Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 20, 2015, 7:03pm
The subject of fans pledging £100 each to help with the playing budget has been raised on a separate thread. With a few already staring they would be happy to pledge - myself included, I thought it would be easier to make a centralised thread so we can keep a tally.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 20, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 1
Count me in
Posted by: H19P1, May 20, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 2
Count me in for the 100 quid no problem lads
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, May 20, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 3
As I said on the other thread, count me in. Just let me know how.
Posted by: MarinerRob, May 20, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 4
I'm happy to do so having supported Town since the 60's. :)
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 20, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 5
Add a poll to this, simple question, in or out?

I'm in.
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 7:12pm; Reply: 6
If I say I'm in on both threads am I obliged to pay £200?
Posted by: pizzzza, May 20, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 7
Would be happy to join in.
Posted by: acko338, May 20, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 8
Yes, I'm in !!

How about it runs like a raffle draw with one entry per £100, and the club put together some form of corporate type treat for the winner ??

Incentive to take part with the chance for a lucky winner to get a package of Town goodies and a family box for a day on the first home game in Div 2 !!

Are the club hitting the Grimsby North Sea Renewables firms for sponsorship while the local interest for the docks and Able at Killingholme takes off??

Which firm will match the £100 fans' pledge total ??

This fund needs to be in early, for use for the best players to supplement the squad that re-sign for 2015/6.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 20, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 9
Could admin add a poll to this thread please? Not sure how to do it on my mobile. Thanks.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 20, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 10
I would be in.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 20, 2015, 7:27pm; Reply: 11
Me
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 20, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 12
im in
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 20, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 13
I would donate £100.00 towards my beloved club without a shadow of doubt!

So I'm in.  :)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 20, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 14
Happy to chip in for this.  A thousand people at £100 a pop would be a significant amount.

If the club go behind it, they could offer the chance to visit training or have a draw to be a "Director for a Day" and go in the Director's box.  Loads of conference clubs hardly send any representatives, so there must be plenty of room in there.
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 15
Just a point a mate has raised in an imessage - am I right in saying that any fan generated funds are exempt from FFP rules?
Posted by: iimariner, May 20, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 16
I'm in
Posted by: RalphFilthy, May 20, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 17
I'd be in
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 20, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 18
I'm in.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 20, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 19
That's £1800 notes already.  :)
Posted by: Hagrid, May 20, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 20
Im sure i could help out too- but because its been a long day, someone give me a quick run down of what we are doing with the money?
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 20, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid
Im sure i could help out too- but because its been a long day, someone give me a quick run down of what we are doing with the money?

It's Hurst and Fentys Thailand 2015 fund. They're off to spend it all on strippers, cocaine and cage fighting midgets.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 20, 2015, 8:06pm; Reply: 22
I'm in
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 8:07pm; Reply: 23
Turning the Findus bar into a strip club and outsourcing catering to Nandos.
Posted by: Mariner16, May 20, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 24
Yeah im in
Posted by: immariner, May 20, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 25
As suggested in another thread, could this be done as a way to subsidise Junior tickets for those who qualify for free school means (as an example), getting bums on seats and potentially creating life-long (paying) fans. Junior supporters could sign up to a loyalty scheme and be put into a prize draw to win tickets to games, subsidised by these kinds of "donations". I think it would create a great community-feel whilst boosting the "war chest".
Posted by: Biccys, May 20, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from pontoonlew

It's Hurst and Fentys Thailand 2015 fund. They're off to spend it all on strippers, cocaine and cage fighting midgets.

At least they're not going to waste it.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 20, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 27
I'm in, no problem.
Posted by: Freemoash88, May 20, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 28
Count me in I'll help pay for Hurst and Fentys cheeky Nandos
Posted by: GrimRob, May 20, 2015, 8:29pm; Reply: 29
Count me in! All money earmarked for player(s).
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, May 20, 2015, 8:30pm; Reply: 30
no brainer. i'm in
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 20, 2015, 8:32pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from immariner
As suggested in another thread, could this be done as a way to subsidise Junior tickets for those who qualify for free school means (as an example), getting bums on seats and potentially creating life-long (paying) fans. Junior supporters could sign up to a loyalty scheme and be put into a prize draw to win tickets to games, subsidised by these kinds of "donations". I think it would create a great community-feel whilst boosting the "war chest".

I am in if it is to boost transfer / wages funds. Definitely not in if the above applies.
Posted by: heppy88, May 20, 2015, 8:32pm; Reply: 32
If as suggested in the other thread, this would be a loan that would be repaid as a discounted season ticket next season I would be definately in.
Think its a great idea.
Just keep it simple. Pay £100 extra on this years season ticket and recieve £100 discount off future season ticket. In effect an interest free loan for the club. Simples.
Posted by: MawsleyMariner, May 20, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 33
Im in.

Also, remember there are a lot of visitors to the fishy who are not members (150 guests at the time of this post) who might want to pledge.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 20, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 34
Already got £300 of commitments from non-forum members. I'd rather everyone register on here (to register just send an email to rob@thefishy.co.uk) so it's all in once place but I will keep a list of people who have let me know.
Posted by: immariner, May 20, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 75

I am in if it is to boost transfer / wages funds. Definitely not in if the above applies.

Why not? It would boost our budget and certainly wouldn't need to be all of it, probably just a tiny fraction of the amount raised (a few hundred junior tickets a season perhaps). Add in the loyalty card/prize draw aspect of it then you're incentivising Junior supporters to attend (and pay) for the chance at a later date to win a free ticket. At the same time this might help to create long-term supporters who will continue to put money into the club for years to come, whilst helping to create a postitive image of GTFC as a community-centred club. To my eyes, it's certainly a better proposition, giving a lot more potential future benefit, than a collective, short-term, 'throwing-the-money-at-it' project.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 20, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 36
Am I wrong in thinking this is simply a donation of £100? Hopefully, the lad who started the thread can pull it all together and add clarity?

Would be a nice gesture to JF and the board members. A drop in the ocean maybe, but a gesture all the same.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 20, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from 75
Am I wrong in thinking this is simply a donation of £100? Hopefully, the lad who started the thread can pull it all together and add clarity?

Would be a nice gesture to JF and the board members. A drop in the ocean maybe, but a gesture all the same.

Personally I think it has to be a straightforward donation which goes to the playing budget and nothing else, and is not any sort of loan with an administrative burden to gtfc. We'll all see the benefits of it right in front of us when we watch Town. That's only my opinion though, I am not organising this.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 20, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from immariner

Why not? It would boost our budget and certainly wouldn't need to be all of it, probably just a tiny fraction of the amount raised (a few hundred junior tickets a season perhaps). Add in the loyalty card/prize draw aspect of it then you're incentivising Junior supporters to attend (and pay) for the chance at a later date to win a free ticket. At the same time this might help to create long-term supporters who will continue to put money into the club for years to come, whilst helping to create a postitive image of GTFC as a community-centred club. To my eyes, it's certainly a better proposition than a collective, short-term, 'throwing-the-money-at-it' project.

I'll answer honestly, sorry if I cause offence but you did ask.

Junior tickets are already very cheap. I'm not sure how much they are as I don't have kids but I know there is a kids for a quid deal in the main stand.

So tickets for kids are already subsidised. I don't want to contribute to people on benefits, I already do this with my taxes and I think people on benefits get too much for nothing as it is.

The tax credit nonsense annoys me, as do the lack of a means tested child benefit system (I.e you could earn 100k a year and are still entitled to benefits).

I do want to contribute towards the signing of a new striker though. I don't want anything back, my only incentive is to show support to the club, the board and the players.
Posted by: barralad, May 20, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 39
Guys and girls The Trust are putting the finishing touches to a boost the budget scheme which will incorporate all of these pledges. Watch this space!!
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 20, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from barralad
Guys and girls The Trust are putting the finishing touches to a boost the budget scheme which will incorporate all of these pledges. Watch this space!!

All good saying that but that could be a couple of months down the line, there's a good feeling around the club at the minute (which is flipping remarkable given Sundays result) I say start it now and strike whilst the iron is hot.
Posted by: bax, May 20, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from pontoonlew

All good saying that but that could be a couple of months down the line, there's a good feeling around the club at the minute (which is flipping remarkable given Sundays result) I say start it now and strike whilst the iron is hot.

It's going to be announced within the next couple of days.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 20, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 42
Me and 3 other 18 year olds will be joining in the next couple of days. Could the trust use a competition on the Facebook and twitter pages to advertise that people are pledging for money which is to go straight into the budget. I can see if the players committing then this really kicking off, people are still gutted and hurt about Sunday but the players showing that they want it will inspire the fans and hopefully add a couple off grand onto the budget.
Posted by: Promotion Train, May 20, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 43
All seems like a great idea, I'm in. Lets wait and see what the Trust come up with......
Posted by: immariner, May 20, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 75

Junior tickets are already very cheap. I'm not sure how much they are as I don't have kids but I know there is a kids for a quid deal in the main stand.

So tickets for kids are already subsidised. I don't want to contribute to people on benefits, I already do this with my taxes and I think people on benefits get too much for nothing as it is.

The tax credit nonsense annoys me, as do the lack of a means tested child benefit system (I.e you could earn 100k a year and are still entitled to benefits).

I do want to contribute towards the signing of a new striker though. I don't want anything back, my only incentive is to show support to the club, the board and the players.

It's not even remotely about contributing to people on benefits (forget about the free school meals bit, that was just an example). It's about creating an incentive and loyalty scheme for young Grimsby Town supporters, many of whom, like me, won't have GTFC supporting family and come from a poor background, as I did, making it difficult to afford games (£5-7 isn't cheap for a sprog), as it was for me. It's not as if there aren't plenty enough of these kids around NE Lincs, being lured away by the Premier League and just about anything else. I just think we can boost the club's coffers for this season but also start something worthwhile and of continuing benefit (financially) to the football club, and maybe, maybe just a little bit, to some young 'uns in the area. Fair enough if you don't agree, it's just an idea and it's your money you're pledging.
Posted by: gary_elton, May 20, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 45
I hope this returns to the original idea of raising money to be for the first team playing squad...

at the end of the day... we want promotion , you wont get it by subsidising cheap tickets... if
14,000 can go to Wembley at the price it cost them , there's no reason to not expect gates of
6,000 for a succesful team at BP....  fund the first team squad.....
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 10:34pm; Reply: 46
People won't go to games and therefore the club won't make money without good signings, but without the money the players won't come. On Sunday evening I thought we faced a catch-22 where we wouldn't be able to renew contracts etc due to lack of funds. The release and offers list lifted this mood but now the fans have done themselves proud yet again and stepped up to the plate to say they will help.

If we can convert pledges into real cash and spread the word there is no reason for players not to come and therefore crowds grow. The fund should be entirely for a warchest in my opinion but some sort of incentive like somebody mentioned like a hospitality day or some prizes from the club can't hurt to help people to cough up a bit can it?
Posted by: springstomind, May 20, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 47
I get my 8 year bonus soon. Absolutely count me in!!
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 20, 2015, 10:37pm; Reply: 48
Just for clarity, on the 'Picking up on PH comment' thread, Moosey made the suggestion that money could not guarantee success on the pitch.

I followed this up with the suggestion that those interested pledge £100 and when we have a significant number of pledges, payment would be required.

This dedicated thread was started for the pledges of £100.

It seems that the Trust has some ideas that are imminent but my initial thought was that the money go directly to the transfer fund and nowhere else.

That way, we the fans can see how our collective £100's have been spent.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 20, 2015, 10:40pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from springstomind

You can buy the club with that sort of money!

Posted by: springstomind, May 20, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 50
Anyone know how this is actually going to be set up. It's something is like to do but there's great ideas sometimes only stay as ideas and it's a shame.  Hopefully the trust can find a way of assuring the fans and pledgers that the funds donated can only go to the team / player / contract budget and nothing else and offer an easy way "paypal" or whatever to pay online. Let's get it done whilst the feel good factor is extremely high! Utm!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2015, 10:45pm; Reply: 51
I'd be in. Hopefully The Trust will come up with some sort of website to donate to. If not, I'm always willing to set some sort of page up to receive donations.
Posted by: bax, May 20, 2015, 10:46pm; Reply: 52
Again, just to re-iterate, the Trust will be putting something out in the public domain very, very soon. Hopefully we can keep the united front and positivity going!
Posted by: GrimRob, May 20, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 53
Anyone know how this is actually going to be set up. It's something is like to do but there's great ideas sometimes only stay as ideas and it's a shame.  Hopefully the trust can find a way of assuring the fans and pledgers that the funds donated can only go to the team / player / contract budget and nothing else and offer an easy way "paypal" or whatever to pay online. Let's get it done whilst the feel good factor is extremely high! Utm!

It's definitely going to happen, we await the details from the Trust, to see exactly form it will take, but the basic idea is to allow voluntary contributions from fans to boost the playing budget. Hopefully it will include ways for online payment with the likes of Paypal and more traditional ways to contibute, but I don't know the details.
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 54

Think not of it being a bonus but compensation - it just means you've been in too long!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 20, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 55
I mentioned on another thread about being willing to sponsor a season ticket for a junior who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to go, as well as the idea of chucking in £100 to the playing budget.

I agree that for now, it's best to keep it simple and just get those hundreds rolling in, earmarked for the playing budget.  It's a simple, transparent commitment that also allows fans to see where the money goes.  Other things can always roll out once the season's going.

Good on the Trust for getting it going.  As Barralad might say "More power to their elbow!"
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 20, 2015, 10:53pm; Reply: 56
The way I see it, this is £100 that in theory you shouldn't have to spend on Wembley next year if the money is used well.

I like the thought of donating what you like but a certain amount entering you into a prize draw for something. Not everybody can afford £100, but maybe some people can contribute £10, 20, 50 or however much they feel comfortable with.
Posted by: springstomind, May 20, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 57
Awesome. I reckon we can raise enough to genuinely make a difference! Just ordering my new shirt now too. Every penny counts.
Posted by: GrimExile, May 20, 2015, 11:17pm; Reply: 58
Yes count me in too. Also it should be pointed out that anyone who wants to donate more can do so too. I'm not rich but I could be persuaded to donate £200 if it's going to the playing budget for next season. UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2015, 11:23pm; Reply: 59
I'm in. Money to squad. Ideally some sort of community spinoff. Eager to hear Trust plan.

Like the thought it'll save on going to Wembley again. Easily cost me that and I live in greater London.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2015, 11:44pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from 75

Are you kidding? It is means-tested. But in a cack-handed way. Thanks to the stupid system the Tories introduced, families with one high earner are penalised - with two children it was the equivalent of a £4000 pay cut. Two, not quite so high earners are in the clear. So much for the party of traditional family values eh?

Kids for a quid in the main stand is only for some games. It's more of a loss leader if it encourages them to support the club.

As for contributing to people on benefits, bring it on. If a scheme like this gets more people into the ground at no extra cost who is it hurting?  Besides most of the cost of benefits go on low-paid working people or are pensioners not on workshy layabouts. A town like Grimsby has more than it's fair share of low paid.
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2015, 11:57pm; Reply: 61
Please please please don't bring politics into this thread. We all have one common cause and that is getting Town out of this wankhole of a division. We have a full spectrum of political beliefs on this forum and they can be discussed on the non-football board - this is not the place.</rob mode>
Posted by: BIGChris, May 21, 2015, 7:03am; Reply: 62
I have made some suggestions that went to the Trust a couple of days ago following a telephone conversation and a exchange with Grim Rob who, amongst others, has made suggestions. We await what the Trust can come up with but hopefully it is very soon to capitalise on the current enthusiasm

My view is it MUST be ring fenced money and used entirely To Boost the Budget. One off donations are great but so are weekly or monthly payments via standing order.

This cannot JUST be a Fishy thing. It needs support from every avenue and Gy tel, chronicle, Facebook, Cod Almighty, Twitter etcetera etcetera must be utilised.

Businesses too.

This would really prove that Together we CAN make a difference!

UTM
Posted by: A.l.f., May 21, 2015, 7:12am; Reply: 63
Through the Trust is the best way and I'd be happy to contribute.  Maybe this could be the first steps towards a fan run club. Lets hope we can do a Bournemouth!
Posted by: psgmariner, May 21, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 64

Donations direct to a private company can be seen as income and may be taxable. Hope this has been considered.

Anyway I'm in but don't tell my wife.
Posted by: Lumpsleftbreast, May 21, 2015, 8:38am; Reply: 65
How about the club have a weekly prize draw for the people who pledge towards the playing budget in this way?

Say they get an hours training with the first team or get to watch a training session or a match day as a vip? Doesn't cost the club anything and might get more people signed up to it
Posted by: highcliff mariner, May 21, 2015, 8:46am; Reply: 66
Count me in .
Posted by: sonik, May 21, 2015, 9:19am; Reply: 67
Please count me in too. Great Idea!

UTM!
Posted by: thevera, May 21, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 68
Quoted from heppy88
If as suggested in the other thread, this would be a loan that would be repaid as a discounted season ticket next season I would be definately in.
Think its a great idea.
Just keep it simple. Pay £100 extra on this years season ticket and recieve £100 discount off future season ticket. In effect an interest free loan for the club. Simples.

I am sure when I hear the full details I will be in but I like the idea of the above. The worry would be though If we don't make it back to the league next season what would the implications of what would be a reduced budget for 2016/17 season. If we do go up next year then the extra income received in a league campaign would compensate.
Posted by: sonik, May 21, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 69
Keeping it simple is a donation of £100 for the playing budget. That's additional to what the Clubs budget will be!

UTM!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 21, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 70
£100 as well.
Posted by: nickmariners, May 21, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 71
Apologies if this already suggested - don't have time to read whole thread at the moment.

Consider selling longer-term season tickets to those who can afford them: 2 year, 3 year, 5 year, even longer.

Benefit to buyer would be price 'inflation-proofed' plus - helping GTFC with cashflow available to spend now.

Benefit to club would be cash-in-hand to help with player investment now.

Edit. PS:  I'm in
Posted by: GTFCNiles, May 21, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 72
So pledge £100 this season and when we are promoted (next year, year after?) then we get £100 off a season ticket?

In.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 21, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 73
I'm in and will await the Trust initiative. As well as the initial donation, would be willing to do a monthly standing order of a set amount.

A scenario i could foresee is maybe the initial pot could be matched or added to by the club for a transfer fee and ongoing contributions going towards a wage for a player. He could be owned by the Fishy.  ;D
Posted by: psgmariner, May 21, 2015, 10:37am; Reply: 74
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm in and will await the Trust initiative. As well as the initial donation, would be willing to do a monthly standing order of a set amount.

The 100 club is an easy way to do a monthly donation. Plus you are in with a chance of winning some cash yourself

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/100s-club-winners/
Posted by: LeeVanCleef, May 21, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 75
Count me in
Posted by: ginnywings, May 21, 2015, 10:48am; Reply: 76
Quoted from psgmariner

The 100 club is an easy way to do a monthly donation. Plus you are in with a chance of winning some cash yourself

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/100s-club-winners/

You're right but i was thinking more as a direct way of boosting the playing budget.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 21, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 77
I like that people connected to the trust are pushing the trust, it's a good thing.

However this idea is solely towards a transfer kitty, with the absolute maximum respect to everybody involved, I feel if I give my £100 to the trust, it won't go directly to the place I'd like it to, the pitch.
Posted by: bax, May 21, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 78
Quoted from pontoonlew
I like that people connected to the trust are pushing the trust, it's a good thing.

However this idea is solely towards a transfer kitty, with the absolute maximum respect to everybody involved, I feel if I give my £100 to the trust, it won't go directly to the place I'd like it to, the pitch.

Just wait a little longer until the Trust is able to announce their plans and hopefully your fears will be allayed!
Posted by: BIGChris, May 21, 2015, 11:08am; Reply: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew

Some allegation that!

Lets wait to see what is set up eh?

The Trust are facilitating a way in which the fans can help boost the budget. I expect it will be announced that 100% of the funds donated will be handed to the club for the playing budget only, nothing else.
Posted by: ska face, May 21, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 80
Quoted from pontoonlew

It's all well and good saying "maximum respect to...", then casting wild aspersions on something you don't really have any clue about!

If you really had any respect, you'd maybe wait a day or two for The Trust to announce their plans rather than making these risible statements and denigrating The Trust and all the excellent work they've done for fans on the last few years.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 21, 2015, 11:28am; Reply: 81
I will put £100 in.

I am already a long-time Trust member, have joined the Trust 100 club, am in the Gold Bond lottery and spend £5 every home game on the half-time lottery.  I have wins on of these, which keeps you encouraged.

What is different is that wife any 2 daughters (both in their 20s) don't like football.  I enrolled my wife in the Trust, also helpful as an exile for getting tickets for key games.

As xmas presents I then enrolled all 3 of them into the 100 Club monthly draw. This is very long-term as I am paying.   They have had some good wins. This helps them to identify more with GTFC.  A good thing, and it may help me go to more games when there were things to do around the house etc

Committed monthly income over the long-term all helps the Trust and the Club. The occasional win is also helpful in getting something back for your investment though.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 21, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 82
Don't take that post the wrong way, it's not an 'allegation'.

My point is I know the trust put the money towards all different areas of the club which is brilliant. On this occasion I'd just like to see the money spent specifically on players. And with Chris' post saying that is the case, then brilliant. I'm not sure how that post could've been read any other way...
Posted by: winston, May 21, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 83
Yes I would put £100 in
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 21, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 84
I'm in.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 21, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 85
How about if I just buy a season ticket for the first time in years? That's £300ish they didn't have last year.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 21, 2015, 11:59am; Reply: 86
Quoted from 97
How about if I just buy a season ticket for the first time in years? That's £300ish they didn't have last year.

don't think anyone's going to object mate!! :)
Posted by: Ships Cat, May 21, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 87
I'm in
Posted by: psgmariner, May 21, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from pontoonlew

My point is I know the trust put the money towards all different areas of the club which is brilliant. On this occasion I'd just like to see the money spent specifically on players. And with Chris' post saying that is the case, then brilliant. I'm not sure how that post could've been read any other way...

That's how I interpreted your post. The Trust have quite rightly spent money on the bars, the yoof and a few other important areas.
Posted by: Trawler, May 21, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 89
I'm in like Flynn
Posted by: ginnywings, May 21, 2015, 2:47pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from pontoonlew

That's how i read it, which is why when PSG suggested i do a standing order for the 100 club, i said i would rather the money went straight to the transfer fund as some of the 100 club money goes on prizes and is a separate issue for me.

Anyway, think i'll wait now and see what the Trust come up with.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 21, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 91
I'd be more than happy to put £100 to the clubs kitty, possibly £200 or £300 if i can.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 21, 2015, 4:56pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Grimsby2012
I'd be more than happy to put £100 to the clubs kitty, possibly £200 or £300 if i can.
Same here, although I'm breaking into savings to fork out my £100, then season ticket on top, new shirt etc.

As soon as I get another full-time job, I'll bang in a few hundred quid extra more as well.

If we can get this around the whole Town, not just the Fishy, use Facebook etc.  Also businesses involved, I can't see why 50K can't be raised, maybe even 100K.

Do it every year as well, I'd pledge the cash no problem.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 21, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 93
i dont know why but the love on this thread makes me feel weak. i wont say close to tears coz thats not possible, but, yeah, weak. great place, great team. im home sick. count me in, maybe for more. plus i like the idea of the club taking this on and running with it, cheaper season tickets, discounts at the bar, McMennemys discounts, all that stuff........all the ideas are there. Grimrob, this is your site, why not ask for a meet with the suits? let's be honest, as negative as this site can get sometimes, over the course of the years you have set up something that is a real tour de force, a voice of the fans.....the GT follows your lead, the fans organise amazing shyt with themes through here......maybe its time the club recognised what you have done  and what goes on here?
Posted by: GrimRob, May 21, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from BeijingMariner
i dont know why but the love on this thread makes me feel weak. i wont say close to tears coz thats not possible, but, yeah, weak. great place, great team. im home sick. count me in, maybe for more. plus i like the idea of the club taking this on and running with it, cheaper season tickets, discounts at the bar, McMennemys discounts, all that stuff........all the ideas are there. Grimrob, this is your site, why not ask for a meet with the suits? let's be honest, as negative as this site can get sometimes, over the course of the years you have set up something that is a real tour de force, a voice of the fans.....the GT follows your lead, the fans organise amazing shyt with themes through here......maybe its time the club recognised what you have done  and what goes on here?

All I have really done is provided the plumbing for others to express their views and show their support for the club.I was dreading what the Fishy was going to be like if we lost but it couldn't have been more different to what I imagined. The Trust really is the organisation to interact with the football club and provide fan input and we'll be hearing soon of their latest initiatives. I have given my views to them on how I think their scheme should work, plus I am sure they read what is on here as a way of gauaging the mood amongst the wider fan base, and I am happy to back whatever they come up with.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 21, 2015, 7:50pm; Reply: 95
I'm in
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 21, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 96
We need to raise at least £50,000 so we can get an extra player in,

If we can reach somewhere near that total then I am in,

If we only manage £10,000 what would that amount do to the budget ?

I do not want to put a damper on things,

BUT

Anything less than £50,000 would not bring us that extra player.

So we need 500 pledges,

Come on we can do it,

Mind you if someone like David Ross donated £100,000,

He would not even notice it had gone out of his bank account.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 21, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

So we need 500 pledges,

Come on we can do it,

That would be if we were trying to secure a top earner, someone on more than anyone else.

Only my view but any contribution would be welcome. If we end up with £10k that would help.
I for one wouldn't want us to have funded One player in Particular. That could be very divisive. For every Carl Magnay there is. a signing that doesn't work out. The last thing anyone needs is a flop designated as THE player bought by fans. I would rather we contribute a little to the whole squad but ultimately that will be decided by others
Posted by: coxy, May 21, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 98
Very happy to donate although think I would only manage £50 sadly being an expensive few weeks and need work a hell of a lot to afford much more... Please let me know when I am all for it

Let's show them we are town for a reason

Utm
Posted by: LH, May 21, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 99
£10k on a fee or wages could be the difference between getting a target or not getting them. Bogle for example.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 21, 2015, 10:06pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from BIGChris

Only my view but any contribution would be welcome. If we end up with £10k that would help.
I for one wouldn't want us to have funded One player in Particular. That could be very divisive. For every Carl Magnay there is. a signing that doesn't work out. The last thing anyone needs is a flop designated as THE player bought by fans. I would rather we contribute a little to the whole squad but ultimately that will be decided by others

I know what you mean. If we get in seven players instead of six as an example then all that needs to be said is that the fans' contributions have enabled an extra signing to be made. Personally I trust PH to spend wisely, not every player is going to work out, but he's doing this for a few years now and he knows the sort of player that will fit in with his ideas and with the crowd.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 21, 2015, 11:04pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

So we need 500 pledges,

Come on we can do it,

I don't really agree with that.

Even if we raised 10k that would still be a massive help, even 5k.

For all we know it could be that 5k that made the difference to whether we get a world class player ( Non-League Wise ) or not.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 21, 2015, 11:24pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from nickmariners
Apologies if this already suggested - don't have time to read whole thread at the moment.

Consider selling longer-term season tickets to those who can afford them: 2 year, 3 year, 5 year, even longer.

Benefit to buyer would be price 'inflation-proofed' plus - helping GTFC with cashflow available to spend now.

Benefit to club would be cash-in-hand to help with player investment now.

Edit. PS:  I'm in

The disbenefit is that if the club uses that money now it won't have it in future years when people turn up with their season ticket but the money was spent in 2015-16.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 21, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from coxy
Very happy to donate although think I would only manage £50 sadly being an expensive few weeks and need work a hell of a lot to afford much more... Please let me know when I am all for it

Let's show them we are town for a reason

Utm

There's no 'only' about it mate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 21, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from psgmariner

Donations direct to a private company can be seen as income and may be taxable. Hope this has been considered.

Anyway I'm in but don't tell my wife.

Maybe that's where the idea of some kind of fund to buy season tickets for under-priveleged kids comes in. The money goes into a charity, the charity buys season tickets, club gets the money. Only the VAT on the tickets comes off?

If it's a registered charity then it qualifies for Gift Aid and 25% gets added by the tax man, compensating for the VAT.

I'm not an accountant so could well be wrong about this.
Posted by: nickmariners, May 21, 2015, 11:43pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The disbenefit is that if the club uses that money now it won't have it in future years when people turn up with their season ticket but the money was spent in 2015-16.

Clearly.  Though I didn't think it was necessary to spell it out.

The point was to suggest a way for the club to get a little more cash-in-hand 'today', to invest in players to help get us promotion this coming season, and with it the extra cash that comes along with promotion to mitigate against any future income shortfall from taking those revenues 'early'.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 22, 2015, 7:28am; Reply: 106
Has male private Barton pledged yet? ;).  Thought as such a firm supporter of hurst and particularly John fenty he would have been at the head of the queue!

Ps having had a bit of a result following vecturas excellent results and share price increase, I' m in

Pps what about someone going 'dutch' with coxy and matching up his £50?

Pps just tallied it up and mine is the 50 th pledge so that's 5k in a matter of days with no Facebook Twitter,club, get or trust publicity
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 22, 2015, 8:03am; Reply: 107
Like the gullable male masturbator I am..

IM IN but only as others have said it goes towards the transfer fund thingy.
Posted by: fazer11, May 22, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 108
I think it should go towards the transfer fund. Would the money go towards paying a fee for a player or would it go to getting someone on a free? Any amount of money would help. I haven't got a clue on what wages we are paying our players but a player on £800 a week would cost £41,600 for a whole season on wages. This would be just under 40k depending on when they sign.
Posted by: Daz460, May 22, 2015, 4:37pm; Reply: 109
I'm in! Let's keep this Town together UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 23, 2015, 12:06am; Reply: 110
Quoted from nickmariners

Clearly.  Though I didn't think it was necessary to spell it out.

The point was to suggest a way for the club to get a little more cash-in-hand 'today', to invest in players to help get us promotion this coming season, and with it the extra cash that comes along with promotion to mitigate against any future income shortfall from taking those revenues 'early'.

Why not point it out? Some people might not have twigged it.

I knew what you was suggesting was a way to bring in cash early. But it's a dangerous strategy in my view. It's risky because promotion might not come and you've spunked all the money. Even if you win promotion you still might not get enough money the following season to compensate for the loss of the (pre-paid) season tickets, and you will probably have to pay higher wages to boot. And to cap it all the club's sold season tickets at 2015 prices when it might need to raise prices in 2016, so just when it really needs to raise more money its hands are tied.

No, mortgaging the future is a nicht nicht.
Posted by: H19P1, May 23, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 111
Can anyone advise me how I can invest this £100 into the club to help with transfer funds?
Posted by: SumatraMariner, May 23, 2015, 9:30am; Reply: 112
Can anyone advise me how I can invest this £100 into the club to help with transfer funds?

THIS
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 23, 2015, 9:33am; Reply: 113
Quoted from SumatraMariner

THIS

It's in the thread mate, the Trust will make an announcement in a day or two.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 23, 2015, 9:34am; Reply: 114
Quoted from SumatraMariner

THIS

You can't, yet!

I understand the Trust and club are working on it and hopefully an announcement and details will be in public domain very soon.

MAYBE the announcement has been delayed with the club wanting to get season tkt prices out first. Best not to get all the good news out at once rather than staggering it for maximum effect??
Posted by: bluebottle, May 23, 2015, 5:56pm; Reply: 115
I'm in for £100.
Posted by: LostInSpace, May 24, 2015, 7:55pm; Reply: 116
hi ,its the intruding gas head again, watching your great impetus to help your club with great interest, not sure how it could work within the monetary restrictions tho', there is a sort of similar thing at the rovers where supporters are banging in a tenner each , this helps in the sponsorship of players across the club, i will post a link to it for your perusal  [hopefully it will work] so if you cannot make the £100 donation directly to the playing fund as in this thread, then the money you have raised may help the club in another way,,,, otherwise you can tell me to just stop intruding
http://gaschat.co.uk/board/22/fans-forum-sponsor-club  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 24, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 117
Cheers LiS.

Waiting to see what comes out of the Mariners Trust's deliberations. Maybe they'll come to similar conclusions to you lot.

I think the idea to buy season tickets for kids might be the way round any restrictions on donations direct to the club as it as it'll be cash in the form of gate receipts.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 25, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 118
Another thing around the restrictions is,

We buy £100 of shares each,

BUT

We will wait and see what the trust says.
Posted by: Caesar, May 26, 2015, 6:31pm; Reply: 119
Missed this thread as don't notice the sticky posts!

Got to agree with other fans though, the reaction to this has really made me feel a bit oddly emotionally and very proud.

Personally I am not in a great financial situation at the moment and am trying to save up so I can go to as many games as possible next season, for that reason I would like to pledge a little less, perhaps like Forza suggests go 50/50 with coxy, maybe later in the year when we have more cash we can top it up?  Anyway will wait to see what the Trust suggests but count me in for at least some money to this pledge, hope we can pull it off!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 26, 2015, 8:55pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Caesar
Missed this thread as don't notice the sticky posts!

Got to agree with other fans though, the reaction to this has really made me feel a bit oddly emotionally and very proud.

Personally I am not in a great financial situation at the moment and am trying to save up so I can go to as many games as possible next season, for that reason I would like to pledge a little less, perhaps like Forza suggests go 50/50 with coxy, maybe later in the year when we have more cash we can top it up?  Anyway will wait to see what the Trust suggests but count me in for at least some money to this pledge, hope we can pull it off!

Well done Caesar.maybe this can encourage one or two others to ' share-a-pledge'. No reason why a group of 2,3 or 4 couldn't pledge 100 between them
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 121
I would be shocked if only pledges of £100 were sought.

Every penny counts IMO whether it is £100, or £1
Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 122
This thread reminds me of The Widow’s Offfering. The amount we give is all relative.

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
Posted by: lukeo, May 28, 2015, 8:38am; Reply: 123
Can we edit it and all chip in to get Carl Magnay a hire car for the season and pay someone to sit with him on his journey's so he's not alone ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 28, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 124
Quoted from BIGChris
I would be shocked if only pledges of £100 were sought.

Every penny counts IMO whether it is £100, or £1

I think the Trust should get a move on Chris,

The feel good factor has already left some fans,

The doom and gloom merchants are starting to return to the Fishy.
Posted by: bax, May 28, 2015, 10:28am; Reply: 125
Pete - if it was that easy the Trust would click their collective fingers and do a lot of things! So much work has gone into this from a lot of people. Only a few more days to wait!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 28, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 126
Quoted from bax
Pete - if it was that easy the Trust would click their collective fingers and do a lot of things! So much work has gone into this from a lot of people. Only a few more days to wait!

It was not a criticism Bax, I was just pointing out the feel good factor is draining away.
Posted by: bax, May 28, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 127
Quoted from grimsby pete

It was not a criticism Bax, I was just pointing out the feel good factor is draining away.

I wouldn't take a small minority of people as a barometer for feelgood factor. Let's see what happens in the next few days!

Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 128
Surely the feel good factor is alive and well and the timing of the #operationpromotion in the next few days (?) looks good. I hope it is very successful whatever form it takes.

It may be pay day for some so dont forget this;

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/cat/membership/
Posted by: LH, May 29, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 129
Payday for me so I signed up for another year and also up front for a year's worth of 100 Club draws.
Posted by: springstomind, May 29, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 130
Anyone know where we're at with this and how I can donate to the player fund etc. Not seen an update in few days, not being impatient just want to help and not read this thread in a few days.
Posted by: bax, May 29, 2015, 4:37pm; Reply: 131
Anyone know where we're at with this and how I can donate to the player fund etc. Not seen an update in few days, not being impatient just want to help and not read this thread in a few days.

All will be revealed on Monday.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 132
How much is it to join the trust please? Really want to sign me and my two children up! #UTM
Posted by: BIGChris, May 29, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
How much is it to join the trust please? Really want to sign me and my two children up! #UTM

£12pa by standing order (15 via PayPal) for an adult and £5 for each child. Go to http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 134
Thanks Chris
Posted by: brigg_mariner, May 30, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 135
I'm in.

Already a trust member. 8)
Posted by: springstomind, May 30, 2015, 12:08pm; Reply: 136
Regardless if how it is done... A way to track and view the total amount raised would certainly persuade more and more people to donate on even donate more.. When you see that total figure rising and rising it fills you with a sense of achievement and spurs more and more people on to make the "target sum" hopefully however it is done, us fans can view the sum as it rises.
Posted by: bax, May 30, 2015, 1:21pm; Reply: 137
Regardless if how it is done... A way to track and view the total amount raised would certainly persuade more and more people to donate on even donate more.. When you see that total figure rising and rising it fills you with a sense of achievement and spurs more and more people on to make the "target sum" hopefully however it is done, us fans can view the sum as it rises.

I guess you'll find out on Monday  ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 138
55 pledges now
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2015, 2:09pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from forza ivano
55 pledges now

I have 3 more by email. Remember huge numbers of Fishy readers (the "lurkers") can't post. If you would like to be able to post all you have to do is send an e-mail to rob@thefishy.co.uk asking to be registered.

Once the Trust start collecting pledges I'm hoping quite a few lurkers will come forward as well.
Posted by: bax, May 31, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 140
Just to confirm this is being launched by the Grimsby Telegraph tomorrow morning, both in paper and online. Everything should make sense then and hopefully people will understand why it's taken a few days to get sorted!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 31, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 141
I really hope the fans really get behind the campaign. If we shift an extra 250 season tickets and raise 50k from the fundraising via trust membership and various trust initiatives. What an massive impact we could have on the season before it even starts and sign that extra bit of quality to separate us from the rest
Posted by: bax, June 1, 2015, 7:50am; Reply: 142
Now launched. All details here:

http://thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1433141407/
Posted by: BIGChris, June 1, 2015, 8:05am; Reply: 143
Now time to put money were your mouth is ;)

Lets get thisup & running and smash the target

With the generous £ for £ matching from the Mullens a minimum of £40k can make a difference to #operationpromotion
Posted by: nickmariners, June 1, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 144
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Why not point it out? Some people might not have twigged it.

I knew what you was suggesting was a way to bring in cash early. But it's a dangerous strategy in my view. It's risky because promotion might not come and you've spunked all the money. Even if you win promotion you still might not get enough money the following season to compensate for the loss of the (pre-paid) season tickets, and you will probably have to pay higher wages to boot. And to cap it all the club's sold season tickets at 2015 prices when it might need to raise prices in 2016, so just when it really needs to raise more money its hands are tied.

No, mortgaging the future is a nicht nicht.

It's about present cashflow and risk v reward.   If a customer wants to pay for longer term 'membership' today, that is attractive to most vendors of any goods and services.

By extending your logic, even a regular annual season ticket is the wrong kind of lock-in, a "nicht nicht".

Anyhow - I'm saving my pennies for the Trust pledge this week.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:10pm