Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, May 18, 2015, 8:00am
Fenty must invest this summer and not in January like he normally does when it is too late if we had Palmer all season we would have won the league. Hurst must also be more positive in games and not sit back when we get a lead in a match, we need to finish top of the league to go up we have to go all out for the title.

I hope Fenty does not release another negative statement about how we have lost money again etc etc and is a bit more positive and upbeat.

UTM.
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 18, 2015, 8:11am; Reply: 1
I think the key thing in the summer is to keep as much of this squad as possible together (minus the players nowhere near te Startin 11) with some wise additions in other areas.

You have to think that if can we do that we are going to be up there challenging for top spot.
Posted by: Maringer, May 18, 2015, 8:35am; Reply: 2
Don't know if many heard Hurst's post-match interview with Blunderside, but he indicated there that we couldn't have afforded our end of the season for the whole year. Obviously pushed the boat out a little with the January signings which almost paid off, but not quite.

It will be interesting to see how many of these players can be retained next season or, failing that, replaced with equivalents as capable.

It is very important that we don't end up short of strikers in the same way we did at the start of this season. Hurst obviously expected to sign at least one of his targets back then but the fact he wasn't able to cost us too many points.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 18, 2015, 9:21am; Reply: 3
Think it's not investment that will be the problem it's improving our pre season prep, said in another thread think we worry a bit too much about fitness more than the way we play, hopefully if we can keep most of the squad together we can start a season not trying out some new formation or style and start winning right away
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Maringer
Don't know if many heard Hurst's post-match interview with Blunderside, but he indicated there that we couldn't have afforded our end of the season for the whole year. Obviously pushed the boat out a little with the January signings which almost paid off, but not quite.

It will be interesting to see how many of these players can be retained next season or, failing that, replaced with equivalents as capable.

It is very important that we don't end up short of strikers in the same way we did at the start of this season. Hurst obviously expected to sign at least one of his targets back then but the fact he wasn't able to cost us too many points.

i was going to make this very point. think people have also forgotten the horrendous injury crisis we had going into the season, which couldn't have been foreseen, and affected us badly for the first 3-4 games.
one other point i was going to make:
i really hope that the positivity that has been engendered in the last 3 months can be translated into improved season ticket sales - that would make a huge difference to the budget possibilities
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 18, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 5
Time for Fenty to be brave and ambitious, with a stronger budget and a few key additions this team could win the league.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 18, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano

i was going to make this very point. think people have also forgotten the horrendous injury crisis we had going into the season, which couldn't have been foreseen, and affected us badly for the first 3-4 games.
one other point i was going to make:
i really hope that the positivity that has been engendered in the last 3 months can be translated into improved season ticket sales - that would make a huge difference to the budget possibilities

Think on the back of a good Wembley performance despite the loss they need to get the early bird prices out as early as possible and try and make the overall package a good one just try and capitalise on any increased interest as much as possible rather than doing the standard and then hoping for the best. Maybe do family packages if they don't already let kids cajole there parents into getting them
Posted by: grimps, May 18, 2015, 10:44am; Reply: 7
I've been saying that the title is won on the first half of the season performances , if for once we can come out of the blocks firing on all cylinders then we might have a chance . If we start next season with ten new players that are strangers to each other then I'd expect more of the same.give the manager the money now and not a week before the season starts or half way through it
Posted by: Rick12, May 18, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 8

Think on the back of a good Wembley performance despite the loss they need to get the early bird prices out as early as possible and try and make the overall package a good one just try and capitalise on any increased interest as much as possible rather than doing the standard and then hoping for the best. Maybe do family packages if they don't already let kids cajole there parents into getting them
Yes looking at how the team played yesterday and the massive support we brought made me proud to be supporting this team.I for one if the price was right would certainly be interested in buying a season ticket now whereas before no if I lived nearer the ground.The fans make the club and the more we can get in the better

Posted by: BIGChris, May 18, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 9
Some good points and for me the budget is key. I have always pleaded for sanity and not to overspend but I do think a push needs to made now if we are to ever get ourselves back up. There will be teams with bigger budgets. FGR paying players stupid sums but I hope we can all dig deep and support the club financially in their plans which in turn may get our benfactors to up their level of support.

I do know it is easy to spend other peoples money!

In our first season down here we had players on virtually double what most are on now. Unfortunately Woodsie was unable to spend the budget wisely enough.

Most on here have commented on Hursts eye for a player, most of his signings have done a good job but he has had to a slightly reduced budget each season (at least at the outset). I would take that into consideration in trying to boost the budget to enable PH to get the players in who he wants. His track record proves he will spend it more wisely that those in the past. I totally understand that JF has had his fingers burnt, and his wealth reduced, by handing managers budgets who have wasted it on journeymen and wasters

The Mullens share investement enabled us to get Robertson, Jolley and Palmer in and this, I assume, was in addition to the original budget.

I don tthink it will happen but I'd like the club to try and enginner a package to boost the playing staff and foster supporter relations/buy in. If we sell x number of the season tickets by 1st July the budget is y but if we can sell x plus 1000 the budget will go up by a certain figure. We certainly need to try and keep the positivity the fans have on board

I hope we can keep the strong defence but imo the big investemnt to win the league needs to come up front. We need more goals. I would certainly try to keep LJL, 20 goals in a season is excellent for someone who ' cant finish'!
Akinde make Barnet champions, we need a similar signing to add to what we hope to retain.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 18, 2015, 11:40am; Reply: 10
The thing is we played like we have done all season ,a very good defensive display coupled with an inability to break the oppositions defense down.What was particularly disappointing was the inability of our wingers to beat their man and appalling set piece delivery.
These have been our problems all season,and even with an outstanding defense if you cannot score the goals you are not going to win enough games
Posted by: Badger57, May 18, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 11
Yes, the truth is, although there was no lack of effort and the lads couldn't have tried any harder, we never really looked like scoring yesterday. There was never a point where I thought "we're going to score in a minute.
"
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 12
Think most of us have been saying the same all season. Lost count of the amount of times we started on fire but only managed one goal, then got caught by a sucker punch or two. We are right up there in shots on goal and corners/free kicks won but the conversion rate isn't good enough. If only Hearn had stayed fit but it always seems to come down to if only's with us.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 18, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 13
All though most of us have been saying it the problems have not been addressed the inability to deliver corners should have been addressed.Additionally our positioning at corners,most of the players congregate around the penalty spot .Someone needs to be positioned on the far edge of the box to run onto long balls.How many times have we seed corners either go straight into the goal keepers hands or over hit and go over everybodys head.These issues should have been addressed in training.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 18, 2015, 1:00pm; Reply: 14
Omar Bogle for me, push the boat out for next year while we have a good relationship with manager, fans and players. Resign most of the squad and let's have a bloody good crack at it again next year.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 18, 2015, 1:20pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Omar Bogle for me, push the boat out for next year while we have a good relationship with manager, fans and players. Resign most of the squad and let's have a bloody good crack at it again next year.

Agree with this. I do believe we will need a small squad. Players like Parslow and Magnay are very useful as they are versatile. I said on another thread we need a left-back, two midfielders, a creator and a goal scorer, a tricky winger (slimmer, hard-working, more consistent Scott Neilson) and a natural born goal scorer.

I've also said, as much as I rate Diz, it may be time for him to move on as he looked leggy yesterday and because he's a box to box midfielder he needs legs.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 18, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from SamTheMariner

I've also said, as much as I rate Diz, it may be time for him to move on as he looked leggy yesterday and because he's a box to box midfielder he needs legs.

About opinions isn't it - I thought Diz carried Brown yesterday who made poor pass after poor pass. We regained the midfield when Clay replaced him.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 18, 2015, 1:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

About opinions isn't it - I thought Diz carried Brown yesterday who made poor pass after poor pass. We regained the midfield when Clay replaced him.

Agreed. Diz was fine and I'd certainly be offering him a new deal along with Clay. Brown? No idea what money he is on  but think we can get someone who can get forward AND strong enough to do the defensive side too.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from friskneymariner
All though most of us have been saying it the problems have not been addressed the inability to deliver corners should have been addressed.Additionally our positioning at corners,most of the players congregate around the penalty spot .Someone needs to be positioned on the far edge of the box to run onto long balls.How many times have we seed corners either go straight into the goal keepers hands or over hit and go over everybodys head.These issues should have been addressed in training.

disagree with this - we often have players looping round to get back post headers; its actually quite a successful ploy that we have. agree that we made it too easy for their keeper who wasn't having avery good day
Posted by: LH, May 18, 2015, 1:50pm; Reply: 19
If it meant the difference between having a smaller budget and having a budget for a serious assault on the title I would happily pay an extra say £50 for my ST this season. I know many people couldn't do that so maybe we could look at crowd funding a decent bit of extra cash where people can give what they want to or can afford?
Posted by: WokingMariner, May 18, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from LH
If it meant the difference between having a smaller budget and having a budget for a serious assault on the title I would happily pay an extra say £50 for my ST this season. I know many people couldn't do that so maybe we could look at crowd funding a decent bit of extra cash where people can give what they want to or can afford?

Woking have a Boost the Budget thing where fans can set up a Direct Debit to supplement what they give to the club. We have loads of exiled supporters, possibly more as a percentage that virtually any other club. Loads of exiles would like to give GTFC more money but can't just because getting to more home games is a big ask on time and commitment.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 18, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from forza ivano

disagree with this - we often have players looping round to get back post headers; its actually quite a successful ploy that we have. agree that we made it too easy for their keeper who wasn't having avery good day

Not talking about backpost talking edge of the area so they can run onto the ball and add momentum to it a la Tees and Groves
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 18, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 22
We will be, where we are directed to be, by the dreams and ambitions of one John Fenty.

We need players in well before the season starts, these players need to be able to take the next step up in league football and they need to be good enough to win the league out right.

The fans of this club have shown the support is there, it's about time the investment followed suit.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 18, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 23
Life is about timing.  We bought Liam Hearn at the "wrong" time.  How we could do with his good finishing and 29 goals this season or for next season.

Next season we need to take more of the chances that we do create.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:29am