trying to do the whole of our coast.
Walked the tip of Spurn to South Sheilds, Gibralter point to Meggies, Wyre Estuary at Fleetwood to The Ribble at Lytham, Liverpool Docks to Southport. What an afternoon that was - my feet were killing.  ;D
I truely believe you don't need to leave this country for scenery, no matter what the weather. Coast and cliffs look completely different in the snow and the sunshine.
Taking the other half on a little baby walk tomorrow from Mablethorpe to Skegness.
It will be a lovely surprise for her as I told her we were parking at Chaple St Leonards and it was ony a couple of miles.  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 24, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GYinScuntland

My all time favourite. Trying to do the whole of our coast.
Walked the tip of Spurn to South Sheilds, Gibralter point to Meggies, Wyre Estuary at Fleetwood to The Ribble at Lytham, Liverpool Docks to Southport. What an afternoon that was - my feet were killing.  ;D
I truely believe you don't need to leave this country for scenery, no matter what the weather. Coast and cliffs look completely different in the snow and the sunshine.
Taking the other half on a little baby walk tomorrow from Mablethorpe to Skegness.
It will be a lovely surprise for her as I told her we were parking at Chaple St Leonards and it was ony a couple of miles.  ;D

Chapel St Leonards is a little known gem of a place, we love taking the dogs there.. Anyway me and my wife are taking the dogs to stay in a static caravan for a week at reighton sands at reighton gap between Bridlington and Scarborough, love it there.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 24, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 28

Chapel St Leonards is a little known gem of a place, we love taking the dogs there.. Anyway me and my wife are taking the dogs to stay in a static caravan for a week at reighton sands at reighton gap between Bridlington and Scarborough, love it there.

I often get the train from Cottingham to Brid then Walk to Scarborough and train back, it's stunning coastline.
Went only the week before last and fell out with some holidaymakers on clifftops at Cayton Bay.
There was a lot of wailing coming from the rocks out at sea and the conversation went along the lines of:-

Son- Dad, what's that noise?
Dad- I think it's seals or walruses.
Me- Nah mate, it's the rapid cliff climbing, kid eating sea monster.
Son- Whaa... I want to go back to the caravan mum.
Mum to me - You flipping evil twit.
Dad- There aren't any monsters.
Son- You took me to find the Loch Ness one.

Mum was pretty meaty and mad so I did one in the general direction of Scarborough.
Posted by: MarinerMart, May 25, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 29
I will take the opportunity to transfer my old GTFC videos to my computer......the good old days revisited and some legends of past seasons :)
Posted by: Rick12, May 25, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 30

Nice to see so many Town fans enjoying our great British countryside. Dont need a lot of money to make you happy. Ive been abroad before when younger to the USA for instance and have gained just as much enjoyment if not more from visiting places here in the British isles.

Posted by: oldludensian, May 25, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 31
Cricket and tons of cycling, both watching (Giro D'Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a Espana) and doing (cycling trips planned for the Dales and Isle of Wight).

Plus, the biggest relaxation is not having to worry about Town. It takes its toll on you after a few years.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:22am