Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 15, 2015, 10:22am
I saw my first Mariners game in 1972, and I can honestly say that I've never been more apprehensive or nervous about a game than I am about Sunday. For me this is the biggest game in our history. Bigger than a couple of cup games in the 30's, bigger than a play-off final to move up a league within the leagues and bigger than that infamous day at Burton as even if we had won we'd have been relegated. So lets hope the boys do us all proud and they'll all be bloody legends. Losing is not an option.

This Town Knows!

UTM. GTID.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 15, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 1
It is the biggest game in our history.  The outcome will impact on this club for many years to come. A club with our long, proud history and traditions needs to get back back into the Football League.  Now is the best time.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 15, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 2
I had just quoted the title of this thread to a guy at work 15 minutes ago, (he's not bothered as I don't live in GY) and I was wondering the same.

Been watching Town since 1966 and there have been many big games but this is probably the most important.
Posted by: LH, May 15, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 3
It is certainly the most important game in our history. When you put a Conference play off final against two FA Cup semi finals I don't think you can even compare them for size though - without wanting to belittle the magnitude of Sunday's match in the slightest.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 15, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH
It is certainly the most important game in our history. When you put a Conference play off final against two FA Cup semi finals I don't think you can even compare them for size though - without wanting to belittle the magnitude of Sunday's match in the slightest.

Of course you can. The outcome of the FA Cup semi finals wouldn't have had such a huge bearing on our existence as a football club. You've got to ask for how much longer we can afford to go on losing the sort of money we do in the conference.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 15, 2015, 10:39am; Reply: 5
The biggest game in our history by far ,I will be reduced to tears one way or the other but I believe the torture as gone on long enough and it will be tears of joy and relief
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2015, 10:42am; Reply: 6
It certainly is the biggest game in our history,

Its a one off game that can ( will )  put us back in the football league,

The only other time we were relegated to non league,

We went straight back up as champions,

As Bristol Rovers will find out, it is not easy getting straight back up,

Five years is the norm now and we have done our five years.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 15, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 7
I believe it is, this is about the future of GTFC. All the other games have been and gone, history, and although maybe great memories for those who were there, this is the deciding match that could either provide us with more hurt, or glory again. If / when we win, it would / will be the first time we've won something of any real meaning since 1998 (17 years ago).

So is this the 'biggest' game in our history? Yes, it probably is. It is in my opinion.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 15, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 8
Yep, the anxiety is really kicking in now (and threads like this do not help  :P).
Posted by: psgmariner, May 15, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 9
Good diary from CA on the "biggest game in the club's history"

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5395
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 15, 2015, 10:58am; Reply: 10
It is, and I'm shitting it.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 15, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 11
http://www.tena.co.uk/men/products/free-sample/

Posted by: Maringer, May 15, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 12
I'm feeling rather relaxed about it myself, which is a bit of a surprise as I expected to be a bit nervy.

I'll probably be bricking it by the time kick-off comes about on Sunday afternoon!
Posted by: mariner91, May 15, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 13
Definitely the biggest game in our history in my eyes. It's such a difficult league to get out of and when you attach the stigma of non-league plus the loss of FL funding it's so hugely important that the club gets out sooner rather than later. There have been other big games in the past but I don't think any of them affected the future of the club the way this one will.
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 15, 2015, 12:03pm; Reply: 14
Agree, biggest game in our history. Being in the football league means so much, financial benefits are obvious but just recognition of highlights being shown on TV, better coverage, more fans through the home and away turnstiles. Being part of the 92 shouldn't be taken lightly as we discovered and went through the trap door. Hopefully it's our time Sunday and stay there for another 100 years, even if we finish 22nd next season it'll be worth it.
Posted by: northbankmariner, May 15, 2015, 12:16pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from LH

kind of agree with where LH is coming from on this one. but I am going to side with the majority. This game is huge, if only in the context that it will probably guarantee the running of the club on the same level for the foreseeable future and our long term structure and finances would be in a far healthier position if we were to regain our league status. but going back to the days of those semi finals. they were also massive as the chance to be in the show-case final of the best domestic cup competition anywhere in the world, and a chance to win it would never have been taken away from us in the history books.
Have not been getting carried away with the nerves and emotion of sundays  final YET, but I must admit we have a decent chance and my work colleagues are fed up of me going on about it lol.
Posted by: Bignic69, May 15, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 16
Absolutely massive game, i'm feeling calm and quite confident right now, come 13.35 on sunday when i take my seat, Im sure my bottom will drop
Posted by: big al, May 15, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
It is, and I'm shitting it.

I'm not that bothered really......the fact that I woke up in the night believing there was some kind of menacing form stood in the corner of the room, representing my anxiety about the game, is completely normal

Posted by: GrimRob, May 15, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 18
It's certainly the biggest game in living memory. We were one of the country's top sides in the 1930s. There must have been big games back then to stay in the top flight etc but it's hard to construct a case for them because most of the games have long been forgotten.
Posted by: LH, May 15, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 19
I know that this is the single most important game in our history. In terms of stature though it is nowhere near as big as an FA Cup semi final. I suppose what I'm getting at that in 80 years time hopefully this whole non-league debacle is forgotten about.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 15, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from LH
I know that this is the single most important game in our history. In terms of stature though it is nowhere near as big as an FA Cup semi final. I suppose what I'm getting at that in 80 years time this whole non-league debacle is forgotten about.

We hope!!!!

Posted by: big al, May 15, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LH
I know that this is the single most important game in our history. In terms of stature though it is nowhere near as big as an FA Cup semi final. I suppose what I'm getting at that in 80 years time this whole non-league debacle is forgotten about.

I agree. I think the difference is, the semi-finals were games about the position we deserved to be in football. This one is about getting out of somewhere that we shouldn't be in the first place. It is so incredibly 'all or nothing' If we lose, I think people will be gutted in a way they have yet to fully comprehend.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2015, 1:15pm; Reply: 22
No wonder you're all bricking it thinking it's the most important game in our history. Hope the squad aren't thinking like this.

More important than the game that took us down here?

Despite the fact that losing the FA Cup semis held no real jeopardy for us, I'd still go with them being more important. The FA Cup is THE most important competition in football. Without it, it's doubtful if football as we know it would have existed. It was only then that clubs started using the same rules for all games. Having the opportunity to win the most important club competition beats the opportunity to get a promotion (as difficult as it is to get out of the Conference).
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 15, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 23
Given the amount of ex Football League teams in the Conference now they could expand the Football League and call it the 3rd Division. Back in the League without the worry ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 15, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner
No wonder you're all bricking it thinking it's the most important game in our history. Hope the squad aren't thinking like this.

More important than the game that took us down here?

Despite the fact that losing the FA Cup semis held no real jeopardy for us, I'd still go with them being more important. The FA Cup is THE most important competition in football. Without it, it's doubtful if football as we know it would have existed. It was only then that clubs started using the same rules for all games. Having the opportunity to win the most important club competition beats the opportunity to get a promotion (as difficult as it is to get out of the Conference).

If you mean the Burton game, then at the end of the day it was totally unimportant. Even if we had won 10-0 on the day we would still have been relegated.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

If you mean the Burton game, then at the end of the day it was totally unimportant. Even if we had won 10-0 on the day we would still have been relegated.

Well yes, we were still needing 'snookers' but it could have turned out OK. And if not that maybe the game before was the important one?

Splitting hairs really, but I'd leave the "most important game" spinning to the Conference and the naff PA announcements at Wembley.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

Well yes, we were still needing 'snookers' but it could have turned out OK. And if not that maybe the game before was the important one?

Splitting hairs really, but I'd leave the "most important game" spinning to the Conference and the naff PA announcements at Wembley.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 27
Without a doubt
Posted by: Garth, May 15, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 28
Full of confidence that this is our year, and I will be there to see it
Posted by: topuphere666, May 15, 2015, 3:40pm; Reply: 29
The play off game in '98 at the time was massive, we were a reasonably well established 2nd tier club. We deserved to be back in Division 1. I don't think anyone would believe that 17 years later the same club would be heading back to Wembley to get back into the football league.

This game is a huge as they come for the club. Should we fail to go up it will open so many questions - have we got the budget to mount a serious challenge again next season?. What players would stick around etc?

We cannot afford to lose on Sunday!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 15, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 30
Fake movie poster twattery

[url=http://www.fakemovieposter.com/][img]http://fakemovieposter.s3.amazonaws.com/1431702044godmother.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 15, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 31
[youtube]vx33nJQT8Kg[/youtube]
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 15, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 32
Or maybe this one

[url=http://www.fakemovieposter.com/][img]http://fakemovieposter.s3.amazonaws.com/1431703437thehuntforredseptember.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted by: marinernige, May 15, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 33
A bit worried as i'm not the slightest bit nervous(at the moment). I feel quietly confident that Town can do this.
Think the fans will back them 100% and this will keep them going even if things don't start that well.UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 34
Know what you mean Nige. I feel the same. Most confident I've been about a final since 98. I usually get a gut feel on the morning of the game which is usually right. Never can tell till the morning of the game, but this feels OK.

Watching that vid that Nelly posted of the players before leaving BP reinforced my quiet confidence. Something about how they held themselves.

We've got a squad we can be proud of, regardless of the outcome. They've got the character. Every last man of them. They will do their bit. Well do ours.

This Town knows.
Posted by: Rick12, May 16, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Les Brechin
I saw my first Mariners game in 1972, and I can honestly say that I've never been more apprehensive or nervous about a game than I am about Sunday. For me this is the biggest game in our history. Bigger than a couple of cup games in the 30's, bigger than a play-off final to move up a league within the leagues and bigger than that infamous day at Burton as even if we had won we'd have been relegated. So lets hope the boys do us all proud and they'll all be bloody legends. Losing is not an option.

This Town Knows!

UTM. GTID.
For me though Les players just have to enjoy it and rise to the occasion and be better than the opposition.Has to come from their will Hurst can only do so much

Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:17pm