Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 10:49am
hate to be a killjoy but we would have to buck the historical trend if we were to go up as champs in the season following a play off defeat.
the only team to have done it in the 12 years of play off finals were Exeter about 10 years ago.generally the record is appalling;very few even get back into the play offs the next year.
still, brizzell have bucked the trend of bouncing straight back up so let's hope we follow their lead
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 1
Quoted from forza ivano
hate to be a killjoy but we would have to buck the historical trend if we were to go up as champs in the season following a play off defeat.
the only team to have done it in the 12 years of play off finals were Exeter about 10 years ago.generally the record is appalling;very few even get back into the play offs the next year.
still, brizzell have bucked the trend of bouncing straight back up so let's hope we follow their lead

Wrexham never recovered from the season they finished second with 98 points. A total which would win the league outright most seasons. Big job to do this summer because the only way we can improve next year is to go all the way.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 18, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 2
Quoted from forza ivano

Every year we have done a little better than the year before. if that trend continues it's hard to imagine how we could fail to go up (I suppose we could lose something like 6-5 on pens)
Posted by: pizzzza, May 18, 2015, 12:30pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

Every year we have done a little better than the year before.

I'd argue that 2012/13 was better than 2013/14.
Posted by: Rick12, May 18, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 4
Stats are stats and are there to be broken.Think with this club and the big fan base in this league and a ever improving manager Iam hopeful of coming back stronger and better for next season
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 18, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 5
I think the league will be weaker next year too.

Barnet were always going to be a threat because of their geographical base and the fact that Allen is a very, very good manager at this level.

Bristol Rovers are a monster club at this level.  

Tranmere and Cheltenham, especially Tranmere, are in a rude awakening next year.  Don't see either club challenging.  Eastleigh and Forest Green will throw money at it again but no doubt at old timers.
Posted by: ska face, May 18, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano
hate to be a killjoy...

bullshit.
Posted by: Jaws, May 18, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 7
Bucking a ten year trend just like Bristol did in going straight back up. Have some bloody belief!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 18, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 8
Like Rick says these things are there to be broken. Also, how relevant is the form of different groups of players in different seasons to how we do in 2015/16?
Posted by: GrimRob, May 18, 2015, 1:20pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from pizzzza

I'd argue that 2012/13 was better than 2013/14.

We finished fourth both years,but at least drew the first play-off game in 2013/14 and didn't get the refereeing decisions in the second whereas in 2012/13 we lost them both without being able to blame the ref.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ska face

bullshit.

;D ;D ;D

tranmere may well be the biggest threat. don't think they're in crisis financially and gary brabin is a pretty decent appointment.might not like the bloke but he has the knowledge and previous success at this level to make them contenders
Posted by: Dan, May 18, 2015, 1:53pm; Reply: 11
I think the league is there for the taking next year. Every season we've been down here it seemed like there was always a team or two above us - Fleetwood, Luton, Crawley who could run away with it - and with only one automatic playoff spot you're kind of screwed if that happens. Next season, with Barnet and Bristol gone, we are that club.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 18, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GrimRob

We finished fourth both years,but at least drew the first play-off game in 2013/14 and didn't get the refereeing decisions in the second whereas in 2012/13 we lost them both without being able to blame the ref.

Finished 4th in both seasons yes and reached the play-off semis in both yes (how we got beat in the semis don't mean a thing). However, in the league more points in 12/13 with more goals scored and fewer conceded too. Throw in a trip to Wembley as well and it is clear that we acheived more in 12/13.
Posted by: Tom13, May 18, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pizzzza

Finished 4th in both seasons yes and reached the play-off semis in both yes (how we got beat in the semis don't mean a thing). However, in the league more points in 12/13 with more goals scored and fewer conceded too. Throw in a trip to Wembley as well and it is clear that we acheived more in 12/13.

You could argue we got much further in the FA Cup in 13/14 though?
Posted by: M4 County Exile, May 18, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from forza ivano

Well, i sincerely hope the Mariners do achieve promotion in 2016 and better still as champs. The club and particularly you supporters deserve it. I see Jolley has done little for the Mariners since his arrival. If only he'd done for you yesterday (had he played) what he did for us two years back in the same event. Best wishes.

Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 18, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from pizzzza

Are you joking? Promotion has always been our main target, and this season we have been closest to promotion than any other season since being in this dreaded league. So this season has to be the most successful season of the lot (since being in the conference), so far. Despite goals for or against and pointless trophy finals, and even the amount of points collected (which I did we not break a club record this season? Record being 83, but broken with this season's 86?). This season we has to be the closest to achieving promotion, of which has always been what we want to achieve?
Posted by: pizzzza, May 18, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from GiveUsAG

Are you joking? Promotion has always been our main target, and this season we have been closest to promotion than any other season since being in this dreaded league. So this season has to be the most successful season of the lot (since being in the conference), so far. Despite goals for or against and pointless trophy finals, and even the amount of points collected (which I did we not break a club record this season? Record being 83, but broken with this season's 86?). This season we has to be the closest to achieving promotion, of which has always been what we want to achieve?

Read the previous posts numbnuts the comparison was between 12/13 and 13/14, nothing to do with this season!
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 18, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pizzzza

Read the previous posts numbnuts the comparison was between 12/13 and 13/14, nothing to do with this season!

Oops. Sorry.  :B
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2015, 4:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob

I'd disagree about not blaming the ref

At 0-0 going in to the final minute at home to Newport, Aswad was clearly fouled yet the ref gave them the free kick from which they scored

Had we gone to their place even stevens who knows how that might have gone - we're pretty good at getting 1-0 away wins ourselves

But going to their place with that goal chalked up ( and which although defended poorly to allow them to score shouldn't have arisen in the first place) we were up against it more than we should have been

Oh almost forgot...the first person I saw to mention these stats wasn't you Forza but Alan Alger on Twitter not long after the game was over

Seems like he couldn't wait to twist his knife in to our wounds
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 21, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 19
Only just seen this tweet from Alan Alger

https://twitter.com/Alan_Alger_/status/599965192005517312

Immature sniping taking the pee  :-/
Posted by: LH, May 21, 2015, 2:23pm; Reply: 20
Alan Alger is still a male private head then. Forgot about his "expert" analysis being another negative of this league. The bloke's an idiot: tipped us for the title then claimed he'd backed Barnet all season before changing his mind to Bristol Rovers late on. The #outofthisleague thing obviously worked because it was talked about!
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 21, 2015, 2:48pm; Reply: 21
I've said it before we are following the exact same pattern as Wrexham. Mid table, mid table, P/O, P/O, P/O. They subsequently have had 2 more mediocre finishes but I'm confident we will get at least 4th again.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 21, 2015, 2:49pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from LH
Alan Alger is still a male private head then. Forgot about his "expert" analysis being another negative of this league. The bloke's an idiot: tipped us for the title then claimed he'd backed Barnet all season before changing his mind to Bristol Rovers late on. The #outofthisleague thing obviously worked because it was talked about!

The guy is an absolute class A helmet. How he'd employed is beyond me.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:25pm