Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gastafari, May 9, 2015, 1:32pm
Gashead here

With just over a week to go until our Wembley showdown, I was interested to hear the opinions of you guy's.

I dont know about you, but I and a fair few of us Gasheads are absolutely bricking it.

Our entire future as a football club could hinder on this 1 game, we will find out by the end of this week the outcome of the High Court ruling regarding our much needed stadium, if the judge rules in favour of Sainsbury's and we lose in the Play Off final then I can honestly say we will be sailing down excrement creek without a paddle, so it is a huge, huge game for us.

But enough of that, I am not looking for any sympathy :)

If we dont win, then I am glad that you will get back up to where you belong

Grimsby(I know it's a cliche) are a proper Football League club and like ourselves should at least be in League One.

When I first started supporting Rovers in the late 80's, early 90's we were both mid table Division 2(What is now The Championship) clubs.

Anyway i'm babbling, obviously I hope we win, but if we dont it will be good to see you guys get back in The Football League, you have been down here far too long. Good luck guys, may the best team win on the day!

There's only one Craig Disley!

Posted by: petethemariner, May 9, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 1
I agree it is a massive game for both clubs, clubs who really should be plying their
trade in the FL, the annoying thing though is that if there was any fairness you would already
be up by finishing second and we would arguably have a better chance against teams that
finished below us.
Just hope that whoever loses bounces back and wins the league next year.
With your massive following and  a decent crowd from us, it should be  great atmosphere
with hopefully no trouble - Good luck to you - after next week of course!
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 9, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 2
Just hope we win. C'mon the Mariners
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 9, 2015, 4:44pm; Reply: 3
I wouldn't worry about not getting permission for a new stadium Gastafari. We've been waiting 20-odd years now.

On second thoughts maybe that's partly why we're down here.  :-/
Posted by: mimma, May 9, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 4
The one thing I would say to Rovers fans is the longer you stay down here, the more support dwindles. That's what has been happening to us over the years, the longer we stay the more fans we have lost. That is why this game is vital, probably more for us than you. We feel that we have more than done our time down here, were as one more (successful) season  for you wouldn't do that much more harm.

Good luck with your stadium plans, we had plans 20 years ago when we were top of what is now the Championship. We were screwed by NIMBYs & an inept council that took many years to make a decision. The main reason why we are where we are. I sincerely hope you get yours.

Good luck to Rovers (after Sunday of course!) & have a good day out next week.

UTM
Posted by: brigg_mariner, May 9, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 5
It's a massive game for both clubs, for different reasons.

I don't want to be going to Guiseley next season.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 9, 2015, 6:25pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from mimma
The one thing I would say to Rovers fans is the longer you stay down here, the more support dwindles. That's what has been happening to us over the years, the longer we stay the more fans we have lost. That is why this game is vital, probably more for us than you. We feel that we have more than done our time down here, were as one more (successful) season  for you wouldn't do that much more harm.

Good luck with your stadium plans, we had plans 20 years ago when we were top of what is now the Championship. We were screwed by NIMBYs & an inept council that took many years to make a decision. The main reason why we are where we are. I sincerely hope you get yours.

UTM

Don't think this is factually correct?

3683 this season

Thought it had increased since we first came down????
Posted by: Gastafari, May 9, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma

UTM

Us Gasheads are a weird bunch, our support seems to improve when we are on our knees.

Our Home and Away averages are better this season when we are at our lowest ebb than they were when we were in League One, that was despite playing the likes of Leeds, Forest, Southampton, Leicester and Norwich.

When we got relegated to the 4th tier for the first time in our history back in 2002 our averages were better than when we first moved back to Bristol in 1996 too, when he had a fantastic side under Ian Holloway.

Trust me, we know all about failed stadium plans, we have been after a new stadium for 30 years, we got chucked out of Eastville(Our spiritual home) back in 1985 and had to play in Bath for 10 years, we have had at least 5 stadium plans quashed by NIMBY'S over the years, even since we've been back in Bristol we've had problems even expanding our current home, it has been a disaster.

Fingers crossed we finally get the go ahead for this one, we are due a bit of luck, and we may be able to compete against that horrible red lot from South of the City once again, they've been rubbing our noses in it for far to long now.

How's Craig Disley performing for you guys? Us Gasheads love him, and we also have a lot of time for Stuart Campbell

Once again good luck guys
Posted by: GrimRob, May 9, 2015, 6:49pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BIGChris

Don't think this is factually correct?

3683 this season

Thought it had increased since we first came down????

Well up on when we first came down

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729

Our support dropped a lot on entering non-league but since then has held up pretty well.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 9, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Gastafari

Us Gasheads are a weird bunch, our support seems to improve when we are on our knees.

Our Home and Away averages are better this season when we are at our lowest ebb than they were when we were in League One, that was despite playing the likes of Leeds, Forest, Southampton, Leicester and Norwich.

When we got relegated to the 4th tier for the first time in our history back in 2002 our averages were better than when we first moved back to Bristol in 1996 too, when he had a fantastic side under Ian Holloway.

Trust me, we know all about failed stadium plans, we have been after a new stadium for 30 years, we got chucked out of Eastville(Our spiritual home) back in 1985 and had to play in Bath for 10 years, we have had at least 5 stadium plans quashed by NIMBY'S over the years, even since we've been back in Bristol we've had problems even expanding our current home, it has been a disaster.

Fingers crossed we finally get the go ahead for this one, we are due a bit of luck, and we may be able to compete against that horrible red lot from South of the City once again, they've been rubbing our noses in it for far to long now.

How's Craig Disley performing for you guys? Us Gasheads love him, and we also have a lot of time for Stuart Campbell

Once again good luck guys

What a irony we are almost identical in circumstances Dis as been a regular and part of our restructured team he as chipped in with some vital goals.

To me next Sunday will be a great day out and if we don't freeze and play to our potential will give you a real run for your money.

We took 33k to the old wembley in 98 (our first time ever at the stadium) and won the Johnsons paint trophy, just 2 weeks later in what was one of the last games at the old Wembley we beat Northampton in the play off promotion final taking 20k and being outnumbered by Northampton fans.

Next Sunday is massive for both of us  may the best team on the day win and hope the officials do not interfere,influence  and ruin the show because as you have probably gathered by now there are some absolute dross down here.
Posted by: mimma, May 9, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 10
The point I was trying to make was that the hard-core will always be there, but when we played Gateshead, which was a massif game, we were still in with a shout of the title, the gate didn't increase that much. In days of old we would have expected a far bigger attendance from casual fans, but they didn't turn up. There's a lot of fans that don't go at all anymore, but are still fans when there's a really big game.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 9, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Gastafari
Gashead here

With just over a week to go until our Wembley showdown, I was interested to hear the opinions of you guy's.

I dont know about you, but I and a fair few of us Gasheads are absolutely bricking it.

Our entire future as a football club could hinder on this 1 game, we will find out by the end of this week the outcome of the High Court ruling regarding our much needed stadium, if the judge rules in favour of Sainsbury's and we lose in the Play Off final then I can honestly say we will be sailing down excrement creek without a paddle, so it is a huge, huge game for us.

But enough of that, I am not looking for any sympathy :)

If we dont win, then I am glad that you will get back up to where you belong

Grimsby(I know it's a cliche) are a proper Football League club and like ourselves should at least be in League One.

When I first started supporting Rovers in the late 80's, early 90's we were both mid table Division 2(What is now The Championship) clubs.

Anyway i'm babbling, obviously I hope we win, but if we dont it will be good to see you guys get back in The Football League, you have been down here far too long. Good luck guys, may the best team win on the day!

There's only one Craig Disley!

Appreciate the warm post and the sentiment. Obviously I hope we win on the 17th but please be assured because clearly you have a massive "dyed in the wool" support from loads of massive Gas Heads despite the financial/stadium challenges if you lose your club will not die my friend!.    

Posted by: northbankmariner, May 9, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 12
I am feeling the pressure just like the gasheads out there. Really dissapointing one of the teams has to miss out this time round, I share their views entirely it is just a huge huge game for us both. Have no animosity towards Bristol rovers, a big club just going through hard times who in my opinion have been the best and most consistent side in the conference this year and should have won the league. Am not confident for next weekend just very very Hopefull. As the gas lad said May the best team win on the day and an enjoyable day is had. Looking forward to a record crowd for a conference game and a cracking atmosphere.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 9, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

What a irony we are almost identical in circumstances Dis as been a regular and part of our restructured team he as chipped in with some vital goals.

To me next Sunday will be a great day out and if we don't freeze and play to our potential will give you a real run for your money.

We took 33k to the old wembley in 98 (our first time ever at the stadium) and won the Johnsons paint trophy, just 2 weeks later in what was one of the last games at the old Wembley we beat Northampton in the play off promotion final taking 20k and being outnumbered by Northampton fans.

Next Sunday is massive for both of us  may the best team on the day win and hope the officials do not interfere,influence  and ruin the show because as you have probably gathered by now there are some absolute dross down here.

No we didn't.

Posted by: BIGChris, May 9, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

We won the Auto Windscreens Trophy and our game v Northampton was 2 & a half years before the old Wembley closed
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 9, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris

We won the Auto Windscreens Trophy and our game v Northampton was 2 & a half years before the old Wembley closed

Wasn't the last ever game Sept/Oct time 2000 when Germany won 1-0 and Dietmar Hamman scored the goal?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 9, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 16
Oh well that went well lol thanks lads
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 9, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wasn't the last ever game Sept/Oct time 2000 when Germany won 1-0 and Dietmar Hamman scored the goal?

Aye, when we had Keegan in charge.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2015, 2:05am; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Aye, when we had Keegan in charge.

Yeah he quit in the bogs after.
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 10, 2015, 10:09am; Reply: 19
Hoping for a great game but can genuinely see it going to pens. Two miserly defences, 1 scored in 120 minutes of league football between us although how Lenny didn't score on the opening day I don't know, more than made up for it. You will outnumber us fanwise but that's inevitable. Roll on the 17th!
Posted by: oldun, May 10, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 20
If there is any justice then I am sorry Mr Gashead but you will just have to wait your turn this is The Mariners' year. We have served our time, 3rd year in the playoffs and this time we have made it to the final, so there is no way we will throw away all that hard work and effort. Of course you are to be congratulated on having a good season but your failure to secure top spot was the beginning of the end this time round. Enjoy your day out and we will be delighted if you join us in league 2 next year.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 21
Can't be easy being a Brizzle Rovers fan at the moment, though they have secured Wembley they must be feeling the pressure with City getting there in the "Auto Paint trophy" and taking 35,000+ as well as p1ssing league 1 and getting promotion to the championship. Additionally there is a massive development of Ashton Gate as well.  
Posted by: Gastafari, May 10, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 22
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Can't be easy being a Brizzle Rovers fan at the moment, though they have secured Wembley they must be feeling the pressure with City getting there in the "Auto Paint trophy" and taking 35,000+ as well as p1ssing league 1 and getting promotion to the championship. Additionally there is a massive development of Ashton Gate as well.  

Absolutely.

They are prospering because a multi billionaire has spunked hundreds of millions on them over the past decade, he has also purchased Bristol Rugby club and labeled them Bristol Sport Ltd, so they are nothing more than a franchise now.

While we on the other hand haven't got a pot to urine in, that is why we desperately need our new stadium. City are redeveloping Ashton Gate and to be fair it will look fantastic when its finished, that is why it is so important for us to get our new stadium, if it finally get's built then we will have a state of the art 25,000 seater stadium we can call our own, and with that hopefully some new investment will help us achieve our potential and be able to compete with that horrible red lot again.

If we lose our stadium battle and lose in the Play Off Final then it could be curtains for us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Gastafari

Absolutely.

They are prospering because a multi billionaire has spunked hundreds of millions on them over the past decade, he has also purchased Bristol Rugby club and labeled them Bristol Sport Ltd, so they are nothing more than a franchise now.

While we on the other hand haven't got a pot to urine in, that is why we desperately need our new stadium. City are redeveloping Ashton Gate and to be fair it will look fantastic when its finished, that is why it is so important for us to get our new stadium, if it finally get's built then we will have a state of the art 25,000 seater stadium we can call our own, and with that hopefully some new investment will help us achieve our potential and be able to compete with that horrible red lot again.

If we lose our stadium battle and lose in the Play Off Final then it could be curtains for us.

We too have "plans" for a new stadium but doubt it will ever happen or we could ever fill it.......... Bristol is a big City so there is potential for 2 well supported  clubs I'm sure..........  

I have a work colleague who is a massive gas head (H&A every week) and I sense there is an added pressure to get up in the first season?
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2015, 11:39am; Reply: 24
I've always thought the 2 clubs should merge, imagine those beautiful red and blue quarters ;)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 9:55pm