Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 18, 2015, 8:24pm
Shaun has tweeted:

"Would just like to say I thought the fans were incredible yesterday. Unfortunately we couldn't quite finish the job off.  I am however immensely proud to have been part of this squad and couldn't have asked to be a part of a better group of players."

Reads like goodbye to me. Hope not.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 18, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 1
I got that feeling too!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 18, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 2
I think Josh Gowling coming was possibly insurance just in case............Would be gutted to see him go but if he gets an offer in the league I would wish him well.  
Posted by: Caesar, May 18, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 3
Think all the players are putting out nice messages but that could be read as goodbye. Craig Clay did one but then tweeted that it wasn't a goodbye tweet.

However do think he will be in demand higher up and cannot begrudge him if he does go. Would love him to stay and still hope he does but fear he will have offers too good to turn down.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 18, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Caesar
Think all the players are putting out nice messages but that could be read as goodbye. Craig Clay did one but then tweeted that it wasn't a goodbye tweet.

However do think he will be in demand higher up and cannot begrudge him if he does go. Would love him to stay and still hope he does but fear he will have offers too good to turn down.

Agree with this.

I really want Shaun to stay, a vital player BUT I know he is very keen to play in the FL. He hoped it would be with Town but having been beaten 3 years running in the play offs I wouldn't begrudge him if he took an opportunity.

IF he goes to league club I am sure he would go with the best wishes of the vast majority of fans. Rumours that Russ Wilcox at York is keen but hopefully he will stay were he is appreciated and loved!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 18, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from BIGChris

Agree with this.

I really want Shaun to stay, a vital player BUT I know he is very keen to play in the FL. He hoped it would be with Town but having been beaten 3 years running in the play offs I wouldn't begrudge him if he took an opportunity.

IF he goes to league club I am sure he would go with the best wishes of the vast majority of fans. Rumours that Russ Wilcox at York is keen but hopefully he will stay were he is appreciated and loved!

He's possibly better than York TBH...........

Posted by: chaos33, May 18, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 6
I don't see it as goodbye. Things will have moved pretty quickly if it is, unless Shaun and the club agreed that he could leave if we weren't promoted, and he doesn't strike me as that kind of pro - to say some kind of cryptic goodbye that would pre-empt the club's official communication on the matter. Think a bit of insecurity is making people read a subtext that might not even be there. Anyway, what do we know. All in good time.
Posted by: GyMariner, May 18, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 7
The way I interpret it is that he is proud of the squad because he knows some will be leaving. Doesn't mean he himself is leaving! Even though players like ross and paddy don't play much they are still part of the squad and largely contribute to the positive environmemt, players like ross have big characters!
Posted by: mariner91, May 18, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 8
I hope he stays, he's vital to the squad. Absolutely the best centre back in this league, in fact I don't think anyone gets close to him. Certainly capable of being a good defender in L2. If he does go though, as others have said, he'll leave with my best wishes.
Posted by: chaos33, May 18, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 9
Anyway, I'm sure the Twitterati will pester the life out of him to make his position clear, which he'll no doubt do in due course.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 18, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He's possibly better than York TBH...........

Born there and supported York as a kid as well so it wouldn't surprise me.
Posted by: LH, May 18, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 11
You can't really begrudge any player leaving to further their careers. If he goes good luck to him although I genuinely expected him to retire here to continue doing coaching and groundsmanning.
Posted by: gytone, May 18, 2015, 8:59pm; Reply: 12
I realise that's its league football, but York is almost a step backwards, I know we are in a league below, but we are a bigger club and could potentially be bigger, York only just stayed up and could struggle again this season coming  :-/
Posted by: chaos33, May 18, 2015, 9:03pm; Reply: 13
Oh give over
Posted by: moosey_club, May 18, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 14
Wouldnt be suprised, been pretty much the epitome of consistency since making the switch from part time Boston to full time Mariner and far and away my first name on the team sheet, deserves a chance to test/show his ability at a higher level and would wish him well.
Has developed himself this season with a much improved dissent record and has been inputting with the juniors/youths too.

Hope not but a warm welcome should we ever cross paths again.  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 18, 2015, 9:17pm; Reply: 15
Have to say that I read it as goodbye. Really hope I'm wrong.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 18, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 16
Shaun stands out in this league because not only is he at least one league better he is Mr consistency and this is my big worry.

We have failed to go up the best players will be tempted by league two clubs even the likes of Bristol Rovers and Barnet know we have one or two players well capable of making the step up and no one could blame them for wanting league football.

This would mean the nucleus would be gone and almost a total team rebuil would be needed.It as taken 5 seasons to get  a team willing and capable one look at Wrexham shows us although we already know how hard it is.  
Posted by: chaos33, May 18, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 17
My York City contact tells me that they've already got 3 very good centre backs and that this is their strongest position.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 18, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 18
I think people are reading more into it then necessary, let's wait until later this week. For all we know he may have already signed a contract. I hope so!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 19
Shaun's contribution has been immense at times this season. Seems to have lost that irritating knack of getting booked so often too. Not many central defenders at this level can take the ball out of defence like he can. And pretty comfortable with both feet. Deserves to play at a higher level. Hope it's with us.
Posted by: jaymariner, May 18, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 20
For the first time since the 2006 season I can honestly say I will be sad to see any of our players leave even the Hannah's and Mclaughlin's because each and every one of them has had a part to play in bringing the players, fans and club closer together. The feel good factor has finally been back this season and long may it continue
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 18, 2015, 9:46pm; Reply: 21
If he goes we would also lose our captain in waiting as I am sure he would be if and when Dis retires.
Posted by: Dan, May 18, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 22
If he has to leave, it'll make a nice change to see our players go up the league's rather than down.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 10:24pm; Reply: 23
Gowling and nsiala would be an interesting combination of pace and experience.gowlings coaching background and experience may well improve nsiala
Pearson is a great player at this level and may well be a decent enough div 2 player but I think that's about it. Certainly he's no Ryan Bennett or rob jones, he had too many deficiencies although you've got to give him lots of credit for improving his disciplinary record and distribution
Posted by: GrimRob, May 18, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 24
I don't read it as a personal goodbye necessarily. I think the players as a group have been very close and some of them are going to leave whatever happens so he's sad to see the group break up.
Posted by: sutton mariner, May 18, 2015, 10:56pm; Reply: 25
Magnay was adamant Shaun wouldn't leave even for a good offer, he absolutely loves it here. Think it would take league 1 for him to go.
Posted by: GTFCNiles, May 19, 2015, 12:25am; Reply: 26
Money talks, end of the day if someone can pay more they will be leaving, they have bills to pay and end of they day they ain't taking home super star wages of the prem. Wish them all the best if they do go but I hope not.
Posted by: Meza, May 19, 2015, 7:46am; Reply: 27
Arnold's been RH and said he has no agent and wants to stay at this 'great' club 😃  

Decisions about there futures made in 2 weeks time according to Arnold.  For me I'd like him to stay.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, May 19, 2015, 7:49am; Reply: 28
Agree Meza he had a tough start but I really want him to stay
Posted by: RoboCod, May 19, 2015, 8:05am; Reply: 29
I can't see how we could hang on to SP. He's been immaculate, if he stays it will be through the most extraordinary offering of loyalty ever. Good luck to Shaun in whatever he does.
Posted by: Bignic69, May 19, 2015, 8:36am; Reply: 30
Quoted from jaymariner
For the first time since the 2006 season I can honestly say I will be sad to see any of our players leave even the Hannah's and Mclaughlin's because each and every one of them has had a part to play in bringing the players, fans and club closer together. The feel good factor has finally been back this season and long may it continue

Down to the club to maintain this imo! Fans, players and staff seem to be pulling in the same direction now, club needs to get contracts offered to the existing squad asap which will show intent and keep everyone onside.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 19, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 31
No-one expected McKeown to stay last summer and he ended up signing the longest contract in god knows how long at this club, since Bradley Wood signed one back in the Football League?

I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving for more money, it's a short career and these guys have got to do what's best for themselves and their families.  They've given their absolute all this season so if the unfortunate does happen and they leave, I hope to god they go without the usual slating that comes when a player leaves for a better deal.

I get the feeling that it'll be an almost all or none scenario with regards keeping the players.  They all clearly love it here but if one or two go the rest will follow suit knowing the dressing room won't be the same.  Whereas if a few big characters can commit early doors, the vast majority will stay.
Posted by: oldun, May 19, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 32
If Shaun leaves, then I would try to sign Andy Boyce from up the road and try to do a deal with Gowling.
Posted by: Mariner1980, May 19, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 33
I hope Shaun stays, the lad is a hero. If he got an offer from a team above he should seriously think about it.
I'd hate to see him leave and end up a bit part player though, he deserves a game every week.
Posted by: chicaneuk, May 19, 2015, 10:43am; Reply: 34
Disappointing if Shaun goes but there's no doubt he's good enough to go higher. He's just such a solid, dependable defender. Be a big loss if he goes.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 19, 2015, 10:53am; Reply: 35
Let's hope Shaun stays loyal to Grimsby Town, He has been a rock this season and reminds me very much of young Mark Lever, I really hope Shaun stays because he would be really missed, He is a great leader and an excellent player to have in the team.

My fingers are well and truly crossed!  ;)
Posted by: topuphere666, May 19, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 36
I would love him to stay, he owed Hurst/Scott a bit of loyalty when they gambled on bringing him up a division from Boston in 2011 (IIRC)

He has certainly repaid that to the club and to Hurst so I wouldn't begrudge him should a higher positioned club came knocking with more cash.

Great player and great servant to the club - future captain if he stays for the long haul.
Posted by: Fishfinger, May 19, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 37
Paul Walker has left. He has just tweeted. Good luck to him.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 38
It's vital that Shaun stays but if he chooses to go who can blame him. He's 26 and probably needs to be moving up to league football now if he's ever going to. Will be gutted to see him go if he does.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 19, 2015, 2:24pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from oldun
If Shaun leaves, then I would try to sign Andy Boyce from up the road and try to do a deal with Gowling.

I've no idea how he well he did, but he made nearly 30 appearances 2 divisions higher so I can't see it.
Posted by: oldun, May 19, 2015, 2:28pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Abdul19

I've no idea how he well he did, but he made nearly 30 appearances 2 divisions higher so I can't see it.

I know but I got the impression overall they were poor in central defence, so I thought they may look to change personnel. I do not know if his contract is up either, but would be fine with us if he would drop down.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 19, 2015, 2:29pm; Reply: 41
i personally think he will want to stay.

he lives here, and also coaches 1 of the academy teams.

but if a league 2 team comes in with more money, then i wouldn't blame him
Posted by: Rick12, May 19, 2015, 2:29pm; Reply: 42
Think if the money is right and he knows he is appreciated here may stay.
Posted by: oldun, May 19, 2015, 2:33pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from oldun

I know but I got the impression overall they were poor in central defence, so I thought they may look to change personnel. I do not know if his contract is up either, but would be fine with us if he would drop down.

Just read that his contract continues next season.
Posted by: Rick12, May 19, 2015, 2:36pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Meza
Arnold's been RH and said he has no agent and wants to stay at this 'great' club 😃  
Encouraging

Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 2:37pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from oldun

Just read that his contract continues next season.

Where did you read that mate? I'm sure it's up this year. In fact I think they're all out of contract except McKeown
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 2:38pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from gtfc98

Where did you read that mate? I'm sure it's up this year. In fact I think they're all out of contract except McKeown

Think Oldun was refering to Boyce at Scunny???
Posted by: gtfc98, May 19, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 47
Sorry, thought you were referring to Pearson. Not a chance Boyce will drop 2 divisions IMO
Posted by: oldun, May 19, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from BIGChris

Think Oldun was refering to Boyce at Scunny???

Yes I was, sorry for any confusion
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 10:53am