Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 19, 2015, 11:25am
Paul Walker just tweeted that he is leaving .....another great young talent let go
Posted by: LH, May 19, 2015, 11:28am; Reply: 1
GET Headlines of tomorrow: "Defender Walks"
Posted by: Fishfinger, May 19, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 2
Good luck Paul
Posted by: Maringer, May 19, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 3
Always looked OK to me on the odd occasions I've seen him play but never made the breakthrough with Bignot, Parslow and even Toto preferred at full-back this season.

Southwell has shown you can rebuild your career after being released so good luck to him.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 19, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 4
Bit disappointing that we offer these supposedly promising youth team players a contract, and they never really get an opportunity in the first team. Is it a case of they're not good enough, or they've not being given the chance to develop? Or even that we're taking a punt on them reaching the required standard in the space of a single season?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 19, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 5
Good luck to the lad,

I am sure he will get fixed up with a club ( Boston ) ?
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 6
Good luck Paul. Shame you didn't really get a chance to show what you can do.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 19, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 7
We just don't have the means to develop players without a reserve team. The odd Trophy game here and there is all they can hope for. Unless they are ready to go straight in the first team, then there's not much point in having them in the Conference. Had we got back in the league, then things would be different, with more money to spend and a viable second string set of fixtures. It's imperative we get out of this boghole ASAP.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 19, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 8
Guess todays the day of reckoning for the squad. Gonna know more as the day goes on! Good luck paul
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 19, 2015, 11:46am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Chrisblor
Bit disappointing that we offer these supposedly promising youth team players a contract, and they never really get an opportunity in the first team. Is it a case of they're not good enough, or they've not being given the chance to develop? Or even that we're taking a punt on them reaching the required standard in the space of a single season?

In Walker's case he's arguably suffered because of how superb Magnay has been all season.

I completely agree about the single season bit though.  Not enough time, never will be.  Unfortunately it's a reflection of the funding gap at this level.  Much more money needs to filter down to lads emerging from the youth to ensure they don't drift out of the game after a single year.  

In the case of Town, it could well be that the saving from the likes of Walker, Winnfarah, Humble etc. will be enough to keep a Gowling.  Short term thinking but ultimately if it gets us out this league no-one will complain.
Posted by: GTFCNiles, May 19, 2015, 11:57am; Reply: 10
Best of luck to the lad, hasn't been given a chance to develop but in our current situation we can't afford to give them time for the small chance that they will be the next Ryan Bennet.

Nice lad, with his head screwed on, sure he will find somewhere to develop and maybe exceed from what town could offer him.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 19, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 11
I am surprised as I thought looking at the budget he would have been part of a mix of youth and experience in next years squad.

Looked like a good prospect and a local lad too, good luck to him!!
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 12
Would have liked Paul to be given a chance but agree that a year is never enough.

Everything I hear  about Walker is his attitude is absolutely A+++ with an amazing work ethos. Hopefully he sticks with it and gets a club, maybe Nth Ferriby???
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 19, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 13
As him being my best mate can say he is absolutely gutted, best lad who I have lined up with in regards to training and attitude. Hope he gets his chance elsewhere and the town fans get to see a little glimpse of him again
Posted by: denni266, May 19, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 14
Not getting promoted will have its knock on affects . not only on players but i cant see how it will not affect the new ground, we needed to get out this hell hole  of a league but i cant see that going to happen now .
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 19, 2015, 12:57pm; Reply: 15
You only had to look at the programme on Sunday to see how ludicrously large out squad was by end of season.  If we want to keep the 1st team squad, we need to trim around the edges - even the seemingly 'cheap' players.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from denni266
Not getting promoted will have its knock on affects . not only on players but i cant see how it will not affect the new ground, we needed to get out this hell hole  of a league but i cant see that going to happen now .

You can't see us getting out this league now? Why?

IMO absolutely no reasons why we cant get up next season. Budget will at least match what we had to start this season, positivity from the fans  which hopefully will translate into bigger gate receipts.

The vasy majority are positive about kicking on but i guess there are always a few
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from BIGChris

IMO absolutely no reasons why we cant get up next season. Budget will at least match what we had to start this season, positivity from the fans  which hopefully will translate into bigger gate receipts.

The vasy majority are positive about kicking on but i guess there are always a few

I know it's a lot to ask but it would be amazing if the Mullen's could help with a war chest next season. I've just renewed my Mariners Trust membership and would encourage everyone else to sign up. If there are any ideas for fans fundraising I'd be interested in getting involved too. We can't let this positivity and seige mentality go to waste.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from gtfc98

I know it's a lot to ask but it would be amazing if the Mullen's could help with a war chest next season. I've just renewed my Mariners Trust membership and would encourage everyone else to sign up. If there are any ideas for fans fundraising I'd be interested in getting involved too. We can't let this positivity and seige mentality go to waste.

Putting something together after talking to the Trust?Club this morning. Hopefuuly have a fundraiser up and running before weekend
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 1:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from BIGChris

Putting something together after talking to the Trust?Club this morning. Hopefuuly have a fundraiser up and running before weekend

great news. Hopefully we can all make a difference next season
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 19, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from BIGChris

There's always positivity, such as the Neil Woods will keep us up brigade, the Hurst will get us up this season brigade and look where we still are.
Posted by: oldun, May 19, 2015, 2:09pm; Reply: 21
If we are not keeping Paul then I guess the other 2 first year pros will be going too. It is a shame but because there are limited playing options here then they need to go elsewhere to progress their careers. They are a victim of circumstances but if they are good enough and work hard they will still have a chance of making a career in the game.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 19, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 22
the club tweeted 2 hrs ago that we will find out later who stays, who goes, and who has been offered a new deal
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 19, 2015, 2:22pm; Reply: 23
Sorry to see him go, and you have got to feel for the lad.  Hopefully he will get some where and get sorted, so many good players fall by the way side through no fault of their own.
Posted by: chaos33, May 19, 2015, 2:29pm; Reply: 24
I think he might get something at Harrogate Town in Cinference North after his loan there last season and the Macca link.
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 19, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 25
why is it that every post on here turns into a rant at the Manager ?? Do you think he is enjoying himself today ? Do you think he slept much last night ?   Have some bloody respect for a Manager and his players that have given their everything this last season .
Posted by: ackomariner, May 19, 2015, 2:54pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from fleabag1970
why is it that every post on here turns into a rant at the Manager ?? Do you think he is enjoying himself today ? Do you think he slept much last night ?   Have some bloody respect for a Manager and his players that have given their everything this last season .

You tell em..... :P
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 19, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from oldun
If we are not keeping Paul then I guess the other 2 first year pros will be going too. It is a shame but because there are limited playing options here then they need to go elsewhere to progress their careers. They are a victim of circumstances but if they are good enough and work hard they will still have a chance of making a career in the game.

It makes you wonder whether there is any point in having a youth set up at this level and the costs involved, when over the past few seasons there has been a large influx of loan players being preferred to those youth players that had been brought into the first team squad.

Posted by: acko338, May 19, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 28
One of the reasons to lose fringe and ex-youth players on one year cheap contracts surely must be to look for our own Lee Gregory or Jamie Vardy.

We need to scout out talent that can work at this level and then be wanted further up the leagues - I believe that Halifax wanted £50,000 for Vardy, knowing that he could rise with his own efforts up to a much higher level - his sheer pace and control makes him a nightmare for premier league players when he chases lost causes.

Where is our next golden nugget ?
Posted by: bax, May 19, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from acko338
One of the reasons to lose fringe and ex-youth players on one year cheap contracts surely must be to look for our own Lee Gregory or Jamie Vardy.

We need to scout out talent that can work at this level and then be wanted further up the leagues - I believe that Halifax wanted £50,000 for Vardy, knowing that he could rise with his own efforts up to a much higher level - his sheer pace and control makes him a nightmare for premier league players when he chases lost causes.

Where is our next golden nugget ?

We had one - Liam Hearn. He got injured and didn't work out. We tried to get another last season in Bogle, he wouldn't come.

Hurst has tended to do well in the transfer market and brought in some good players from this league or lower - McKeown, Pearson, Magnay etc etc
Posted by: Hagrid, May 19, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 30
But several fringe players are likely to be released - and there may even be one or two surprise departures.

Young defender Paul Walker confirmed he has been released earlier today.

Keep checking this site today for breaking news

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/staying-going-Grimsby-Town/story-26531634-detail/story.html#ixzz3ab0qQyAF
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook
taken from the telegraph
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 19, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 31
Pretty sure that's a load of speculative clickbait bullshit from the bastion of quality journalism that is the telegraph.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 4:42pm; Reply: 32
Just a hunch, but I reckon Scott Brown might have gone.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 19, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 33
I reckon Diz may have been released.

Really tough on him and that would have been the most difficult decision Hurst has ever made I guess.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I reckon Diz may have been released.

Really tough on him and that would have been the most difficult decision Hurst has ever made I guess.

can't see that myself sam, brown is the far more likely out of the 2. having said that i do wonder how much we can rely on disley next year.he isn't getting any younger, although i have to say that i think this latter part of the season he has played the best that i have seen him.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 19, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 35
1. There's no way that Diz could be released unless he wants to go . He's been our most consistent player since the new year turn around in form and would be almost impossible to replace at this level .

2. The club may as well mothball the youth set up for the foreseeable future as there doesn't seem to be any players coming through and the club could use the money better scouting the non league pyramid
Posted by: mariner91, May 19, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 36
I'd be amazed if Disley leaves, he's been very consistent since the turn of the year.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 37
I would be very surprised to see Disley go. For me he's had his best season yet
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 38
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/retained-list-2462590.aspx
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 19, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from gtfc98
I would be very surprised to see Disley go. For me he's had his best season yet

Disley will only leave this club to either retire or sign for a part time team as he is settled and studying to be an accountant. His goals will be missed when he eventually leaves.
Posted by: Grimal, May 19, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from gtfc98

I think it's about what we all expected,hope most take on the offer to re-sign.

Posted by: denni266, May 19, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from arryarryarry

There's always positivity, such as the Neil Woods will keep us up brigade, the Hurst will get us up this season brigade and look where we still are.

exactly BC usually dissagrees with what i have said in the past, and who is right.. we are still down here where we was when woods was in charge. i am still sticking to my guns, Hurst is great at setting up for away points, but at home . well thats where we have fallen down under him. i still say he will not take us up imo.
Posted by: mariner91, May 19, 2015, 6:29pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Disley will only leave this club to either retire or sign for a part time team as he is settled and studying to be an accountant. His goals will be missed when he eventually leaves.

And his beautiful ginger hair.
Posted by: Tommy, May 19, 2015, 6:31pm; Reply: 43
I would've liked to have seen a bit more of Walker, but as BigChris (I think) said, Magnay has had a brilliant season predominantly at right back so there hasn't realistically been much room for manoeuvre there.

But if there's one thing Hurst can do, it's spot a good defender, so I'm willing to trust him on this one.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:16pm