Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sydney, May 17, 2015, 9:31pm
Obviously devastated , thought we edged it but was not confident when it came to pens, always has a similar feel to England
Question is though, can anyone please clarify the rule about a keeper deliberately hand balling a goalbound effort outside the box regardless of when it happens in the game and regardless of the occasion.
Simply, does the letter of the law say red or yellow or refs interpretation
Come on Town!!

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 17, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 1
Red. That's all.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 17, 2015, 9:37pm; Reply: 2
Should have been off. Ref bottled it, what more is there to say...
Posted by: sydney, May 17, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 3
That's a real shame then as we really had them on the back foot at the time and if the laws of the game had been interpreted properly we might have had a different outcome
Proud of my team today
Come on Town!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 17, 2015, 9:44pm; Reply: 4
Ref got it wrong. Probably cost us promotion. Players must be sick.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 17, 2015, 9:56pm; Reply: 5
Straight red, it was goal bound and no chance of any player getting back to act as sweeper.  

The reason why the Ref bottled it was it was too early in the game and it was at their end, Linesman called it straight away.
Posted by: mike_d, May 17, 2015, 10:03pm; Reply: 6

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/11-v-11/interpretation%20of%20laws%202014-15/law-12---interpretation-of-the-laws-of-the-game-2014-15.ashx

A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring
opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment arises not from
the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but from the unacceptable
and unfair intervention that prevented a goal being scored.

There was a clear goalscoring opportunity. He should have gone.
Posted by: Dan, May 17, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 7
Spoke to some rovers fans on the tube and they said it was the clearest red they've ever seen. Can't dwell on what might have been though. The league is there for the taking next year. UTFM.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), May 18, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 8
He denied a a clear goal scoring opportunity, made himself big with hands out and saved outside the box with his right arm.

Ollie Palmers shot was bang on target and the Rovers player running into the box would never have caught it.

The clearest red card you will ever ever see.
Posted by: topuphere666, May 18, 2015, 9:30am; Reply: 9
His arm wasn't in a 'normal' position. It was out to the right.

Red card.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 10
You can't keep wittering on about whether the keeper should or should not have been sent off and use that for our failure to get promoted.

The reason we are still in this shite league are the crap performances against the poorer sides in this league especially early on in the season.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 11
Quoted from arryarryarry
You can't keep wittering on about whether the keeper should or should not have been sent off and use that for our failure to get promoted.

The reason we are still in this shite league are the crap performances against the poorer sides in this league especially early on in the season.

This. We simply have to be more ruthless. LJL finished 7th in the scoring charts with 18 and no other player for us made the final scoring charts. Both Barnet and Bristol had 2 in there and there is no doubt that Akindes' 31 goals won Barnet the league, because they weren't that good otherwise.

Go and get someone like Bogle or similar and let's get off to a flyer.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 18, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 12
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wholly accept that we dropped needless points against lesser teams BUT whether that incident happened at Wembley, Blundell Park or Bradley pitches, it was a red card which, in all probability, cost us promotion.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 18, 2015, 10:28am; Reply: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't think there's anything wrong about being drunk off with their keeper staying on the pitch. Obviously it's a case of 'what if', but certainly our chances of winning yesterday would have been significantly increased playing out 80 minutes against 10 men. I totally agree that we've dropped too many points this season against poor opponents, however that doesn't change the fact that a terrible refereeing decision has cost us yet again in the playoffs and I think it's fine to express frustration at that injustice.

Posted by: gtfc98, May 18, 2015, 10:38am; Reply: 14
For me if a keeper comes storming out of his penalty area and handles it it's a red card whether the shots on target or there are covering defenders. Bad decision but we move on a win this god awful hell hole of a league next year. Prove them all wrong.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 11:04am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Chrisblor

I don't think there's anything wrong about being drunk off with their keeper staying on the pitch. Obviously it's a case of 'what if', but certainly our chances of winning yesterday would have been significantly increased playing out 80 minutes against 10 men. I totally agree that we've dropped too many points this season against poor opponents, however that doesn't change the fact that a terrible refereeing decision has cost us yet again in the playoffs and I think it's fine to express frustration at that injustice.

It is pure speculation that if he had been sent off we would have won the game as they were down to 10 men, when in fact we were lucky not to be down to 10 men as well when Magnay could and probably should have been booked and then sent off for a second bookable offence.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 18, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 16
Getting a bit Back to the Future here, but if their keeper had gone off it would have been a totally different game rendering the situation with Magnay completely irrelevent.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, May 18, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 17
I thought the ref had a reasonable game overall. It was quite clear form the beginning he didnt want to have the game littered with cards and just gave some a talking to rather than get a yellow out.  I like that. Too many games get ruined by refs brandishing yellows early on and leading to inevitable reds.

Pearson could easily have been in trouble for grabbing their forward when he clashed with Macca. There were other instances for both sides.

When their guy went round Macca and went down my first thought was penalty and red card. I watched the tv coverage last night and it was a good spot by the ref- there may have been a slight touch but he took another couple of steps before hitting the floor.  Ref booked him for it.

BUT he made one huge mistake on the keeper. Every time i have seen a keeper handle outside the box i have seen a red card. Ref thought it was deliberate as he gave the free kick and booked Puddy. It was a goalscoring opportunity and the ball was heading towards the goal. The most obvious red card ever.

Holloway on BT embarrased himself by saying the keeper arms were by his side. You what??? What game were you watching?? Puddy came out made himself big to stop the ball and was a few yards outside his box. No way were his arms down by his side they were out stretched. i know Holloway is Rovers through and through but if you are being paid as a pundit at least be fair, unbiased and honest on your views. Of not ***k off because youre not worth listening to.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 18, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 18
Anybody remember Coyne at West Brom few years ago, and then he saved a penalty???
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Chrisblor
Getting a bit Back to the Future here, but if their keeper had gone off it would have been a totally different game rendering the situation with Magnay completely irrelevent.

You're right, they could have gained inspiration from going down to 10 men and tried even harder and gone on to win the game in normal time.

Like I said, pure speculation whereas the facts are plain to see why we did not achieve promotion.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 20
Anybody remember Coyne at West Brom few years ago, and then he saved a penalty???

Yep, got it on a video somewhere.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2015, 1:24pm; Reply: 21
I've seen something similar before

Donny Rovers v Oldham where the Oldham keeper did more or less the same thing as Puddy did yesterday. He also just got a yellow when everyone to a man expected red

Maybe depends on the refs view of whether it was a clear goal scoring opportunity being denied

I'd have said on what I saw yesterday it was a clear chance for Palmer but I haven't seen highlights to clear up if any of their defenders covered the goal while their keeping was playing netball

On another note though, I recall Phil Barnes and Rhys Wilmot both getting straight reds for taking the ball from out of the area. Both caught the ball and with continued momentum carried on outside of the box so got marching orders

Only the refs in question know how they come to their decisions but for us fans it just causes bewilderment at a lack of consistency
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 18, 2015, 1:39pm; Reply: 22
Was the Wilmot one at Notts County where we ended the game with 9 men
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 1:50pm; Reply: 23

The finish to yesterday was bad enough without bringing up bad memories like that, and wasn't the ref that day a well known tw@t as well. ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 24

It sure was...David Elleray in charge.

Say no more! Pompous ex public school teacher. Think Chesterfield have a soft spot for him too... a swamp probably! ;)

I was so incensed with the refs performance that day I rang up 606 and got on there to have rant

Duncan McKenzie was the guest host that night and I thought he would have been onside with me being a disgruntled Town fan but he never really engaged with what I was saying and then cut me off

Oh well...as I said rightly or wrongly, the ref's decision is final
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 18, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 25
Oh David Elleray, that pen that never was at home to Bolton still rankles
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:02pm